BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-13 6:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
First workout of the week is done, VO2-1. I'll do THR-1 on Wed.

Attachments
----------------
cdkayak-WK2-VO2-1.csv (116KB - 2 downloads)

2014-01-13 10:23 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

Got Threshold workout 1 done this evening and that was a tough little workout. It looks benign but once you get into 3rd plus set of holding close to threshold power, the legs get to burning. Probably will do Wed. and Fri. for the remaining 2 workouts this week. Have a great night everyone.

Ron

Attachments
----------------
2014-01-13-bt-power-week-2-thr-1-621843.tcx (1866KB - 5 downloads)
2014-01-14 5:33 AM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WaterRat

Got Threshold workout 1 done this evening and that was a tough little workout. It looks benign but once you get into 3rd plus set of holding close to threshold power, the legs get to burning. Probably will do Wed. and Fri. for the remaining 2 workouts this week. Have a great night everyone.

Ron

Thanks

Sharing how the workouts felt is really useful. I am going to try and do Threshold 1 this morning.
2014-01-14 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by WaterRat Got Threshold workout 1 done this evening and that was a tough little workout. It looks benign but once you get into 3rd plus set of holding close to threshold power, the legs get to burning. Probably will do Wed. and Fri. for the remaining 2 workouts this week. Have a great night everyone. Ron
Thanks Sharing how the workouts felt is really useful. I am going to try and do Threshold 1 this morning.

Threshold 1 done this morning.  I didn't think it was bad at all....of course, 3:30 intervals are WAY more palatable than the 15 to 20 minute intervals that I know are eventually coming! 

I did the first interval at 95% of FTP and progressively worked my way up to just over FTP by the last interval.  Even the 70% recovery intervals felt better today than they did for Ride #3 last week (presumably because the working interval was higher, so there was a greater differential between the two).

2014-01-14 7:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Question for Jason & Jason,

when you road race, what is a typical duration ?

do you tend to be in the first peloton or second ?

what type of wattage do you typically do for most of the race ? How close to FTP ?

if you are in the second (or third) peloton, how much more wattage would you have to be in the next one up ?

Couple of thoughts. Basically what Jason #1 said. First is I did not race as much as I would have liked to last year. The way the races fell and where they were made it difficult for me to make them. Was very busy with the kids this year. I did do a decent amount of group rides with some strong guys and I did do the CT State and New England Road Race Championship for Cat 5. You are stuck in Cat 5 until you do 10 races and those races are generally shorter. We did one 22 mile loop where Cat 4 did two and Cat 3 did three. It was pretty tough and in the second half has two pretty punchy climbs and it finished on a 2 mile climb around 6% or so grade.

I'm usually at the front of every group ride I end up doing and was at the front of the race (too much in the front and too early) until a big attack on the first punchy climb where it gets pretty steep for awhile and wasn't ready for it. 6 guys got off the front. I led the first chase group of 5 but was doing all the work so attacked them twice and the second one stuck. Then I rode about 330 watts for 10 minutes or so until I bridged the gap to the leaders, got a 2-3 minute reprieve I think and then the 7 of us came to the bottom of the 2 mile finish climb where they attacked hard. I had burnt my matches and was happy to have been in the front on a hilly race. I didn't have the w/kg to go with them. I averaged another 336 watts for 10-11 minutes or so to the top and finished just off the leaders in 7th.

I guess I wrote the longish version of the story to illustrate that the race could have unfolded a number of ways, so it really depends on the race and your strengths and your strategy and the course and you need to react the best you can to what others are doing. It isn't easy like a triathlon where you just go ride 80% steady for a couple hours. You generally have to be able ride at 200% for minute here and a minute there and then back to tempo and then again and again or you do what I did where I was in a very different zone than the chase group who were taking turns vs me just soloing to the front in time trial mode all out.

In a crit (which is what I'm trying this year) it is very different because it is about a mile loop that you hammer through and there are no serious climbs and you are going 25mph. The little climbers would have had a very different experience getting to the front at a race like that. Better suited to all rounders, bigger guys with bigger numbers who can punch through the wind and then launch a sprint when they need to. I won the Cat 4/5 state time trial against some of the guys who did better than me at the Cat 4 and the Cat 5 road race. So it is just different. A flatter race would suit me very well I think (from what my friends tell me). I have a high enough ftp to be in the group for the most part without killing myself and then I can do 1000+ watts for 30 seconds or so in a sprint. So I want to try that out. I THINK my biggest issue will be going from 200% for 1' back to 90% for 4' back to 200% for awhile like that...I haven't trained quite like that and it is shell shock on the legs. It is easy to do 200% and then do 50% :)

I just like the challenge, the strategy, constantly thinking and reacting. It is very different than triathlon or running where unless you are a pro you are basically just executing your pace (which I also like, but it is just a different sport).

On your last question, basically I was too fat to win on a hilly race last year. If I was 10lbs less I would have probably won. I ate a ton of cheeseburgers and drank a lot of beer this summer. I have a lot to lose and it is doable so that I guess is the bright side vs being already very lean and only having the option of making my power go up. I can do both.

Ok. Probably way too much info.

Edit to add: On the road race my AW was 277 and my NP was 335 for 1 hour.

Edited by JAYCT 2014-01-14 9:12 AM
2014-01-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maine
Originally posted by JAYCT

• Ok. Probably way too much info.

Not too much at all. It's interesting to hear what others are doing and how your past races relate to what we're doing in this group. I came to tris and running races from a very recreational background, casual biking and swimming & rarely running. The strategy of bike racing is new to me. The only thing I really got competitive at prior to this was rifle competition.(a whole different animal)

Edited by cdkayak 2014-01-14 9:01 AM

2014-01-14 8:45 AM
    in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Master
    Overland Park, KS
    Marq/Shane,

My cold put me behind some and I still have workout #3 of the original set to do. Should I do that one or just jump into the new post-test workout series? I have to travel out of town next week and won't be able to bike or swim Tuesday through Friday so I will be a little more behind.

I will be doing a workout tomorrow morning followed by workouts on Friday then Sunday or Monday morning so I can get in 3 workouts before my trip. Is it safe to say that there should be at least one day of rest between each of these workouts? I can do back to back days but I'm guessing that's not ideal with these types of workouts.
    2014-01-14 8:47 AM
    in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    Originally posted by reecealan

Marq/Shane,

My cold put me behind some and I still have workout #3 of the original set to do. Should I do that one or just jump into the new post-test workout series? I have to travel out of town next week and won't be able to bike or swim Tuesday through Friday so I will be a little more behind.

I will be doing a workout tomorrow morning followed by workouts on Friday then Sunday or Monday morning so I can get in 3 workouts before my trip. Is it safe to say that there should be at least one day of rest between each of these workouts? I can do back to back days but I'm guessing that's not ideal with these types of workouts.

I would skip #3 from the first week and jump in with this week's workouts. The third one from last week was not critical but rather a third somewhat focused ride to finish the week of testing where as the rides this week are significantly more focused on building fitness.

Shane
    2014-01-14 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
    Orangevale, CA

Originally posted by croyston
    A quick question, I'm still having issues with huge spikes that end up killing the scale of the workout on the screen (everything is shrunken at the bottom of the screen). Is there a way to tell CG to not automatically adjust the scale for power?

I need to research this. There is a hidden configuration file that you can tweak parameters. I have to try this.

One thing I have heard causes the spikes is a speed/cadence sensor at the same time as the PT. Could that be the cause ?

Did Week 2 Threshold Workout #1 this morning.

Still having spikes with power, but now GC has my speed jumping all over the place without the Garmin speed/cadence sensor. GC had me riding 60+ miles for the workout with a max speed of over 16000 MPH :P

Garmin seems to handle the data much better: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/429913226
    2014-01-14 11:05 AM

User image

Master
    Overland Park, KS
    The CP chart is very cool. I both love it and hate it at the same time. For now I love it as I can train with virtual power. I will hate it when I ride outdoors "naked" because I don't own a power meter. I have a whole development and engineering team in this building working on centrifugal pumps and controls. I'm wondering if they can make me one. Garmin HQ is also 10 minutes away but I don't have a buddy over there.

I'm going to be on our sales guys butts so we can hit our sales target and get some bonus money, daddy needs a power meter!
    2014-01-14 11:47 AM
    in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by WaterRat Got Threshold workout 1 done this evening and that was a tough little workout. It looks benign but once you get into 3rd plus set of holding close to threshold power, the legs get to burning. Probably will do Wed. and Fri. for the remaining 2 workouts this week. Have a great night everyone. Ron
    Thanks Sharing how the workouts felt is really useful. I am going to try and do Threshold 1 this morning.

Threshold 1 done this morning.  I didn't think it was bad at all....of course, 3:30 intervals are WAY more palatable than the 15 to 20 minute intervals that I know are eventually coming! 

I did the first interval at 95% of FTP and progressively worked my way up to just over FTP by the last interval.  Even the 70% recovery intervals felt better today than they did for Ride #3 last week (presumably because the working interval was higher, so there was a greater differential between the two).

I suspect my CP is set a little high. I found that Threshold 1 tough. I never found it particularly hard during the workout, but 1 hour after I feel sleepy

It will be interesting to see how I run a little later.

2014-01-14 1:34 PM

User image

I got Week 2 Threshold 1 done this morning and also found it fairly challenging. And now I can't stop eating!

I really let my power fall between the intervals. I felt like I wouldn't be able to finish the intervals if I stayed at the prescribed power during the rest period. I WAS able to complete the work intervals, so maybe next time I just need to HTFU on the rest portion. I also had to work the night shift over the weekend and I usually find that affects my HR for a few days, so maybe it affects my power as well.

Did anyone else using Trainer Road start to cry a little bit when they realized that last interval wasn't actually over at 5 minutes?

2014-01-14 1:43 PM
    in reply to: croyston

User image

Regular
    Spokane

A quick question, I'm still having issues with huge spikes that end up killing the scale of the workout on the screen (everything is shrunken at the bottom of the screen). Is there a way to tell CG to not automatically adjust the scale for power?

I need to research this. There is a hidden configuration file that you can tweak parameters. I have to try this.

One thing I have heard causes the spikes is a speed/cadence sensor at the same time as the PT. Could that be the cause ?

Still having spikes with power, but now GC has my speed jumping all over the place without the Garmin speed/cadence sensor. GC had me riding 60+ miles for the workout with a max speed of over 16000 MPH :P

Garmin seems to handle the data much better: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/429913226

I'm having the same problem also with the power spikes and speed variances even after removing my GSC10. I can't seem to figure it out. I'll just continue to use Trainerroad and my Joule during workouts. I can at least download the correct data into GC with the Joule after the fact.
    2014-01-14 2:12 PM
    in reply to: littlewj

User image

Would anyone like to comment on the choice of doing the Threshold 2 workout vs. Sweetspot for the all-rounders group? I was wondering which would be better for me. Would anyone like to define what those terms mean? I'm finding some conflicting info on the internet.

2014-01-14 2:17 PM
    in reply to: RunningJoke

Originally posted by RunningJoke

Did anyone else using Trainer Road start to cry a little bit when they realized that last interval wasn't actually over at 5 minutes?

I had already noticed that it was a 10 min segment so when it started and I saw 5 min, I knew they split the segment. Even knowing this it wasn't any easier. I started that last 10 min right at prescribed power ~187 and built through the end to about 198ish. That is 3 of us that felt the threshold 1 was a nice little effort. I did not find it too taxing on the cardio as my max heart rate was only 151. It just hurt in the muscle/gas tank.

Ron
    2014-01-14 2:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by RunningJoke Would anyone like to comment on the choice of doing the Threshold 2 workout vs. Sweetspot for the all-rounders group? I was wondering which would be better for me. Would anyone like to define what those terms mean? I'm finding some conflicting info on the internet.

I'm not following the workouts, so I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but in general a threshold workout is going to have intervals targeted at 95-103% of FTP, and may range from 7-20 minutes in length per interval.  Sweet spot is generally 88-93% of FTP, and may range from 15-30' (sometimes longer) in length per interval.

Both workouts can be very effective.  The term sweet spot comes from the belief that you get good benefits out of that type of effort and it doesn't have as much recovery costs so you can repeat them a couple days in a row, or maybe 4-5x a week.  So obviously, it takes a little more time and volume to achieve the same benefits as a threshold workout, but if you prefer to ride more often it's a good choice.  If you want to stick to riding 60-70 minutes, 3x a week, more focus on threshold efforts may give you a better bang for your buck.

2014-01-14 2:45 PM
    in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by WaterRat

I had already noticed that it was a 10 min segment so when it started and I saw 5 min, I knew they split the segment. Even knowing this it wasn't any easier. I started that last 10 min right at prescribed power ~187 and built through the end to about 198ish. That is 3 of us that felt the threshold 1 was a nice little effort. I did not find it too taxing on the cardio as my max heart rate was only 151. It just hurt in the muscle/gas tank.

Ron

ooooh. The last 10min at 85% gets displayed as 2x5min at 85% ?. That one ?
    The gizmo I use to generate the mrc files does that.
    2014-01-14 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Would anyone like to comment on the choice of doing the Threshold 2 workout vs. Sweetspot for the all-rounders group? I was wondering which would be better for me. Would anyone like to define what those terms mean? I'm finding some conflicting info on the internet.

Those definitions Jason gave are correct although we are currently at the low end of threshold at 92%.
    The sweet spot workout is harder in my opinion. If you found that last 10min of "threshold 1" long, wait until the last 12min of sweet spot.
    That being said, I think it's a great endurance builder workout, which is why I will do that one.
    (He says bravely 3 days ahead of time....then he wimps out....)

If Nicole is reading....I would do SweatSpot....good for that upcoming race :-)
    2014-01-14 3:33 PM

User image

Master
    Guilford, CT

Those definitions Jason gave are correct although we are currently at the low end of threshold at 92%.
    The sweet spot workout is harder in my opinion. If you found that last 10min of "threshold 1" long, wait until the last 12min of sweet spot.
    That being said, I think it's a great endurance builder workout, which is why I will do that one.
    (He says bravely 3 days ahead of time....then he wimps out....)

If Nicole is reading....I would do SweatSpot....good for that upcoming race :-)

I reviewed it as well and am planning on the sweetspot. I could use the 1:30 vs the :50 session for a little added endurance. TSS is a bit higher although I know it isn't all created equal. I'm a little low on endurance right now though is what my gut tells me and hitting a couple of efforts after the 1hr mark will be good for the soul.
    2014-01-14 4:15 PM
    in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by JAYCT
    Ok. Probably way too much info.

Au contraire. Very interesting stuff ! Thank you
    2014-01-14 4:24 PM
    in reply to: croyston

User image

Extreme Veteran

I searched the GC groups and did not find anything....yet.

2014-01-14 6:05 PM
    in reply to: littlewj

User image

Veteran
    Orangevale, CA

I'm having the same problem also with the power spikes and speed variances even after removing my GSC10. I can't seem to figure it out. I'll just continue to use Trainerroad and my Joule during workouts. I can at least download the correct data into GC with the Joule after the fact.

I'm doing a similar thing by just directly loading the FIT file from my Garmin in GC on my main PC.
    2014-01-14 7:12 PM

Brampton, Ontario
    Hi Marc

Did work out #1 see numbers felt good just some discomfort sitting down to long,, trying to get up during work to relieve some pressure.. What numbers would you like me to post for you to see?
    Thanks
    P
    2014-01-14 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
    Houston, Texas

Originally posted by RunningJoke Would anyone like to comment on the choice of doing the Threshold 2 workout vs. Sweetspot for the all-rounders group? I was wondering which would be better for me. Would anyone like to define what those terms mean? I'm finding some conflicting info on the internet.
    Those definitions Jason gave are correct although we are currently at the low end of threshold at 92%. The sweet spot workout is harder in my opinion. If you found that last 10min of "threshold 1" long, wait until the last 12min of sweet spot. That being said, I think it's a great endurance builder workout, which is why I will do that one. (He says bravely 3 days ahead of time....then he wimps out....) If Nicole is reading....I would do SweatSpot....good for that upcoming race :-)

Yep, I'm planning to do the Sweet (Sweat ) Spot workout as well.  I know that one of my weaknesses is forcing myself to hold power for longer intervals (physically, I'm fully capable....mentally, I tend to give up when I'm "racing" myself instead of others!), so the longer intervals of that ride will be more challenging and beneficial for me.

Plus, as Marc mentioned, I have my A race (St. George 70.3) coming up in May, so I need to be doing some longer rides.

2014-01-14 7:57 PM
    in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Those definitions Jason gave are correct although we are currently at the low end of threshold at 92%. The sweet spot workout is harder in my opinion. If you found that last 10min of "threshold 1" long, wait until the last 12min of sweet spot. That being said, I think it's a great endurance builder workout, which is why I will do that one. (He says bravely 3 days ahead of time....then he wimps out....) If Nicole is reading....I would do SweatSpot....good for that upcoming race :-)

Yep, I'm planning to do the Sweet (Sweat ) Spot workout as well.  I know that one of my weaknesses is forcing myself to hold power for longer intervals (physically, I'm fully capable....mentally, I tend to give up when I'm "racing" myself instead of others!), so the longer intervals of that ride will be more challenging and beneficial for me.

Plus, as Marc mentioned, I have my A race (St. George 70.3) coming up in May, so I need to be doing some longer rides.

I think sweet spot time in prep for a HIM is really important.  It's an effort one notch above where you should be on race day so not only is it important to get in the work...but I also try to make some mental notes about how it feels (RPE), my HR, etc.  Because really, the sweet spot power/effort level is your danger zone for a HIM.

Power is usually a reliable metric to pace yourself for racing...except when it's not.  Maybe due to going too hard on the swim, hot/humid weather, a bad day, etc...even if your power tells you that you're spot on...if the effort feels like your SS training, you need to back off.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
    Views: 60943 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
    Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 29, 2013
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 0
    There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
    author : EndurancePlanet
    This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
    date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
    author : jasongootman
    In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
    date : December 3, 2008
    author : jasongootman
    What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
    date : April 1, 2008
    author : sportfactory
    How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.