in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by marcag I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is : a) You definitely don't need one to get faster b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a) Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.
I use to use the CT 3D courses and videos all the time. I just grew tired of those. Sure doesn't mean I didn't get my moneys worth. Their really is not any reason I can't use it the way I am. Matter of fact I enjoy the way I am using it. It is really not a wrong way to use it. I am not having a coach prescribe a work out as the case for a erg file. I wanted to try the way you use it sorry I cant figure that out.

I'm not sure I am using it "right" either     But I have certainly gotten results from doing it that way.  I don't think when I bought mine there were the options there are now for power on the trainer, the CT was it.

Just an example

If your CT was connected to a computer with GC

In 30 seconds, the 5' 60%, 8x4'at 110%.... that Shane gives you s programmed into a mrc file and you press go.
No more futzing with buttons during the ride. The exact load is applied at the exact time. No click click click to get to a high load on a 30s interval to click click click back once oompleted, 10x :-) No looking for the right gear/cadence. It's in autopilot
At the end three mouse clicks (exactly 3) and your workout is uploaded to TP
At any time during the ride if you are feeling good or bad, press one button and it raises the whole workout a notch (or brings it down)

PS: two more clicks and it's on Strava.

PPS : to point "use it properly" I should have said "use it to it's fullest"

Marc I'll try the GC to control the CT....

2015-02-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag I guess my opinion on the fancy trainers is : a) You definitely don't need one to get faster b) They do require an investment in time to learn how to use them properly c) There is absolute value in using them to the fullest of their capabilities d) If you are not willing to invest the time to optimize their use, don't waste your money buying one, because remember a) Many people don't have the time or interest in b. That's fine, but to buy a $1500 device to use it like a $400 device, is strange IMO.
I use to use the CT 3D courses and videos all the time. I just grew tired of those. Sure doesn't mean I didn't get my moneys worth. Their really is not any reason I can't use it the way I am. Matter of fact I enjoy the way I am using it. It is really not a wrong way to use it. I am not having a coach prescribe a work out as the case for a erg file. I wanted to try the way you use it sorry I cant figure that out.

I'm not sure I am using it "right" either     But I have certainly gotten results from doing it that way.  I don't think when I bought mine there were the options there are now for power on the trainer, the CT was it.

Just an example

If your CT was connected to a computer with GC

In 30 seconds, the 5' 60%, 8x4'at 110%.... that Shane gives you s programmed into a mrc file and you press go.
No more futzing with buttons during the ride. The exact load is applied at the exact time. No click click click to get to a high load on a 30s interval to click click click back once oompleted, 10x :-) No looking for the right gear/cadence. It's in autopilot
At the end three mouse clicks (exactly 3) and your workout is uploaded to TP
At any time during the ride if you are feeling good or bad, press one button and it raises the whole workout a notch (or brings it down)

PS: two more clicks and it's on Strava.

PPS : to point "use it properly" I should have said "use it to it's fullest"

Marc I'll try the GC to control the CT....

I knew I'd get you excited with the Strava capability :-)
2015-02-05 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Just an example If your CT was connected to a computer with GC In 30 seconds, the 5' 60%, 8x4'at 110%.... that Shane gives you s programmed into a mrc file and you press go. No more futzing with buttons during the ride. The exact load is applied at the exact time. No click click click to get to a high load on a 30s interval to click click click back once oompleted, 10x :-) No looking for the right gear/cadence. It's in autopilot At the end three mouse clicks (exactly 3) and your workout is uploaded to TP At any time during the ride if you are feeling good or bad, press one button and it raises the whole workout a notch (or brings it down) PS: two more clicks and it's on Strava. PPS : to point "use it properly" I should have said "use it to it's fullest"

Thanks Marc.  I do appreciate the response, and I may look into it, but not sure I see the need (I may be a bit of a Luddite).  I mean, those things are cool and very convenient, but they don't add anything from a training effectiveness point of view, at least IMO (which is what I thought I was missing).  Seems the only things I am missing is the automatic changing of power and upload to TP and strava......   I suppose the TP upload would give Shane something to look at, but don't really see how that differs, ultimately, from saying "i did it" in TP    Either I met the power goals or I didn't.    I'm not one to really sit and look at power files, I'm just glad the workout s over.

And I've gotten pretty good at the push push push     the 30/30 are a little more repetitive but I have very little of that in 99% of my workouts.  As for other changes, depending on how far I have to go I start at :55 (VO 2 max) or :57 (threshold) before the interval, start the interval at :00, complete the interval to :00, and go back down.  That's a pure convenience.  I also think I like the ability to adjust certain intervals rather than having to adjust the entire thing. I may want a harder interval but the same easier rest.

Just my .02.  I'm also set in my ways, and loading computer programs and me don't always play nice  

Question re no more looking for right gear/cadence.... Not sure what that means.   I leave the bike in 53/XX for the entire ride, and cadence depends on the load.....  Not sure how having the power change automatically affects this?  I still and up a XXX watts for 5:00, whether I push push push the buttons or not?

My more immediate problem is figuring out how to get my samsung tv to talk to bluetooth headphones....

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-05 4:22 PM
2015-02-05 4:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My more immediate problem is figuring out how to get my samsung tv to talk to bluetooth headphones....

with a gizmo like this ?

http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Wireless-Bluetooth-Audio-Transmitte...
2015-02-05 5:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM My more immediate problem is figuring out how to get my samsung tv to talk to bluetooth headphones....
with a gizmo like this ? http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Wireless-Bluetooth-Audio-Transmitte...

Yes, maybe... have to see if I have a 3.5mm jack....

But if not I assume this works....   gizmo 2

All that said above, I will download GC and give it a whirl....

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-05 5:15 PM
2015-02-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Maybe this is a dumb question, by why not just ride in non-erg mode (whatever that's called) and work on holding steady power based on what your PT is reading?  For those of us with "dumb" trainers, we just shift into harder gears for working intervals and easier gears for recovery intervals.

Seems that the CT and PT are not reading the same (not even really within an acceptable error), so until that's all worked out, rides should not be created for the CT erg mode and then analyzed with the PT output or it really doesn't make sense....not to mention, as Marc noted, the CT should force you to a given power regardless of cadence or anything else. 

Sometimes I'm grateful for my "dumb" trainer and single power meter

I was doing that. I was not not very accurate at the paceing thou. The power would real high then drop way low. Maybe I just need practice. I think the way I am running this erg file now I am pacing smoother. I really don't think it is wrong. Maybe it's not in the ture erg mode.

Why not use a 30s average on your screen if you have that much fluctuation?

The best part of only having one PM is that you have nothing to compare it too, thus its always right .  On a serious note, I have never had any noticeable issue with my Powertap G3 - always seems to be consistent from ride to ride.

I am using the 3s avg. Do you think the 30s avg. would be a better choice for a power newbie like me?

2015-02-06 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The best part of only having one PM is that you have nothing to compare it too, thus its always right .  On a serious note, I have never had any noticeable issue with my Powertap G3 - always seems to be consistent from ride to ride.

I am using the 3s avg. Do you think the 30s avg. would be a better choice for a power newbie like me?

I use both, and then lap average on top of it.

3s tells me what am I doing right now, 30s tells me what have I been doing for the last little bit (ie. am I trending too high or too low?) and then lap average tells me the average for the interval (specifically, am I too high or too low overall).

2015-02-06 10:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

Maybe this is a dumb question, by why not just ride in non-erg mode (whatever that's called) and work on holding steady power based on what your PT is reading?  For those of us with "dumb" trainers, we just shift into harder gears for working intervals and easier gears for recovery intervals.

Seems that the CT and PT are not reading the same (not even really within an acceptable error), so until that's all worked out, rides should not be created for the CT erg mode and then analyzed with the PT output or it really doesn't make sense....not to mention, as Marc noted, the CT should force you to a given power regardless of cadence or anything else. 

I was doing that. I was not not very accurate at the paceing thou. The power would real high then drop way low. Maybe I just need practice. I think the way I am running this erg file now I am pacing smoother. I really don't think it is wrong. Maybe it's not in the ture erg mode.

Can you put a few on the screen and see which one(s) you use most often? I use instant as 3s is still too far behind for me, but it drives most people nuts. Also have lap and overall ride up depending on which screen I'm looking at.

2015-02-06 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

James, are you thinking of moving away from Erg mode ?
2015-02-06 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Yes I use a old laptop with the RM software on it. So having it on my main computer with some newer software would be nice.

What's up?

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-02-06 12:20 PM
2015-02-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ben Arend thanks!

I just ordered another PT G3 for my Zipps...............

I still need another Head unit. I am leaning more on the Garmin 500 but the 510 and 810 are still in the mix. It's all about what I need ver what I want.

2015-02-06 1:16 PM

User image

BTW, I am constantly seeing Edge 500s on facebook bike sites like Stevebay and Online Swap Meets in the $150 range

2015-02-06 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
one of the reasons I love my CT is it helps me figure out abnormal behavior with other PMs.

First of all, CTs are very very very consistent. They may be reading lower or higher but they are consistent.

This week I upgraded the firmware in my Vectors (Garmin PM). I rode them on the CT and I noticed "wow, my power is awesome today, I am quite the stud". But I knew something was wrong, it was too high.

The Garmin software update had set the configuration of my pedals to be single sided so I was only reading the left side and multiplying my 2. Being left dominant this was skewing my results (quite considerably).

I later figured this out, corrected it and my Vectors are back in line with the CT.

There is a point in time where our PMs are not making sense....Jason, Arend, James, Fred.....all within the last few weeks. But knowing you have an extremely consistent reference in a CT is really convenient. Especially as you change PMs because they do not always read the same.

This is another reason to know what the relationship between your CT and PM is. So when things are strange you can confirm it.
2015-02-06 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ben Arend thanks!

I just ordered another PT G3 for my Zipps...............

I still need another Head unit. I am leaning more on the Garmin 500 but the 510 and 810 are still in the mix. It's all about what I need ver what I want.

I had a 500 and I have an 800.
I bought the 800 for maps when travelling.

I preferred the 500. It's only a bit smaller but enough of a difference to make it more convenient for placing with a BTA bottle

What I disliked about the 500 and 800 is the need to plug them in to download. I think the 510 and 810 fixed this.

But the 500 is a really cheap, but really good unit. Probably one of the best Garmin produced.
2015-02-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

BTW, I am constantly seeing Edge 500s on facebook bike sites like Stevebay and Online Swap Meets in the $150 range

Yeah that is why I'll probable buy the 500. It's the less expensive of the lot.

2015-02-06 3:23 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I originally got the 500, when I got my quarry, then got an 800 when it came out a month or two later. Both are rock-solid. I defer to the 800 though for two reasons: Turn-by-turn directions and warnings, and the elevation "look-ahead" feature. If I am going on a route that I don't know or for any race I always map out and load the course. In two races alone the turn-by-turn saved my arse and notified me to turn with several fellas up the road missed it. Did I feel bad for moving up spots that way? Nope, I filed it away under the "know the course" rule. The elevation Look ahead is by far my favorite thing though, rather in a race or when doing a really climb ride - being able to see the tops of long hills and climbs, and where they flatten out or turn steep is awesome - really helps to know how to manage effort.

I have a 620 that I run with, and I agree that the ability to upload files via bluetooth/phone or known wifi network is awesome. The only thing I don't like about the 800 (and 500) is that you have to tether it to an actual computer to upload files. To do it over again I would def spring for the 810 just for that feature.

2015-02-07 7:11 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I was supposed to go on my first outdoor ride since September (geez, it's been a long time -- hope it really is "like riding a bike"!), but the car with the bike racks was dead.  I tried to jump it, but to no avail.  Thankfully I was smart enough to check that out before putting my bike on it!  It hasn't been used much since early January, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Bummed to be on the trainer on such a nice day, but I'll get out for a run to enjoy it....probably better running weather than biking weather anyways!

2015-02-07 7:32 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds about like my riding. I've had my road bike out for the first time in months for the past two weeks. Still working up the nerve to take out the tri bike in Vietnam traffic. Probably going to just do a trainer ride tomorrow since I've got a cold and don't feel like breathing in all the pollution en route to the industrial park and back, and want to be able to abort mission quickly if I start feeling worse while riding. Might enjoy the cool "winter" weather (high 60's) by doing an easy run before or after. When one's outdoor ride is a four-mile loop of an industrial park, the trainer starts to look quite appealing!

The only really enjoyable outdoor riding here is on an MTB, but it's a big time commitment as the group stops for breakfast noodles and coffee, later on coconuts and drinks, and also a minimum of one ferry (up to four on some rides) due to the watery terrain. It ends up taking about five hours for 2-3 hours of riding, and right now with coursework I often just can't spare the time.

Have to laugh about all this power meter stuff. Right now it's basically "easy", "moderate", "hard" and "all out". Not very scientific! Hopefully I'll at least have HR data after Tet break.
2015-02-07 10:24 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy

I originally got the 500, when I got my quarry, then got an 800 when it came out a month or two later. Both are rock-solid. I defer to the 800 though for two reasons: Turn-by-turn directions and warnings, and the elevation "look-ahead" feature. If I am going on a route that I don't know or for any race I always map out and load the course. In two races alone the turn-by-turn saved my arse and notified me to turn with several fellas up the road missed it. Did I feel bad for moving up spots that way? Nope, I filed it away under the "know the course" rule. The elevation Look ahead is by far my favorite thing though, rather in a race or when doing a really climb ride - being able to see the tops of long hills and climbs, and where they flatten out or turn steep is awesome - really helps to know how to manage effort.

I have a 620 that I run with, and I agree that the ability to upload files via bluetooth/phone or known wifi network is awesome. The only thing I don't like about the 800 (and 500) is that you have to tether it to an actual computer to upload files. To do it over again I would def spring for the 810 just for that feature.

Jeez - I never thought to do that even though I've been racing with the 800 for almost 3 years.  Duh...  Great idea - thanks!

Matt

2015-02-07 10:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TankBoy

Jeez - I never thought to do that even though I've been racing with the 800 for almost 3 years.  Duh...  Great idea - thanks!

Matt

I've done that for most all the longer races too, just in case. Never actually used it there, but never know. It has come up in other ride events. A couple people miss the (fairly obvious) turn marking and dozens more will simply follow without looking. I saw the marking and had the map loaded up to confirm they had all gone the wrong way. Saved a bunch more from going well off course a number of times. Also on a group ride led by a few people who are fun, but seem to have a lousy sense of direction, I had to show them how our route had ended up going to that point as they kept sending us farther away from the start. A 2 hr ride only went out to 3 because of that, could have ended up out past 5 the way they were going. The long rides are fun, but not so much when they aren't planned that way.

The elevation section is nice to know for some of the event rides as I'll just show up and do them. I know there are big, steep hills on them, but not where all of them are. Don't always look, but nice to have it there at times when the watts/kg being put out is also getting close to your speed. In races I've known the course well enough beforehand to not really need that.

2015-02-07 10:49 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, the culprit for my recent back, hamstring, and glute tightness while running is definitely NOT the tri bike. I just did a 2:30 trainer ride, most of it in aero, with some "sweet spot" intervals and one final 10-minute one at Oly effort, then had a great 42 minute brick run immediately after. In fact, my best runs the past few weeks have been brick runs, regardless of bike, and the occasional evening run. By process of elimination, the culprit seems to be, sadly, my body no longer being used to going out and running, sometimes quite hard, at 5 AM. I'd gotten out of the habit with about four weeks (on vacation and had a cold for a week after) of not running, sleeping in, or both. Have occasionally had the back issue in the past with swimming early AM, esp. if water is cold. No sure what to do about it except maybe try to get up a little earlier (sigh--4:45 is already REALLY early in my book) and do some more household chores first--garbage, cat boxes, and such---so I can be a bit more warmed up, and start out really slowly. Really am not a morning person, but the area where I live has gotten much more developed in recent years and now there is really no safe/uncrowded place to run after work, except around our school fields late evening after soccer, etc. has ended.

2015-02-08 9:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Well, the culprit for my recent back, hamstring, and glute tightness while running is definitely NOT the tri bike. I just did a 2:30 trainer ride, most of it in aero, with some "sweet spot" intervals and one final 10-minute one at Oly effort, then had a great 42 minute brick run immediately after. In fact, my best runs the past few weeks have been brick runs, regardless of bike, and the occasional evening run. By process of elimination, the culprit seems to be, sadly, my body no longer being used to going out and running, sometimes quite hard, at 5 AM. I'd gotten out of the habit with about four weeks (on vacation and had a cold for a week after) of not running, sleeping in, or both. Have occasionally had the back issue in the past with swimming early AM, esp. if water is cold. No sure what to do about it except maybe try to get up a little earlier (sigh--4:45 is already REALLY early in my book) and do some more household chores first--garbage, cat boxes, and such---so I can be a bit more warmed up, and start out really slowly. Really am not a morning person, but the area where I live has gotten much more developed in recent years and now there is really no safe/uncrowded place to run after work, except around our school fields late evening after soccer, etc. has ended.

Nice work Karen! It's sounds like a good warm up prior to exercise would be what you need. Glad you figured it out.

2015-02-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I did another 5' power test followed by 2x20'

5' PT
AP 342
NP 338
HR 173
RPM 94

I can remember which to load in Golden Cheetah, AP or NP. Also should I wait until I get my 20' test done before I update the 5' and 20' in GC? I think I did a pretty good at pacing the first 20'. The second 20' my power was higher so I am happy about that.

Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/692695385

GC screen shots.......

(5' PT & 2x20'@275wb.JPG)

(5' PT & 2x20'@275w.png)

Attachments
----------------
5' PT & 2x20'@275wb.JPG (102KB - 2 downloads)
5' PT & 2x20'@275w.png (62KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-08 10:59 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice work James!  You want to use AP for the CP/FTP calculation in GoldenCheetah.  I think you will want to redo the 20' test before adjusting anything as well.  That higher 5' test will actually lower your CP calculation if you use the same 20' number.

2015-02-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

Nice work James!  You want to use AP for the CP/FTP calculation in GoldenCheetah.  I think you will want to redo the 20' test before adjusting anything as well.  That higher 5' test will actually lower your CP calculation if you use the same 20' number.

Thank you. That was a 13w increase since my last test a month ago. I am doing the 20' test Tuesday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).