BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-14 8:09 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

I ran a 22:07 for 9th OA and 1st AG.  That's a minute slower than my last 5k, and is a function of being sick for the last month with whatever bug I have and not being able to train regularly.

Anyhow, it was a good run.  Ran step for step with a friend who won the female OA up until the next to last corner when I went up ahead to try to catch a couple people.  It was pretty cool to run a race with a friend pretty much the whole way!

2015-06-14 10:42 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Great day for me!  I was super happy with everything, I raced my plan.  Didn't quite make my goal of a sub 6 (common theme around here!), but I was darn close.  RR will be up soon.

2015-06-14 11:13 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!!

June 13-14
Robin - Boulder 70.3 on Saturday
Steve -  Boise 70.3 on Saturday
Adrienne - Mount Adams Ascent (both days)
Kirsten - IM Victoria 70.3 on Sunday
Tom - Michigan Camp Meeting 5K on Sunday

Disabled List
Erin - knee
Tom - under the weather << this is a problem since Tom is also listed above!

Dayum!!! "We" are busting out some serious chit this weekend!!!!!!  Go RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! There will be stalking galore!!!!! 

ETA: I was liking the no DL. Let's get that fixed mkay?

Somebody post bib #s for easy stalking. Good luck racers! Heal up hurt people!

I am not a super stalker nor do I play one on television.  This may or may not be correct.

Steve Barlow #413
Ironman Boise 70.3

Kirsten Wilson #670 from BC (confusing as there is also a Kirstin Wilson from WA!)
Ironman Victoria 70.3

Robin Krening-Capra #1711
Ironman Boulder 70.3

Good luck other racers! Don't forget to smile for the cameras!Yup, I'm 1711. My goal was to go under 6 hours. But I decided yesterday when they were talking about cancelling the swim because the bacteria level was too high that my "I wants" were taking too much energy. So instead I've decided to follow my coach's race plan, race my race and not a watch, and to remember what happens at the finish line. (Last year I passed out and had no idea that I ran down a red carpet to the finish line.)Oh, the swim is back on but they're cautioning us not to drink the water. :p
You followed your plan and kept that sub 6 mostly in sight
I didn't sub 6 but I'm really happy with my race, especially the run. At first I was bummed with the swim because I was about a minute slower than last year. However, the course was 1.3 miles so I was actually 4 sec/100 faster than last year. Even the pros were at least a minute slower. Water was rough but I'm happy. Bike was great and I didn't want to get off. Then there was the run. First two minutes of the run I felt great and amazing. Then I got to the top of a small hill and my right quad cramped. Then my left. I tried to run it off but then my hamstrings joined the party. When I could run i was at a 10:30 pace and feeling good. But then anytime I got to a hill or even an false flat I would cramp. The last mile was torture as both legs were cramped from my butt to my toes. By the time I hit the finish line my lower back was having a temper tantrum with a spasm. At the finish line they put my arms in a huge tub of water and ice to cool me down. While my run time sucked I never quit and never mentally gave up. I have never seen so many people puke in a race before as I did on that run yesterday. The temperature was only 85 but the "feels like" was 93 because of the humidity. We don't do humidity here. One of my friends said it felt like he was back in Florida and running in that heat and humidity. I'll do a proper race report either while we're in Hawaii or after I get back.

I'm so proud of you!!!  Sorry I couldn't make it out to cheer for you in person.  I was definitely there in spirit as you limped past, though.  (((Hugs))) long after the fact.

2015-06-14 11:14 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I ran a 22:07 for 9th OA and 1st AG.  That's a minute slower than my last 5k, and is a function of being sick for the last month with whatever bug I have and not being able to train regularly.

Anyhow, it was a good run.  Ran step for step with a friend who won the female OA up until the next to last corner when I went up ahead to try to catch a couple people.  It was pretty cool to run a race with a friend pretty much the whole way!

Maybe not your optimal time, but it sure sounds like you had a super race.  Hope you feel better.

2015-06-14 11:15 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IronOx

Great day for me!  I was super happy with everything, I raced my plan.  Didn't quite make my goal of a sub 6 (common theme around here!), but I was darn close.  RR will be up soon.

Way to go!!

2015-06-14 11:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Really glad to hear others had great days.  Can't wait to hear more details.

I had a very rough day.  Several times I had to fight past a DNF.  Not due to strength or fitness but pain in my hips that began when I got on the bike.  It took every trick in my bag to get through.  Boise is cursed for me.  My wife is not going to be happy but I need a revenge HIM very soon.

2015-06-15 4:52 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations to all the racing Manatees!!  You all did wonderfully - even if you did not quite hit your pre-race goals.  Some of you had to over come some pretty big physical obstacles to make it to the finish - way to go!!

2015-06-15 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great job racers!

Erin, take care of that let.  Really.

Robin, you killed that bike and did a great job getting 'er done on the run.  I thought about you while I was riding. I was like, "I'm still pedaling and she's probably done by now!"  <<VBG>> Enjoy Maui!

Steve, sorry that I guessed wrong on your number.  I was doing the "Steves from WA" search and didn't get it quite right.  Definitely not a Super Stalker.  Sorry about the hip pain.  That's disappointing but you did pull out a pretty solid effort.  How was the water temperature this year?

Kirsten, great race!  I'm sure that the fact that you've done the Oly there helped mentally.  Strong results all the way around.  Solid swim, nice bike on on that hilly course and strong, steady run. 

Tom, nice job out there.  Now hurry up and get fully recovered from whatever illness has been keeping you down!

2015-06-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Good job everyone on their racing!

2015-06-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOO HOOO another great manatee weekend!

Congrats to everyone for pushing through and getting it done - and some with bling to show for it!
2015-06-15 10:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by popsracer

I had a very rough day.  Several times I had to fight past a DNF.  Not due to strength or fitness but pain in my hips that began when I got on the bike.  It took every trick in my bag to get through.  Boise is cursed for me.  My wife is not going to be happy but I need a revenge HIM very soon.

You're not alone. Boise has a way of breaking people. Chris Lieto STILL talks about this particular race (2009) ... Crowie too. Both collapsed onto each other at the finish line after Crowie very barely outsprinted Chris.

So CONGRATULATIONS NOT-SO-NANCY

2015-06-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

You're not alone. Boise has a way of breaking people. Chris Lieto STILL talks about this particular race (2009) ... Crowie too. Both collapsed onto each other at the finish line after Crowie very barely outsprinted Chris.

So CONGRATULATIONS NOT-SO-NANCY

Thanks Yanti.  I guess I'm in pretty good company.

When I crossed the line I had to fight back tears and I just wanted to sit under a tree and cry.  Alas, my wife kept posing me for pictures and telling me to smile wider into the iphone camera.  I had to weep inside.  As I said before I need to race soon to get this monkey off my back.

2015-06-15 12:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Looking forward to reading about everyone's races! It sounds like there was a lot of takeaways!

We made it to the summit and I was able to snowboard off my second volcano, straight from the summit of  12,280'

I have been getting spoiled with the amazing weather I've been blessed on ever single mountaineering adventure I've made. 

It was awesome sitting atop our camp on Adams looking at St. Helens and knowing I ran around it and snowboarded off of it.

2015-06-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Looking forward to reading about everyone's races! It sounds like there was a lot of takeaways!

We made it to the summit and I was able to snowboard off my second volcano, straight from the summit of  12,280'

I have been getting spoiled with the amazing weather I've been blessed on ever single mountaineering adventure I've made. 

It was awesome sitting atop our camp on Adams looking at St. Helens and knowing I ran around it and snowboarded off of it.

So awesome in the truest sense of the word!  We sure have been lucky with weather lately!

2015-06-15 12:39 PM

User image

Master

Sorry to hear you struggled Steve.  Congrats on fighting through, that is huge.

2015-06-15 2:36 PM

User image

Master

2015-06-15 3:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

So impressive, and I simply LOVE the last picture here.

2015-06-15 4:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Great job, racers!  Looking forward to the reports!

2015-06-16 9:29 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So I ran a lengthy run of 3.6 miles Sunday, and I still have some lingering soreness from it.  The run itself wasn't too bad, but I would have had to bike really hard for an hour or so to get the same level of soreness in my quads.  Funny how the slightest change in activity makes a difference.

2015-06-16 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Wow, that must have been breathtaking to be up on top like that looking over the State.  The snow looks so refreshing.  You sure are taking advantage of all this great region has to offer.

I have a question.  Are the effects of altitude linear from sea level or do you only notice it above a certain point?  At what elevation would you begin to notice a decrease in performance?  I ask as I try to make sense out of my last weekend.  The swim and bike were just over 3000 feet and I'm wondering if that affected me.

2015-06-16 11:25 AM

User image

Seattle

Wow, that must have been breathtaking to be up on top like that looking over the State.  The snow looks so refreshing.  You sure are taking advantage of all this great region has to offer.

I have a question.  Are the effects of altitude linear from sea level or do you only notice it above a certain point?  At what elevation would you begin to notice a decrease in performance?  I ask as I try to make sense out of my last weekend.  The swim and bike were just over 3000 feet and I'm wondering if that affected me.

I'm not sure that it is linear but I have heard there is an approximate 1% change in vo2 max per 1,000'. Personally, (and this is all "feelings" based) I think it is exponential. I would love to hear an answer though.

We were camping at about 10,000 feet and my friend was wearing a HRM. Her resting heart rate was double! 

2015-06-16 12:22 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm not sure that it is linear but I have heard there is an approximate 1% change in vo2 max per 1,000'. Personally, (and this is all "feelings" based) I think it is exponential. I would love to hear an answer though.

We were camping at about 10,000 feet and my friend was wearing a HRM. Her resting heart rate was double! 

It's a gradual change as the air pressure decreases, thus less oxygen saturation. You only really feel the effects in increments, especially because you're not acclimating to the gradual change.  I generally notice it about about every 2,000-2,500'.

2015-06-16 1:43 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

It's a gradual change as the air pressure decreases, thus less oxygen saturation. You only really feel the effects in increments, especially because you're not acclimating to the gradual change.  I generally notice it about about every 2,000-2,500'.

I noticed it a little

2015-06-17 1:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh the joy and excitement Manatees!!!!!!

I have finally found a sports bra that fits!!!!!!!!!!
I know you boys wont understand that this is something to celebrate and I am so sorry for over sharing but after an 18 month search this is a bigger deal than getting a new bike

(now I just need to run to make sure they get used.)
2015-06-17 2:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So is buying another pair of running shoes because they are a mega cool colour a valid reason?

I currently have two pairs that I am using and 1 new pair in storage because Phil got then when he was over there at the beginning of the year and they are so much cheaper over there.

But these are just such a cool colour I am thinking of getting them (they are the sort I currently wear). My biggest issue is where am I going to stash them so Phil cant find them and give me a hard time about it

(shoes.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
shoes.JPG (38KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68401 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38643 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.