Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-05-02 6:27 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29
Anne - Driftless 100 (gravel)
Leanne - Tour de Pickle 75

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I did the Bike MS150 on Saturday with my 13-year-old daughter.  She has been cycling for 10 weeks to train for the 50-miler.  She did amazing.  She is a mini-manatee.  So..two bucket list events in the books last month; Boston and MS150.  

Now I am get to enjoy a slow build for a few month.  there are two local Sprint Triathlons and a big Olympic triathlon 2 hours away this month but I think I am going to wait until October to race again.  There is a Doggie Splash & Dash in June that I have been thinking of doing.  My family rehomed our Corgi a year and a half ago, so I don't know who I can use for my team mate in the splash and dash.  I have two family pets to choose from.  I think the Chow-Chow is out.  He has too much wool and I think that it would soak up water like a sponge and pull him under.  It's too bad because his is the more trainable of the two dogs.  The other is a mix of possibly a Chinese Crested and who know what else (breeds?).  She is probably my best option.   Hmm...how to train?  Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

That looks like so much fun! Sorry. I've only successfully trainer labs, and I'm not sure you want it to retrieve ducks. But I would love to see a Chinese Crested mix try.

I agree with everything Jim said (minus the lab stuff)! I've not done a doggie aquathon but my dog runs with me on pretty much all my runs up to 12ish miles. He also swims, so I think it would be a blast to do one. My dog is a wire-haired pointing griffon, so a sporting breed dog which means he was bred to run and swim which also means I didn't have to do much training to get him running and swimming. Training a Chinese Crested would be something else!

2023-05-02 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

......Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

That looks like so much fun! Sorry. I've only successfully trainer labs, and I'm not sure you want it to retrieve ducks. But I would love to see a Chinese Crested mix try.

I wish I had a Lab.  Their tails are like a rudder and an extra paddle in the water and their paws and short hair make them ideal for aquathon.  So...training starts tomorrow.  I will be taking Whinny for a 1-mile run.  I hope she is good on the leash.  I have been trying to leash train her for a year for neighborhood walks and it hasn't gone as well as I had hoped.  Maybe jogging  will be more her pace.  Swimming?  I will figure something out.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-05-02 8:16 AM
2023-05-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

....I agree with everything Jim said (minus the lab stuff)! I've not done a doggie aquathon but my dog runs with me on pretty much all my runs up to 12ish miles. He also swims, so I think it would be a blast to do one. My dog is a wire-haired pointing griffon, so a sporting breed dog which means he was bred to run and swim which also means I didn't have to do much training to get him running and swimming. Training a Chinese Crested would be something else!

My brother has a Wire-haired Pointing Griffon that is about 14 years old (and has three feet in the grave).  It seems that the cards are stacked against me, but we will start by seeing if my dog can run.  It is a 200yd OWS and a 2K run.  It looks like swim times from last year were 3:45 - 21:30 and run times were  7:00 - 18:00 with 2:00-25:00 minutes for T1.  So...we have our work cut out for us.  

2023-05-02 8:53 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

....I agree with everything Jim said (minus the lab stuff)! I've not done a doggie aquathon but my dog runs with me on pretty much all my runs up to 12ish miles. He also swims, so I think it would be a blast to do one. My dog is a wire-haired pointing griffon, so a sporting breed dog which means he was bred to run and swim which also means I didn't have to do much training to get him running and swimming. Training a Chinese Crested would be something else!

My brother has a Wire-haired Pointing Griffon that is about 14 years old (and has three feet in the grave).  It seems that the cards are stacked against me, but we will start by seeing if my dog can run.  It is a 200yd OWS and a 2K run.  It looks like swim times from last year were 3:45 - 21:30 and run times were  7:00 - 18:00 with 2:00-25:00 minutes for T1.  So...we have our work cut out for us.  

Anybody can do a doggie aquathon with a sporting breed dog, but doing one with a Chinese Crested is a real feat! I'm sure you will have a blast. Can't wait to see the pictures.

2023-05-02 9:10 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Thanks! Tour de Pickle was fun! I ended up riding most of solo. Most people decided to the 50 miler or 25 miler. But...even alone the time flew by!

Woo hoo!

2023-05-02 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I did the Bike MS150 on Saturday with my 13-year-old daughter.  She has been cycling for 10 weeks to train for the 50-miler.  She did amazing.  She is a mini-manatee.  So..two bucket list events in the books last month; Boston and MS150.  

Now I am get to enjoy a slow build for a few month.  there are two local Sprint Triathlons and a big Olympic triathlon 2 hours away this month but I think I am going to wait until October to race again.  There is a Doggie Splash & Dash in June that I have been thinking of doing.  My family rehomed our Corgi a year and a half ago, so I don't know who I can use for my team mate in the splash and dash.  I have two family pets to choose from.  I think the Chow-Chow is out.  He has too much wool and I think that it would soak up water like a sponge and pull him under.  It's too bad because his is the more trainable of the two dogs.  The other is a mix of possibly a Chinese Crested and who know what else (breeds?).  She is probably my best option.   Hmm...how to train?  Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

Congrats on BikeMS with your daughter! How cool is that?

No doggie aquathon training tips but it sounds fun!

2023-05-02 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

......Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

I wish I had a Lab.  Their tails are like a rudder and an extra paddle in the water and their paws and short hair make them ideal for aquathon.  So...training starts tomorrow.  I will be taking Whinny for a 1-mile run.  I hope she is good on the leash.  I have been trying to leash train her for a year for neighborhood walks and it hasn't gone as well as I had hoped.  Maybe jogging  will be more her pace.  Swimming?  I will figure something out.

Doesn't Sean have a lab? Maybe borrow it if Whinny ends up not working out?

2023-05-02 9:46 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Anybody can do a doggie aquathon with a sporting breed dog, but doing one with a Chinese Crested is a real feat! I'm sure you will have a blast. Can't wait to see the pictures.

That would be so great!!

Congrats on the BikeMs - I used to love doing those rides. We drive down to NC for one in 2010 because those events are so much bigger than they are in CT.

As far as dogs go, we adopted our Riplee because the group told us "she'll make a great running buddy." In fact she had run 3 miles with her foster mom that morning.

Well Riplee figured out real fast that running blows and napping is better. Or running around in circles at daycare - but definitely not with me. It's a good thing she's cute. I posted in the adoption group page a tongue in cheek post that I wanted a refund. Some people got really upset! HA!
2023-05-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

That would be so great!! Congrats on the BikeMs - I used to love doing those rides. We drive down to NC for one in 2010 because those events are so much bigger than they are in CT. As far as dogs go, we adopted our Riplee because the group told us "she'll make a great running buddy." In fact she had run 3 miles with her foster mom that morning. Well Riplee figured out real fast that running blows and napping is better. Or running around in circles at daycare - but definitely not with me. It's a good thing she's cute. I posted in the adoption group page a tongue in cheek post that I wanted a refund. Some people got really upset! HA!

Ya...you got the run around on that pet adoption.

2023-05-04 8:16 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

That would be so great!! Congrats on the BikeMs - I used to love doing those rides. We drive down to NC for one in 2010 because those events are so much bigger than they are in CT. As far as dogs go, we adopted our Riplee because the group told us "she'll make a great running buddy." In fact she had run 3 miles with her foster mom that morning. Well Riplee figured out real fast that running blows and napping is better. Or running around in circles at daycare - but definitely not with me. It's a good thing she's cute. I posted in the adoption group page a tongue in cheek post that I wanted a refund. Some people got really upset! HA!

Ya...you got the run around on that pet adoption.

OH that face tho!!!

(Screenshot_20230501-201906_Instagram.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot_20230501-201906_Instagram.jpg (109KB - 9 downloads)
2023-05-04 1:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

This is awesome!!!

2023-05-05 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7
Janyne - Race to Valhalla gravel event on Saturday
Leanne - White Lake International on Sunday
Anne - "Homemade" gravel camp in Missouri

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-05-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

My daughter is coming home for the summer from her first year in college this weekend!!!
2023-05-05 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go ladies go!

2023-05-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

My daughter is coming home for the summer from her first year in college this weekend!!!

Yay!

2023-05-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Nice!

2023-05-05 1:28 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

May 6-7

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Wooo hooo, racers!!  Have a fun and safe time out there, manatees!

2023-05-08 5:48 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Race went really yesterday! But today's I feel horrible with a headache. Hoping coffee helps!
2023-05-08 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Race went really yesterday! But today's I feel horrible with a headache. Hoping coffee helps!

C'mon coffee!

2023-05-19 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21
Leanne - Chattanooga 70.3 - Sunday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-05-19 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a great race Leanne!

2023-05-20 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a great race Leanne!

Have tons of fun, Leanne
2023-05-21 7:04 AM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good Luck Leanne!
2023-05-21 8:10 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Leanne!
2023-05-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

May 20-21

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Leanne!

The pro race (women) is streaming live. It gave me something to watch while I did my trainer ride. Looks like a nice day - cooler than any time I've raced there! Paula Findley is crushing the field on the bike - up over 4 minutes on 2d. I think she is averaging about 27 mph. Pretty much the same way I've ridden that course

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33