BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

HELP!!!

Very upset, what to do? Lovely cat (not mine) with spinal cord injuries, my dogs were having a go at it (didn't break skin and left it alone right away when I yelled). Not sure if they did it or two dogs that are skulking about my gate (or even if cat had accident/got hit and then crawled under).

It's now trapped in the hood compartment of my car, cannot get it out, have a box with smelly wet food in it by nearest wheel well. Watching from kitchen window. Cat can only drag itself by front legs--can move quite quickly but not far.

Any ideas on how to get it out? (Plan to take it to emergency vet, they are waiting).

unfortunately cat is literally in between/underneath hoses, cables, and partially covered by car battery. It stuck itself in there. I could poke it with a broom or squirt it with water?

This won't be much help because I know you have a brain - do not what ever you do turn your car on! As stupid as it sounds when I worked at an auto electrician we had a customer who did that to try and get her cat to come out the results were far from good - in fact they were horrific.

I'm guessing that you can't get to it from under the car either? Can you easily get your battery out will that give you enough space to be able to get to him?

2014-04-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

HELP!!!

Very upset, what to do? Lovely cat (not mine) with spinal cord injuries, my dogs were having a go at it (didn't break skin and left it alone right away when I yelled). Not sure if they did it or two dogs that are skulking about my gate (or even if cat had accident/got hit and then crawled under).

It's now trapped in the hood compartment of my car, cannot get it out, have a box with smelly wet food in it by nearest wheel well. Watching from kitchen window. Cat can only drag itself by front legs--can move quite quickly but not far.

Any ideas on how to get it out? (Plan to take it to emergency vet, they are waiting).

unfortunately cat is literally in between/underneath hoses, cables, and partially covered by car battery. It stuck itself in there. I could poke it with a broom or squirt it with water?

This won't be much help because I know you have a brain - do not what ever you do turn your car on! As stupid as it sounds when I worked at an auto electrician we had a customer who did that to try and get her cat to come out the results were far from good - in fact they were horrific. I'm guessing that you can't get to it from under the car either? Can you easily get your battery out will that give you enough space to be able to get to him?

Yeah, exactly why not turning car on. Good adv though, brain not so clear right now, rather frantic.

Battery out. You may have something there.

2014-04-29 10:16 PM

User image

Denver, CO

HELP!!!

This won't be much help because I know you have a brain - do not what ever you do turn your car on! As stupid as it sounds when I worked at an auto electrician we had a customer who did that to try and get her cat to come out the results were far from good - in fact they were horrific. I'm guessing that you can't get to it from under the car either? Can you easily get your battery out will that give you enough space to be able to get to him?

Yeah, exactly why not turning car on. Good adv though, brain not so clear right now, rather frantic.

This sounds like an awful situation!!  I hope that since you haven't posted recently, you were able to get the battery and poor cat out and to the vet!! (The cat, not the battery; don't imagine the vet works on batteries.)  Good thing you were there to help rescue to it and have emergency vet close at hand.  Please give us an update when you can.  Hoping for the best in the meantime...

2014-04-30 7:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Whew. I'm back. Been keeping up via email but haven't caught up on RR's yet.

I have a question for you bike brainiacs. DH and I went to the annual bike swap over the weekend. I scored a new pair of bike shoes for $25! The problem... I didn't look at the bottom. They are set up for the Look system and I am running the SPD system. So I figure my options are 1) waste/donate $25 worth of bike shoes and stick with mine, 2) switch to Look or SPD-SL (i think those would work wouldn't they) 3) I think I saw an adapter somewhere.

I'm not unhappy with the SPD system but hear good things about the SPD-SL. My old shoes are getting tired. That's why I was so excited to find the marked down shoes at the bike swap (don't recall what brand they are). Also need to consider the fact that I will have to run in them during races (I don't leave my shoes clipped in).

Thoughts?

Are they smooth bottomed road shoes or mtb shoes?  Not all road shoes can fit SPD so that's the first thing (the holes screw the cleats in may not work).  Secondly, if you switch to SPD-SL on your tri bike, what will you do with your mountain bike?  Use your tired old shoes?

They are smooth bottomed shoes. The SPD's will not work unless I buy an adapter (think i saw one online). As for the MTB, I do have some MTB shoes I rarely wear, but then I rarely ride the MTB

You could do either of 2 or 3. I have no experience with an adapter, but they do exist. And for #2, I believe both types use the same bolt hole pattern, but their cleats and pedals are not interchangeable. Shimano copied the 3 bolt Look pattern, but their cleats are don't work with Look pedals. And vice versa.

If the cost of a pedal switch isn't really an issue, the next thing to look at would be how much you like to walk around. I only have transitions and putting my foot down at a light, stop sign, etc. So it wasn't a big deal for me. Others like going into a cafe on long rides, or walking around a scenic spot a little bit. Be sure to take a good look at the adapter if you're considering it. If there isn't a lot of build-up around the cleat then they'll act more like road cleats as it's the large amount of rubber on the mtb shoe that makes them better for walking around, not the cleat itself. The smaller mtb cleat is just easier to hide in there. I've seen plenty of people with the mtb on smooth tri shoes slip around the tile floor in spin classes before.

2014-04-30 7:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

HELP!!!

That's what I was going to suggest. What would be easy to move/remove? The battery is usually one thing.

2014-04-30 7:38 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Thanks so much for the good words and thoughts, Manatees. Kitty update:

Cat finally dropped down to under the car again. I made a net out of an old bike tyre (see, honey, they ARE still good for something, that's why I have so many of 'em lying around) netted with a leopard-print sarong (lucky leopard ... I was hopeful). Slid it right over and hooped the cat, carefully slid him into a large cloth bag, and took him to the vet.

Quite dehydrated and hypothermic (prob from dehydration, I live in the tropics), so probably had been injured a day or several ago, somehow got/fled under my fence, dogs got excited at the strange new frantic arrival and nipping at it. Had an open abdominal wound with swelling, bruising, and rigidity around it--not very good signs for the poor cat but also thankfully not from my dogs.

Thorough exam from the vet and X-ray (neg for fx but clearly there's some spinal cord / nerve root compromise, partial loss of mobility as well as sensation in hindquarters). Likely type and extent of damages -- depends on whether it's actual neural damage or compression from swelling from trauma. Doesn't look good, but not hopeless either.

Raider (I thought he deserved a name) calmed down considerably at the vet's and upon being handled--clearly belonged to someone and liked humans. He'd been yowling loudly. I had a quiet chat with him and asked him what he'd like to do ... was he ready to go or did he want to cash in on one of the 9 lives?

He looked at me and meowed. Not the loud howl-yowls he'd been doing. Just a meow and tried to get up and actually move toward me (rather gallant considering I'd pretty much been torturing him all day, but some animals can sense when you're trying to help). I stroked him very gently and he nuzzled his head on my hand.

He seemed like he wanted to stick around. So they're hydrating him and some nutrients in the solution, but he'll also eat wet food. We'll give him a few days and see how he feels about things then.

2014-04-30 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?
2014-04-30 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Cat finally dropped down to under the car again. I made a net out of an old bike tyre (see, honey, they ARE still good for something, that's why I have so many of 'em lying around) netted with a leopard-print sarong (lucky leopard ... I was hopeful). Slid it right over and hooped the cat, carefully slid him into a large cloth bag, and took him to the vet.

Quite dehydrated and hypothermic (prob from dehydration, I live in the tropics), so probably had been injured a day or several ago, somehow got/fled under my fence, dogs got excited at the strange new frantic arrival and nipping at it. Had an open abdominal wound with swelling, bruising, and rigidity around it--not very good signs for the poor cat but also thankfully not from my dogs.

Thorough exam from the vet and X-ray (neg for fx but clearly there's some spinal cord / nerve root compromise, partial loss of mobility as well as sensation in hindquarters). Likely type and extent of damages -- depends on whether it's actual neural damage or compression from swelling from trauma. Doesn't look good, but not hopeless either.

Raider (I thought he deserved a name) calmed down considerably at the vet's and upon being handled--clearly belonged to someone and liked humans. He'd been yowling loudly. I had a quiet chat with him and asked him what he'd like to do ... was he ready to go or did he want to cash in on one of the 9 lives?

He looked at me and meowed. Not the loud howl-yowls he'd been doing. Just a meow and tried to get up and actually move toward me (rather gallant considering I'd pretty much been torturing him all day, but some animals can sense when you're trying to help). I stroked him very gently and he nuzzled his head on my hand.

He seemed like he wanted to stick around. So they're hydrating him and some nutrients in the solution, but he'll also eat wet food. We'll give him a few days and see how he feels about things then.

Im so glad you were there to help Raider! Now I'm going to worry about him until you tell us he is all better
2014-04-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JJ- Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?

1. Everything your head tells you during taper is not true.

2. Savor each moment--the drive--the time with friends (including the 2000 new friends) and family--getting wetsuit on--etc. and always, always, thank the volunteers.

2014-04-30 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JJ-Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?
My longest races have been HIM, so I can't give you any final words of wisdom; but i do offer woo hoos and have funs and way to goes!!!
2014-04-30 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ- Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?

1. Everything your head tells you during taper is not true.

2. Savor each moment--the drive--the time with friends (including the 2000 new friends) and family--getting wetsuit on--etc. and always, always, thank the volunteers.

I hear #1 alot from people. I can only imagine what starts going through your head.

2014-04-30 9:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Im so glad you were there to help Raider! Now I'm going to worry about him until you tell us he is all better

Raider sounds like a trooper!  He's so lucky to have been found by somebody like you who could not only help him but listen to what he wants.  If he decides to stick around, you might just have acquired a new family member.  I'm sending lots of healing thoughts to both of you (I imagine you're just a hair traumatized after all that!) and hoping for the best!!  Please please keep us posted. 

2014-04-30 10:19 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Can't offer any advice but I'm *incredibly* proud of you!!!

2014-04-30 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So glad he crawled in to your car and not some other car! I think you and Raider (if he decides to stick around) are going to be "fast friends" as the Britts like to say. He's a cutie to be sure! As the others have said, please keep us posted.

2014-04-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by JJ-Well after 2 years of preparing it's finally here. In 14 days I will be driving to Houston to try and accomplish my dream of Ironman. For you IronDistance Vets any final words of wisdom as I'm wrapping up my last week and beginning my Taper?
My longest races have been HIM, so I can't give you any final words of wisdom; but i do offer woo hoos and have funs and way to goes!!!

My thoughts exactly!

2014-04-30 10:35 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Whew. I'm back. Been keeping up via email but haven't caught up on RR's yet.

I have a question for you bike brainiacs. DH and I went to the annual bike swap over the weekend. I scored a new pair of bike shoes for $25! The problem... I didn't look at the bottom. They are set up for the Look system and I am running the SPD system. So I figure my options are 1) waste/donate $25 worth of bike shoes and stick with mine, 2) switch to Look or SPD-SL (i think those would work wouldn't they) 3) I think I saw an adapter somewhere.

I'm not unhappy with the SPD system but hear good things about the SPD-SL. My old shoes are getting tired. That's why I was so excited to find the marked down shoes at the bike swap (don't recall what brand they are). Also need to consider the fact that I will have to run in them during races (I don't leave my shoes clipped in).

Thoughts?

Are they smooth bottomed road shoes or mtb shoes?  Not all road shoes can fit SPD so that's the first thing (the holes screw the cleats in may not work).  Secondly, if you switch to SPD-SL on your tri bike, what will you do with your mountain bike?  Use your tired old shoes?

They are smooth bottomed shoes. The SPD's will not work unless I buy an adapter (think i saw one online). As for the MTB, I do have some MTB shoes I rarely wear, but then I rarely ride the MTB

You could do either of 2 or 3. I have no experience with an adapter, but they do exist. And for #2, I believe both types use the same bolt hole pattern, but their cleats and pedals are not interchangeable. Shimano copied the 3 bolt Look pattern, but their cleats are don't work with Look pedals. And vice versa.

If the cost of a pedal switch isn't really an issue, the next thing to look at would be how much you like to walk around. I only have transitions and putting my foot down at a light, stop sign, etc. So it wasn't a big deal for me. Others like going into a cafe on long rides, or walking around a scenic spot a little bit. Be sure to take a good look at the adapter if you're considering it. If there isn't a lot of build-up around the cleat then they'll act more like road cleats as it's the large amount of rubber on the mtb shoe that makes them better for walking around, not the cleat itself. The smaller mtb cleat is just easier to hide in there. I've seen plenty of people with the mtb on smooth tri shoes slip around the tile floor in spin classes before.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the adapter idea. Just one more level of complication. I realize the Looks and SPL-SL's aren't compatible and all of the research I've done lends toward the SL's. I don't walk in them much. Much like you it's only during transitions and an occasional hobble through the house if I forgot something. I looked at the shoes again this morning and they are, no surprise, Shimano SpeedSL's.

2014-04-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ - lovely Moab pictures

Michael - glad that you are well

Matt - ugh, sorry about the knee.  Is it run specific? How is it for riding? Do you have a follow up with your ortho?

Yanti  - Raider!  

Jonathan - My advice, remember to have fun!

2014-04-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey all.  Back from vaca (awesome family trip) where it was tough to connect.  Lots happened here!  I'll comment as I'm able to catch up...

On this end, it looks like my season is in trouble.  My knee won't go more than a couple miles running, despite a rest period and easy ramp.  So, while I can do a couple miles at a time (so, lots of short runs in my future - which is better than the couch!), I can't do anything like "train."  

We'll see what a season without racing (might complete a couple, if I can get the distance back on the run - even without the speed) is like, as racing is my thing. Or maybe I'll be able to get back on track for the second half - we'll see.

Ugh - all that winter base evaporating…  At least I'm in shape for bikini season.  

Matt

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that Matt!

It's interesting that it's fine for the first couple of miles. Remind me, have you been to the doctor about this? 

2014-04-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

TJ - lovely Moab pictures

Michael - glad that you are well

Matt - ugh, sorry about the knee.  Is it run specific? How is it for riding? Do you have a follow up with your ortho?

Yanti  - Raider!  

Jonathan - My advice, remember to have fun!

I agree with all the above!!

Yanti, thank you for being the animal lover that you are.  Hopefully it is just swelling, but unfortunately with the loss of deep pain, it may be more.  Regardless of the outcome, he has a name, and he has been loved.   

2014-04-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I swear I can't leave you people alone for even a DAY - lookit all the stuff that goes on around here!! 

Yanti - Raider couldn't have found a better person to look out for him, and yet I remember you vehemently saying that you were NOT a cat person... apparently the cats have a very different idea

TJ - what fantastic pictures!!  I'd love to go back to Moab & the Canyonlands area one day soon

JJ - Enjoy this bit of downtime, try not to go crazy and know that you've done all that you can possibly do to get yourself ready for the race.  YOU'VE GOT THIS!

Matt - Boooooo to the knee!  

For anyone and everyone else... Happy Back of a Camel Day!  :D  

2014-04-30 11:54 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pennsylvania

Yanti and Raider - much love coming your respective ways, the poor, dear little soul.

JJ - you got this!  Take it all in, cherish the day, have fun, and enjoy!

2014-04-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Been a busy few days. Got our short-term foster pup. Took at least two hours to get him introduced properly to our beasts. I was tired out!

He's flying to Alaska this afternoon. Never knew they had a demand for Chihuahuas up there. Or they're a little confused on the size of desert sled dogs. Here's a couple of pics of the tiny piece of fur.

(20140428_204440.jpg)

(20140430_094939-1.jpg)

(20140429_125112-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140428_204440.jpg (42KB - 2 downloads)
20140430_094939-1.jpg (59KB - 3 downloads)
20140429_125112-1.jpg (49KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Got my first couple runs back in the books. Damn it feels good to run! It's crazy how much I miss it after just a few days! Taking a nice easy week then building into ... uhhh, well, building into something. 

Also, here is my Boston Marathon Race Report

So you are over your illness?  Glad to see ya back!

Feeling better, yes. But I still feel off. I am super happy to be running again and my legs feel great but I get the sweats and feel kind of fevery now and again. I'm making a GASP doctors appointment today (haven't been in like 2 years...)

Thanks for asking!

2014-04-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Been a busy few days. Got our short-term foster pup. Took at least two hours to get him introduced properly to our beasts. I was tired out!

He's flying to Alaska this afternoon. Never knew they had a demand for Chihuahuas up there. Or they're a little confused on the size of desert sled dogs. Here's a couple of pics of the tiny piece of fur.

Awwwww cute! Love the size contrast haha

2014-04-30 12:36 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

What a cutie!!  Glad he's already found a home.  Hope they're planning to give him some sweaters; depending on where he's going he's likely to to need 'em!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64689 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100354 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.