BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-02-26 5:50 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: weekly weight and plan
Happy 50th Janet!!!

I had to cut my bike short yesterday as my rear tire was flat. ON THE TRAINER!! Who gets a flat on the trainer?!

2014-02-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Welcome to a new age bracket Janet!! Hope you are feeling better and can celebrate soon!
2014-02-26 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Happy late birthday Janet.  50 is a great age!

Thought I'd give a plug for two of my favorite apps that are fitness related.  I use these quite regularly as part of my morning routines.

Nike Training Club:  Lots of good workouts lead by high level female athletes.  15 - 60 minutes.  Lots of variety.  

7 Minute Workout:  My favorite app for this workout is from Johnson & Johnson.  I think I just like the clean look.

2014-02-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by wsummerhill I had to cut my bike short yesterday as my rear tire was flat. ON THE TRAINER!! Who gets a flat on the trainer?!
v  Me....I actually had a tire BOW OUT on the trainer

2014-02-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by wsummerhill Happy 50th Janet!!! I had to cut my bike short yesterday as my rear tire was flat. ON THE TRAINER!! Who gets a flat on the trainer?!

Happened to me last fall.  I was just riding along and all of a sudden I hear a hissing sound.  Looked down and the tire was flat.  Changing it became a workout in itself - I had only practiced on front tires and this was my rear one.  Also didn't help that the new tube had a hole in it. 

I'm finally feeling back to normal.  I think I'm going to try for a short run tonight and see how it goes then decide about the 10k on Saturday.  Weather may decide for me though - it's supposed to get snowy again over the next couple of days.  I'm so ready for spring! 

Thanks for the birthday wishes! 

Edited by soccermom15 2014-02-27 9:46 AM
2014-02-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Originally posted by wsummerhill Happy 50th Janet!!! I had to cut my bike short yesterday as my rear tire was flat. ON THE TRAINER!! Who gets a flat on the trainer?!

Happened to me last fall.  I was just riding along and all of a sudden I hear a hissing sound.  Looked down and the tire was flat.  Changing it became a workout in itself - I had only practiced on front tires and this was my rear one.  Also didn't help that the new tube had a hole in it. 

I'm finally feeling back to normal.  I think I'm going to try for a short run tonight and see how it goes then decide about the 10k on Saturday.  Weather may decide for me though - it's supposed to get snowy again over the next couple of days.  I'm so ready for spring! 

Thanks for the birthday wishes! 

glad you are normal!

50 is a great decade, BTW.

2014-02-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Osymetric Chain Ring

Hey everyone -

Hope training is going well.

Has anyone had any experience with Osymetric chain rings?  (See picture below)  As you can see, they aren't round.  My cycling coach has repeatedly suggested I begin using this chain ring.  I know Chris Fromme won the Tour de France last year using them. I also know I haven't seen many people using them on group rides.  Seems to me if 'they were all that' everyone would be using them.

That said, it appears there may be some fairly significant benefits to using them.

From the Osymetric website -

The OSYMETRIC ring is not an oval nor an ellipse – it is a twin cam shaped to win. This patented design reduces the gear and the effort needed to get through what is commonly called the “dead spot” in everyone's pedal stroke. Then it increases the usable gear during the power portion of the pedal stroke between the 1 and 5 o’clock positions of the crank so your body can take full advantage of its natural strength. This powerful tool can reduce lactic acid by 10% and increases power by 10% for anyone that uses them.

Just curious if anyone has used them or has any opinion of them; good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks!

(osymetric_black3850.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
osymetric_black3850.jpg (63KB - 6 downloads)
2014-02-27 10:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Treadmill workout
Had a pretty good workout at my hotel this morning. It was a one hour treadmill effort, so I plugged in some intervals to make it interesting. I started with a 20 minute easy warm up before moving on to the intervals. It was basically a series of 8-6-4-2 minute interval at an increasing pace, each with a 3 minute recovery.

The easy 20 minute warm up was paced at about a minute/mile slower than my marathon pace. For me, my marathon pace is about 7:40/mile, so the warm up was at 8:40. After the warm up I started the 8 minute interval at marathon pace. This was followed with a three minute recovery at slower than marathon pace .

The next interval was 6 minutes and dropped below the marathon pace by 20 seconds per mile. So, my 7:40 marathon pace went to 7:20 for six mintues, followed by another 3 minute recovery.

The third interval (4 minutes) dropped an additional 20 seconds, so my pace here was 7:00. Three minute recovery.

The last interval was 2 minutes and another 20 seconds was dropped, so my last pace was 6:40, Then it was back to an easy pace to finish the hour.

Treadmill runs can be pretty boring...but with some challenging intervals the time goes by pretty fast. If you know your marathon pace, dial it in for the 8 minute interval and then just drop off 20 seconds/mile on the pace for each one.

Have fun.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-02-27 10:04 PM
2014-02-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am off tomorrow for a 12 day vacation (YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY). I will add up my points when I get back, including this week. I intend to do some good workouts, along with fun vacation stuff.

Have great races, training, and general all around fun.

2014-02-28 8:57 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Originally posted by ceilidh

I am off tomorrow for a 12 day vacation (YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY). I will add up my points when I get back, including this week. I intend to do some good workouts, along with fun vacation stuff.

Have a great vacation Robin. Hope you are heading somewhere warm and sunny!

2014-03-01 6:29 AM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by KOM

Have a great vacation Robin. Hope you are heading somewhere warm and sunny!

I am..Panama. Hanging out in the mountains for a bit and on an island for a bit,

2014-03-01 7:39 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Osymetric Chain Ring
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey everyone -

Hope training is going well.

Has anyone had any experience with Osymetric chain rings?  (See picture below

Hi Scott, I know this is not an Oval shape but it reminds me of a Biopace that I used to have on a Centurion back in the late 80's (jeesh I'm gettiing old). I used to like it but I think the consenses was that it was kind of a fad. There are a lot of good threads on the Centurion and Bio Pace by Shimano. Here is an interesting link and there may be some atributes that are similar

http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

2014-03-01 7:41 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Originally posted by KOM

I am off tomorrow for a 12 day vacation (YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY). II am..Panama. Hanging out in the mountains for a bit and on an island for a bit,

I hate you (just kidding). I just went for a run in 7 degrees.
2014-03-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: A Little Busy
Hi

Sorry Guys & Gals, just a little busy (work crap), I will try and update the grid today.

James
2014-03-01 3:56 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-03-02 7:22 AM
in reply to: Kris67

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: challenge update
I'm going to lose my job. Sorry for being late with the grid people just way too busy with work crap causing a lot of late nights.

Hampered my early morning workouts but I did fairly well.

Should be better this upcoming week. Here you go, better late than never.

Have a great Sunday workout everyone!!!

(GGG 2-23-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 2-23-2014.jpg (137KB - 3 downloads)

2014-03-02 8:10 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You got the table updated just in time for this weeks post 

Workout points = 19.25

no gain=                5

no weight changes

----------------------------------------

24.5 points

2014-03-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

So I went to a swim clinic yesterday....and there was very little positive said about my stroke.  Very discouraging.  I can do drills all freaking day long and those look decent, but when I swim the drills don't do a flipping thing to translate into the stroke.  Why bother?

2014-03-02 9:55 AM

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by QueenZipp

So I went to a swim clinic yesterday....and there was very little positive said about my stroke.  Very discouraging.  I can do drills all freaking day long and those look decent, but when I swim the drills don't do a flipping thing to translate into the stroke.  Why bother?

Judi--can you find a swim coach to work with you one on one? I did that for a while and it was very helpful in having someone right there to point out (over and over again) what I was doing wrong and how to make corrections....plus immediately putting me into the drills to help get the feel for it. By no means am I a fast swimmer, but at least I can come out of the water without being totally gassed.

Steve
2014-03-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by lutzman

Judi--can you find a swim coach to work with you one on one? I did that for a while and it was very helpful in having someone right there to point out (over and over again) what I was doing wrong and how to make corrections....plus immediately putting me into the drills to help get the feel for it. By no means am I a fast swimmer, but at least I can come out of the water without being totally gassed. Steve

I want to sign up with the Master's group that put on the swim clinic.  Just not sure the money is there.  I had private lessons a few years ago--and the things he did to correct my form are what was criticized yesterday.  I used to WAYYYYY over rotate.  He got me swimming flatter which took the wobble out as I made my way down the lane.  My recovery is symmetric but the elbow isn't high enough.  Still too short on the catch.....you name it the swim was torn apart.  However, the first drill station (kick people) were very positive then the second drill station (front quadrant drills) tore me a new one.

He suggested a tempo trainer for me--but I would have no clue how to set it to the proper tempo or what good it would really do if the mechanics are that bad how is a tempo trainer going to fix it?

2014-03-02 11:48 AM

Regular
Newport News
Have started adding cycling and some running to my weekly training. Almost 70 today snow tomorrow! Totals for this week;
1 lb weight loss - 10 points
575 minutes training - 19 points
Total 29 points

2014-03-02 12:00 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Expert
Falls Church

Weight = .5 lbs lost = 5 points

No weight gain = 5 points

568 minutes of training = 19 points

Total = 29 points

2014-03-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Expert
Falls Church

Good afternoon everyone.  We are waiting for yet another big snowstorm.  I know there are folks in the single digits still.  Boy what a winter it has been.  It's likely there will be no school or work tomorrow.  At least I did all my grocery shopping yesterday and didn't wait until today.  The biggest problem w/ snow for me is that it messes up my bike commute.  Bummer.

I had planned a swim for this afternoon but realized I didn't have a car.  So did a power walk session with 3 lb weights in each hand.  My arms feel pretty tired!

2014-03-02 12:06 PM

Expert
Falls Church

So maybe find someone to film you with a GoPro camera while you are swimming?  That might really reveal to you what needs fixed and how to fix it.  I find it hard to translate or visualize what I read about stroke mechanics into what I might need to do.  But when I watch a video that is pointing out a particular flaw for a filmed swimmer I see what the issue is.  

2014-03-02 12:40 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

This is PRECISELY why I am not a fan of drills.  Drills work on one aspect or piece of a stroke.   Unfortunately a proper swimming stroke, and especially freestyle, is not a single aspect or movement, it is a fluid movement through a range of motions all interdependent upon all the other things - to have a good catch you must have a good entry, to have proper extension you must have good body rotation, to have a proper pull you must have high elbows, and so on.

The absolute BEST thing you can do to improve is get with a coach a few times a month.  EXPERIENCED eyes on deck is more valuable than ANYTHING.  Meet with someone, have them give you input and corrections and work with your for an hour.  Take what he/she has given you and work on it for a week.  Then meet with your coach again and repeat.  It will take time to incorporate any changes and you need the constant input over time to make sure the changes 'stick.'  Also, as you make changes, other things will creep up and need attention.

If you can get someone to shoot some video, I will be more than happy to take a look and make some suggestions.  As long as you have been swimming, I suspect it is one or two 'little' things that are holding you back.  While I think I can help, what I may be able to offer is no replacement for eyes on deck.  If you can get in with a good masters team, that will be helpful provided the coach understands a) proper stroke technique, and b) that you are training for a triathlon so you don't necessarily need to train like 'swimmers' do.

Good luck!  I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18764 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.