BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-16 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
Great job to 2 tough racers Tony and Suzy!! Both of you are amazing!

2011-04-16 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I can honestly say I had a lot of fun today.....see for yourself!  Now it's time to celebrate at a new restaurant with some bodacious red wine!!!

PS. George, when you have no kids you can actually get a race report within 8 hours of the event! And I was waiting for the official results to come out before spilling the beans.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-04-16 5:32 PM
2011-04-16 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3450204

User image

Veteran

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-04-16 5:44 PM
2011-04-16 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3450185

User image

Veteran
bfwhitt - 2011-04-16 1:54 PM

OK you guys are on hyper drive compared to my last group...I am not even going to try to  read all of these blogs....the question is how to jump into this group and not get overwhelmed..... alright so I am going to just post my own thoughts for now and how training is going...and I apologize up front if I do not respond to a comment. ....Life is crazy ...and just trying to keep up with family, work, and other miscellaneous things....oh yeah and then there is training.... OK I am done complaining....like the rest of you are not busy either...... right?

So feeling good about my training so far this year...I have a Sprint in May ( I almost said no sweat...but then did not want to sound too cocky and add bad karma), Oly in July (now that one scares me a little..just the swim), then a sprint in the fall...maybe sprinkle in some other races in between, this is my third year and I have been adding an extra race or challenge every year.....

Every year I am feeling a little stronger and building on the previous year...longer, faster, maybe(very small maybe) smarter about my training....

So I did my first mini brick last week, got off the bike into a run and the calves started to twinge and almost cramped up....what do you think? Not enough hydration? Happened to me last year at my last race...had to stop and stretch them out....

Suzy - First of all nice race.

Never thought about heel up or heel down while pedaling, I guess I should start paying attention, think I did about 20 miles that day on the bike, had about 8 os water with cytomax that I drained. Then just threw my running shoes on and ran. started cramping pretty quickly within the first 1/4 mile. could feel both calves starting to twinge, it did go away when I slowed down a bit. Not sure what other info would be helpful....any recommended resources for proper pedaling?

2011-04-16 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

For those of you new(er) to triathlon or anyone interested I found a good magazine at Barnes & Noble tonight. It is from the  UK and produced by 220 Triathlon Magazine:

http://www.magazine-group.co.uk/static_content/3pm/images/T563/guide

Edited by DougRob 2011-04-16 6:43 PM
2011-04-16 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3450261

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2011-04-16 3:36 PM

Race 1 of 2 done this weekend.

Swim was awful.  It seemed one minute I was swimming towards the buoy's next I am way, way, outside, probably swam a HIM swim instead.

I think I rocked the bike.  LOL, curious to read other RR's if they comment on the a-hole screaming at people to get back over.  Not sure why people felt the need to ride on the left side of the lane.  They would pass someone and not get back over.  I was flying around the course today so I did lots of yelling.... 

Run was ok.  There was a trail section maybe 1/4 mile long that was complete slop.  I was really worried I was going to pull a hamstring through that section. 

Transitions were probably poo-poo, sorry John :

Ended up 2:34 and change, I think the swim probably killed my time, I stopped wearing a watch for that part so I have to wait for splits to come out. 

Now time to rest for 8:30 am start tomorrow, lol my plan is to sit in the pack and if anyone yells at me to chase down a break I'm using today as an excuse not to. : )

i heard the dudes moved over to the left on the bike for you because you kept going across and over them on the swim. 

HA!

awesome job man!!! 

2011-04-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3450422

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-04-16 6:31 PM

I can honestly say I had a lot of fun today.....see for yourself!  Now it's time to celebrate at a new restaurant with some bodacious red wine!!!

PS. George, when you have no kids you can actually get a race report within 8 hours of the event! And I was waiting for the official results to come out before spilling the beans.

nice a/g win young lady!!!   enjoy dinner and wrestling.

2011-04-16 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

rachel you meant to POST YOUR RR,  right?  :-)

awesome job,  take care of that foot!

2011-04-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3450508

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-16 7:47 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-16 6:31 PM

nice a/g win young lady!!!   enjoy dinner and wrestling.

HA, I have kids and I put my RR up so there : P

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248598

EDIT: Also I am always down on myself in RR's.  This ended up being a 9 minute PR at Oly distance so I shouldn't complain.

Edited by dalessit 2011-04-16 7:47 PM
2011-04-16 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3450505

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-16 7:45 PM
dalessit - 2011-04-16 3:36 PM

Swim was awful.  It seemed one minute I was swimming towards the buoy's next I am way, way, outside, probably swam a HIM swim instead.

I think I rocked the bike.  LOL, curious to read other RR's if they comment on the a-hole screaming at people to get back over.  Not sure why people felt the need to ride on the left side of the lane.  They would pass someone and not get back over.  I was flying around the course today so I did lots of yelling.... 

Run was ok.  There was a trail section maybe 1/4 mile long that was complete slop.  I was really worried I was going to pull a hamstring through that section. 

Ended up 2:34 and change, I think the swim probably killed my time, I stopped wearing a watch for that part so I have to wait for splits to come out. 

Now time to rest for 8:30 am start tomorrow, lol my plan is to sit in the pack and if anyone yells at me to chase down a break I'm using today as an excuse not to. : )

i heard the dudes moved over to the left on the bike for you because you kept going across and over them on the swim. 

HA!

awesome job man!!! 

LOL, though I was so far outside there were not many out there with me.

2011-04-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3450261

User image

Veteran
Richmond
dalessit - 2011-04-16 2:36 PM

Great job on your Rumpus in Bumpass!!  I punted this race, got up and forecast still looked bad, it was supposed to be OWS practice and a fun day to break up the IMCDA training for me.  It didn't look like it was going to be fun and had more to lose than gain, so I stayed home and went on trainer and then to pool, only to have the pool close because of the storm!

2011-04-16 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3450587

User image

Expert
dalessit -

EDIT: Also I am always down on myself in RR's.  This ended up being a 9 minute PR at Oly distance so I shouldn't complain.

So it was cold, windy and wet plus you put up a great time of 2:34 which was a PR and you're down????????? Yell

Seriously that's a great effort enjoy it.

2011-04-16 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Wow, we have a talented MG here!  Congrats EVERYBODY on such awesome races! 

I had a 2 hour ride today, my first long one in a couple weeks, and my knee just doesn't like it.  Since I started getting this tendonitis, my leg just wants to be straight, not bent at all.  So it feels like my leg just wants to straighten the entire ride, which obviously, it can't.  I got up a couple times to jog in place to loosen it up.  I don't know what the deal is here.  Hopefully, when I get my new saddle and refit, it'll fix itself.

Speaking of new saddles, my girlie parts hurt so bad from that ride!  Cry It's definitely time to change it.

2011-04-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3450444

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
bfwhitt - 2011-04-16 6:53 PM
bfwhitt - 2011-04-16 1:54 PM

OK you guys are on hyper drive compared to my last group...I am not even going to try to  read all of these blogs....the question is how to jump into this group and not get overwhelmed..... alright so I am going to just post my own thoughts for now and how training is going...and I apologize up front if I do not respond to a comment. ....Life is crazy ...and just trying to keep up with family, work, and other miscellaneous things....oh yeah and then there is training.... OK I am done complaining....like the rest of you are not busy either...... right?

So feeling good about my training so far this year...I have a Sprint in May ( I almost said no sweat...but then did not want to sound too cocky and add bad karma), Oly in July (now that one scares me a little..just the swim), then a sprint in the fall...maybe sprinkle in some other races in between, this is my third year and I have been adding an extra race or challenge every year.....

Every year I am feeling a little stronger and building on the previous year...longer, faster, maybe(very small maybe) smarter about my training....

So I did my first mini brick last week, got off the bike into a run and the calves started to twinge and almost cramped up....what do you think? Not enough hydration? Happened to me last year at my last race...had to stop and stretch them out....

Suzy - First of all nice race.

Never thought about heel up or heel down while pedaling, I guess I should start paying attention, think I did about 20 miles that day on the bike, had about 8 os water with cytomax that I drained. Then just threw my running shoes on and ran. started cramping pretty quickly within the first 1/4 mile. could feel both calves starting to twinge, it did go away when I slowed down a bit. Not sure what other info would be helpful....any recommended resources for proper pedaling?

Bruce,  This might be more detail about pedaling technique than you are looking for, but check it out.  My spin instructor always emphasizes keeping the feet flat (especially making sure you don't push the toes down) and at the bottom of the stroke, it should feel like wiping your muddy foot on a rug, and then pull on the up-stroke.  Then, do it all in one really smooth motion!

http://www.bikesplit.com/bsa4.htm

Maybe you just pushed the run a little too fast after getting off the bike? 

Or, it could be dehydration, nutrition (lack of sodium, potassium and magnesium). 

2011-04-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3450662

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
SoccerGK - 2011-04-16 9:41 PM

Speaking of new saddles, my girlie parts hurt so bad from that ride!  Cry It's definitely time to change it.

If you find a saddle that is kind to the "girlie parts", please share.  I keep trying different adjustments to mine (the saddle that is, LOL) and things still aren't happy! 

2011-04-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3450642

User image

Champion
everlong - 2011-04-16 9:26 PM
dalessit -

So it was cold, windy and wet plus you put up a great time of 2:34 which was a PR and you're down????????? Yell

Seriously that's a great effort enjoy it.

HAHA, no not down, just my RR's always seem to focus on the stuff I did wrong vs. what I did right.

2011-04-16 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3450679

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
jfought - 2011-04-16 9:56 PM

If you find a saddle that is kind to the "girlie parts", please share.  I keep trying different adjustments to mine (the saddle that is, LOL) and things still aren't happy! 

Adamo road saddle - LOVE it. read a lot of reviews, then settled on that one, & it was awesome.

2011-04-16 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

Well first of CONGRATULATIONS on everyone's race sounds like everyone did great.

Today My youngest son  who is 13 told me and my wife he wants to do a Junior Tri, so does anyone have a good training plan for this age group?

He will be swimming everyday for the swim team in the summers so at lunch or after work he will run or ride. I just don't want to put to many miles on him at this age so I wont break him down physically.

2011-04-16 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
jfought - 2011-04-16 6:56 PM

Never have issues with girl bits, just sitbones (mine is wider than most women I think). 

However, have you tried Terry Butterfly? The cut out is nice, and doesn't hurt the girl bits. 

2011-04-16 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3450728

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
CyborgQueen - 2011-04-16 9:45 PM
jfought - 2011-04-16 6:56 PM

Never have issues with girl bits, just sitbones (mine is wider than most women I think). 

However, have you tried Terry Butterfly? The cut out is nice, and doesn't hurt the girl bits. 

I'm definitely going to ask to try this one out.  I've heard good things about it!  My sit bones hurt, too, but that I can get over.  I can't get over my girl parts hurting!  It makes me miserable.

I have a Bontrager inForm R WSD saddle now, and it felt great when I got it a year ago.  Now, not so much.  I think most of my ride is just spent trying to adjust my butt so I feel semi-comfortable!

2011-04-16 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
jfought - 2011-04-16 8:56 PM

Saddles are so individual.  My recommendation is to take your bike in and have a fitter put on several to test.  Then take one home and ride it for a while.  I had a Terry Butterfly on my road bike and LOVED it.  Once I went aero, hated it.  I ride an SMP now.  It was the last saddle I tried because it seemed like it was built more for a guy, but it works great.Bruc

Bruce: There are tons of resources out there on proper pedal stroke.  This is one I read a while back.  If you have access to a CT you can also jump on spinscan and see where your pedal stroke might be falling apart.   Doug or Tony might have some better ideas for you too.

Erica: Your scaring me.  I think you need to get in and get that fit looked at asap.   Riding on a bad leg is not going to serve you well now that we're entering the season.  I say all of this as a friend, not to harp on you.

2011-04-16 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3450744

User image

Master

Bopping in quickly here -- congratulations to the racers. Awesome jobs to all!! Envious of you being out there and racing!! WOOT!!

Erica: When I was having knee pain on my bike I was in repeatedly for fit tweaks (working with a PT who specializes in cycling and fitting -- he is not overly technical or into all of the measurements, but he is really good, IMO). Anyway, the final thing we tweaked was my crank length. The stock cranks on my tri bike were something like like 2 or 3mm shorter than on my road bike, which was enough to cause my knee pain over time. There are so many varables to tweak (I also have a wedge in the left side). Definitely get in for that fit, and if ANYTHING hurts or isn't comfortable, get back in to tweak it.

Saddles: As Suzy said, it's totally personal preference. I rode the stock Bontrager on my road bike for about 3 years until it was shot. I have a Cobb V-Flow on my tri bike and a Fizik Vesta on my road bike. With the right saddle I can ride 8 hours in tri shorts (not bike shorts!), and several hours in just regular shorts (no padding). I don't use chamois butter except for with a pair of tights that have padding that doesn't agree with me. When you have the right saddle, it's such a non-issue. But if you don't have the right one, riding is pure torture.

Happy Sunday to all!!!

2011-04-17 5:05 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Interesting article about pedalling, thanks Suzy.

I met up with a group at Noosa this afternoon for an ocean swim, really good turnout from a few locals adult swim squads, I think 26 people came.

We swam with 2 instructors who gave ocean swimming tips as we went along, swam around 2.2km.

Talking about painful girly bits and saddles: I can't say I know much about painful girly bit problems but a couple of months ago I got up at 5am for a 55km bike ride and after 20km felt very sore in the "saddle region", I couldn't stand it for much longer so pulled over and found I'd put my bib-shorts on back to front when I got dressed in the dark!!!Yell

I had to sneak round the back of a shop and strip naked to get my bib-shorts back on the right way....!

Not and experience to be repeatedEmbarassed

2011-04-17 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Great races everyone!  So impressed by you guys battling the elements and totally "winning".

Been meaning to tell you guys, few weeks ago I went to the Multisport Conference up here.  Karen Smyers was giving a talk (for a fee) but it didn't fill up so they were asking women if they wanted to attend for free.  I jumped at the chance.  She is awesome.  Got a ton of tips from her and found out she lives in my town! Anyway, what got me thinking about this is we talked a lot about saddles.  She also said tis highly individual but also mentioned that most of the women she knows rides either the Terry saddle (butterfly?) or Adamo has a saddle where the front end is cut off.  Apparently the cut off does take some getting used to but once done it results in huge comfort benefits.

When I had my bike fit, the saddle was the biggest issue. Of course now that the hubs is laid off buying a tri bike is on hold. :sigh:  And then the small issue of us finally finding a house.  Got an accepted offer on Fri am. Inspection is today. Incredibly stoked to be a home owner again but sad the tri bike purchase has been pushed back.

2011-04-17 7:38 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hi Gang!Congrats to Tony, Suzy and Rachel on your races! Sorry this is going to be one big run on, I am stealing Kathy's I pad and it runs safari...Anyhow, the vibe here is so amazing! Everything revolves around runners and this storied race! The expo was fantastic and I don't know how, but we missed one whole exhibit hall yesterday! I honestly didn't know what to expect, but truly, it is very COOL. It was super freezing and windy when we got in yesterday, even the locals were complaining about it...which gave them a break from complaining about the Red Sox! I did not flaunt my SF giants gear (too much), but got lots of stares at my Bright orange Viz Pro shoes. Or maybe it was the jet lagged bags under my eyes! It rained last night but warmed up a little bit, short sleeves on my little jog this morning. Lots of speedy runners out this morning! Signing out for now, the next time you hear from me, hopefully I will be a Boston Marathon Finisher!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298