BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by abake Hi Manatees! A little bird told me that there would be gravel talk on this forum? Is it too late for me to jump in here? I've been doing a bit of a digital detox this month but January is nearly over. Anne

Welcome back Anne. Congrats on DK. Funnily enough, I am listening to a BikeRumor podcast on "The Future of Gravel Racing" and DK is  represented with a panelist. It seems to be the premier event in that realm and I would love to hear your take on it when you are done. If I get a vote, I would do the 100 and the after party. But that tells you more about me than anything else. The reason I have moved off road in most of my riding is the inclusion, fun, and all of the ancillary pieces that go into it. And the beer, which seems to be a good piece of it as well!

Thanks Chris! Gravel Racing seems to be growing quickly. I did the 200 in 2018. You can read my blog post about that event here. I'll be referring back to it as I move forward with my training.
https://beestarcatblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/dirty-kanza-2018/

2020-01-28 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by abake Hi Manatees! A little bird told me that there would be gravel talk on this forum? Is it too late for me to jump in here? I've been doing a bit of a digital detox this month but January is nearly over. Anne

Welcome back Anne. Congrats on DK. Funnily enough, I am listening to a BikeRumor podcast on "The Future of Gravel Racing" and DK is  represented with a panelist. It seems to be the premier event in that realm and I would love to hear your take on it when you are done. If I get a vote, I would do the 100 and the after party. But that tells you more about me than anything else. The reason I have moved off road in most of my riding is the inclusion, fun, and all of the ancillary pieces that go into it. And the beer, which seems to be a good piece of it as well!

Anne is no DK first timer! I don't think that we have to wait for her take on it ;-)

Chris, what gravel rides are you looking at? Is there any truth to the rumor that a gravel bike may be moving in with you?

I have a "new to me" Giant TCX in the back of the truck as we speak. It has been in my possession for a couple of weeks now. The geometry on it is more CX than gravel, however, it works for the time being. I added a Cane Creek ThudBuster LT seat post, which I loved last night while rolling through a section of trail that had been abused by pigs. 

Anne,  I thought that you had done DK in the past, but I wasn't sure.  What bike are you riding at the moment? I know Hands is looking at something from Cervelo, and my wish list includes a Jamis Renegade or possibly something from Framed or Ocoee.  Anything you have to add would be appreciated. 

My current gravel bike is the Niner RLT RDO --- I bought the frame and then my local bike shop helped me with component selection and build. Tires are the Maxxis Ramblers in 40. I also have a set of Specialized "mud" tires that may or may not be used at Land Run.
One of our shops is now carrying the Cervelo Aspero. It's a beautiful bike and supposed to be really fast.
Before the Niner I had a Specialized Diverge --- very nice bike and they have the Future Shock that really helps with absorbing the rattles and bumps and prevents shoulder/arm/back fatigue.
One of my friends has the Jamis Renegade -- it is a really nice bike and would definitely be one to look at.
2020-01-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois

I've got a Cx bike that I can use, at least for now. With the amount of gravel in the area (very little), I'm not sure that a Diverge or Aspero is in my future.

I am looking at the Loudoun 1725 in June though. I told Kevin that there would be wine. I hope that's not a lie!  Anyway, planning is in the early stages so it's not for sure yet.

Anne is no DK first timer! I don't think that we have to wait for her take on it ;-)

Chris, what gravel rides are you looking at? Is there any truth to the rumor that a gravel bike may be moving in with you?

I have a "new to me" Giant TCX in the back of the truck as we speak. It has been in my possession for a couple of weeks now. The geometry on it is more CX than gravel, however, it works for the time being. I added a Cane Creek ThudBuster LT seat post, which I loved last night while rolling through a section of trail that had been abused by pigs. 

Anne,  I thought that you had done DK in the past, but I wasn't sure.  What bike are you riding at the moment? I know Hands is looking at something from Cervelo, and my wish list includes a Jamis Renegade or possibly something from Framed or Ocoee.  Anything you have to add would be appreciated. 

Ack! I had a response but it was eaten! Let's try again.

I have a Cx bike that I can use for gravel for now.  With the amount of gravel in the area (very little, just Umstead park), I don't necessarily see a Diverge or Aspero in my future.

I'm looking at the Loudoun 1725 ride in June, It's early days.  I told Kevin that there will be wine (I hope that's not a lie!).

That Loudon looks very cool --- so much history in that area. Next year perhaps, a BT gravel meetup?
2020-01-28 2:05 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I've got a Cx bike that I can use, at least for now. With the amount of gravel in the area (very little), I'm not sure that a Diverge or Aspero is in my future.

I am looking at the Loudoun 1725 in June though. I told Kevin that there would be wine. I hope that's not a lie!  Anyway, planning is in the early stages so it's not for sure yet.

Ack! I had a response but it was eaten! Let's try again.

I have a Cx bike that I can use for gravel for now.  With the amount of gravel in the area (very little, just Umstead park), I don't necessarily see a Diverge or Aspero in my future.

I'm looking at the Loudoun 1725 ride in June, It's early days.  I told Kevin that there will be wine (I hope that's not a lie!).

That Loudon looks very cool --- so much history in that area. Next year perhaps, a BT gravel meetup?

We can certainly put it on the list! 

2020-01-28 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I have added that event to my 2021 listing on my BT blog page.
2020-01-28 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Planning ahead! 

2020-01-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I was writing an Inspire to a friend and when I was done I thought, "Wow, I should send this as an Inspire to all the Manatees."  So here is an INSPIRE for each of you:

You know that old shtick about "you are only as young as you feel"?  Well, I believe the same thing holds true for overcoming "gymtimidation".  Take pride in the fact that you are there, focus on how great you feel when you are done, and forget about the rest of the people there.  You are doing this for YOU, not them.

Thanks, Mike.  Sometimes it's best to put blinders on at the gym.

2020-01-28 2:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Planning ahead! 

That looks fun!  Is that one that Laura mentioned a while ago?  It seems familiar-ish...  I'd be game!

2020-01-28 3:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

Planning ahead! 

That looks fun!  Is that one that Laura mentioned a while ago?  It seems familiar-ish...  I'd be game!

I feel like this event was discussed at some point, maybe last year? This is shaping up to be fun!
2020-01-28 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Planning ahead! 

if I ever get a gravel bike this may be doable- not this year though since I’ve got glacier HM the following weekend.

2020-01-28 8:05 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't feel guilty on rest days, but I don't really like to take them.... Not really a training/fitness issue. I just don't usually feel that good unless I do something physical for at least 30 minutes.(This despite a really active job--no accounting for my body!) I've worked out with my coach that one day a week (usually Monday) is a recovery type day where I sleep in a little in the morning, and do some lighter strength work or an easier swim PM, usually to recover from longer workouts on the weekend. I take an occasional rest day on my own initiative if I'm feeling exhausted after a hard workout or race, or like I would benefit more from extra sleep than a workout (particularly if fighting a cold or if something kept me from getting enough sleep the night before).

Training is basically my self-medication for ADHD, among other things. In general, if I'm healthy and haven't just done a hard race, I'd rather get in some easy activity than take the day totally off--it helps me focus better during the day and sleep better at night.

2020-01-29 4:47 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I don't feel guilty on rest days, but I don't really like to take them.... Not really a training/fitness issue. I just don't usually feel that good unless I do something physical for at least 30 minutes.(This despite a really active job--no accounting for my body!) I've worked out with my coach that one day a week (usually Monday) is a recovery type day where I sleep in a little in the morning, and do some lighter strength work or an easier swim PM, usually to recover from longer workouts on the weekend. I take an occasional rest day on my own initiative if I'm feeling exhausted after a hard workout or race, or like I would benefit more from extra sleep than a workout (particularly if fighting a cold or if something kept me from getting enough sleep the night before).

Training is basically my self-medication for ADHD, among other things. In general, if I'm healthy and haven't just done a hard race, I'd rather get in some easy activity than take the day totally off--it helps me focus better during the day and sleep better at night.

I can relate to the ADHD comment, that might be why I get a little anxious on rest days.
2020-01-29 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Melanie, Thank you very much for the thoughtful card. TW and I had a bit of a chuckle when we read it!

2020-01-29 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Planning ahead! 

Yes, Laura mentioned it.

2020-01-29 6:24 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Planning ahead! 

if I ever get a gravel bike this may be doable- not this year though since I’ve got glacier HM the following weekend.

We need to find an event closer to you as well!

2020-01-29 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Melanie, Thank you very much for the thoughtful card. TW and I had a bit of a chuckle when we read it!

It's beautiful!

2020-01-29 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

For those of us not in the know, what is DK?

And "gravel racing"?  I thought that was the same as off-road mtn biking.

2020-01-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Champion
Bronze member
My phone is not letting me respond to individual posts. So.... Loudon... I'd be in for 2021. Jim would love to do that, too.
Mike: thanks for posting the response to your friend (wink, wink). I am working on my public pool body issues. Maybe working on the shape of the bod would helo. Eh?
DK is short dor Dirty Kwanza(sp?) A premier gravel ride that Ann has done before 100 miles or 200 mile options.

I have absolutely no problems with rest days..minor guilt, but i can get over that easily. This has been my problem for ever. My inner feeling that i am a fraud and NOT an athlete and just pretending helps me to be more manatee- like than shark-like
2020-01-29 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

DK or Dirty Kanza  is one of the originators of Gravel racing/events. Gravel/All Road is an amalgamation of off-road and road riding. Primarily done on road(ish) bikes that have wider tires and a bit slacker/more comfortable geometries than a road racing bike, it runs mostly on dirt roads, old back roads, Jeep trails, Forest Service roads and the like. It is currently growing at leaps and bounds. I believe that this year there are nearly 700 "gravel" events in the US. That is about 7 times or so more than a few years ago. Our off road group does a yearly event that includes a 20 or 40 mile MTB ride through a bunch of single track and a 60 mile gravel ride. Anne was an early adopter in this group, but she is not alone. I have done a few events and really like the laid back atmosphere. Also, riding on those types of surfaces reduces the chances for cars to hit me. Although I did have to dodge a pig last night, but it was small, so it wouldn't hurt as much as a Ford or Chevy. 

2020-01-29 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My current gravel bike is the Niner RLT RDO --- I bought the frame and then my local bike shop helped me with component selection and build. Tires are the Maxxis Ramblers in 40. I also have a set of Specialized "mud" tires that may or may not be used at Land Run. One of our shops is now carrying the Cervelo Aspero. It's a beautiful bike and supposed to be really fast. Before the Niner I had a Specialized Diverge --- very nice bike and they have the Future Shock that really helps with absorbing the rattles and bumps and prevents shoulder/arm/back fatigue. One of my friends has the Jamis Renegade -- it is a really nice bike and would definitely be one to look at.

I have read some really good stuff on the Niner. And the Future Shock is a pretty nice piece of tech!

2020-01-29 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

DK or Dirty Kanza  is one of the originators of Gravel racing/events. Gravel/All Road is an amalgamation of off-road and road riding. Primarily done on road(ish) bikes that have wider tires and a bit slacker/more comfortable geometries than a road racing bike, it runs mostly on dirt roads, old back roads, Jeep trails, Forest Service roads and the like. It is currently growing at leaps and bounds. I believe that this year there are nearly 700 "gravel" events in the US. That is about 7 times or so more than a few years ago. Our off road group does a yearly event that includes a 20 or 40 mile MTB ride through a bunch of single track and a 60 mile gravel ride. Anne was an early adopter in this group, but she is not alone. I have done a few events and really like the laid back atmosphere. Also, riding on those types of surfaces reduces the chances for cars to hit me. Although I did have to dodge a pig last night, but it was small, so it wouldn't hurt as much as a Ford or Chevy. 

People who do gravel riding also use a different style of bike because it's a different road surface. Gravel bikes often have a more relaxed fit and road bikes, they generally have disc brakes, they have wider, often knobbier tires.  Gravel rides and races are sometimes only partially on gravel and how people define gravel seems to vary a lot by region  (more gnarly and single track adjacent in some parts of the country, more gravel road like in other parts of the country).  Gravel bikes general have drop handlebars like a road bike and many models a way to attach mud guards.  The gearing is also different to take the different terrain into account.

2020-01-29 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Dirty Kanza, will not be in my list for a while.  First of all, about 10 years ago I used to be a motorcycle referee for USAC races.  One of my favorites to work was the Fawn Grove Roubaix, down in Lancaster County.  The DK photo looks alot like the steepest downhill on that course.  It was a challenge on my Suzuki V-Strom with  all-terrain tires.  I always thought the guys/gals on skinny road tires were crazy to do that race.

Loudon 2021, might make my 2021 list, if it doesn't conflict with Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic.  I'm planning that to return the trip/favor for my brother Jack coming up for Lumberjack this year.  If he opts out, then I will switch to Loudon instead.

2020-01-29 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

"Houston, we have a problem...."

Needless to say, my dr was ecstatic yesterday when I weighed in 32 lbs down from six months ago, when she told me I was T2.  I had brought along my training calendar and she was totally on board.  However, I was less than thrilled when she told me that the rash around my  knees was not heat rash.  Apparently I have become allergic to the neoprene knee braces that hold my knees together while training.  The cream she prescribed has almost completely cleared it up in only two applications.  But now I am left with finding a different knee brace material.  I love living in the boonies, but one of the downsides is that I really don't have access to all the fancy specialty run/bike shops you city-dwellers have.  Much as I hate to say it, Amazon here I come.

2020-01-29 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

"Houston, we have a problem...."

Needless to say, my dr was ecstatic yesterday when I weighed in 32 lbs down from six months ago, when she told me I was T2.  I had brought along my training calendar and she was totally on board.  However, I was less than thrilled when she told me that the rash around my  knees was not heat rash.  Apparently I have become allergic to the neoprene knee braces that hold my knees together while training.  The cream she prescribed has almost completely cleared it up in only two applications.  But now I am left with finding a different knee brace material.  I love living in the boonies, but one of the downsides is that I really don't have access to all the fancy specialty run/bike shops you city-dwellers have.  Much as I hate to say it, Amazon here I come.

Country People Problems!!!

2020-01-29 10:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Dirty Kanza is in my old neck of the woods! It's so cool to see such a big event being built up and supported in Kansas of all places. 

Some time last year, I heard a few rumblings on Twitter about the name and sensitivities to native americans. Guessing that died pretty quick because I can't find anything about it online.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127