BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-09 10:41 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Happy Monday! Sounds like some of our racers had a tough weekend, but we're all proud of you for getting out there and finishing! 

2 more weeks - 2 more weeks - 2 more weeks - then hopefully I can ditch these crutches. I will be traveling a lot between now and then so hopefully it flies by super fast. I cannot WAIT to do something as simple as take my dog for a walk. I had half a mind to register for IM Florida yesterday (and I see it's STILL open?!) but trying to reel myself in. I should at least be able to walk before registering for an Ironman, ha.

And yes, I think we all need more ZOE PICTURES 

2015-11-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Pod, I'm a sunken mermaid. We learned flip turns during this week's swim class, and although I was executing them well, they did not agree with me. I was so dizzy! I'm happy to report that I managed to get to the locker room before throwing up though, so no closing the pool on my account. I also am a bit stiff in my back, so clearly I need to work on strengthening my core. But here's my real question: I usually wear ear plugs in the water to help with dizziness, but I don't wear them during class because with the fan and the noise, I can't hear the instructor. Does anyone have experience with an ear plug that blocks the water, but that you can still hear with it in? Edited for spelling.

I don't wear ear plugs, so I can't speak to that question.  But I do get sick if I do flip turns.  I suffer from motion sickness and after a few flip turns I am green! So, open turns only for me.

2015-11-09 11:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Not a great race today. Lovely weather, well organised, great group of people. My race just sucked, felt like I never got out of second gear. Got to get working on that. I hope all our other racing Manatees had a better day.

Sorry you had a tough race! I'm sure your next one will be done in first gear!! 

2015-11-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We were out camping with the Land Cruiser club this weekend, but I tried to check in on racers during sporadic cell signal areas.

Everyone looks like they had a good time...and that's the goal, right?!?!?  Well done, Manatees!   I won't spoil your race details

Oh! And ZOEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Zoe indeed!!!  Cuteness overload!  Wait, that's not possible to overload on puppy cuteness.  More pics, please! 

Saturday I thought I was going to be joining Mary in the concussion ranks.  I walked into the hatch of my car and hit my head very, very hard.  Headaches the rest of the day, but it was better Sunday morning.  I finished my race (the performance aspect of it was dismal and will be discussed in more detail in the RR) but the beauty of the water and the day and the pre- and post-race events with friends made it all worthwhile.

No more concussions are allowed in the Pod!   Sounds like you hit your goal of just enjoying the experience, so yay!  

2015-11-09 11:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Atlantia

Pod, I'm a sunken mermaid.
We learned flip turns during this week's swim class, and although I was executing them well, they did not agree with me. I was so dizzy! I'm happy to report that I managed to get to the locker room before throwing up though, so no closing the pool on my account. I also am a bit stiff in my back, so clearly I need to work on strengthening my core.
But here's my real question: I usually wear ear plugs in the water to help with dizziness, but I don't wear them during class because with the fan and the noise, I can't hear the instructor. Does anyone have experience with an ear plug that blocks the water, but that you can still hear with it in?

Edited for spelling.

I'm with you - flip turns make me nauseous. I do wear ear plugs sometimes but I can't hear anything. Is there such a thing that blocks water but not sound?

I did a relay hm with a friend on Saturday. Very low key event. I got the first 8 downhill miles and she took the last uphill 5. Seems fair

I LOVE those puppy pics Janyne! How's the house breaking and chewing training going? I don't envy you on that part

OH and DH took a spill on his bike yesterday. He was cut off by a mail truck doing Sunday Amazon deliveries. He didn't actually hit him but came close and DH jammed the brakes and skidded across the road. He's got a little road rash, a bump on his face and his helmet is cracked. He's ok and did his run this am and wants to swim after work. I just can't get him to relax - he must not be that hurt.

Time to go helmet shopping!

Have a good day!
2015-11-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I finished.  It wasn't pretty, but I finished - and it was survival mode from before the race even started due to some under-cooked chicken for dinner the night before...    

SUPER windy day - so much so that the wind was creating a chop on the lake & I have NO idea how many people DNF'd in the water, but a friend who was SUP support from the race said that he and the kayakers were towing 2-3 people at a time back to shore and they just didn't stop.  

My swim was at least 8 minutes longer than I thought it was going to be due to having to stop twice to upchuck in the water (you're welcome for the extra food, fishes!), and getting blown WAY off course because of the current. 

Bike:  at least 30-40 minutes slower than expected: the wind was again brutal & I almost threw in the towel a dozen times during the first 10 miles of straight headwind... and then a cross wind... and, hey - it's a cross wind from the other side... can we get a tailwin... nope, that's another headwind.  It was relentless for the entire 57 miles... oh and I also had some mechanical fun due to my chain dropping EIGHT times, a rear flat & having to stop & upchuck twice. The last wasn't technically "mechanical" but I still had to stop. 

Run: we all know that running & I don't get along, and my quads, calves & hammys were cramping from the time I got off the bike.  SHUT UP LEGS!  I basically did a 1min run/1min walk for the entire thing, other than a few times when I was able to do a 3/2.  And I upchucked once during the run.  I know, I know - I'm a slacker for not doing it twice...     

As it's my only HIM to date though, so far it's a PR!  I do feel like I have to do the race again to get some redemption though... 

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2015-11-09 2:50 PM

2015-11-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I finished.  It wasn't pretty, but I finished - and it was survival mode from before the race even started due to some under-cooked chicken for dinner the night before...    

SUPER windy day - so much so that the wind was creating a chop on the lake & I have NO idea how many people DNF'd in the water, but a friend who was SUP support from the race said that he and the kayakers were towing 2-3 people at a time back to shore and they just didn't stop.  

My swim was at least 8 minutes longer than I thought it was going to be due to having to stop twice to upchuck in the water (you're welcome for the extra food, fishes!), and getting blown WAY off course because of the current. 

Bike:  at least 30-40 minutes slower than expected: the wind was again brutal & I almost threw in the towel a dozen times during the first 10 miles of straight headwind... and then a cross wind... and, hey - it's a cross wind from the other side... can we get a tailwin... nope, that's another headwind.  It was relentless for the entire 57 miles... oh and I also had some mechanical fun due to my chain dropping EIGHT times, a rear flat & having to stop & upchuck twice. The last wasn't technically "mechanical" but I still had to stop. 

Run: we all know that running & I don't get along, and my quads, calves & hammys were cramping from the time I got off the bike.  SHUT UP LEGS!  I basically did a 1min run/1min walk for the entire thing, other than a few times when I was able to do a 3/2.  

As it's my only HIM to date though, so far it's a PR!  I do feel like I have to do the race again to get some redemption though... 

Yikes! That sounds miserable!! But you did survive, if only barely, so you hit your race goal  I truly believe in a "wind conspiracy".  I mean really, there is NEVER a tail wind. Ever.

Congrats on the PR.  And, in future, may I suggest not cooking for yourself the night before a race 

2015-11-09 2:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Run: we all know that running & I don't get along, and my quads, calves & hammys were cramping from the time I got off the bike.  SHUT UP LEGS!  I basically did a 1min run/1min walk for the entire thing, other than a few times when I was able to do a 3/2.  

Congrats on the PR and completing the race! Based on what you are describing and the circumstances - you did an amazing job!
How are you feeling today?
Mary
2015-11-09 2:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

Pod, I'm a sunken mermaid.
We learned flip turns during this week's swim class, and although I was executing them well, they did not agree with me. I was so dizzy! I'm happy to report that I managed to get to the locker room before throwing up though, so no closing the pool on my account. I also am a bit stiff in my back, so clearly I need to work on strengthening my core.
But here's my real question: I usually wear ear plugs in the water to help with dizziness, but I don't wear them during class because with the fan and the noise, I can't hear the instructor. Does anyone have experience with an ear plug that blocks the water, but that you can still hear with it in?

Edited for spelling.

I felt suuuper dizzy first few times - to the point I was about to tell my instructor I would just practice myself, on my free time, so I don't have to deal with this crap anymore... But he just told me to keep repeating, and at some point I stopped feeling like a roller coaster in a pool.
My problem was water coming to my nose, but I noticed I was exhaling too soon. i started exhaling the moment I was almost upside down, and it helped.

I hated when I could not hear anyone with earplugs. I was just "opening" my swim cap when my instructor was talking. Sorry for not being helpful :/
Mary
2015-11-09 2:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Run: we all know that running & I don't get along, and my quads, calves & hammys were cramping from the time I got off the bike.  SHUT UP LEGS!  I basically did a 1min run/1min walk for the entire thing, other than a few times when I was able to do a 3/2. And I upchucked once during the run.  I know, I know - I'm a slacker for not doing it twice...     

Yikes! That sounds miserable!! But you did survive, if only barely, so you hit your race goal  I truly believe in a "wind conspiracy".  I mean really, there is NEVER a tail wind. Ever.

Congrats on the PR.  And, in future, may I suggest not cooking for yourself the night before a race 

Seriously no tailwind EVER!!  

And Tony already apologized for not being home to cook dinner for me.  I'm never allowed in the kitchen again, and I'm okay with that!  

2015-11-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

Run: we all know that running & I don't get along, and my quads, calves & hammys were cramping from the time I got off the bike.  SHUT UP LEGS!  I basically did a 1min run/1min walk for the entire thing, other than a few times when I was able to do a 3/2.  And I upchucked once during the run.  I know, I know - I'm a slacker for not doing it twice...      

Congrats on the PR and completing the race! Based on what you are describing and the circumstances - you did an amazing job! How are you feeling today? Mary

I'm feeling a little beat up & sore, but not nearly as horrible as I thought I would.  Perhaps the margaritas last night helped to dull the pain?   

2015-11-09 3:07 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

Congrats on the PR and completing the race! Based on what you are describing and the circumstances - you did an amazing job! How are you feeling today? Mary

I'm feeling a little beat up & sore, but not nearly as horrible as I thought I would.  Perhaps the margaritas last night helped to dull the pain?   

Margarita is the remedy for every pain
Mary
2015-11-09 3:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Just the phrase 'under-cooked chicken' just about makes me want to hurl.  I think you've gotten more than your share of bad race experiences out of the way with just this race, meaning your next race should be smooth sailing!  Wow, way to stick it out.

2015-11-09 3:35 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Not a great race today. Lovely weather, well organised, great group of people. My race just sucked, felt like I never got out of second gear. Got to get working on that. I hope all our other racing Manatees had a better day.

Sorry to hear your race sucked, but at least it sounds like you know what you need to do to be ready for the next race.

2015-11-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Atlantia Pod, I'm a sunken mermaid. We learned flip turns during this week's swim class, and although I was executing them well, they did not agree with me. I was so dizzy! I'm happy to report that I managed to get to the locker room before throwing up though, so no closing the pool on my account. I also am a bit stiff in my back, so clearly I need to work on strengthening my core. But here's my real question: I usually wear ear plugs in the water to help with dizziness, but I don't wear them during class because with the fan and the noise, I can't hear the instructor. Does anyone have experience with an ear plug that blocks the water, but that you can still hear with it in? Edited for spelling.
I'm with you - flip turns make me nauseous. I do wear ear plugs sometimes but I can't hear anything. Is there such a thing that blocks water but not sound? I did a relay hm with a friend on Saturday. Very low key event. I got the first 8 downhill miles and she took the last uphill 5. Seems fair I LOVE those puppy pics Janyne! How's the house breaking and chewing training going? I don't envy you on that part OH and DH took a spill on his bike yesterday. He was cut off by a mail truck doing Sunday Amazon deliveries. He didn't actually hit him but came close and DH jammed the brakes and skidded across the road. He's got a little road rash, a bump on his face and his helmet is cracked. He's ok and did his run this am and wants to swim after work. I just can't get him to relax - he must not be that hurt. Time to go helmet shopping! Have a good day!

Your race sounds like the work was divided very fairly. 

Sorry to hear about DH, glad he wasn't hurt worse than he was.  Sounds scary.  

2015-11-09 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Just the phrase 'under-cooked chicken' just about makes me want to hurl.  I think you've gotten more than your share of bad race experiences out of the way with just this race, meaning your next race should be smooth sailing!  Wow, way to stick it out.

Lol  - proving once again to myself that I should never, ever, ever be allowed in the kitchen & I'm hoping at the very least that I've reached my lifetime quota of hurling during a race...  

2015-11-09 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congratulations on the HIM finish. Yikes! I'm tired and vaguely nauseous just reading about it. I hear you about the wind--at least when I train I have never noticed any tailwinds. I have heard that said about Kona, too--you turn around and the headwind just becomes another headwind. They do happen, though--in my last HIM I had all three--head, tail, and cross. Unfortunately the whole venue was overrun with deer--I think I counted fifty standing in the road during the bike course--so couldn't quite just let it rip out of control with a screaming tailwind and expect to survive. Plus five puke stops- that's persistence! I think my record for tri is one, on the bike; didn't bother to stop!

Hope you are feeling better. Maybe stick to pasta next time!
2015-11-09 6:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

OMG! That's all I got because my jaw is on the table!
2015-11-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Logged 9 mi on a treadmill last night.  It begins.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It was just a matter of putting the time in.

Only disconcerting thing was the muscled up, tatted guy walking next to me who randomly hurled f-bombs every few minutes for no apparent reason.

2015-11-10 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I get it, I get it....no more complaining about a little dizziness and a single puking session. No need to turn it into a competition, Miss Upchuck!
Congrats on your finish, sounds like the mental and physical toughness got you through!
2015-11-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It was just a matter of putting the time in.

Only disconcerting thing was the muscled up, tatted guy walking next to me who randomly hurled f-bombs every few minutes for no apparent reason.

It would have been more disconcerting if it had been a teeny little powder-puff of a grandma hurling f-bombs! :D

2015-11-10 9:27 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

9 miles on a treadmill?  You are one tough cookie!  Treadmills (shudder).  Good luck and keep up the excellent work - maybe muscled up tatted guy has Tourettes?

2015-11-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello all, I hope your week has started off well.  

Monica- Good job working through some tough stuff. Congrats on getting to the end!

Laura - One of the things I did when learning flip turns was to take a few minutes at the end of every session to just work on that. It was 5-10 minutes, for a few weeks. Mine still aren't pretty, but I am more comfortable doing them.  The repition might help you.

Randee - I hope DH is doing better.  Sometimes it seems like no matter what we do on the bike, we are a target.

Melanie - It looks like you hit the most important goal for this past weekend. Not hurting yourself! And having fun.

Stacey - Onward and upward. Keep on going and it'll all feel better!

Erin - The camping lately looks like it has been a blast. How is the MTB loving son doing on the bike?

Janyne - I love the pics of Zoe, she is just too cute.  TW has asked to see them all.

TJ - Moab looked like it was pretty cool! I hope you and your thoughts had a good time.

Karen - I have nothing for you on the exercise work, I guess just keep after it and eventually it'll happen. I find it funny what kind of affect all that we do running, biking and swimming has for us.  Yet at the same time, it may not all translate.  I had to carry my bass amp out of the house last night and was reminded just how much all this SBR hasn't helped me 

Kirsten - Good to see you are moving in the right direction with your hip. Keep on keeping on.

Tom - I have to agree with Laura, it would have been much more interesting if the f-bombs came from someone else.  Still, it makes you wonder what people are thinking when they are in public. Or if they are thinking?

Lisa - TWO MORE WEEKS!!!!!  Try not to do anything to set yourself back in those 2 weeks. I know work is really hectic for you right now, but if possible, take the paper pushing jobs at all the meetings.  Someone has to do them, and it might as well be the person who is a bit less mobile. 

I am heading out for the last bit of errands before heading to Las Vegas tomorrow. If I am not around much, you'll know why.

2015-11-10 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

9 miles on a treadmill?  You are one tough cookie!  Treadmills (shudder).  Good luck and keep up the excellent work - maybe muscled up tatted guy has Tourettes?

Yeah, I was wondering how the run would go.  But I just put myself in that place where I knew I could go the distance, and just took it slow.  Nothing physical got in the way, I just ground it out.

2015-11-10 11:17 AM

User image

Seattle
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54791 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67361 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28427 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11978 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66890 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.