BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-02 9:09 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

I have two happy successes to report Manatees.  First, I FINALLY got my tri bike outside for the first time.  No issues, my quads were fatigued, but that may be due to my long run yesterday.  The only issue I had was with shoes/pedals.  I am used to unclipping and putting my shoes on top of the pedals when I get ready to stop.  I can't do that with these--they are too slippery on the soles.  So I end up stopping and kind of 'jumping' off my saddle and since the shoes are slippery, I slip on the pavement...any help?  The other, more successful thing: I adjusted my own derailleurs.  Woot!  The back one was not too bad, some minor adjustment.  But the front derailleur would not allow me to shift into the big chainring.  There was a lot of back and forth between front and back to get it all sussed, but I DID IT!  I am excited if you couldn't tell.  Now I can change tires AND adjust derailleurs

2014-05-03 7:09 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

That includes me, guess. Under the weather. Except it's fine and I'm not!

Yanti dear, your plate is way too full and it really sucks that there's not a dang thing you can do about it.  Sending you lots of healing thoughts and wishes for strength to help you through these awful dark days.  You're a strong Iron-Woman, even if you're not feeling like it right now, and you've made it through tough times before.  Remember that this too shall pass and that you've got lots of loving friends rooting for you((((great big hugs!!))))

And a husband!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry you're going through so much. I love knowing that you've also got Kingley to lean on.

I have always been, and now are, surrounded with angels. This group: case in point!

Kingsley is a rock star. I would have found it hard to believe humans like him existed had I not known so many of them before. We'll see what it's like after the honeymoon period is over, but Dub6 challenged me to outlast his and Ann's (27 years? That right) and I am never one to back down on a dare!

After the honeymoon period is over you get comfortable with each other. And you love each other more every day, because of that comfort, not in spite of it.

Yanti, I can only hope and pray that you find peace in all that you are challenged with right now. And I'm glad to know you are in on the long marriage challenge. TJ is right, the comfort adds to the love.

2014-05-03 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Another big day in preparation for my upcoming race. Last night was a 2.4 mile open water strait swim without a wetsuit. It is very unlikely that we will be able to wear wetsuits on race day so I needed to get a good swim in without one. Water temp was 65 degrees which I know is bath water for you northerners but for me it was pretty cold. I never did get comfortable and wanted to stop but I toughed it out and got through it. Glad it's done!
2014-05-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JJ- Another big day in preparation for my upcoming race. Last night was a 2.4 mile open water strait swim without a wetsuit. It is very unlikely that we will be able to wear wetsuits on race day so I needed to get a good swim in without one. Water temp was 65 degrees which I know is bath water for you northerners but for me it was pretty cold. I never did get comfortable and wanted to stop but I toughed it out and got through it. Glad it's done!

2.4 mile OWS no wetsuit in 65 degree water?  DAYUMMMM that would leave me cold for days!

2014-05-03 8:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by bcraht

I have two happy successes to report Manatees.  First, I FINALLY got my tri bike outside for the first time.  No issues, my quads were fatigued, but that may be due to my long run yesterday.  The only issue I had was with shoes/pedals.  I am used to unclipping and putting my shoes on top of the pedals when I get ready to stop.  I can't do that with these--they are too slippery on the soles.  So I end up stopping and kind of 'jumping' off my saddle and since the shoes are slippery, I slip on the pavement...any help?  The other, more successful thing: I adjusted my own derailleurs.  Woot!  The back one was not too bad, some minor adjustment.  But the front derailleur would not allow me to shift into the big chainring.  There was a lot of back and forth between front and back to get it all sussed, but I DID IT!  I am excited if you couldn't tell.  Now I can change tires AND adjust derailleurs

EEEYAHOOO you wrencha, you!

2014-05-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by JJ- Another big day in preparation for my upcoming race. Last night was a 2.4 mile open water strait swim without a wetsuit. It is very unlikely that we will be able to wear wetsuits on race day so I needed to get a good swim in without one. Water temp was 65 degrees which I know is bath water for you northerners but for me it was pretty cold. I never did get comfortable and wanted to stop but I toughed it out and got through it. Glad it's done!

2.4 mile OWS no wetsuit in 65 degree water?  DAYUMMMM that would leave me cold for days!

That's a lot warmer than we have now as even the air temp isn't quite getting there yet, but that is still well within wetsuit temps!

2014-05-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Kate - Phooey about not being able to do do the races.  It's so frustrating when not enough $$ = not able to do the fun stuff.    Any job possibilities in the works?

Kirsten - Yay!!  Feels so great to be able to fix one's own gear, doesn't it?  I'm going to the monthly clinics at my LBS to learn some basic maintenance.  I used to repair musical instruments so I'm not afraid to get in and muck around with things but having a little training goes a long way.  Last week, I discovered that the one time I fixed a flat, I made nearly every mistake possible.  Hopefully it won't take me 2.5 hours next time now that I know all the stuff NOT to do!

Jonathan in TX - Yeesh.  a 65* 2.4 mi. OWS swim without a wetsuit sounds utterly wretched.  Great job sticking it out.  Between your physical conditioning and mental steeliness, you've got this race in the bag.  I'm so excited for you.  Good luck staying sane this week while you taper!!

Yanti - Hoping your sweet Raider-kitty is recuperating.  No matter what happens, you've done your part to give him love and a peaceful place to either heal or go.

Hugs and good weekend wishes to everybody!!

2014-05-03 10:10 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

For right now, nothing new on the job front--the next two months will really have a point for my decisions--if they move my former co-lead back into his old position alongside me, then I will happily look dang-near ANYWHERE for another position. If they keep it with me as the only lead (or hire another keeper who is into herps) in reptiles, then I am satisfied to stay put for the foreseeable future (unless there is an awesome opportunity at a state-of-the-art reptile facility that pays great...). I have been chatting with the zoo's director, and she has already given the green light to one of my new grandiose plans--bringing in Galopagos Tortoises! Now if I get her to agree to my reptile house renovation ideas, and bringing in Dwarf Crocs and a Rock or Reticulated Python (we need a gigantic snake at this zoo)-- then I will definitely have to see things through....if I can't get an awesome zoo to hire me, I guess I'll just have to make my current zoo awesome instead! 

And on another note, I am now officially registered to do Bay to Breakers in San Francisco on the 18th....it should be fun...and silly...very silly. At least that's what I've heard...

2014-05-04 2:31 AM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Melon Presser

I've been thinking a lot about Salty's Boston run this year and how she ran her day--not her expectation--in order to still have a great race.

I want to start training the truth, not "the plan" ... it's a much happier and fruitful place.

(002.PlanReality.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
002.PlanReality.jpg (65KB - 1 downloads)
2014-05-04 2:57 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Built a new sandpit for the puppies today.
I think it's safe to say that it's a hit
It looks small in the photo but it is over 6' long.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (3008KB - 2 downloads)
2014-05-04 3:21 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Built a new sandpit for the puppies today. I think it's safe to say that it's a hit It looks small in the photo but it is over 6' long.

PUPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!

2014-05-04 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

I've been thinking a lot about Salty's Boston run this year and how she ran her day--not her expectation--in order to still have a great race.

I want to start training the truth, not "the plan" ... it's a much happier and fruitful place.

I LOVE THIS
2014-05-04 9:48 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Second in my AG today at the super sprint.  No splits, my husband was too busy taking pictures.  Had about a 6 minute improvement on the course from last year!

2014-05-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKBuilt a new sandpit for the puppies today.I think it's safe to say that it's a hit It looks small in the photo but it is over 6' long.
They are sooooo cute! Besides just being fun, is there a purpose for a sand pit?
2014-05-04 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Second in my AG today at the super sprint.  No splits, my husband was too busy taking pictures.  Had about a 6 minute improvement on the course from last year!

Woo Hoo!!! Congratulations!
2014-05-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Going to try & load up a pic  Well heck, it loaded sideways.  I think that's how my husband took it!

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-05-04 12:36 PM

(IMG_0247.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0247.JPG (1581KB - 3 downloads)

2014-05-04 5:25 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yay, Judi!!  Super job!!

Yanti, love that graphic.  Also really like the idea of training to the day not to the plan.  Sometimes the plan becomes an arbitrary goal that the body just isn't up to.  I catch myself saying I'm just going to do "this much" (especially in the garden) and have to admit that it's time to stop at 2/3 of the way to "this much".  Instead of thinking I'm a failure for not doing what I "should" do, I have to stop and give myself credit for what I did do.  So hard sometimes but so necessary for both mental and physical health!

Kate, good luck with your neat herpetic dreams.  You've got some awesome ideas and if your zoo doesn't think you're a rock star, they're totally missing out.  Cool that you're going to do Bay to Breakers; I've heard lots of fun things about that race.

Stacey, how big are those puppies?!  That sand pit looks tiny with all, what, 6 of them in there?  Love the sand on their tails and sweet mugs.  They're obviously enjoying the heck out it!  It's such a bittersweet time, seeing them grow and get more independent, giving you more time to yourself, but knowing they'll be leaving soon.  Sad and a relief, all at the same time.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-04 5:30 PM
2014-05-04 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Going to try & load up a pic  Well heck, it loaded sideways.  I think that's how my husband took it!

Well done Judi
(The picture is up the right way for me)

Yanti I love your graphic it summarises my life in every area really. Especially at the moment.

Janyne the sandpit has about 3 purposes - to stop them digging under the fence in that area, to stop them digging holes in the lawn, and to try to teach them that digging is ok if you do it in the right place. Let's face it dogs are meant to dig.

2 weeks until they leave now and I know this will sound harsh but I am looking forward to them going. It's time for them to go to their forever homes where they are the centre of attention and they get one on one time with their new families. I don't actually get sad when they go, we stay in touch with our puppy families so we get fairly regular photos and updates which is great. I am also over all of the cleaning up after them and I really want to be able to spend some time sorting Phil's health out and doing some SBR and having some time to myself. To be honest it feels like all I do at the moment is clean, organise food for dogs, or puppies, or people, prepare food, clean up the mess from making food and then start all over again.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-05-04 6:47 PM
2014-05-05 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Very nice improvement! That's a lot over that distance
2014-05-05 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Great job racers!Well all this talk of puppies and rescues... Our local no kill shelter and a couple of the city shelters had a huge adoption event this weekend....Meet Sydney She's a four month old Australian Shepherd mix. Our animals all have city names so since she's "Australian" we clawed her Sydney. She's a cutie and she's acclimating to the house and the other critters

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1049KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-05 9:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcraht

Nice going Kirsten! Sure feels good when you can fix and adjust some things on the bike.

And for coming to a stop, do you have much confidence in your ability to unclip? That's something that has come up with people who stop like you do. They want their feet out as they're nervous about falling over still stuck in. They'll also feel a bit wobbly at lower speeds. When I come in, I'll have my right foot down low and put more weight on it. And when just about stopped I'll unclip the left foot and step out that way. When the slicker road shoes you have to be right at stopped or you'll slip out, as you've noticed. I used to catch myself a bit with mtb shoes, but had to stop doing that too with road shoes. And do note about putting weight onto the right foot. The amount of weight (or force) applied to the entire bike is still the same, but by transferring more of it to such a low point the bike becomes much more stable. With that you can control it more easily. Particularly helpful at the lower speeds.
Having the left foot down low and unclipping the right is just fine too. I just wrote the way I do it for simplicity.

2014-05-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunnerGreat job racers!Well all this talk of puppies and rescues... Our local no kill shelter and a couple of the city shelters had a huge adoption event this weekend....Meet Sydney She's a four month old Australian Shepherd mix. Our animals all have city names so since she's "Australian" we clawed her Sydney. She's a cutie and she's acclimating to the house and the other critters
Awwww.
2014-05-05 10:05 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOW relatively quiet on the manatee front - makes it easier to catch up

Judi - way to ROCK IT!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

Kate - it sounds like you have a really cool job - you know, with the reptiles, not necessarily the people :D

AND STACEY, MORE PUPPY PICS! OMG SO CUTE :D

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-05-05 10:07 AM
2014-05-05 10:24 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Love the graphic Yanti!

PUPPIES!

Congratulations Judi!

Welcome Sydney!

2014-05-05 10:33 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Four days without checking in on the manatees and we have aced tests, new puppies, growing puppies with a sandbox, cold, long open-water swims, zoo news, podiums, great advice and a Yanti who needs much love and hugs.  Congrats to those who did great things and hang in there to those who are struggling with health, life, or other hurdles life throws our way.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64690 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28166 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100361 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.