BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-05 7:19 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
LATE to the table here to join. But I def need some form of a group again.

Bio: It will be 5 years ago this April that I found an old friend when I was looking to get into Triathlons. I came onto BT and started asking around. Low and behold a girl in my town was on BT and offered to Meet up and discuss triathlon. Low and behold it was an old friend from College that had moved back this way and I didn't even know. Anyways she has become my best friend and my training partner. We had a bit of a fall out in the last year but are back talking again. Partially due to my many life changes. 5 years ago I was 285+ lbs and 5'6" tall. I managed to get down to 190 lbs but was still 5'6" tall. I generally maintain better around 205 lbs. Today I am 230 lbs and I took all of last year off triathlon, running was a huge issue which I couldn't seem to overcome. To lay it all on the line I have had a ton of life changes in the last 2.5 years. Divorced, new GF 15 month old daughter, put my best friend my dog down and changed jobs. Sounds like a lot but all of these were changes for the better. I have a better partner in life, a better job 5 mins from home now and two step kids and a wonderful daughter. Now it is time to put triathlon, scuba diving and skydiving back in my life this year. I did do some scuba diving around the great lakes last year and I am starting to think about travelling more for diving now. After 20 years I have done almost everything in the great lakes from 20' deep to 330' deep.

NAME: Chris, Spanky, Techdiver
STORY: Simple I have gained 25-30 lbs and I feel like crap and I am tired. I want to get back into shape lose weight and feel better again.
FAMILY STATUS: common law, 8 yr old Step daughter, almost 5 yr old step son, 15 month old daughter, 1 Dog, 1 cat, rental cats and dogs as my better half is going through to be a vet tech and keeps bringing animals home from school.
CURRENT TRAINING: Started back in late Nov with some running and spin classes
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: debating what races I want to do still. Short course stuff this year for the return
BODY COMPOSITION: Short Stocky. My mom always said I was a little husky. ha. Large calf and quad muscles. Which help on the bike and cause me to sink while swimming and short legs don't do well for running. Basically I am not triathlete material but it is what I love to do.

2015-01-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Melon Presser

Welcome, PoofDaddy!

Yeah, Manatees ... I couldn't say no. I got worn down with pics. Also, his now-spirit dog Superpoof aka Sasha intervened on his behalf. She keeps me warm during cold IMs, so ... here's her human.

2015-01-05 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Welcome, PoofDaddy!

Yeah, Manatees ... I couldn't say no. I got worn down with pics. Also, his now-spirit dog Superpoof aka Sasha intervened on his behalf. She keeps me warm during cold IMs, so ... here's her human.

Welcome indeed! I have updated the table in my log to include (hopefully) everyone at this point. Feel free to grab a copy if you want it, although you may want to chop off the bottom.

2015-01-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Well, I had my first adventure out on the bike on Saturday. First of all, damn my hamstrings were burning! I guess the spin classes weren't preparing me as much as I thought they were.

Anyway, I thought I would go for a quick 18 miler or so. Out and back to a small town. On the way out I was battling a head wind (front just blew through) and was only able to manage 15-16 mph. Thought I would be able to maintain more than that, but chalked it up to the head wind and was looking forward to the tail wind on the way back.

So I get to the halfway point, get off and stretch for a bit and drink some water. Then hop back on and start making my way back. I got a couple hundred yards down the road and my rear tire felt funny. Get off, yep it's flat. Long story short, I screwed up using the CO2 cartridge and had to ride the flat all the way back. .

So here's a pic of my bike.

Untitled

And since we're posting pet photos, here's my 8 year old lab, Jet.

Untitled

Edited by Jet Black 2015-01-05 8:53 AM
2015-01-05 8:51 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Well, it looks like I'm going to need some mentoring on how to post pics.

Edit: never mind, figured it out.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-01-05 8:54 AM
2015-01-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome, Chris.  Since there are now 2 Chrises in addition to the 2 Matts and 2 Michaels, guess we better come up with a way to tell you two apart.  How about Chris Can (you) and Chris Ban (cdban66)?  Or we can just call you Spanky. 

Let me know if you want in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1).  It started on 1/1 but since you just joined us, I think we could squeeze you in.  Don't want you to miss out on ALL the Manatee mayhem. 

2015-01-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, it looks like I'm going to need some mentoring on how to post pics. Edit: never mind, figured it out.

And I'm glad you did. Sweet bike, sweet puppy, and way to go toughing it out headwind and flat!

2015-01-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by laffinrock

Welcome, Chris.  Since there are now 2 Chrises in addition to the 2 Matts and 2 Michaels, guess we better come up with a way to tell you two apart.  How about Chris Can (you) and Chris Ban (cdban66)?  Or we can just call you Spanky. 

Let me know if you want in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1).  It started on 1/1 but since you just joined us, I think we could squeeze you in.  Don't want you to miss out on ALL the Manatee mayhem. 

You can call me Spanky if you want. My most common nickname. or hell call me what you please I won't be offended.

Thank you for the welcome. Will see how this goes after a year off. I am just reading up on 18 pages and trying to catch up. I am sure I am willing to get into whatever challenge is out there. This is why I am here. Challenges and accountability, without it I spend time playing with kids and eating icecream and making other bad choices...ha.

I will hopefully get caught up and find out what the challenge is by end of day. We have no heat at work and I am wearing my sweater, coat and toque still. 54 degrees F in my office. BRRRRR.
2015-01-05 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Hope everyone had a good new year.  I'll start out by posting a picture of my racing machine!

2015-01-05 9:52 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Techdiver

You can call me Spanky if you want. My most common nickname. or hell call me what you please I won't be offended. Thank you for the welcome. Will see how this goes after a year off. I am just reading up on 18 pages and trying to catch up. I am sure I am willing to get into whatever challenge is out there. This is why I am here. Challenges and accountability, without it I spend time playing with kids and eating icecream and making other bad choices...ha. I will hopefully get caught up and find out what the challenge is by end of day. We have no heat at work and I am wearing my sweater, coat and toque still. 54 degrees F in my office. BRRRRR.

Call you what I want, just don't call you late for dinner?    The challenge is basically do something, anything, 10 min. a day.  If you want to make a harder goal, just PM me with the details.

No heat--yikes!!  At least you'll stay awake.  Hope it comes back on soon.

2015-01-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pennsylvania

Proof of life post.  Sorry, it's been a busy few days and I fell some 5 pages behind with the chatty manatees!  Welcome, all those new manatees I've missed greeting, and welcome back Kate!  Thanks for all the adorable pet pics and hot bike pics, too!  Now to learn everybody's names...

Reader's Digest version of things: Dad got his port installed Friday and starts chemo this Thurs.  I've managed to secure the DE brother as transport for the next chemo session next week, now I'm going to try to find someone for the 3rd session so I don't blow through all my family sick/PTO time right away.  I think Dad gets a week off before the next cycle begins.

I officially started training with my coach on New Year's Day, and he'll either kill me or whip me into the best triathlete I've ever been, hopefully the latter and not the former!  But seriously, I like his workouts so far and know having a coach will be a huge benefit to me, there is no doubt that if I follow his plan I will be physically ready for Syracuse in June.  I'm also digging being able to sync TP with Garmin Connect and also being able to upload TrainerRoad workout files to Garmin Connect, too, so he can see what's going on without a bunch of extra effort from me.  All I have to do is add any workout notes.

2015-01-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Welcome, PoofDaddy!

Welcome indeed! I have updated the table in my log to include (hopefully) everyone at this point. Feel free to grab a copy if you want it, although you may want to chop off the bottom.

Would guess coming with the name "Spanky" didn't exactly hurt the case here.

2015-01-05 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

You can call me Spanky if you want. My most common nickname. or hell call me what you please I won't be offended. Thank you for the welcome. Will see how this goes after a year off. I am just reading up on 18 pages and trying to catch up. I am sure I am willing to get into whatever challenge is out there. This is why I am here. Challenges and accountability, without it I spend time playing with kids and eating icecream and making other bad choices...ha. I will hopefully get caught up and find out what the challenge is by end of day. We have no heat at work and I am wearing my sweater, coat and toque still. 54 degrees F in my office. BRRRRR.

Welcome to the Pod, Spanky!!  :D 

2015-01-05 10:25 AM

User image

Master

Call you what I want, just don't call you late for dinner?    The challenge is basically do something, anything, 10 min. a day.  If you want to make a harder goal, just PM me with the details.

Maybe shivering will count for his 10min of activity for the day?

2015-01-05 10:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Proof of life post.  Sorry, it's been a busy few days and I fell some 5 pages behind with the chatty manatees!  Welcome, all those new manatees I've missed greeting, and welcome back Kate!  Thanks for all the adorable pet pics and hot bike pics, too!  Now to learn everybody's names...

Reader's Digest version of things: Dad got his port installed Friday and starts chemo this Thurs.  I've managed to secure the DE brother as transport for the next chemo session next week, now I'm going to try to find someone for the 3rd session so I don't blow through all my family sick/PTO time right away.  I think Dad gets a week off before the next cycle begins.

I officially started training with my coach on New Year's Day, and he'll either kill me or whip me into the best triathlete I've ever been, hopefully the latter and not the former!  But seriously, I like his workouts so far and know having a coach will be a huge benefit to me, there is no doubt that if I follow his plan I will be physically ready for Syracuse in June.  I'm also digging being able to sync TP with Garmin Connect and also being able to upload TrainerRoad workout files to Garmin Connect, too, so he can see what's going on without a bunch of extra effort from me.  All I have to do is add any workout notes.

Glad you're getting some help with your dad. Keeping you guys in our thoughts.

Excellent news on your coach...hope the smooth sailing with him continues. If he's getting you physically ready, who's helping with the mental part....US????

2015-01-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Anyone have suggestions for the grippiest deepest tread trail shoes possible?

2015-01-05 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

I trust today will be better.

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-05 11:14 AM
2015-01-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by melbo55

Glad you're getting some help with your dad. Keeping you guys in our thoughts.

Excellent news on your coach...hope the smooth sailing with him continues. If he's getting you physically ready, who's helping with the mental part....US????

I do the same thing with TP and really like it too.  Go, Melanie, go!!  But also, don't hesitate to tell your coach if you feel like he's pushing you too hard.  You know your limits better than he does. 

Good that your brother is stepping up to help.  It won't be easy, but at least you're not bearing the entire responsibility yourself and can have a bit of a break.  Way to take care of yourself!  (((Hugs)))

2015-01-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

Well, you certainly got your workout in!!  Glad you only fell off your trainer and not the roof.

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I sure hope so! 

I'm actually glad to hear that you fell off the trainer (given that you didn't get hurt, of course!), as I've come darn close before and thought it was just me.

Well, maybe it's just "us," but that's at least some company. 

Matt

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh man! I've come close to doing that but fortunately never actually fell. Glad you are ok.

Our roof started leaking last winter, right over our oldest son's electronics . DH and DS1 got if fixed with no major damage.

Glad you weathered the storm and got yours fixed as well.

Happy Monday

2015-01-05 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, you certainly got your workout in!!  Glad you only fell off your trainer and not the roof.

Good point!

2015-01-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

Hope everyone had a good new year.  I'll start out by posting a picture of my racing machine!

DROOL....

(full disclosure, my road bike is a Venge - but that still just looks sweet!)

And welcome Spanky!

Matt

2015-01-05 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Today will be better. Good luck with the roof repair. At three stories. Let the pros do it. They have the gear and knowledge. I was looking at fixing my gutters last summer, got up on roof 3 stories and looked over the edge and said NOPE! Ill call someone.
2015-01-05 11:51 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Maybe shivering will count for his 10min of activity for the day?

First thanks Monica for the hello. Long time no chat.

Does this count as my 10 mins today. I plan on going to spin class later. I am sure I can commit to 10 mins a day every day. This gives me a reason to do some yoga even on down days.

I was about to shave my Movember beard off but it has remained. Let me know if link works. I had to do some transferring of phone/work computer etc. Any photo site is blocked at work. So I won't be able to tell

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150105_110316.jpg[/IMG]

Guess that didn't work. I am going to have to review how to post to this again.

Edited by Techdiver 2015-01-05 11:53 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55386 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.