BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-29 11:04 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

"Houston, we have a problem...."

Needless to say, my dr was ecstatic yesterday when I weighed in 32 lbs down from six months ago, when she told me I was T2.  I had brought along my training calendar and she was totally on board.  However, I was less than thrilled when she told me that the rash around my  knees was not heat rash.  Apparently I have become allergic to the neoprene knee braces that hold my knees together while training.  The cream she prescribed has almost completely cleared it up in only two applications.  But now I am left with finding a different knee brace material.  I love living in the boonies, but one of the downsides is that I really don't have access to all the fancy specialty run/bike shops you city-dwellers have.  Much as I hate to say it, Amazon here I come.

Overall, very good stuff, all but the rash, but the good news is that was easily managed with cream.  As a sensitive skin person myself, I feel for ya.  I hope you are able to find non-neoprene knee braces quickly.  Their job of holding knees together is a very important one!  Really great job on the weight loss!  Keep progressing forward.

2020-01-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Being new to consistent training, I was wondering about rest days. So the discussion on rest was timely. I sort of felt like I shouldn't take time off, certainly not for a week and certainly not this soon into training, as I'd lose all the gains. But I too am traveling for work this week and have less options. So we'll see how it goes come Saturday when I'm back home and jump back in.
2020-01-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: 0

Double post

Edited by alaskatri 2020-01-30 12:06 AM
2020-01-29 12:00 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Being new to consistent training, I was wondering about rest days. So the discussion on rest was timely. I sort of felt like I shouldn't take time off, certainly not for a week and certainly not this soon into training, as I'd lose all the gains. But I too am traveling for work this week and have less options. So we'll see how it goes come Saturday when I'm back home and jump back in.

Most training plans call for 1-2 rest days per week. On those days, if people don't take the day off, they often do yoga or something short/easy.  For example, I may do a short dog run.  For a while, my plan called for a recovery swim.

What say you, fellow Manatees, does your plan call for recovery days? How do you use them?

2020-01-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alaskatri Being new to consistent training, I was wondering about rest days. So the discussion on rest was timely. I sort of felt like I shouldn't take time off, certainly not for a week and certainly not this soon into training, as I'd lose all the gains. But I too am traveling for work this week and have less options. So we'll see how it goes come Saturday when I'm back home and jump back in.

Most training plans call for 1-2 rest days per week. On those days, if people don't take the day off, they often do yoga or something short/easy.  For example, I may do a short dog run.  For a while, my plan called for a recovery swim.

What say you, fellow Manatees, does your plan call for recovery days? How do you use them?

First I think it's important to distinguish between REST days and RECOVERY days.  Rest days to me are for resting.  Meaning no workouts.  Maybe a walk. Recovery are easier/lighter days.  An endurance spin on the trainer, an easy 20 min run, or an easy swim.  Yoga or stretching.

I personally need a rest day each week. Recovery depends on the week and other workouts/focus for that week.

2020-01-29 12:17 PM

I have rest days during the week and usually do walking and stretching on those days. My plan is to start incorporating some yoga from the suffererfest. But I've seen plans that have rest weeks too. And that's kind of what I'm having right now due to travel. It's ok, but I miss getting my workout in and just want to make sure it doesn't become a habit or linger when I get back home.

2020-01-29 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes, my plans always have one rest day per week ( if they don't I create one) which is supposed to mean no activity. The plans also incorporate recovery runs or spins which are short, really easy efforts. I think both are really important for me so when workouts call for hard efforts and can actually go them! My current plan (and all I've done before) calls for 3 weeks of loading and 1 week off-loading, but I will modify it to 2-2.5 weeks of loading with 1.5-2 weeks off-loading. At least that's my current thought process.

2020-01-29 12:51 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Mine are always Mondays, and usually yoga and walking. I hate the phrase "never skip a Monday" because when you do heavy volume all week and weekend, it's OK to recover on a Monday. 

2020-01-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: #5266474

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Mondays are a great day to take as off days when you have two long days.
I am having to put in more "rest" days than I like for any future training. Yesterday I ran/walked and today I could not walk for the pain. It seems a full day after every run is going to have to be the norm. I contemplated swimming but I wasn't able to drive, either. So... my current plan has two days off (with stretching or yoga) so my run days are going to be right before those.
2020-01-29 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I use a Training Plan from Fascatcoaching, and Monday is typically a rest day. Here's the entry on my Training Peaks plan:

Recovery Day: Gotta Rest to get Faster
-
Recovery Day Rationale, Do's & Don't's:
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/take-a-recovery-day-to-come-into-for...
-
Recovery Techniques to Improve your Cycling:
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/recovery-techniques/
2020-01-29 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I usually use them as a "buffer" day.  For example when I end up traveling for work and I miss a day due to travel or late dinners, etc.  I can slide in a "rest" day and still get my workouts in for the week.  Big drawback is my rest day may not be optimal for recovery as others have suggested a Monday rest day after a heavy weekend of workouts.  It's how I deal with travel and just life.

2020-01-30 4:36 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Expert
Illinois
Good morning Manatees! What's on tap for today?
2020-01-30 6:23 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake Good morning Manatees! What's on tap for today?

Early work day. And then the fun starts, with a massage, a stop at the LBS (Local Bike Store) for tires and a board meeting/dinner. The most recent addition to my lineup of bikes in the garage needs a couple of easy items, bar tape and tires. My hard tail needs a brake bleed job. I just got some equipment for that, but that will all have to wait until Friday or Saturday.

How about with you? How goes the retirement countdown?

2020-01-30 6:28 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

"Houston, we have a problem...."

Needless to say, my dr was ecstatic yesterday when I weighed in 32 lbs down from six months ago, when she told me I was T2.  I had brought along my training calendar and she was totally on board.  However, I was less than thrilled when she told me that the rash around my  knees was not heat rash.  Apparently I have become allergic to the neoprene knee braces that hold my knees together while training.  The cream she prescribed has almost completely cleared it up in only two applications.  But now I am left with finding a different knee brace material.  I love living in the boonies, but one of the downsides is that I really don't have access to all the fancy specialty run/bike shops you city-dwellers have.  Much as I hate to say it, Amazon here I come.

I was thinking about this last night while trying to make sense of my gear box. I'd like to see what you come up with, as it seems that all of that brace equipment has some sort of oddball material.

32 pounds is a pretty awesome drop - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2020-01-30 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Plan called for a 45 minute run with 20 minutes of that a TT to set my numbers for future workouts. My legs had a different idea though, so i did run 45+ minutes with 20 of it hard for today, but nowhere near TT numbers!

2020-01-30 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I use a Training Plan from Fascatcoaching, and Monday is typically a rest day. Here's the entry on my Training Peaks plan: Recovery Day: Gotta Rest to get Faster - Recovery Day Rationale, Do's & Don't's: https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/take-a-recovery-day-to-come-into-for... - Recovery Techniques to Improve your Cycling: https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/recovery-techniques/

Thanks for sharing!

I like the DO NOT DO COUNTY LINE SPRINGS on your rest day! haha!

2020-01-30 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sleep in day plus lunch run.  Continuing to ease back into running.

2020-01-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Early work day. And then the fun starts, with a massage, a stop at the LBS (Local Bike Store) for tires and a board meeting/dinner. The most recent addition to my lineup of bikes in the garage needs a couple of easy items, bar tape and tires. My hard tail needs a brake bleed job. I just got some equipment for that, but that will all have to wait until Friday or Saturday.

Did the close to you massage person work out?

Are you ever going to share your gravel ride ideas with us?

2020-01-30 7:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Plan called for a 45 minute run with 20 minutes of that a TT to set my numbers for future workouts. My legs had a different idea though, so i did run 45+ minutes with 20 of it hard for today, but nowhere near TT numbers!

Test weeks are tough.

2020-01-30 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Test weeks are tough.

And stupid 

2020-01-30 8:36 AM

Going on a run this morning in about 30 minutes - debating outside vs. treadmill, followed by some strength and mobility (S&M).

Run = 10 min warm-up, 4x5min at race pace, 10 min cool down

2020-01-30 9:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois

I am impressed that you are tackling the brake bleed. Do you do most of your bike maintenance? Right now we lean heavily on our LBS, they are a good bunch and very accommodating.
Retirement countdown is a great thing. I used to dread meetings, now I find that I don't mind them much. Most of the initiatives here won't even affect me by the time they are implemented. I'm definitely in pseudo-coast mode.
2020-01-30 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Test weeks are tough.

And stupid 

LOL!!!!
2020-01-30 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Did the close to you massage person work out?

Are you ever going to share your gravel ride ideas with us?

I like her, I do have a few weeks in a row scheduled to get things in line. Possibilities for rides currently are:

• ONG - 2/16 Sebring Fl
  • Fakahatchee Grind - 4/4 - Naples Fl
  • Red Hills Ride to Fight Diabetes - 11/14 Thomasville, Georgia

I had a few in line for March (4G in Miami and some local group rides with a group in Gainesville), but life has happened. ONG may be a No Go, due to work stuff that weekend. So, the list is very Florida intensive. Oh yeah, I may take a day off and ride around Lake Apopka. I've heard it is nice.

2020-01-30 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake

I am impressed that you are tackling the brake bleed. Do you do most of your bike maintenance? Right now we lean heavily on our LBS, they are a good bunch and very accommodating. Retirement countdown is a great thing. I used to dread meetings, now I find that I don't mind them much. Most of the initiatives here won't even affect me by the time they are implemented. I'm definitely in pseudo-coast mode.

I try to do more on the bike from a maintenance perspective, but this will be the first hydraulic brake work. From what I have seen, it is just a matter of being careful. You may want to ask me again next week 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127