BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Errr...Flying to New Zealand? The result may be fun, but I wouldn't describe a 13+ hour flight on an American carrier in Economy as "fun"!

Which carrier? I used to hate United, but it seems they improved in the recent couple of years. I have to admit my last trip to Poland (10 hours) was one of the best (most comfortable) of all I've had.
Safe travels!

2019-02-08 2:22 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
United....Recent years it has been *okay* but I've had some horrible flights with them in the past. My main complaint is there's not enough food, and it's yucky food. Plus they don't tend to serve liquids often enough; I have to bring my own and I run out. That matters more on a really long flight. Really pretty much any other country's carrier I've flown feeds the passengers more, and better food. When I worked in Vietnam, I tried to fly ANA (Japanese carrier) whenever possible for the "World's Longest Commute". Great Japanese and Western food, and they always have snacks and drinks available in the kitchen.
2019-02-08 2:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

United....Recent years it has been *okay* but I've had some horrible flights with them in the past. My main complaint is there's not enough food, and it's yucky food. Plus they don't tend to serve liquids often enough; I have to bring my own and I run out. That matters more on a really long flight. Really pretty much any other country's carrier I've flown feeds the passengers more, and better food. When I worked in Vietnam, I tried to fly ANA (Japanese carrier) whenever possible for the "World's Longest Commute". Great Japanese and Western food, and they always have snacks and drinks available in the kitchen.

Ahhhh, yeah, I can see how that part sucks :/
I also hate the fact that they won't allow to bring your own water, so you have to buy it at the airport, for $5 per one tiny bottle!
2019-02-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 9-10
Jim - Tour de Sufferlandia (Feb 2-10)
Ann-Marie - Tour de Sufferlandia (Feb 2-10)
Ann-Marie - Cherrylake Farms 10k on Saturday
Stacey - Snakes and Ladders 15k  (rescheduled) on Sunday
Chris - Sasquatch 5k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Ann-Marie, we are thinking of your brother and your family.

Thanks for all the good thoughts !

My race will be more of a just get it done thing then an actual race, but it will be an interesting one with hills, clay roads, running through the tree farm, grass and sand running!

Good luck Stacey and Chris! Keep crushing it Jim!

2019-02-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

February 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks for all the good thoughts !

My race will be more of a just get it done thing then an actual race, but it will be an interesting one with hills, clay roads, running through the tree farm, grass and sand running!

Good luck Stacey and Chris! Keep crushing it Jim!

Run races/events are awesome! Enjoy it!

2019-02-08 3:11 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Good luck racers!

Quick question for the pod.... if you have a long bike training session and you do it on the trainer instead of outside, do you shorten the ride at all? As there no coasting or resting on the trainer, I'm thinking that maybe X amount of time outside might be more like X - 10% or something on the trainer. (a quick google showed some people estimating more like 50% instead of 10%, though that seems kinda high).

Just wondering what others do - shorten or slug out the full time?

2019-02-08 3:29 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by awm007Good luck racers! Quick question for the pod.... if you have a long bike training session and you do it on the trainer instead of outside, do you shorten the ride at all? As there no coasting or resting on the trainer, I'm thinking that maybe X amount of time outside might be more like X - 10% or something on the trainer. (a quick google showed some people estimating more like 50% instead of 10%, though that seems kinda high).Just wondering what others do - shorten or slug out the full time?
huh. I never thought of that. I do most of my rides on the trainer and always do the prescribed amount. Though, as back of the pack as i am, that can only help i figure.
2019-02-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by awm007Good luck racers! Quick question for the pod.... if you have a long bike training session and you do it on the trainer instead of outside, do you shorten the ride at all? As there no coasting or resting on the trainer, I'm thinking that maybe X amount of time outside might be more like X - 10% or something on the trainer. (a quick google showed some people estimating more like 50% instead of 10%, though that seems kinda high).Just wondering what others do - shorten or slug out the full time?
huh. I never thought of that. I do most of my rides on the trainer and always do the prescribed amount. Though, as back of the pack as i am, that can only help i figure.
According to things I’ve seen in training peaks and other places, an hour on the trainer is worth 1:30-1:45 on the road. If I have to do a long ride on the trainer I often will shorten it, but usually not by that ratio .
2019-02-08 4:04 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

GOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Have fun, be fast!  Stacey and Chris are tie for best race names, IMO.  But isn't Sasquatch known as the Skunk Ape in FL?  Or do both cryptids reside there?  Inquiring minds (and tongue in cheek Bigfoot enthusiasts) want to know!

2019-02-08 6:36 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

February 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

GOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Have fun, be fast!  Stacey and Chris are tie for best race names, IMO.  But isn't Sasquatch known as the Skunk Ape in FL?  Or do both cryptids reside there?  Inquiring minds (and tongue in cheek Bigfoot enthusiasts) want to know!

The Skunk Ape has been known to show up at Piggies, which is in the same Reserve as the Sasquatch run. Unfortunately, I am probably a no go, since the PF flared up this evening when I went 40  steps towards TW on the trail. I'm currently icing it and researching other remedies.

2019-02-08 8:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Ahhhh, yeah, I can see how that part sucks :/
I also hate the fact that they won't allow to bring your own water, so you have to buy it at the airport, for $5 per one tiny bottle!

We almost always fly United and they do have pretty horrible food. I usually take an empty water bottle and fill it once I'm past security. We will also bring our own food. I either make sandwiches or we stop at WhichWich, which is a sub restaurant here.

2019-02-08 11:50 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Off to a great start! After sitting in the Boise airport for several hours (delayed flight) we got to SFO only to find that our flight out is delayed for almost three hours as well. Now 12:30 AM, which is 1:30 AM back in Boise. I usually am sound asleep by 9 or 10. No idea how I'm going to stay awake.
2019-02-08 11:53 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Bike training--most (almost all when I lived overseas, and now in the winter) of my bike training is on the trainer, so I just do the full time. Occasionally (in good weather) my coach will suggest one time for outdoor riding, and another (usually about 15-20 minutes shorter on a ride of 3-4 hours) if a ride is all indoors. So it wouldn't be 50% shorter. More like10%, if that.
2019-02-09 4:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Bike training--most (almost all when I lived overseas, and now in the winter) of my bike training is on the trainer, so I just do the full time. Occasionally (in good weather) my coach will suggest one time for outdoor riding, and another (usually about 15-20 minutes shorter on a ride of 3-4 hours) if a ride is all indoors. So it wouldn't be 50% shorter. More like10%, if that.

Found one of the article about trainer v bike time Here

2019-02-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

February 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

We found out at about 5pm last night that our race has been cancelled because the national park where it is held is closed due to the extreme fire danger. It's a very wise call for them to close the park because the forecast is for over 100 with really strong winds and in that area there is limited access and water so fires get away quickly.

This happened 3 weeks ago too but the organisers were given 3 days notice that the park was gonna be closed so they managed to re-arrange their race schedule. Unfortunately this week the forecast has been chopping and changing all week so they only found out yesterday at around 4:30.

Oh well better safe than sorry and a group that we're going to do Snakes has organised a run about 10mins from home at the start of the Bibbulmun Track so we are going to do that instead.

Chris I hope your foot is better.

Good luck Ann-Marie and Jim

Edited by StaceyK 2019-02-09 3:18 PM
2019-02-09 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh...sounds all very well and good unless you have no other options for training for much of the year. I'd love to limit indoor rides to two hours max, but that just isn't going to happen!

Beautiful sunny, warm weather here in Auckland. Unfortunately, every time I look at the Wanaka forecast it gets colder. Keep hoping they've got something wrong and I'll get something livable to race in by Saturday, but it's getting worse. Now the forecast low is 41 (F) and high of 51. Arrrrrgh! Today was supposed to be 70 there; all other days are forecast almost 10 degrees warmer.

2019-02-10 3:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh...sounds all very well and good unless you have no other options for training for much of the year. I'd love to limit indoor rides to two hours max, but that just isn't going to happen! Beautiful sunny, warm weather here in Auckland. Unfortunately, every time I look at the Wanaka forecast it gets colder. Keep hoping they've got something wrong and I'll get something livable to race in by Saturday, but it's getting worse. Now the forecast low is 41 (F) and high of 51. Arrrrrgh! Today was supposed to be 70 there; all other days are forecast almost 10 degrees warmer.

yikes, that is cold! Hopefully, their weather people are as inaccurate as ours!!

2019-02-10 4:56 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by awm007

Good luck racers!

Quick question for the pod.... if you have a long bike training session and you do it on the trainer instead of outside, do you shorten the ride at all? As there no coasting or resting on the trainer, I'm thinking that maybe X amount of time outside might be more like X - 10% or something on the trainer. (a quick google showed some people estimating more like 50% instead of 10%, though that seems kinda high).

I'll sometimes shorten a long trainer session, mostly out of sheer boredom. Usually though, I'll just take a 5 or 10 minute break several times. It's good to get off, stretch and walk around a bit.
2019-02-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by abake

Good luck racers!

I'll sometimes shorten a long trainer session, mostly out of sheer boredom. Usually though, I'll just take a 5 or 10 minute break several times. It's good to get off, stretch and walk around a bit.

Thanks to you all for your feedback about your trainer sessions. I thought a lot about it and what the training session is trying to accomplish should probably also be factored. I think if the goal is sheer training stress on the muscles, then shortening somewhat seems to make a lot of sense as the muscles get more work on the trainer given the same time as there is no coasting or downtime.

On the other hand, if the goal is to get the body used to being in the saddle for a long time, to get used to going long and working out the right nutrition, etc., then NOT shortening makes a lot of sense. Taking breaks instead is probably the way to go.

In the end, I just went until Guardians of the Galaxy 2 ended on Netflix and called it a day That ended up being about 2:20 instead of the prescribed 2:45.

Thanks again!

Edited by awm007 2019-02-10 9:11 AM
2019-02-10 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake
that sounds like good reasoning.I'll sometimes shorten a long trainer session, mostly out of sheer boredom. Usually though, I'll just take a 5 or 10 minute break several times. It's good to get off, stretch and walk around a bit.
Thanks to you all for your feedback about your trainer sessions. I thought a lot about it and what the training session is trying to accomplish should probably also be factored. I think if the goal is sheer training stress on the muscles, then shortening somewhat seems to make a lot of sense as the muscles get more work on the trainer given the same time as there is no coasting or downtime. On the other hand, if the goal is to get the body used to being in the saddle for a long time, to get used to going long and working out the right nutrition, etc., then NOT shortening makes a lot of sense. Taking breaks instead is probably the way to go. In the end, I just went until Guardians of the Galaxy 2 ended on Netflix and called it a day That ended up being about 2:20 instead of the prescribed 2:45. Thanks again!
2019-02-10 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Failed all of our Manatee Challenges this week.

I did more moving days and covered more distance than I have been, but 3 weeks of bad eating caught up with me on the scale this week

Luckily today is a new day where I get to start again.

A new saying that I have learned is "I am not called to be perfect, I am called to be unstoppable."

2019-02-11 12:42 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm no doing too well either on the core part. Just can't get motivated for core work in a hotel room. My back is sore from the plane trip and the floor is too hard. Going to check out the fitness room tomorrow--maybe they have a mat! We must have walked 9 or 10 miles today (in addition to a 4-mile run this morning) so at least I've got the activity part covered. (If anyone's familiar with Auckland, we walked from near the airport to One Tree Hill, and all the way to the top, then back down to Onehunga. Yikes!)
2019-02-11 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm no doing too well either on the core part. Just can't get motivated for core work in a hotel room. My back is sore from the plane trip and the floor is too hard. Going to check out the fitness room tomorrow--maybe they have a mat! We must have walked 9 or 10 miles today (in addition to a 4-mile run this morning) so at least I've got the activity part covered. (If anyone's familiar with Auckland, we walked from near the airport to One Tree Hill, and all the way to the top, then back down to Onehunga. Yikes!)

I'm glad that you made it there. Fingers cross for good weather on Saturday!

2019-02-12 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Looky, a new, one-day relay event!http://gloryhoundevents.com/glory-hound-events-announces-the-inaugural-land-and-sky-relay/
2019-02-12 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Looky, a new, one-day relay event!http://gloryhoundevents.com/glory-hound-events-announces-the-inaugural-land-and-sky-relay/

I saw that! One long day (if we averaged 12 minute miles, it would be almost 13 hours), but no overnight so that's good.

Plus - we need four Manatees + Driver

Minus - we need a van (or maybe two cars and two drivers?)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107