BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-09-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Looking for some moral support and you guys are the only ones who would understand...

Have you ever experienced loosing friends because of your life style?
My friends know I've been doing races for years now. In addition to racing my life is full of all other stuff, work school, kids, and all sorts of activities. I fit social life in there too. For the last few years it worked well, but in the last few months some of my friends become sort of annoyed with the fact it's hard to schedule any activities together.

To be more specific, I'll give some examples: a group of my closes friends is planning a hiking trip. If I want to join, they have to consider the date based on my race schedule. Again, it has never been a problem, plus - very important - I never ever pushed them to make decisions based on my life. If it doesn't work for me, then they can go without me, no pressure. But lately, they complain about it. I keep reminding them they should schedule it based on the weather and availability of others from the group, but in the last few months every time the trip doesn't work out, I take the blame because: "we wanted to schedule it that week, but couldn't because of your race, so we moved it to this week and this week is raining..."

Sorry, it may seem silly, but it's also very frustrating. I value my friendships and social life, but at the same time - that's my life style. I accept my friends' life style of having weekends devoted to shopping and cleaning their houses. This is not my life style. I don't know, I try to just smile every time I hear the comments, but I am starting to question if those are only jokes, or if people don't like the fact someone is different.

2017-09-22 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Looking for some moral support and you guys are the only ones who would understand... Have you ever experienced loosing friends because of your life style? My friends know I've been doing races for years now. In addition to racing my life is full of all other stuff, work school, kids, and all sorts of activities. I fit social life in there too. For the last few years it worked well, but in the last few months some of my friends become sort of annoyed with the fact it's hard to schedule any activities together. To be more specific, I'll give some examples: a group of my closes friends is planning a hiking trip. If I want to join, they have to consider the date based on my race schedule. Again, it has never been a problem, plus - very important - I never ever pushed them to make decisions based on my life. If it doesn't work for me, then they can go without me, no pressure. But lately, they complain about it. I keep reminding them they should schedule it based on the weather and availability of others from the group, but in the last few months every time the trip doesn't work out, I take the blame because: "we wanted to schedule it that week, but couldn't because of your race, so we moved it to this week and this week is raining..." Sorry, it may seem silly, but it's also very frustrating. I value my friendships and social life, but at the same time - that's my life style. I accept my friends' life style of having weekends devoted to shopping and cleaning their houses. This is not my life style. I don't know, I try to just smile every time I hear the comments, but I am starting to question if those are only jokes, or if people don't like the fact someone is different.

Quick thoughts - As i became more involved in this life style I started stay out late on Friday and Saturdays less and less. Training and races also started to impact other outings.  Over time I started to lose contact with friends with whom I'd mainly see at those times and made friends with people who were doing the same things I was doing. It was sort of a gradual progression.  I'm at the end of an IM training block and the need to get my workouts in and sleep when i actually have a chance has meant that I've missed some dinners and other things with family/friends, but i have made a concerted effort to make sure that I don't miss all of the activities. It is important to have some balance in your life -even while training like it is a part time jobI My family and current friends understands when I can't go to a late dinner or i show up to dinner with swimmer's hair! 

I think there is a tendency for people who don't swim/bike/run or do some other physical activity to not get and, in some cases, even maybe slightly resent that you are being physically active and leading a healthy lifestyle.  Plus, if these are people you became friends with before you got involved in triathlon, they may have an even harder time understanding or accepting that you're priorities have changed.

Behind their jokes is their true feelings! Still, I hope all works out with your friends and you can find a healthy balance that includes them.

2017-09-22 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
To be honest.... to me that sounds kind of mean-spirited! You can't be blamed for the weather! Maybe they are just upset that they didn't get to do their hike. What's to say if they DID plan to hike on your race day that they wouldn't have been rained out as well?! Dunno--maybe I've misread it. Just sounds rude.

I don't usually have this issue. I'm kind of a loner. Some of that is personality and some just the people I have available to socialize with. At my age and in an ex-pat environment, most colleagues and others I might meet are married with kids. They do different things on weekends that are often centered around kid-friendly venues and family outings. The younger crowd is more into drinking and partying. There are some women close to my age, but we don't share many interests--they are passionate about art and/or yoga. I can put up with the latter for an hour or two, but really not interested in something like a week-long retreat or master class series. Tri for me is almost an excuse NOT to spend a lot of time socializing with people! I don't mind it most of the time--I actually kind of enjoy it. But I do feel sad when I go to events and everyone else has family or tri club buddies at the finish to celebrate/hang out with and I don't. ( I would at Vietnam 70.3 as we have a small "club" of triathletes centered around a local bike shop, not at other races.)
2017-09-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

September 23-24

Janyne - YMCA Wrightsville Beach Sprint on Saturday
TJ - Ironman Chattanooga on Sunday (#1285)

Is anyone else racing?

Lisa will be in Chattanooga volunteering

Good luck, racers! Smile for those cameras!! TJ, I will be stalking you!

2017-09-22 9:18 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Proof of life post here.

I've been incredibly busy at school. It seems that we are spending more and more time on paperwork crap, I mean stuff, and less time able to plan and teach. We also have meetings 3 days a week before school and that cuts into planning time as well. So, I've been doing the paperwork crap during my planning period and my planning at 9 every night, after I finish my workouts and dinner. I just wish I could focus on what I love to do instead of data and the tracking of data and everything else they throw at us. The kids are getting really tired of hearing about data and scores as well. Just let us teach!!!

2017-09-22 9:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fortissimo Proof of life post here. I've been incredibly busy at school. It seems that we are spending more and more time on paperwork crap, I mean stuff, and less time able to plan and teach. We also have meetings 3 days a week before school and that cuts into planning time as well. So, I've been doing the paperwork crap during my planning period and my planning at 9 every night, after I finish my workouts and dinner. I just wish I could focus on what I love to do instead of data and the tracking of data and everything else they throw at us. The kids are getting really tired of hearing about data and scores as well. Just let us teach!!!

No you don't.  My parents are both retired teachers, Mom was just this past year. Both are so happy to have been finishing up when they did with some the extra stuff that's been coming in. Dad would have lost his mind and gone on a rampage.

2017-09-22 10:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Not racing, but up at Trek CXC this weekend. Brother did alright for himself in an Open race though is a Cat 5 (all abilities go together here), saw the some of the men's & women's pro races. Katie Compton dominated in the women's. UCI champ dropped out due to heat. Have had 65-75 or so for highs for a at least a few weeks here, and suddenly it's hitting at least 90 every day now. Breaking 80 for a few days in early September is not unusual, but 90's scorching this late. Saw the days Legends race, where they have a cycling legend race with what's basically an Open field, in costumes. Opening sprint was lead by a slice of pizza, and then Sven Nys. Merman, vikings, cows, penguins, ET, etc, a (not) Katie Compton. Katie is way more scary than any dude trying to dress as her though. Tomorrow will be Jens Voigt.

Tomorrow (Saturday) my brother gets a Cat 4/5 race and his ~3 yr old son will do a kids race (CX, yes) on a coaster bike. Not really any hills, but there are a couple short barrier jumps. Sunday should repeat that but also have a full pro field in the afternoon (this is the primary race). 

2017-09-23 1:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is one of the main reasons why I prefer to teach internationally. There is still some of that at most schools, but the trend now is away from standardized testing and towards integrated, project-based learning and more holistic assessment, at all levels except perhaps high school IB and AP tracks. That of course opens up a whole new set of issues and extra work (trying to develop meaningful projects, making sure that kids keep improving skills and assessing their skills in other ways, even when those aren't the central focus of instruction and evaluation) but at least it's more interesting work for both kids and teachers than endless standardized testing and analysis of the results.
2017-09-23 2:24 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by marysia83

Looking for some moral support and you guys are the only ones who would understand...

Have you ever experienced loosing friends because of your life style?
My friends know I've been doing races for years now. In addition to racing my life is full of all other stuff, work school, kids, and all sorts of activities. I fit social life in there too. For the last few years it worked well, but in the last few months some of my friends become sort of annoyed with the fact it's hard to schedule any activities together.

To be more specific, I'll give some examples: a group of my closes friends is planning a hiking trip. If I want to join, they have to consider the date based on my race schedule. Again, it has never been a problem, plus - very important - I never ever pushed them to make decisions based on my life. If it doesn't work for me, then they can go without me, no pressure. But lately, they complain about it. I keep reminding them they should schedule it based on the weather and availability of others from the group, but in the last few months every time the trip doesn't work out, I take the blame because: "we wanted to schedule it that week, but couldn't because of your race, so we moved it to this week and this week is raining..."

Sorry, it may seem silly, but it's also very frustrating. I value my friendships and social life, but at the same time - that's my life style. I accept my friends' life style of having weekends devoted to shopping and cleaning their houses. This is not my life style. I don't know, I try to just smile every time I hear the comments, but I am starting to question if those are only jokes, or if people don't like the fact someone is different.

Over the past few years the friends I hang out the most with are my active friends. My other friends are always still there for me and that's what makes them good friends. Life's too short to worry about other people's issues. You can two then straight up this is the deal (easier said than done).
2017-09-23 2:25 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

September 23-24

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, racers! Smile for those cameras!! TJ, I will be stalking you!

?? go team!! Tj you can be sure we'll all be stalking
2017-09-23 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
So... I did something stupid today. I decided to move a large piece of deck, by myself. I lost control and it dropped on the back of my calf. I was sure I broke my leg when it happened. Fortunately, I didn't but a have a knot and massive bruise on my calf. I decided to take the weekend off and let it heal, and I will resume training Monday. I'm glad I'm in my taper, but it freaked me out. I cannot take myself out three weeks from Louisville,

Edited by JBacarella 2017-09-23 6:03 PM

2017-09-23 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

September 23-24

Is anyone else racing?

Go Janyne and TJ
2017-09-23 7:21 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella So... I did something stupid today. I decided to move a large piece of deck, by myself. I lost control and it dropped on the back of my calf. I was sure I broke my leg when it happened. Fortunately, I didn't but a have a knot and massive bruise on my calf. I decided to take the weekend off and let it heal, and I will resume training Monday. I'm glad I'm in my taper, but it freaked me out. I cannot take myself out three weeks from Louisville,

Oh no, quick healing!!

2017-09-23 10:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Brother did alright in his race this morning, not too far behind a friend of his. It'd help if he had a better hole shot to start the race, clear by some idiots who fall over on everything. No awareness of things like the entire field getting off for an obstacle and just flat wiping out on it. Or not realizing the fly-over is there, one of the biggest features on the course that can be seen from about anywhere.

His son did well in the kids race (not juniors yet). Only a handful of them in it, but still means something getting on the podium. They just like waving their hands around.

Niece got a photo with one of the team girls, that just made her day.

Family was talking with some guy sitting nearby. He really wanted one of the event hats and ran off to get one, but were sold out (already). Brother just gave him his since he works there. Guy was much appreciative. Turns out this was Jim Gentes, and had retired not too long ago from a helmet company, Giro, that he started.

Also able to help change the course over for tomorrow. Some of these things are just wicked. An off-camber downhill was tricky to just walk down.

Edited by brigby1 2017-09-23 10:26 PM
2017-09-24 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ is out of the water and on the bike!

Swim 01:08:42

T1: Swim-to-bike 00:14:00

Edited by jmkizer 2017-09-24 9:35 AM
2017-09-24 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like they got a nice release from the dam today in Chattanooga-- 13,566 cfs!

From what I hear, water temp was 77.9 so not WTC wetsuit legal.

The first bike split is at 32.3...

2017-09-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Denver, CO
Go TJ!!!
2017-09-24 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

It looks like they got a nice release from the dam today in Chattanooga-- 13,566 cfs!

I wish Louisville's swim was like Chattanooga's- if it were i may not look so pathetic

I understand Augusta wasn't wetsuit legal as well.

2017-09-24 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

TJ is out of the water and on the bike!

Swim 01:08:42

T1: Swim-to-bike 00:14:00

go TJ!

2017-09-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I wish Louisville's swim was like Chattanooga's- if it were i may not look so pathetic

Well, we do have that upstream section so if they really opened the dam, we might not like it too much!

2017-09-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

CHOO isn't a full 17 hour cutoff so I think it's only fair they have the downstream swim :D

GO TJ!!!!!

2017-09-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Gooooo TJ!  Hope you had a good race yesterday, Janyne!

2017-09-24 12:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

CHOO isn't a full 17 hour cutoff so I think it's only fair they have the downstream swim :D GO TJ!!!!!

i don't begrudge them the downstream swin, I'm just jealous. it seems like the fall IMs all have less then 17 hrs.  LOuisville is 16.5, so not as bad as Choo, especially since Choo also has a long bike!

2017-09-24 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, we do have that upstream section so if they really opened the dam, we might not like it too much!

i thought about that and decided they could open the dam after I make the turn

2017-09-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5228540

User image

Denver, CO
TJ has less than 10 left to go on the bike and she's going strong!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44