BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-12 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Oh, and LOL, what's time off?  My HIM plan starts the first of December to be ready for Lonestar.

With winter comes Cyclocross, MTB, & Lots and lots of Computrainer hours...

2009-08-12 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
I'd like to stay w/ the group through Dec. and join the new one.  :-)

I definitely get post tri blues.  I am full swing into my marathon plan and have had good running sessions but it's been a struggle to get on my bike and in the pool.  I have one more sprint in Sept. so I need to keep some sort of cross training going.  I think taking a break is good for the body and mind.  Just do the things you enjoy most to keep in shape and look forward to the new tri year!
2009-08-12 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2345138

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-08-12 7:26 PM Oh, and LOL, what's time off?  My HIM plan starts the first of December to be ready for Lonestar.

And how does that work post marathon? three week reverse taper and then away you go????

I still need to develop my '10 plan....goal is to do that starting on 9/14.  Right after the HIM and sign up for IM WI.... Wink.
2009-08-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2345192

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 9:04 PM
dalessit - 2009-08-12 7:26 PM Oh, and LOL, what's time off?  My HIM plan starts the first of December to be ready for Lonestar.

And how does that work post marathon? three week reverse taper and then away you go????

I still need to develop my '10 plan....goal is to do that starting on 9/14.  Right after the HIM and sign up for IM WI.... Wink.

Yep, pretty much  MCM Oct 25th, that gives me the whole month of November to fatten up : )
2009-08-13 12:04 AM
in reply to: #2345270

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dalessit - 2009-08-12 6:55 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 9:04 PM

Yep, pretty much  MCM Oct 25th, that gives me the whole month of November to fatten up : )

I prefer to call it the "WINTER WEIGHT!"  It helps keep me warm in the mountains!!
2009-08-13 12:26 AM
in reply to: #2345130

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2009-08-12 5:24 PM Steve you have some awesome photos, have you ever had any published?

This one is incredible

http://picasaweb.google.com/SWBKRUNMG/BirdysPictures#5369202410863753618

Absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous!!!  This is "the Tunitas creek climb" that I did as a part of my longest (60 mile) training day 2 months prior to Vineman.  It was magical riding under the gigantic redwoods...Unfortunately it came at mile 42 and my legs were toast.  So gorgeous...if any of you guys want to come out and ride it, there are about 20 or so switchbacks just like the one in Steve's photo!
I would be happy to lead the way!  Well, I'm sure you would be waiting for me at the "regroup"  

2009-08-13 1:05 AM

User image

Pro
Alright so if you don't have much time on your hands and need a good workout.... 

Give this a try!! It just kicked my butt in a major way!!!
http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

2009-08-13 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
What the heck?  I was last to post last night, and 1st to post this morning??

I feel like I am in a nightmare?!  I hope everyone is ok!!!
2009-08-13 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
I'm up, I'm up already.  Steve, got the pics, thank you.

So the Tabata thing is ok, but it takes longer than 20 minutes to burn through your glycogen stores (as the page says).  You'll go anaerobic and start producing lactic acid like a mofo (thus the heavy breathing), but not burn up your glycogen stores.

Interesting yes.  Try any of the Spinervals DVD's - those intervals kill!
2009-08-13 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2346106

User image

Champion
Slept in again busy at work.

Did my situp challenge last night after getting in a 30 mile ride, still feeling a bit crappy but no reason to stop the workouts right?
2009-08-13 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey all - another busy week at work for me (auditors are here this week - always fun!).  I'm looking forward to next week since I'll be on vacation!  Yeah!  Not going anywhere but won't have to be at work eitherSmile.  I decided it would be a good week to take off after my tri on Sunday and with our daughter starting school next Wednesday and we have to get our son over to college on Friday.

Speaking of my tri on Sunday (it's a spring - 300yd/18mi/5k) - I could use some good vibes from you guys!  I know I'll finish, but the bike has me a little worried.  It's a pretty hilly course and even though I've been training on hills as much as possible, it's still the one thing that I'm not real confident with.  So any good thoughts would be appreciated!

Reuben - congrats on finishing your first tri!  And good luck if you decide to do another this weekend.

Regarding the MG - I know I don't post much or get as involved as some peopleTongue out, but I'd like to stick around if that's OK.  I want to continue to do tri's next year and am hoping to move up to the Oly distance - I could use the help in getting ready for that. 

Here's a picture of me finishing my first tri back in May. 

Hoping to get a new one this weekend!
Janet

2009-08-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2345130

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2009-08-12 5:24 PM Steve you have some awesome photos, have you ever had any published?

This one is incredible

http://picasaweb.google.com/SWBKRUNMG/BirdysPictures#5369202410863753618

This one is from the Garmin Team... I put it on here because it makes for a great POSTER.... And yes Kim it looks like a great climb!  We missed it when we were down at the Tour of California due to "logistics" and weather!
2009-08-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2346225

User image

Champion
marietta
soccermom15 - 2009-08-13 10:32 AM

Hey all - another busy week at work for me (auditors are here this week - always fun!).  I'm looking forward to next week since I'll be on vacation!  Yeah!  Not going anywhere but won't have to be at work eitherSmile.  I decided it would be a good week to take off after my tri on Sunday and with our daughter starting school next Wednesday and we have to get our son over to college on Friday.

Speaking of my tri on Sunday (it's a spring - 300yd/18mi/5k) - I could use some good vibes from you guys!  I know I'll finish, but the bike has me a little worried.  It's a pretty hilly course and even though I've been training on hills as much as possible, it's still the one thing that I'm not real confident with.  So any good thoughts would be appreciated!

Reuben - congrats on finishing your first tri!  And good luck if you decide to do another this weekend.

Regarding the MG - I know I don't post much or get as involved as some peopleTongue out, but I'd like to stick around if that's OK.  I want to continue to do tri's next year and am hoping to move up to the Oly distance - I could use the help in getting ready for that. 

Janet

The heck do you mean if that's ok.  YOU ROCK!  And post count is way overrated.  Awesome pic!  Good vibes on the way!!!!  You will crush those hills.
2009-08-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2346242

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 11:39 AM 
And post count is way overrated. 

Says one of our better post padders!

Janet, you'll do great.  Hills suck, but just keep cranking.  That's why they make multi-geared bikes.
2009-08-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2346242

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-13 9:39 AM

Janet

The heck do you mean if that's ok.  YOU ROCK!  And post count is way overrated.  Awesome pic!  Good vibes on the way!!!!  You will crush those hills.

Yippee we finally get a Janet picture!!!
And John's post counts are over rated.... He babbles alot.
2009-08-13 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Janet

Great Pic Janet!  Of course its okay to stay with the group - I mean John's still here right? 

As for this weekend - you will do fine - no worries!  Just downshift and spin...  Don't mash the pedals all the way up the hill!  I think an Oly is a great goal for next year!

2009-08-13 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Janet---love the picture!!!  Keep'em coming.  Now that I am supposed to hang out in Z1/2, I think I have mastered the art of ez biking.  As was said before,  drop gears and spin.  I used to think I was a loser if I went into the middle chain ring to go up hills.  No more.  When I am climbing and still in the big chain ring, I click up a couple of gears harder and then drop into the middle chain ring and spin my brains up the hill.  It conserves a ton of energy.  I am also learning better breathing.  Used to be a total huff and puffer, now I breathe as deeply as I possibly can which also seems to help getting up those hills.  You can do it!

So on my ride today, I nearly get pushed off the road by a redneck in a pick up truck (I felt his side view mirror as he went by), I saw two steers really going at it and a pile up that had three firetrucks, two ambulances and a whole lot of people standing around, but no bodies, all on a very rural part of the IM course.  Legs are toast.....seriously thinking of blowing off my OWS class tonight in favor of an early dinner with the man and a little R&R.
2009-08-13 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I can't keep up with you guys, but I'd like to stick around too.   LOVE all the pics... even Steve's capri's Thanks for setting up the photo site, very cool.

Janet- Sending good vibes your way! You'll do great! x3 on just spin up the hills in a low gear.

I'd like your opinions on something. I have a sprint Sunday. It's not an A race, but I would like to do well. It's, sort of, my measurement on improvement from year to year since it was my first, and I've done it each year. My dilemma is... I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Saturday on my training plan for my next HIM (9/26) and my 50k (12/5). I think if I do the 10 mile run Saturday or even Friday I won't be able to do my best at the sprint, but if I skip it it will mess with my build for the 50k (the following week is 12 miles). I think I'll probably be alright for the HIM since I'll have more long runs before that and even longer than the 13.1, so I guess my real concern is messing with the build phase of the 50k plan. Any thoughts?
2009-08-13 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-08-13 11:32 AM

Janet

OMG A JANET PICTURE!

I always thought you were a little kitten ; )

You'll rock the bike.  Are your gears still working?  If so make sure you use them, when the going gets tough shift down to make it easier.  yes you will be going slower but you will be going.  If you feel a bit better, shift back up for more power and speed.

2009-08-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2346450

User image

Champion
roni_runnw - 2009-08-13 12:47 PM I can't keep up with you guys, but I'd like to stick around too.   LOVE all the pics... even Steve's capri's Thanks for setting up the photo site, very cool.

Janet- Sending good vibes your way! You'll do great! x3 on just spin up the hills in a low gear.

I'd like your opinions on something. I have a sprint Sunday. It's not an A race, but I would like to do well. It's, sort of, my measurement on improvement from year to year since it was my first, and I've done it each year. My dilemma is... I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Saturday on my training plan for my next HIM (9/26) and my 50k (12/5). I think if I do the 10 mile run Saturday or even Friday I won't be able to do my best at the sprint, but if I skip it it will mess with my build for the 50k (the following week is 12 miles). I think I'll probably be alright for the HIM since I'll have more long runs before that and even longer than the 13.1, so I guess my real concern is messing with the build phase of the 50k plan. Any thoughts?

Can you do the long run on Tuesday?  I did that a couple weeks when I had a sprint. 

The other option is to just do the 10 miler after your sprint.  A. It's only a 5k for the race, and B. I can't believe I am saying this, it's only 10 miles.  drop in the bucket for 50k training.
2009-08-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2346474

User image

Champion
And lol didn't read everyone elses response to Janet which were exactly the same as mine.  HAHA must be good advice if everyone has the same right?

2009-08-13 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2346450

User image

Elite
Raleigh
roni_runnw - 2009-08-13 11:47 AM I can't keep up with you guys, but I'd like to stick around too.   LOVE all the pics... even Steve's capri's Thanks for setting up the photo site, very cool.

Move the 10 miles afterward (actually on 6.9 since you are doing 3.1 in the tri) or drop it. The tri will just be a glorified training day, but that way you can be in better form for it. I am doing the same thing. My race is saturday, but my plan is for my olympic in October. I have rearranged my training this week to front load this week and create an artificial taper for saturday. All I have left is an easy 1 hr bike tongiht and an easy 50 minute run tomorrow.

Good luck!

Doug
2009-08-13 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
I was going to suggest the same as Doug - run another 7 after the sprint. 
2009-08-13 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
soccermom15 - 2009-08-13 11:32 AM

Janet

Janet, good luck this weekend.  Just keep pedaling, you'll get there!  We'll be waiting for the new picture!

Reuben - Great first race!!  How is the knee now?  Are you doing another??  Did you like the venue?  As you know, I thought it was awesome.

I'll be sticking around too!  You guys are too much fun to leave now!

I have been feeling better than I did the night I went to the hospital, but not great.  For those of you who said you had gall stones before, did the pain last a long time?  The doctor said that the stones are not blocking anything and the gall bladder is not infected or inflamed, so they do not want to take it out.  But it has been a week and I still hurt.  Now, it is not curl-up-in-the-fetal-position pain like it was, but I still feel it!  It feels almost like a really bad side stitch, that also goes around to my back.  It hurts some to touch it and it hurts sometimes to take a deep breath.  Needless to say, I have tried working out, but it doesn't work so much when I am in pain and can't breath!!  It is getting really frustrating!  But, on the happy side, vacation is in 3 1/2 weeks!!!

Karen
2009-08-13 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Spand X is in the house with a little pick me up video.

How to ride thru the pain!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383