BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-08 12:50 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by msteiner

I had a good race.  My team was the fastest of all the relays.  They extended the bike for 2.5 miles due to a detour from construction.

My pace was only 23.1 at 215W, which is pretty disappointing when I was a mile per hour faster last year on a similar course (didn't have power for that one).  I had a rough May as far as training goes with the honeymoon and my crash, so I expected some edge to be lost, but that was a rough ride for me. 

I'll get back into the groove.

Congrats on your team win!! Still sounds pretty fast to me!! Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Great job on as others have already said a very tough course.  And finishing this type of challenge is the win.

2015-06-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Jet Black

Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished.......
1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes
2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes)
3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills.

if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win.

and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Congrats on finishing a very tough race!! Don't let preconceived notions determine how good you did. You rocked it!

And on the tatoos, if it doesn't come off easy, just leave it alone. It will come off with time. No use risking a scar (guilty).

Thanks all. Yeah, it was HARD! LOL On the run I heard there was a big hill at mile 10 - well about mile 9.5 I came around a corner and looked up and was like OMG this is a joke, right? Where's the go around?! I think mentally that's where I was broken too LOL

I've tried the tape & rubbing alcohol. Guess I'll go buy some baby oil after work. My next stop is gasoline.
2015-06-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey pod-mates.

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say I'm pulling the plug on Sweden and Worlds at the end of the month - and not because I'll miss the race (this is just a hobby, after all).

Just found out over the last couple days that my mother has been diagnosed with cancer (FOURTH time).  She's survived breast cancer (14 years), lung cancer (3 years), colon cancer (recently but entirely resected) and now has what appears to be lymphoma, although we won't know until after the biopsy this Thursday and the pathology results (definitely cancer, though).

This year we're going back to New England a bit early and will spend a bit over a month with family there.  Very much looking forward to that on its own, but now it has much more importance...  While I've always wanted to see Sweden during the summer solstice, that happens EVERY year. 

Anyway, thanks to all for the encouragement leading up to the race, and I'm sure I'll need a bit of that for other reasons going forward.

I might be a bit out of touch, with work/kids and this, but will check in when able.

Again, with gratitude to the pod,
Matt

2015-06-08 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by msteiner

I had a good race.  My team was the fastest of all the relays.  They extended the bike for 2.5 miles due to a detour from construction.

My pace was only 23.1 at 215W, which is pretty disappointing when I was a mile per hour faster last year on a similar course (didn't have power for that one).  I had a rough May as far as training goes with the honeymoon and my crash, so I expected some edge to be lost, but that was a rough ride for me. 

I'll get back into the groove.

Congrats on your team win!! Still sounds pretty fast to me!! Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Congrats on finishing a tough race!  We may have not got the results we wanted, but we still got solid results.

2015-06-08 1:10 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey pod-mates.

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say I'm pulling the plug on Sweden and Worlds at the end of the month - and not because I'll miss the race (this is just a hobby, after all).

Just found out over the last couple days that my mother has been diagnosed with cancer (FOURTH time).  She's survived breast cancer (14 years), lung cancer (3 years), colon cancer (recently but entirely resected) and now has what appears to be lymphoma, although we won't know until after the biopsy this Thursday and the pathology results (definitely cancer, though).

This year we're going back to New England a bit early and will spend a bit over a month with family there.  Very much looking forward to that on its own, but now it has much more importance...  While I've always wanted to see Sweden during the summer solstice, that happens EVERY year. 

Anyway, thanks to all for the encouragement leading up to the race, and I'm sure I'll need a bit of that for other reasons going forward.

I might be a bit out of touch, with work/kids and this, but will check in when able.

Matt

Oh Matt, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  You and your family are in our thoughts.

2015-06-08 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Wow. Sorry about Sweden but most importantly prayers for your mother and the family. Sounds like she's a fighter!!!

2015-06-08 1:12 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

What awful news, Matt.  You're right, though, getting to spend time in NE this year definitely takes priority.  The rest of it can wait.  (((Hugs))) and positive thoughts coming your way, friend.

2015-06-08 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Oh Matt, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  You and your family are in our thoughts.

Matt, I truly hope that things work out for the best. I'll be thinking of you and yours through out the summer.

2015-06-08 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.
Congrats on finishing a very tough race!! Don't let preconceived notions determine how good you did. You rocked it! And on the tatoos, if it doesn't come off easy, just leave it alone. It will come off with time. No use risking a scar (guilty).
Thanks all. Yeah, it was HARD! LOL On the run I heard there was a big hill at mile 10 - well about mile 9.5 I came around a corner and looked up and was like OMG this is a joke, right? Where's the go around?! I think mentally that's where I was broken too LOL I've tried the tape & rubbing alcohol. Guess I'll go buy some baby oil after work. My next stop is gasoline.

I've been thinking a lot lately about HIM strategy and I believe it is right about that 9-10 mile mark in the run that is the equivalent of 20 miles into a marathon.  It is that point where you can get to on training, etc. but from then on it becomes guts.  I would have hated to see that hill but you perservered and got to the top off it.

2015-06-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by rrrunner

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Wow. Sorry about Sweden but most importantly prayers for your mother and the family. Sounds like she's a fighter!!!

x 2 Matt. Somethings pale in comparison to sports.  Take care and enjoy the time with family.  I hope for the best.

2015-06-08 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

You gotta take care of what's important.  I'll keep your and your family in my thoughts.

2015-06-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Randee,

I saw your comments on the Quassy run and I immediately thought of this race report.

The run section starts like this:

I was so happy to have survived the bike that I really didn't pay attn to the course elevation of the run. Hmmm... that was a mistake. So I took off from T2 with a jog. I ran the first 3miles which were a slow climb out of town. I grabbed sponges at every aide station and shoved them down my top, I dumped ice down my shorts. It was just SO HOT. I turned the corner to head out of town and looked up to my horror to see what seemed to be a huge uphill.

2015-06-08 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

I join the others saying that I am very sorry to hear about your mother's health.  I will keep you all in my thoughts and hope that she is just as successful fighting this round as the last 3!!  

2015-06-08 2:05 PM

User image

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Matt, sending hugs, positive thoughts, and everything else your way.
2015-06-08 2:15 PM

User image

Randee,

I saw your comments on the Quassy run and I immediately thought of this race report.

I was so happy to have survived the bike that I really didn't pay attn to the course elevation of the run. Hmmm... that was a mistake. So I took off from T2 with a jog. I ran the first 3miles which were a slow climb out of town. I grabbed sponges at every aide station and shoved them down my top, I dumped ice down my shorts. It was just SO HOT. I turned the corner to head out of town and looked up to my horror to see what seemed to be a huge uphill.

I hate when you round a corner and find yourself face-to-face with a big hill! Great job Randee! You kicked rear on your race!

I agree with Steve about mile 9-10 is the breaking point on the run during a HIM. The old Boulder 70.3 was a two loop run course and right out of T2 you went down hill and then rounded a corner for two long up hills. The first go around was bad enough, but the second time, ugh! The second loop I was running up the first hill and a guy yells, "You realize your the only one running, right?" I'm thinking to myself, "I can make it to that tree. Okay, now I can make it to that sign," all the way up the hill. On the second hill another guy informs me I'm the only one running. Yes, I was slower than turtles in peanut butter, but I was running. When a third guy yelled "why are you still running?" I thought about the question and walked the rest of the hill. Peer pressure, I tell ya! This year the course has been changed so while it's still two loops, it no longer has the huge hills. I'm actually disappointed because I wanted revenge!
2015-06-08 2:20 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Aww Matt I'm so sorry to hear this - she sounds like a tough lady!!

Best wishes for you and your family. Please check in now and again

2015-06-08 2:25 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee,

OMG THAT is ME! LOL that Utah 70.3 was just named the Hardest! http://www.triathlonbusinessintl.com/tbi-winners-top-10-multisport-...

and out of the final 5, Quassy was in there as well.

And thanks Steve and Robin - I've heard of the marathon wall at mile 20 but I really never thought about it in tri terms - and you're right, it was there in front of me and I kicked it's a$$ I kept hearing my PT in my head (I just saw him a few days earlier and we were actually talking about IMMT). He said "just keep moving forward" so that's what I did.

You guys turned my day around
2015-06-08 2:56 PM

User image

Master

Nice work racey racers!  I find it so interesting that we are all so hard on ourselves...it takes that outside viewpoint to bring everything back into perspective

2015-06-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Matt, so sorry to hear your mom has to battle again.  She does sound like a fighter though.  Positive and peaceful thoughts to you all.

2015-06-08 3:06 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Matt,

I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother. Life is not fair sometimes and you wonder why some people have to face so many challenges. Your mother is obviously a very strong woman, but I'm sure you're so grateful that you'll be able to spend an extended amount of time with her to help bring her strength and happiness. She and your entire family will be in my prayers.

Sean
2015-06-08 3:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Your mom sounds like one tough, strong, woman to kick cancer's butt THREE times.  Here's hoping the best for her and your family this go 'round.  Spending time with her is paramount, as you realize, triathon doesn't come close.  (((hugs)))  Cancer really sucks.

2015-06-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IronOx

Nice work racey racers!  I find it so interesting that we are all so hard on ourselves...it takes that outside viewpoint to bring everything back into perspective

That is so very true Kirsten. 

2015-06-09 1:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey pod-mates.

Matt

Your mom sounds like one tough, strong, woman to kick cancer's butt THREE times.  Here's hoping the best for her and your family this go 'round.  Spending time with her is paramount, as you realize, triathon doesn't come close.  (((hugs)))  Cancer really sucks.

Well, not Monday Podnews I thought I'd be reading up on

What Mel said x a whooooooole lot.

Add this Manatee's thoughts and prayers for her.

2015-06-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

I'm so sorry to hear that Matt. However it is great that you get to spend some extended time with her. Like you said, solstice in Sweden will be there for you when you are good and ready. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts! 

2015-06-09 4:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I hopped in the pool for the first time since Age Group Nationals yesterday.  That was fun.  My speed wasn't too bad, but I could feel myself wearing out fast.  Only swam 900m.

Did a FTP test this morning, and ended with 251W making 237 my current FTP.  That's down 13 watts from my result in late March.  Starting the rebuild!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.