BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-28 6:14 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by hoffsquared

Have decided to brave the cold this morning and bike to work.  We'll see how it goes.

Good luck, you are better than I.

2014-01-28 11:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by ceilidh

Have decided to brave the cold this morning and bike to work.  We'll see how it goes.

Good luck, you are better than I.

Than I as well.  I went out to go to the pool this morning --and to drive my daughter to school as she missed the bus--then went out at lunch time to bring in the mail & grab the trash can.  It is bitter cold.  No way would I be on a bike today (at least one that is outside)  

2014-01-28 6:12 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Bike commute report - well today it was pretty frigid in the AM.  Around 12F.  But I really wanted to get back into my bike commute routine after a week off.  The trails were clear so it was just the cold to deal with.  I have now figured out everything except my toes and my thumbs.  They were pretty cold by the time I got to work.  The other area that had been an issue was my eyes.  I wear glasses and my regular glasses just don't give enough coverage on the really cold days.  The last time I rode in very low temps it was a BIG issue.  So I ordered some new glasses from a discount online place.  Got some prescription inserts for some goggles where I can change the lenses.  They worked really well although I can tell they are the greatest quality but prescription sunglasses for about $40.  Not bad.   The ride home was better but longer (I get dropped off in the morning nearer work and have to ride all the way home).

2014-01-29 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Bike commute report - well today it was pretty frigid in the AM.  Around 12F.  But I really wanted to get back into my bike commute routine after a week off.  The trails were clear so it was just the cold to deal with.  I have now figured out everything except my toes and my thumbs.  They were pretty cold by the time I got to work.  The other area that had been an issue was my eyes.  I wear glasses and my regular glasses just don't give enough coverage on the really cold days.  The last time I rode in very low temps it was a BIG issue.  So I ordered some new glasses from a discount online place.  Got some prescription inserts for some goggles where I can change the lenses.  They worked really well although I can tell they are the greatest quality but prescription sunglasses for about $40.  Not bad.   The ride home was better but longer (I get dropped off in the morning nearer work and have to ride all the way home).

I am impressed! Having the right gear makes all the difference though.

2014-01-29 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Winter Bike Commuting and/or Training

It’s not that hard to do if you are well equipped.  I started bike commuting about four years ago when a major improvement was made to a highway crossing.  I borrowed a friend's bike for a month to see if I would like it.  Loved it.  Bought the bike from her for $50 and still ride it every day.  I get dropped off at a bike trailhead in the morning and my morning commuted is 5.5 miles and all on the bike path.  My evening commute is 9.7 miles and 1/2 bike path, 1/2 roads.  I only have one really busy road section and one really big intersection.  So the road miles are not too stressful.

So here is my setup for winter temps.  Note that I don’t commute in the snow since I have one commuting bike only and don’t have ability to switch to fat tires.  I must admit I probably wouldn’t do any training in temps below 25F but I try to bike commute whenever I can.  I’ll commute in the rain if the weather is warm or it is not night-time.  Night-time commuting in the rain is just not safe given limited visibility of drivers and the raindrops on my glasses.  

Head:  Beanie or balaclava under the helmet.  I wear the balaclava when the temps dip below 40F or so.  I wear a full face mask balaclava for temps below 20F.

Feet #1:  Good shoe covers.  Mine are made out of neoprene.  You don’t have to spend much to find something that works.  I got mine on Amazon (Vaude) for less than $20.

Feet #2:  Wool socks and a thin liner.  I only use the liner when the temps dip below 30F.

Eyes:  I finally gave in and bought some goggles that take a presciption insert.  I can switch out the outer lenses to match conditions.  They look ok w/ the dark lenses but kind of weird with light lenses but they make a big difference in protecting my eyes.  My normal prescription glasses have too small a lenses to be protective.

Hands:  Lobster claw gloves with liner.  I wear both when the temps dip below 40F.  Just the liner below about 50F.

Legs:  Winter weight tights.  I’ll add an extra layer when the temps get below 30F.

Torso:  Depending on temperature up to four layers.  1st layer = LS silk undershirt, 2nd layer = LS performance turtleneck, 3rd layer = wool sweater or fleece vest, 4th layer = outer jacket.

Lights:  Rear blinkie, front blinkie near tire, front light w/ spare battery.

Rain:  Good outer rain jacket w/ hood that goes over helmet.  Cheap outer rainpants if commuting in rain and cold weather.

Other:  Refective tape on my panniers, safety vest during dark commutes.

2014-01-29 8:35 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Hey Hoffsquared - Very Impressive - I feel like a wuss! I stopped running in the teens this year and have been hitting the dreadmill and I hate i, It has been cold for two straight weeks up here in Boston. I can't wait to get back outside.

Could you tell me about the on-line glasses place and do they also do prescription swim goggles. I was thinking of wearing contacts but my left eye has been irritated and I can't wear them so any help would be appreciated.

2014-01-30 7:08 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey Hoffsquared - Very Impressive - I feel like a wuss! I stopped running in the teens this year and have been hitting the dreadmill and I hate i, It has been cold for two straight weeks up here in Boston. I can't wait to get back outside. Could you tell me about the on-line glasses place and do they also do prescription swim goggles. I was thinking of wearing contacts but my left eye has been irritated and I can't wear them so any help would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the glasses I ordered.  The cost me about $45.  I have a pair of prescription sunglasses but one of the lenses falls out periodically.  This isn't an issue for casual use but I'm afraid that it will happen during a race.  So I'd been thinking about new glasses for some time but prescription sport glasses are really expensive.  I had looked at glasses with the inserts at stores in the past but these seemed really unattractive and still expensive.  I also just didn't know if I would like the how the insert functioned within an outer frame.  After looking online I found a few places that offered these at pretty reasonable prices.  So far I have worn them twice with the yellow lenses.  I can tell that they are not the highest quality -- at least the frames -- but they work fine.  After a year or so, I may splurge for a higher end product.  The retailers that I found that offered sport 'goggles' with inserts were Marvel Optics, Zenni Optical, and Eye Buy Direct.  Make note of the size of the glasses.  The ones I have are small and would not work very well on a guys head.

With respect to prescription swim goggles, I have AquaSphere Eagle Swim Goggle with the Eagle Optics.  I am really happy with these.  I did a review for BT and you can find it here.  Best $$ spent on triathlon gear so far.  The only issue with them --- I need bifocals so can't read my watch.  Haha!  Luckily my pool has a big digital clock to help me keep track of rest periods.

No bike commute again today.  Temps still really low and not enough melting occurred even though there was very little snow.

2014-01-30 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Melanie.

Thanks for all the info.Your list helps those of us who don't often bike in colder weather. I need to start up again when my foot is finally healed.

I am jealous of your ability to commute and on BIKE TRAILS. There none in my local area, heck, our roads are too narrow for even bike lanes.

I do have a home office so the need to commute is nill, so I can't complain too much. Plus, I live in paradise

2014-01-30 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Could you tell me about the on-line glasses place and do they also do prescription swim goggles. I was thinking of wearing contacts but my left eye has been irritated and I can't wear them so any help would be appreciated.

Man, good luck with figuring out a solution. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer wear my contacts. My eyes are around 20/400, so I'm a blind man walking without glasses. I've joked with friends that if I don't have my contacts in I can't see the black line on the bottom of the pool. Not true, but also not far off.

My mono vision contacts are pretty good. One eye is corrected for close vision (doing the work of bifocals) the other eye is corrected for distance. So I don't need glasses for anything. The extreme close up vision is not the best, but for 95% of everyday life they work very well. If my eyes get to bothering me, I'll put the contacts in for just workouts and wear glasses the rest of the time.

Steve
2014-01-30 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by ceilidh

Melanie.

Thanks for all the info.Your list helps those of us who don't often bike in colder weather. I need to start up again when my foot is finally healed.

I am jealous of your ability to commute and on BIKE TRAILS. There none in my local area, heck, our roads are too narrow for even bike lanes.

I do have a home office so the need to commute is nill, so I can't complain too much. Plus, I live in paradise

Same here.  I would love to be able to commute to work on my bike (although I'm enough of a wuss that I would only do it during nicer weather ).  It would only be about 6-1/2 miles for me but it's all on busier streets.  They are starting to put bike trails in but they don't quite make it as far as my neighborhood yet. 

2014-01-30 7:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Man, good luck with figuring out a solution. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer wear my contacts. My eyes are around 20/400, so I'm a blind man walking without glasses. I've joked with friends that if I don't have my contacts in I can't see the black line on the bottom of the pool. Not true, but also not far off.

Steve

Hi Steve - Have you ever lost a contact swimming? I can't wear contacts right now because I have something going on where the film on my eye is getting scratchedd. My doctor said it is like having a ton of sand from the beach in your eye, A little painful but the new eyedrops they gave me seem to help. The thing that stinks and it's kind of funny but the pool seems very long and even on my sprints the turnaround markers seem a mile away. I feel like Mister Magoo does a triathlons. Now this is Gray Guy and Gal thread some of you should remember him and for those who don't he was blind as a bat.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-30 8:43 PM

(MR_MaGoo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MR_MaGoo.jpg (25KB - 4 downloads)

2014-01-30 8:18 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Melanie,

Just catching up on posts and I gotta tell ya, you get my vote for Hardcore Biker of the week!

I read your cold weather gear list and also your comment about cold toes. If the neoprene shoe covers aren't enough, have you ever tried the neoprene toe inserts? I bought a pair of them and tried them inside my running shoes. They have kept my feet warm and fairly dry while running through slush and snow the last few weeks.

Dave

2014-01-31 7:45 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by DJP_19 Melanie, Just catching up on posts and I gotta tell ya, you get my vote for Hardcore Biker of the week! I read your cold weather gear list and also your comment about cold toes. If the neoprene shoe covers aren't enough, have you ever tried the neoprene toe inserts? I bought a pair of them and tried them inside my running shoes. They have kept my feet warm and fairly dry while running through slush and snow the last few weeks. Dave

I haven't tried the neoprene inserts yet.  I just looked them up.  I think I will order a pair!  I didn't know these existed.  Thanks.

Note --- If I didn't have bike trails for most of my commute, I probably wouldn't do it.  Road riding more than a few miles every day just wouldn't be very fun.  So I'm very lucky.  My work also provides a separate parking area for bikes and showers & lockers specifically for bike commuters.  Last year the bike subsidy ($20/month) was started.  The local business district is sponsoring this.  So I get $240/year to spend on bike supplies and gear.  Pretty cool.

2014-01-31 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DJP_19 Melanie, Just catching up on posts and I gotta tell ya, you get my vote for Hardcore Biker of the week! I read your cold weather gear list and also your comment about cold toes. If the neoprene shoe covers aren't enough, have you ever tried the neoprene toe inserts? I bought a pair of them and tried them inside my running shoes. They have kept my feet warm and fairly dry while running through slush and snow the last few weeks. Dave

I haven't tried the neoprene inserts yet.  I just looked them up.  I think I will order a pair!  I didn't know these existed.  Thanks.

Note --- If I didn't have bike trails for most of my commute, I probably wouldn't do it.  Road riding more than a few miles every day just wouldn't be very fun.  So I'm very lucky.  My work also provides a separate parking area for bikes and showers & lockers specifically for bike commuters.  Last year the bike subsidy ($20/month) was started.  The local business district is sponsoring this.  So I get $240/year to spend on bike supplies and gear.  Pretty cool.

WOW, how progressive is that? I have never heard of neoprene toe inserts either. I may have to look into them. My feet get so darn cold.

2014-01-31 12:49 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
The ones I bought came from AeroTech Design cyclewear. Bought them online for $12 .

Intended for use while biking, but they fit easily under my NB running shoes, even though I also wear orthodics.

2014-01-31 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Hi Steve - Have you ever lost a contact swimming? I can't wear contacts right now because I have something going on where the film on my eye is getting scratchedd. My doctor said it is like having a ton of sand from the beach in your eye, A little painful but the new eyedrops they gave me seem to help. The thing that stinks and it's kind of funny but the pool seems very long and even on my sprints the turnaround markers seem a mile away. I feel like Mister Magoo does a triathlons. Now this is Gray Guy and Gal thread some of you should remember him and for those who don't he was blind as a bat.

Hey James:

I've never had an issue with a contact while swimming. I've scratched my eye before and I know what you mean about feeling like there is sand in your eye. Hopefully they can get it figured out for you. I suppose if I had to I could wear a prescription lens in my goggles for the swim, but I don't know what I'd do trying to find my bike in transition...I'd have to leave my goggles in place until I got to my bike I guess.

I'm using 30 day extended wear contacts...that supposedly you can sleep with and only have to take out one a week. I take them out every night. My eyes just feel better, less dry. But the new lenses are micro thin. If you haven't tried them, once your eye has healed you should give them a try.

Good luck with a solution.

2014-01-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Well Steve, if a spot opens up I'm your girl. Been running for ages and the beating is getting harder and harder to recover from. Started triathlon last year completed a sprint, an oly and a half iron (on my 50th birthday). Not bad placing 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively, but I lack direction. Helping to raise my grandson keeps me especially busy, so my neighbors will often see me at odd hours of the day or night doing some sort of activity.
Good luck to all of you! -Victoria
2014-02-01 5:53 AM
in reply to: mitch4

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
It's early Saturday morning. I will be headed on a group ride with a local triathlon shop. The only thing that gives me pause - I have decided to ride my commuter bike instead of my tri-bike. The commuter is an old Trek road bike with a rack. I'm sure I will get some looks...not because it's not a tri-bike but because it looks pretty old and junky. There is a lot of salt and sand in the roads and I not really keen on getting my good big covered with that stuff. I'll just have to try extra hard to keep up!
2014-02-01 5:56 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by hoffsquared It's early Saturday morning. I will be headed on a group ride with a local triathlon shop. The only thing that gives me pause - I have decided to ride my commuter bike instead of my tri-bike. The commuter is an old Trek road bike with a rack. I'm sure I will get some looks...not because it's not a tri-bike but because it looks pretty old and junky. There is a lot of salt and sand in the roads and I not really keen on getting my good big covered with that stuff. I'll just have to try extra hard to keep up!

I wouldn't take a nice bike out on the roads with all the salt that' s out there either!

I am off to an endurance sport symposium that is sponsored by my tri club and a few others.  Speakers include Michellie Jones and Chris Carmichael.  

2014-02-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: mitch4

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mitch4

Well Steve, if a spot opens up I'm your girl. Been running for ages and the beating is getting harder and harder to recover from. Started triathlon last year completed a sprint, an oly and a half iron (on my 50th birthday). Not bad placing 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively, but I lack direction. Helping to raise my grandson keeps me especially busy, so my neighbors will often see me at odd hours of the day or night doing some sort of activity.
Good luck to all of you! -Victoria

Hi Victoria--we would be happy to have you join our group. We've got a fabulous group of triathletes with a lot of experience. If you follow the threads you can see we're doing a training/weight loss challenge. You can join that as well. You just have to turn in any changes in weight each week and total training minutes.

James is the keeper of "The Challenge" stats. It's 5 points if your weight is unchanged or lower, and 10 points for every pound lost (or -10 for each pound gained) plus 5 points for every 30 minutes of workout time for the week. If you have been keeping a workout log just total up your minutes for the last three weeks through tomorrow (Feb 2) and I think James will be able to get you up to date.

Welcome!

Steve
2014-02-01 8:41 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Originally posted by mitch4Well Steve, if a spot opens up I'm your girl. Been running for ages and the beating is getting harder and harder to recover from. Started triathlon last year completed a sprint, an oly and a half iron (on my 50th birthday). Not bad placing 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively, but I lack direction. Helping to raise my grandson keeps me especially busy, so my neighbors will often see me at odd hours of the day or night doing some sort of activity. Good luck to all of you! -Victoria
Hi Victoria--we would be happy to have you join our group. We've got a fabulous group of triathletes with a lot of experience. If you follow the threads you can see we're doing a training/weight loss challenge. You can join that as well. You just have to turn in any changes in weight each week and total training minutes.James is the keeper of "The Challenge" stats. It's 5 points if your weight is unchanged or lower, and 10 points for every pound lost (or -10 for each pound gained) plus 5 points for every 30 minutes of workout time for the week. If you have been keeping a workout log just total up your minutes for the last three weeks through tomorrow (Feb 2) and I think James will be able to get you up to date.Welcome!Steve
Welcome Victoria!Our fearless leader should have posted 1 point for every 30 minutes of exercise. Guess that is why James is the keeper of the tally chart ;-]

2014-02-01 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Well got back from California last week one day longer as flight was canceled due to the first storm.

Was not able to swim in LA as the pool near my mom’s house was closed for painting. Was going to try Santa Monica College pool swam a meet there when I was in high school but came down with some stomach bug, so the only exercise I did was a 4 mile run. The good news was I lost some weight and the weather was in the 80s while I was there. The second storm hit after I got home so I have yet to do any outside workouts.

I did the 1hr Master's postal yesterday with another fellow, 2950 meters, was able to keep a sub 2:00/100m pace until the last 10 minutes or so. I'm competing in a SCY Masters next weekend including the 1650yd free as well as some shorter distances in free and breast.

So the summary for the three weeks (13 Jan-1Feb) I’ve been off net is as follows:
Net weight loss 4lb
Total workout time mostly swimming 10 ½ hours
2014-02-01 12:17 PM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by KOM

Originally posted by mitch4Well Steve, if a spot opens up I'm your girl. Been running for ages and the beating is getting harder and harder to recover from. Started triathlon last year completed a sprint, an oly and a half iron (on my 50th birthday). Not bad placing 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively, but I lack direction. Helping to raise my grandson keeps me especially busy, so my neighbors will often see me at odd hours of the day or night doing some sort of activity. Good luck to all of you! -Victoria
Hi Victoria--we would be happy to have you join our group. We've got a fabulous group of triathletes with a lot of experience. If you follow the threads you can see we're doing a training/weight loss challenge. You can join that as well. You just have to turn in any changes in weight each week and total training minutes.James is the keeper of "The Challenge" stats. It's 5 points if your weight is unchanged or lower, and 10 points for every pound lost (or -10 for each pound gained) plus 5 points for every 30 minutes of workout time for the week. If you have been keeping a workout log just total up your minutes for the last three weeks through tomorrow (Feb 2) and I think James will be able to get you up to date.Welcome!Steve
Welcome Victoria!Our fearless leader should have posted 1 point for every 30 minutes of exercise. Guess that is why James is the keeper of the tally chart ;-]

Good catch, Kathy. That's what I get for posting at 5:40 a.m., pre-coffee after a too late Friday night.

Steve
2014-02-01 1:51 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

I did the 1hr Master's postal yesterday with another fellow, 2950 meters, was able to keep a sub 2:00/100m pace until the last 10 minutes or so. I'm competing in a SCY Masters next weekend including the 1650yd free as well as some shorter distances in free and breast.

You sir, are a swimming machine!
2014-02-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by hoffsquared It's early Saturday morning. I will be headed on a group ride with a local triathlon shop. The only thing that gives me pause - I have decided to ride my commuter bike instead of my tri-bike. The commuter is an old Trek road bike with a rack. I'm sure I will get some looks...not because it's not a tri-bike but because it looks pretty old and junky. There is a lot of salt and sand in the roads and I not really keen on getting my good big covered with that stuff. I'll just have to try extra hard to keep up!

I wouldn't take a nice bike out on the roads with all the salt that' s out there either!

I am off to an endurance sport symposium that is sponsored by my tri club and a few others.  Speakers include Michellie Jones and Chris Carmichael.  

Hope you had fun at the symposium.  There is one coming our way in March!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18744 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.