BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Welp, first night back on the track last night. It has felt like an eternity since my marathon but in reality it has only been a month. I felt a heck of a lot better than I thought I would but I am definitely going to ease in a little. I made a deal with myself that I would spend Jan doing fun stuff. Racing casually and enjoying winter activities. So, even next weeks trail race will be through the "fun" lens. 

Our team's "intro" workout last night was 3 x 2 miles a little (or a lot) slower than HM pace. Or as my coach calls it, "casual winter half marathon pace" lol. 

He only had me do 2 reps since I haven't done any kind of real quality in 4 weeks. 

In other fun news, I have been doing a little more of the logistics planning for the PCT run at the end of the summer. How beautiful is this going to be:

A really cool thing is that above pictured is Glacier Peak is the 5th tallest in the state but it's quite remote so it's not summited as regularly as the others are. So it's going to be really great to be so up close and personal with it. Not gonna lie, was briefly entertaining a mid run summit but 105 miles running is probably enough. 

I cannot wait for you to start this adventure, heck, ALL your adventures coming up this year! That looks awesome!

2015-01-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

Welp, first night back on the track last night. It has felt like an eternity since my marathon but in reality it has only been a month. I felt a heck of a lot better than I thought I would but I am definitely going to ease in a little. I made a deal with myself that I would spend Jan doing fun stuff. Racing casually and enjoying winter activities. So, even next weeks trail race will be through the "fun" lens. 

Our team's "intro" workout last night was 3 x 2 miles a little (or a lot) slower than HM pace. Or as my coach calls it, "casual winter half marathon pace" lol. 

He only had me do 2 reps since I haven't done any kind of real quality in 4 weeks. 

In other fun news, I have been doing a little more of the logistics planning for the PCT run at the end of the summer. How beautiful is this going to be:

A really cool thing is that above pictured is Glacier Peak is the 5th tallest in the state but it's quite remote so it's not summited as regularly as the others are. So it's going to be really great to be so up close and personal with it. Not gonna lie, was briefly entertaining a mid run summit but 105 miles running is probably enough. 

Salty, I love that you're focusing on "fun" this month.  Your PCT run looks amazing.  How long would it take you to do that summit?  Seems like it would be a perfect mid-run "break."

Well, keep in mind the run is going to be 105 miles and 25K elevation gain. So, while I would love to, the summit is not quite feasible. There is also glacial travel so we would need ice axes and likely crampons. Running with those things, and other necessary mountaineering grea wouldn't work. It's likely a 12+ hour ascent/descent 

But yes, at some point I will go for it. 

2015-01-08 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
I'm hanging with Dad at his first chemo treatment, thanks, manatees for offering quality entertainment as usual!Thanks for starting the manatee TR group, fun! I did my 20 minute TT for coach today, for a total workout of 70 minutes, right, Erin ? Later I will go against desires and run inside on my friend's treadmill. There is a wind chill advisory, we had wind chills of -10 last night. Later still, I have hockey practice, a very busy day indeed!Good news, Dad and I will be getting outta here sooner than expected! Sorry for the formatting, I'm on my tablet.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-08 12:10 PM
2015-01-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55 I'm hanging with Dad at his first chemo treatment, thanks, manatees for offering quality entertainment as usual!Thanks for starting the manatee TR group, fun! I did my 20 minute TT for coach today, for a total workout of 70 minutes, right, Erin ? Later I will go against desires and run inside on my friend's treadmill. There is a wind chill advisory, we had wind chills of -10 last night. Later still, I have hockey practice, a very busy day indeed!Good news, Dad and I will be getting outta here sooner than expected! Sorry for the formatting, I'm on my tablet.

Wow, you're a busy girl!

Glad you could be with your dad for his first treatment. You'll be able to guide the others through what to expect and I'm sure it's a comfort for Dad.

2015-01-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by melbo55 I'm hanging with Dad at his first chemo treatment, thanks, manatees for offering quality entertainment as usual!Thanks for starting the manatee TR group, fun! I did my 20 minute TT for coach today, for a total workout of 70 minutes, right, Erin ? Later I will go against desires and run inside on my friend's treadmill. There is a wind chill advisory, we had wind chills of -10 last night. Later still, I have hockey practice, a very busy day indeed!Good news, Dad and I will be getting outta here sooner than expected! Sorry for the formatting, I'm on my tablet.

Wow, you're a busy girl!

Glad you could be with your dad for his first treatment. You'll be able to guide the others through what to expect and I'm sure it's a comfort for Dad.

x2

Glad he's getting out early! Overachiever  

2015-01-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Because we don't have enough groups to log in to and check, I give you..... http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/2477-manatees-of-mayhemFor the TR Manatees among us.

Just requested in.  I'm MattCycles.

I thought you were Honeybadger?  So confusing

Ha!  I'm a cycling Honeybadger that's sometimes called Matt!

Geeze do I have to break it down for everyone?!

<like>

2015-01-08 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow, you're a busy girl!

x2

It's so important for family to just be there with them.  Happy for him (and you) that you're able to!

Matt

2015-01-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

In response to the TR posts, can someone break it down for me? 

<and a response here of, "Let me Google Trainer Road for you" would not be inappropro, but I'm curious about how you all use it>

Thanks.

Matt

2015-01-08 1:18 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks.

Matt

lol same. And then my follow up questions would be:

A. Can this be done on a beach cruiser or whilst casually riding to happy hour or will that drag the team down?

2015-01-08 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Thanks.

Matt

A. Can this be done on a beach cruiser or whilst casually riding to happy hour or will that drag the team down?

Trainerroad is a program that takes feedback from ANT+ Sensors (speed, cadence, power, etc) and gives a head up to display showing feedback as you progress through a workout.  There are all kinds of workouts that are based on your FTP, so your targets for each interval of a given workout change as your FTP does.  
For example here's a readout from my last TR ride:
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1442496-Sufferfest-Fight-Club

The whole interface is very well done, but the added draw is for those without powermeters you can get a virtual power number based on a curve programmed by the TR staff.  Most trainers are supported.  This gives people who have never ridden with power an awesome introduction on what riding with power is like.  This was a huge plus for me.

2015-01-08 1:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks.

Matt

Trainerroad is a program that takes feedback from ANT+ Sensors (speed, cadence, power, etc) and gives a head up to display showing feedback as you progress through a workout.  There are all kinds of workouts that are based on your FTP, so your targets for each interval of a given workout change as your FTP does.  
For example here's a readout from my last TR ride:
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1442496-Sufferfest-Fight-Club

The whole interface is very well done, but the added draw is for those without powermeters you can get a virtual power number based on a curve programmed by the TR staff.  Most trainers are supported.  This gives people who have never ridden with power an awesome introduction on what riding with power is like.  This was a huge plus for me.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't believe I qualify

That data you posted is really interesting, though. And that is coming from a non-data person. 

2015-01-08 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

It changed the way I ride indoors completely and for the better.  I would put TR up there with learning about VDOT in things that improved my performance.

2015-01-08 2:23 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Hope all the Manatees are keeping warm today (except Stacey who we know is roasting)!  It was in the 30*s in Orlando this morning and with wind chill upper 20*s.  It took me forever to get bundled up for my run!  

Must be Disney marathon weekend!

Stacey sent Phil to Indianapolis so that he can get a taste of winter on her behalf. ;-)

blahblahblah bundled up blahblah.  High today in the 20s.  Not exactly our average high temperature of 51.  Heck, our high temperature today is lower than our normal low temperature for January (30).

2015-01-08 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hope all the Manatees are keeping warm today (except Stacey who we know is roasting)!  It was in the 30*s in Orlando this morning and with wind chill upper 20*s.  It took me forever to get bundled up for my run!  

We're having yo-yo weather here.  It was in the 20's yesterday, 54* now but getting colder all day, teens tonight just in time for another test run, 30's tomorrow, 50's on Sat. 

I was under the impression that yo-yo weather was kinda normal for the Front Range?

2015-01-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

We're having yo-yo weather here.  It was in the 20's yesterday, 54* now but getting colder all day, teens tonight just in time for another test run, 30's tomorrow, 50's on Sat. 

I was under the impression that yo-yo weather was kinda normal for the Front Range?

Yeah, but not usually this much from day to day.  Typically, it fluctuates more in 3-4 day stretches than like this.

2015-01-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Melanie, glad to hear your Dad is getting through the first session ok.  I have no idea what your experience is with all of this but time in between sessions is the real work.  Again, I don't know what drugs he is taking or other factors but comfort and support between the sessions is critical in getting through this.  There are some great anti-nausea drugs so hopefully he wouldn't have any issues there.  Red and white blood cell counts can be affected causing fatigue (red cells) and lower immunity (white cells).  Wishing him the best and if you have any questions let me know.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty well versed in this stuff. 

2015-01-08 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

It changed the way I ride indoors completely and for the better.  I would put TR up there with learning about VDOT in things that improved my performance.

I was going to say something similar.
TR is like having a coach on each indoor training session with you. Telling you how much effort to put in, for how long and, on occasions, why.
Instead of blindly doing workouts on a trainer you can follow a progressive plan that targets zones specific to your fitness level. Kind of like Daniels VDot pace tables are specific to a particular athletes fitness level.
Some of the workouts also prompt you to carry out drills (pick ups, low/high cadence, ILTs etc).
TR on its own is worth its yearly membership (seriously, for a sport where the majority of athletes would not bat an eyelid at paying xxxx dollars for a bike/set of wheels, it surprises me more people don't use it) but coupled with sufferfest videos, it can be a real pain fest' with no escape.

I've said it before, TR is probably the best value for money I've spent so far in the past 26 months since starting this. BUT, it's only good value if you use it
2015-01-08 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wow, you're a busy girl!

x2

It's so important for family to just be there with them.  Happy for him (and you) that you're able to!

Matt

x eleventy billion!  

2015-01-08 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Yeah, but not usually this much from day to day.  Typically, it fluctuates more in 3-4 day stretches than like this.

The Cyclocross Nationals are being held in Austin this weekend and there was a bit of a hullabaloo that it wouldn't be "tough enough" weather-wise for some of those used to competing in cooler climes... it will be sleeting/freezing rain with highs of 35 here this weekend, do you think that will do? 

I WAS going to go and spectate, but might wait until Sunday afternoon for the pro/elite waves.   

2015-01-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Wow, you're a busy girl!

x2

Matt

x eleventy billion!  

x2 x eleventy billion!!

2015-01-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Stacey sent Phil to Indianapolis so that he can get a taste of winter on her behalf. ;-)

blahblahblah bundled up blahblah.  High today in the 20s.  Not exactly our average high temperature of 51.  Heck, our high temperature today is lower than our normal low temperature for January (30).

It is Disney marathon weekend.  Started today with the 5k in feels like the 20s weather, the 10 k Friday will be in the 40s, HM Saturday upper 40's to start/60's at the end and the marathon Sunday 50s into the 70s.  I know the marathon people wish the pattern was reversed!  I also know a number of people doing all 4 races (the Dopey challenge).  I think they are all nuts!!

2015-01-08 2:56 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I was going to say something similar. TR is like having a coach on each indoor training session with you. Telling you how much effort to put in, for how long and, on occasions, why. Instead of blindly doing workouts on a trainer you can follow a progressive plan that targets zones specific to your fitness level. Kind of like Daniels VDot pace tables are specific to a particular athletes fitness level. Some of the workouts also prompt you to carry out drills (pick ups, low/high cadence, ILTs etc). TR on its own is worth its yearly membership (seriously, for a sport where the majority of athletes would not bat an eyelid at paying xxxx dollars for a bike/set of wheels, it surprises me more people don't use it) but coupled with sufferfest videos, it can be a real pain fest' with no escape. I've said it before, TR is probably the best value for money I've spent so far in the past 26 months since starting this. BUT, it's only good value if you use it

It helps so much to have the power number I'm trying to hit on the screen in front of me.  It makes it easier to focus, and an hour (or whatever) goes by fairly quickly.

It turns any trainer into a power meter (essentially).  Not as precise a number, but as consistent, which is basically as important.

2015-01-08 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It is Disney marathon weekend.  Started today with the 5k in feels like the 20s weather, the 10 k Friday will be in the 40s, HM Saturday upper 40's to start/60's at the end and the marathon Sunday 50s into the 70s.  I know the marathon people wish the pattern was reversed!  I also know a number of people doing all 4 races (the Dopey challenge).  I think they are all nuts!!

I know it is.  I still remember the snow/sleet event of 2010. It was all and I was expecting -- not ice on the roads at the water stations!

2015-01-08 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The Dopey is on my  bucket list.... I guess we'll see if I still feel that way after my first marathon in May

2015-01-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

The Dopey is on my  bucket list.... I guess we'll see if I still feel that way after my first marathon in May

The Dopey is on our bucket list too - as we've agreed that 2016 is a no IM distance year, it might just be in the cards... 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55399 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.