BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Jason N

Partly my own fault I suppose, but I'm scrambling to get a new tire mounted on my 202 rear tubular.  I had lent it to a friend a few months ago, he got a flat, I bought a new tire and he reglued it for me as his way of paying me back (he's a broke college kid...I wasn't about to make him starve for a week and pay for the tire).  But I waited till last weekend to pick it up from him (he glued it 6 weeks ago) and only yesterday did I pump it up and test it out.  Turns out the tire is defective as it has a small bulge in it.  I got it off ebay (Vittoria Corsa CX) so I suppose I may have been buying from a bad batch.  Price wasn't super cheap...around $70, but less than the normal $90.

I ripped the tire off, reinflated it, and the bulge is still there, so it's not the rim.  I was able to pick up a pair of spares that a friend had that are already pre stretched and will glue them on tomorrow once I land in Maui.  Shipping the bikes via an air cargo service today.  Glue should have about 16 hours to set, and since the course is all uphill, I'm not worried.

Just venting that I think I'm done with tubulars.  This will be the 4th time I will have to replace a tire and I've only used the wheels for one race as a complete set.  This is the 4th time I've had to replace the tire less than 3 days before a race.  Sigh.

Hoping to sell them and maybe get a set of FLO 30's which aren't the lightest, but at least have some aero properties.  That and I could actually use them for fast training rides without worrying about flatting a tubular or damaging an expensive rim.

On a positive note...my legs feel great.  

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

As to the bolded - don't you have to get back down afterwards?  

2014-06-26 3:49 PM

User image

Good luck Jason, looking forward to the report!   Unless you have a place picked out, Paia Flatbread was pretty darn good for pizza and beer after that ride.  Course, I would've eaten a scabby baby after that, so my recollection may be skewed.

2014-06-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

They don't let you ride down when participating in the race.    I suppose it's probably a good idea as people would likely treat the descent as a race too...even if unofficial.  They shuttle us and the bikes down...which is a good thing because the descent takes about 90 minutes and the last thing I need is to be squeezing my brakes for that long.  I remember in the past that my shoulders and biceps would start to tingle a bit (on the verge of cramping) at the end of this race.

2014-06-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Good luck Jason, looking forward to the report!   Unless you have a place picked out, Paia Flatbread was pretty darn good for pizza and beer after that ride.  Course, I would've eaten a scabby baby after that, so my recollection may be skewed.

In the past, the after party is in the parking lot behind Paia Flatbread and Maui Cyclery.  Trash cans full of Maui Brewery beer and flatbread pizza!!!

2014-06-26 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hope you have a great race, Jason!  [and that the tire gluing isn't too big of a pain....that sounds like a terrible PITA though, to be honest!]

I'm flying out tomorrow morning for Buffalo Springs 70.3 on Sunday.  It's very strange how much calmer I am going into this race than I was for St. George 70.3.  My training hasn't been quite as ideal as it was for SG, but I think I'm at a slight benefit coming off the SG build and residual fitness.  The BS course is supposed to be one of the more challenging on the 70.3 circuit....guess I seem to pick the hard races.  Maybe next year I'll race a flat, easy course (Galveston 70.3)....knowing me, I probably wouldn't PR on an "easy" race :P

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2014-06-27 7:03 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good Luck Jason & Nicole!

I am running a 15K race tomorrow.  It is going to be on dead tired legs but figure it will help things as I focus on building my run.  Sub 1hr would be nice...probably start at that pace and evaluate how the legs feel.

2014-06-27 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

They don't let you ride down when participating in the race.    I suppose it's probably a good idea as people would likely treat the descent as a race too...even if unofficial.  They shuttle us and the bikes down...which is a good thing because the descent takes about 90 minutes and the last thing I need is to be squeezing my brakes for that long.  I remember in the past that my shoulders and biceps would start to tingle a bit (on the verge of cramping) at the end of this race.

I just googled that race - that looks so awesome....and painful!!

2014-06-27 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Originally posted by ChrisM

In the past, the after party is in the parking lot behind Paia Flatbread and Maui Cyclery.  Trash cans full of Maui Brewery beer and flatbread pizza!!!

Dude! Is this it? http://www.strava.com/segments/623325

That is some epic stuff. Know that all of us in the mainland are drooling right now. Best of luck!
2014-06-27 8:21 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good luck Jason, Nicole and Ryan!

2014-06-27 9:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ditto - hope you all CRUSH it this weekend!

Matt

2014-06-28 8:53 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Good luck everyone racing this weekend Jason, Nicole, Ryan and Rusty.......Enjoy!

2014-06-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Did a short run yesterday -- legs felt heavy. Rode a few miles of the bike course this morning -- flatted. Swam a bit after my ride -- Garmin claimed I was swimming at a 2:22/100y pace. I'm hoping this is the universe's way of getting all the suck out before the race!
2014-06-28 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4997734

Awesome race. Can't wait to do a formal report.
2014-06-28 8:11 PM

Originally posted by Jason NAwesome race. Can't wait to do a formal report.
Tease. Funny I was just looking at the website for results. Waiting......
2014-06-28 9:40 PM

Got in 50 miles with 4700 ft of climbing today, not as much as Jason, but....   Also am trying some new shoes for SOS, Zoot TTs.   A little nervous as I've been running in the same shoes for years, but need something lower profile and that can drain.   Today's brick went well though.  

On another note, huge props to wheelbuilder.  I've posted here about my issues with the weird calibration etc.  I contacted them and they said if I'd cover shipping they'd warranty a G3 hub internal rebuild (it's a pro), even though it's out of warranty.  So hopefully I'll have reliable power back soon.

Hope all are having a good weekend of racing/tapering/training.

2014-06-29 5:21 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

That's great Chris, I've heard nothing but good things about Wheelbuilder and Powertap customer service.

Jason, looks like an awesome race, can't wait for the RR!

I got in an 88km ride with Tab yesterday.  She had a specific workout with power targets and my workout was to ride with her .  She was on her TT bike and I was on my roadie.  Since we rode together I made lots of interesting aero observations - none of which are surprising and would be what you would expect but interesting none the less.

Typically if we both ride our TT bikes, our power numbers tend to be fairly close if we ride together.  She's almost as tall as me and weighs 5-10 lbs less.  

- We did 4 x a 19.2km loop and it was a pretty consistent 40w difference between her power and mine over each loop.  I stayed up on the hoods for 90% of it.
- She had a huge advantage over me on the downhill sections - once we got up to higher speeds the wattage difference was more like 80-100w and I was getting down in the drops to try to keep up.  
- Staying in aero on a hill really does make a difference, we had a 1km hill on each loop that isn't terribly difficult but I'm sure that many triathletes would sit up for it during a race.  Difference up the hill was 30w with her staying in aero for the whole thing (she's way better at that than me).  There was another short hill at the start of each lap that she stayed out of the aerobars for and the difference up that was 3-5w.
- Not an aero thing but you can make up a lot of ground by having good cornering skills.  Based on the road races I did last year mine aren't all that great compared to the roadies but compared to hers, they are.  Maintaining speed and taking a good line made a big difference.

So nothing surprising there but it was interesting to me.  

2014-06-29 7:03 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Did a 20 min easy run to test out the knee this morning.  No pain at all!

I love my Osteopath.

2014-06-29 7:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by axteraa

- Staying in aero on a hill really does make a difference, we had a 1km hill on each loop that isn't terribly difficult but I'm sure that many triathletes would sit up for it during a race.  Difference up the hill was 30w with her staying in aero for the whole thing (she's way better at that than me).  There was another short hill at the start of each lap that she stayed out of the aerobars for and the difference up that was 3-5w.

So nothing surprising there but it was interesting to me.  

I agree. For me, when the grade gets past a certain point, I need to sit up, however the moderate grades are much faster for me staying in aero. With my back issues, I am simply smarter to sit up on the bullhorns on climbs to stretch out though.

My back appreciates sitting up a bit too.  I think also, in a big race, people tend to bunch up on the hills so you get a little draft benefit - even if you are passing them.

2014-06-29 12:26 PM
in reply to: spudone

Extreme Veteran
Nicole has held 5th spot through the swim, into the bike and past the first part of the run. Still in 5th.

2014-06-29 12:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
and finished 5th !!

Congratulations

s 00:33:17
b 02:59:25
r 02:03:21
t 05:40:42

Edited by marcag 2014-06-29 12:29 PM
2014-06-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow, congratulations Nicole!  Great race!

I take it that run course is not easy given that none of the pros ran under 1:20?

2014-06-29 2:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by marcagand finished 5th !!Congratulations s 00:33:17b 02:59:25r 02:03:21t 05:40:42
Seriously tough day out there!! The course is challenging in and of itself...and usually you get intense heat or strong wind -- we got both! I'm super happy with how most of the race went, but I did hit a wall pretty hard at mile 11. Going to have to mull it over to figure out what caused it, but I negative split my run and passed a ton of people on the run, which literally never happens. RR to come later...beer now, then seeing if I'm lucky enough to snag a 70.3 slot.
2014-06-29 8:06 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Great job Nicole.  Going to take me a few hours to pull together a proper RR, but for the time being...I'll "prove it."

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74224 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.