BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-28 12:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by marysia83  I had exact same feelings haha But I am new to the forum and had no idea about those mentor groups. I mean - I knew they existed, but I thought it was only for the pro's So glad to be here Now - in addition to swim/run/bike fast I also need to master reading fast, because it's so many awesome posts going on in here have a great day everyone! Mary

Yeah, the mentor groups are more buddy-like. Everyone checking in on each other and seeing how our lives are going. TT is more specific questions about doing something. Can see each of these in the other, but see the general trends going. The groups will certainly answer questions as best they can, but TT can also draw in some more very knowledgeable people at times if you can get through some of the well meaning posts that don't say or help as much. Like in your swim endurance thread. If someone like k9car takes the time to post something about swimming give it a good read. He's seriously good at it and can post some fantastic explanations of things. With him in particular, you would probably identify with breaststroke being his strength, and back in the day he actually beat a world record in it!

2015-10-28 12:23 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83  I had exact same feelings haha But I am new to the forum and had no idea about those mentor groups. I mean - I knew they existed, but I thought it was only for the pro's So glad to be here Now - in addition to swim/run/bike fast I also need to master reading fast, because it's so many awesome posts going on in here have a great day everyone! Mary

Yeah, the mentor groups are more buddy-like. Everyone checking in on each other and seeing how our lives are going. TT is more specific questions about doing something. Can see each of these in the other, but see the general trends going. The groups will certainly answer questions as best they can, but TT can also draw in some more very knowledgeable people at times if you can get through some of the well meaning posts that don't say or help as much. Like in your swim endurance thread. If someone like k9car takes the time to post something about swimming give it a good read. He's seriously good at it and can post some fantastic explanations of things. With him in particular, you would probably identify with breaststroke being his strength, and back in the day he actually beat a world record in it!

Are you for real? That's interesting! (I absolutely love everything related to breaststroke. Everything and everyone) Yea - I agree, things like this you will find out only in "buddy-like" groups.

And I love the puppy/kitty pictures
Mary
2015-10-28 12:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

Are you for real? That's interesting! (I absolutely love everything related to breaststroke. Everything and everyone) Yea - I agree, things like this you will find out only in "buddy-like" groups. And I love the puppy/kitty pictures Mary

Hey I started liking that stroke more too once my knee was strong enough to handle the kick. The twist and lateral action found the one weak spot in it I hadn't seen in other activities.

2015-10-28 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeah, it helps to know who to listen to and who not to. I currently have a bike question I posed, with the hope that one of the people that I know has done this sort of thing could give me an idea of what to expect.  What I got back in some cases was not pertinent and in other cases was off base or only somewhat helpful. Oh yeah, I also got two answers that said, "go look over here for an answer".  Um, thanks, but I have access to a variety of websites and have been looking around already, although I do see that someone made an effort.  I specifically asked for ideas, anecdotes and experiences. I got one out of three. In the end, I'll find the member that was running that configuration (Chris Morelock) and have the discussion via PM.  That does no good to the general public, especially not to those that may find value in alternative ideas.

None of it bothers me, I just find it interesting.  It took me a little while to figure out who is worth reading for what.  BTW, I learned that post count should not be equated with knowledge, just a willingness to share. 

2015-10-28 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti Welcome Maria! I've seen your posts and glad you're here!Welcome Wienerlisa!!! Bentley's a fave of mine too and I miss hearing stories about him ... also you left the bit out about basically being a child prodigy in your bio.

With Yanti around, none of our secrets are safe!

What's a secret? :P Must be something like underwear (what's that?) or that no-place where the 2nd socks go (although if 2 socks are clean -- enough -- they match).

No idea why my formatting is all screwy!

IMPORTANT TOPIC

I know it's been discussed here and the main forums in BT as well. 

For better (for us) or worse (for BT), it seems this group has become the Best of BT and a kind of BT haven. Believe me, I understand the (many) reasons why some of us aren't more active in the main forums. "Stay out of tri talk" used to be something Manatees and TANners alike said to me nearly daily!

I also know many of us have done a lot of (free) work for the site--advice, beta testing, mentoring, etc.--and really felt like we weren't being listened to or appreciated.

Ron's ears are open. They have to be. I think there is much of BT that's good, that's not obsolete, and still the best of its kind available.

Just throwing it out there.

Hi Yanti, glad to see you and Kingsley and Mutti are doing well!  As far as the BT topic - I have to say that I haven't been in tri talk in forever.  My BT time is spent in this forum, in the logs and race reports.  I don't know if it's the site or me, but there ya have it!

I just joined the pod, so my immediate reaction is still to post in Tri Talk. And honestly....ya'll move so fast it is tough to keep up! For instance, I posed in Tri Talk about Vineman being aquired by WTC...it got one response. Then I popped over here and saw it got a few mentions, and I thought, "whoops, guess I should have brought it here instead."
I had exact same feelings haha But I am new to the forum and had no idea about those mentor groups. I mean - I knew they existed, but I thought it was only for the pro's So glad to be here Now - in addition to swim/run/bike fast I also need to master reading fast, because it's so many awesome posts going on in here have a great day everyone! Mary

WAIT!  You're not a pro?!

2015-10-28 2:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Yeah, it helps to know who to listen to and who not to. I currently have a bike question I posed, with the hope that one of the people that I know has done this sort of thing could give me an idea of what to expect.  What I got back in some cases was not pertinent and in other cases was off base or only somewhat helpful. Oh yeah, I also got two answers that said, "go look over here for an answer".  Um, thanks, but I have access to a variety of websites and have been looking around already, although I do see that someone made an effort.  I specifically asked for ideas, anecdotes and experiences. I got one out of three. In the end, I'll find the member that was running that configuration (Chris Morelock) and have the discussion via PM.  That does no good to the general public, especially not to those that may find value in alternative ideas.

None of it bothers me, I just find it interesting.  It took me a little while to figure out who is worth reading for what.  BTW, I learned that post count should not be equated with knowledge, just a willingness to share. 

Yeah, if it wasn't you asking I might have put up a number of similar questions. Others wouldn't quite get how much you already knew and need to check, whereas in here there would be more familiarity with that. As it is, I didn't really have anything to add as I haven't worked with 1x before. My advice there would to mainly look at what makes a 1x setup (which you would probably already have found) and that it would likely include a new chainring that's meant to work like this. They can have taller teeth with maybe a slight different profile. Plus the wide/narrow width of them to better fill in the spaces of the chain. And, well, there you go.

2015-10-28 3:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti Welcome Maria! I've seen your posts and glad you're here!Welcome Wienerlisa!!! Bentley's a fave of mine too and I miss hearing stories about him ... also you left the bit out about basically being a child prodigy in your bio.

With Yanti around, none of our secrets are safe!

What's a secret? :P Must be something like underwear (what's that?) or that no-place where the 2nd socks go (although if 2 socks are clean -- enough -- they match).

No idea why my formatting is all screwy!

IMPORTANT TOPIC

I know it's been discussed here and the main forums in BT as well. 

For better (for us) or worse (for BT), it seems this group has become the Best of BT and a kind of BT haven. Believe me, I understand the (many) reasons why some of us aren't more active in the main forums. "Stay out of tri talk" used to be something Manatees and TANners alike said to me nearly daily!

I also know many of us have done a lot of (free) work for the site--advice, beta testing, mentoring, etc.--and really felt like we weren't being listened to or appreciated.

Ron's ears are open. They have to be. I think there is much of BT that's good, that's not obsolete, and still the best of its kind available.

Just throwing it out there.

Hi Yanti, glad to see you and Kingsley and Mutti are doing well!  As far as the BT topic - I have to say that I haven't been in tri talk in forever.  My BT time is spent in this forum, in the logs and race reports.  I don't know if it's the site or me, but there ya have it!

I just joined the pod, so my immediate reaction is still to post in Tri Talk. And honestly....ya'll move so fast it is tough to keep up! For instance, I posed in Tri Talk about Vineman being aquired by WTC...it got one response. Then I popped over here and saw it got a few mentions, and I thought, "whoops, guess I should have brought it here instead."
I had exact same feelings haha But I am new to the forum and had no idea about those mentor groups. I mean - I knew they existed, but I thought it was only for the pro's So glad to be here Now - in addition to swim/run/bike fast I also need to master reading fast, because it's so many awesome posts going on in here have a great day everyone! Mary

WAIT!  You're not a pro?!

Ooops.....
2015-10-28 4:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Welcome Lisa! 

Janyne, OMG sooooooooo cute.

Erin Love the pics. I really want to do a Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Arches, Grand-Staircase-whatever-the-heck-else-National-Forest-Park-ETC-Extravaganza. Doing notable runs in each location. BTW, do you guys have a 4x4 to get to some of these places (this may or may not be a self serving question with a follow-up  

You would LOVE it (them)! Jason decided to go home the southern route through Monument Valley...I pouted because he chose the "ugly" way. Yes, I think going through Capitol Reef and Torrey is even more beautiful.    We've decided our next big trip will be Yellowstone and Glacier when the weather warms up, and after Costa Rica in March.

4x4 is usually required for where we want to go out into BLM and Wilderness areas away from the more visited/easily driven. Most of those roads/trails are mapped-marked and road-signed as "High Clearance: 4WD only" or "Primitive". However, 4x4 isn't necessary for getting to main trailheads. We just like to get away and explore. Plus, many easy-access campsites have dirt bikes/quads coming and going; not what we're looking for. So far Canyonlands, North Rim, back trails in Arches, and Glen Canyon Rec Area are parks where we've used 4WD. Zion and Bryce don't have much in the way of back roads. Pretty sure they're mostly hike/pack in from parking areas.

Here's our 08 Land Cruiser (the latest addition to the garage) and a section of trail on that wall we just descended in the background.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-10-30 10:47 AM

(walltrail.jpg)

(cruiser.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
walltrail.jpg (75KB - 4 downloads)
cruiser.jpg (55KB - 3 downloads)
2015-10-28 4:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am so jealous right now I cannot tell
Mary
2015-10-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

Another awesome adventure with great pics Adrienne.  Would be pretty cool if you could run Monument Valley in March.  I was watching the movie Desert Runners and then I saw this and thought it is the same type of epic run (considerably shorter) without having to go to China or South America.  Here is the link again.

http://www.grandcircletrails.com/monument-valley-general-info/

Oh that's very cool!

I'm hesitant to RACE something like this. I do these mountainous runs because I really enjoy taking in the scenery. I stop and take about a million photos. Take the time to boil some water and have coffee on the top of some rugged peak. I wonder if that would be lost if I were caught up racing? 

A big advantage would be that support is provided. So, I could sign up and not race per se. But, I wonder if I could really do that 

yeah, think we were discussing this some before. At what point is something more of an event than a race? Slowing down a little to take it in is one thing, but stopping for pictures and such is another. A number of the bike things I've been to the past few years have been clearly on the event side even though the effort can be pushed up for them. I don't know if running has that so much. Even with the more laid back attitude a lot of off road runs have, it could still be a fairly significant attitude/cultural shift in the feel of these.

Getting to Monument Valley would be so cool simply because a fair amount of Airwolf was filmed there.

thanks for the earworm.

They have this series labeled as "events". Would be safe to say most people will go into these for the experience vs the XXk PR?  Even their "Latest" page is experience oriented.  http://www.grandcircletrails.com/latest-news/    I think laid back (and then some) is the expectation.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-10-28 5:38 PM
2015-10-29 12:26 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

>In Bali now, will be in Jakarta a few days between now and Nov. 3 when I leave for Perth. Back in Indonesia Dec. 9, back to Australia early Jan.

Some idiot (AKA HUSBAND) thought it was a good idea to sign up for 20km Rottnest Channel Swim late February. It's a miracle neither of us have asked the other for a divorce yet

So the Jan/Feb tri calendar looks like this:

17 Jan Rockingham - Sprint
31 Jan Busso - Olympic
21 Feb Elizabeth Quays - Sprint (if the new Quays is finished in time otherwise maybe venue change)

Any chance of joining me for any?

2015-10-29 7:22 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Another awesome adventure with great pics Adrienne.  Would be pretty cool if you could run Monument Valley in March.  I was watching the movie Desert Runners and then I saw this and thought it is the same type of epic run (considerably shorter) without having to go to China or South America.  Here is the link again.

http://www.grandcircletrails.com/monument-valley-general-info/

Oh that's very cool!

I'm hesitant to RACE something like this. I do these mountainous runs because I really enjoy taking in the scenery. I stop and take about a million photos. Take the time to boil some water and have coffee on the top of some rugged peak. I wonder if that would be lost if I were caught up racing? 

A big advantage would be that support is provided. So, I could sign up and not race per se. But, I wonder if I could really do that 

yeah, think we were discussing this some before. At what point is something more of an event than a race? Slowing down a little to take it in is one thing, but stopping for pictures and such is another. A number of the bike things I've been to the past few years have been clearly on the event side even though the effort can be pushed up for them. I don't know if running has that so much. Even with the more laid back attitude a lot of off road runs have, it could still be a fairly significant attitude/cultural shift in the feel of these.

Getting to Monument Valley would be so cool simply because a fair amount of Airwolf was filmed there.

thanks for the earworm.

They have this series labeled as "events". Would be safe to say most people will go into these for the experience vs the XXk PR?  Even their "Latest" page is experience oriented.  http://www.grandcircletrails.com/latest-news/    I think laid back (and then some) is the expectation.

Well, that's good to know!

And you're welcome. (Is it back in your head now?)

2015-10-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirlThat's okay, some idiot (AKA me) went and registered for IMTX, Galveston 70.3 and then signed Tony up for the 70.3 as well... and then told him about it over FB.  

Manatee meet-up! Come on Steve, better hurry up and register so you can join the party too!
2015-10-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: #5145806

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning manatees! Love all the race plans

I am in the waiting room at the dentist waiting for my two hour appointment. I get some new teeth today! Sounds weird but I am getting a two tooth bridge in today and despite the work I am happy about it. Have a good day everyone!
2015-10-29 8:41 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

I am in the waiting room at the dentist waiting for my two hour appointment. I get some new teeth today! Sounds weird but I am getting a two tooth bridge in today and despite the work I am happy about it. Have a good day everyone!

Ugh... dentist... Two hours... You scared me enough - just before the Halloween
Take care and I hope the process goes smoothly!
Mary
2015-10-29 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hope they give you the good stuff!

2015-10-29 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen Good morning manatees! Love all the race plans I am in the waiting room at the dentist waiting for my two hour appointment. I get some new teeth today! Sounds weird but I am getting a two tooth bridge in today and despite the work I am happy about it. Have a good day everyone!

I hope that it goes smoothly!

2015-10-29 10:47 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti >In Bali now, will be in Jakarta a few days between now and Nov. 3 when I leave for Perth. Back in Indonesia Dec. 9, back to Australia early Jan.

Some idiot (AKA HUSBAND) thought it was a good idea to sign up for 20km Rottnest Channel Swim late February. It's a miracle neither of us have asked the other for a divorce yet

So the Jan/Feb tri calendar looks like this: 17 Jan Rockingham - Sprint 31 Jan Busso - Olympic 21 Feb Elizabeth Quays - Sprint (if the new Quays is finished in time otherwise maybe venue change) Any chance of joining me for any?

Sounds good!  I hope that you get a Manatee Meetup out of it

2015-10-29 11:39 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirlThat's okay, some idiot (AKA me) went and registered for IMTX, Galveston 70.3 and then signed Tony up for the 70.3 as well... and then told him about it over FB.  
Manatee meet-up! Come on Steve, better hurry up and register so you can join the party too!

IMTX is looking doubtful.  I was able to put a surgery off six months max which would be about the end of March and then I do not know what my capacity will be. The Monument Valley race in March might be my last before a long recovery period (at least eight weeks) and that's assuming no further loss of functionality.  I might be able to negotiate out a few more weeks and then Galveston might be a possibility. 

2015-10-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by juniperjen Good morning manatees! Love all the race plans I am in the waiting room at the dentist waiting for my two hour appointment. I get some new teeth today! Sounds weird but I am getting a two tooth bridge in today and despite the work I am happy about it. Have a good day everyone!

x 2.  Not a fun way to spend a few hours.

2015-10-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

IMTX is looking doubtful.  I was able to put a surgery off six months max which would be about the end of March and then I do not know what my capacity will be. The Monument Valley race in March might be my last before a long recovery period (at least eight weeks) and that's assuming no further loss of functionality.  I might be able to negotiate out a few more weeks and then Galveston might be a possibility. 

For purely selfish reasons of wanting to meet as many Manatees as I can in person to smooooosh them with a great big hug (Jet Black, you've been warned!), I suggest the following... 

GAL-VES-TON!  GAL-VES-TON!  (please read in the appropriate yelling/chanting voice and feel free to use a megaphone, if so needed)  

2015-10-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

x 2.  Not a fun way to spend a few hours.

I'm a total & utter white-knuckler when it comes to the dentist - I hope they give you some good drugs for all this torture.  Yay for drugs!  

2015-10-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

For purely selfish reasons of wanting to meet as many Manatees as I can in person to smooooosh them with a great big hug (Jet Black, you've been warned!), I suggest the following... 

GAL-VES-TON!  GAL-VES-TON!  (please read in the appropriate yelling/chanting voice and feel free to use a megaphone, if so needed)  

And if that doesn't happen she'll move across the country.

(seriously, finally met Monica at a local race, no hug involved, and like a week later she announced the move to Texas)

2015-10-29 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I really want to make a 2016 race schedule, but I'm holding off until the Giraffe finds work. Yay for responsible adults decision making! However, assuming he finds a job of equal pay as the last one soon, I'm thinking of doing 2-3 sprints and 1-2 open water swim events. Who's in?!
Come on, Manatees, nothing screams "good time" like a destination sprint race to the DC swamp land in the summer!
2015-10-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia I really want to make a 2016 race schedule, but I'm holding off until the Giraffe finds work. Yay for responsible adults decision making! However, assuming he finds a job of equal pay as the last one soon, I'm thinking of doing 2-3 sprints and 1-2 open water swim events. Who's in?! Come on, Manatees, nothing screams "good time" like a destination sprint race to the DC swamp land in the summer!

Setup just released their 2016 schedule and I am thinking maybe Kerr Lake and Lake Logan.  Did they make Rev3 Williamsburg later in the year or has it always been the weekend after July 4th?  The swim series is not posted yet but I would like to do the Celebration Swim (which may be the same weekend as Kerr Lake).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55606 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68406 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29149 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67876 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.