BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Racking my bike at Columbia tomorrow and have my first Olympic of the season on Sunday. Heres hoping the weather holds.

Have fun!

2013-05-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

I'm running the Colfax Marathon on Sunday. Trying not to overdo it during my 4 day taper. I have an easy 4 mile run tonight and will do a couple miles tomorrow after driving just to stretch the legs.

Good luck!!

Only 4 days of taper for a marathon - you have stronger legs than I do! I find tapers one of the hardest things about racing, but they do work.

Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Matt
2013-05-18 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Racking my bike at Columbia tomorrow and have my first Olympic of the season on Sunday. Heres hoping the weather holds.

RACING!!

Good luck and let us know how it went. (feeling not a little envy!)

Matt
2013-05-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Fred D

Been having some back tightness for a few days and then while stretching this am felt a sudden dramatic increase in pain. Muscle spasm hopefully, but worried as I can't really move properly. Can't bend. Pain.

Race tomorrow is likely off.

Going to doc to see if they can help with a muscle relaxant.

Back problems just $uck. Period.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully, as you say, it's just a torque and a spasm (lower back?).

Painful as well to call off a race, but you know when it's the right thing to do. Much tougher to actually DO the right thing, so good on you for that.

Flexeril is a miracle drug.

Let us know if it works itself out - wish I had good advice for you…

Best,
Matt
2013-05-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Had a great run last night and just had to comment.

12.4 miles, perfect weather - sunny and cool, the Battle Trail was in full spring-time foliage, step felt light the whole way (even with 5x5' Z4-5a in the middle)…

One of those runs that makes you feel grateful that you can do this...

That is all.

Matt
2013-05-18 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Had a great run last night and just had to comment.

12.4 miles, perfect weather - sunny and cool, the Battle Trail was in full spring-time foliage, step felt light the whole way (even with 5x5' Z4-5a in the middle)…

One of those runs that makes you feel grateful that you can do this...

That is all.

Matt

I feel that way often. Thankful that I can do this. Wishing everyone a great workout weekend!

Got 5 running miles in this morning and going to try to do something later if I've time.

2013-05-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
First race of the weekend in the books. The 7yo took down #2. Much longer distances than he's raced before. The swim was awesome. It's a 50m pool that they take the lane lines out of and put in three buoys to simulate a 100yd OWS with a mass start. The boy jumped early and got clean water fast. One kid absolutely flew off the front. The boy held a perfect inside line and came out of the water second. The eventual winner nipped him out of transition and took off. He's at least a year older and dominates the local circuit. .7mi bike on closed downtown streets. He did great. .7mi run on same course. Ran really strong. He was out of sight most of the run, but he said he felt really good about it. Really fun, well run race. Also ran into another BT'er whose son had a great race coming in third.

Race #2 is tomorrow and the 4yo will be in the mix for that one.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-05-18 1:41 PM
2013-05-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Chicago
Good luck Steve, Matt & Anthony! Represent!

Massachusetts Matt, your run sounds fantastic! I love it when everything aligns and you just have a perfect workout. It makes me feel as though I'm in a Disney movie w/birds singing around my head bc I'm so happy to be outside.

Fred, very sorry to hear about your back. I hope your doc is able to get you straightened out & pain free ASAP. Also sorry that you will not be racing this weekend. That hurts too and sometimes just as much.

Goose, love that your kids enjoy triathlons! I have a niece who wants to do one this year and I think I'm going to be a little emotional at her first race, like I'm a parent lacing up my kid's hockey skates for the first time.
2013-05-18 9:10 PM

User image

Good luck to those racing, hard luck on Fred who can't, and congrats to your son Marshall.

I had a eye opening ride today. Took the road bike out and climbed some short steep hills to cap off a 70 miler. I forgot just how relentless those climbs are and should have swapped cassettes to a 11-28 so I could keep my cadence a little higher. But overall a good ride.

Will be running about 10 tomorrow and then going to our local university baseball game. Some coworkers and I are hosting a post game meal for them as they don't usually have the luxury of a post game meals other than leftover cafeteria food. They've been having a tough season, and this is the last home game for them.
2013-05-19 9:42 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Crazy week at work and a crazy tri-weekend - although I didn't race. Both girls did a kids' tri yesterday and hubby raced a pool sprint this morning.

I've not yet figured out how to use the new BT look, but I hope to catch up on what I missed over the next day or so.
2013-05-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

NC
Tough day of racing today! Second in the series of four kid's triathlons put on by Set Up Events. Top notch and it draws the best and fastest kids. I knew the 7yo was in for a hard race because the four 8yo boys that were faster than him a couple weeks ago were racing again. He had an awesome swim and was first into T1. I knew those boys were coming on the bike. He looks pretty funny on a little BMX bike compared to the other boys on road bikes (at least the fast guys). Ended up holding on to 5th into T2 and got passed by one kid on the run. Haven't seen the official results, but I think he was the top 7yo. He had fun, but told me privately after the race that the kid who passed him was cutting inside the cones on the run. What can you do.

The 4yo had a great race. She decided to take the swim at a little less than race pace. I'm not quite sure where she ended up, but had a ton of fun. It will be interesting to see if she picks up the intensity like her brother when she get older.

Fun day at the races and we were lucky enough to finish up before the rains hit. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2013-05-19 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Just got back from the Columbia Triathlon. Man that is a tough freaking course and the run is the most brutal and HILLY 6.2 miles I have ever seen!! I am really glad I got a chance to pre-ride the course, it definately helped me know how to gear and when I could push it/take it easy. Overall an amazing day and I set an OLY distance PR by 3 minutes!!! I was shocked, especially since this course is 5x harder then the Nations Triathlon course I did in September. Looks like I am improving, even if its just a little. Oh and I got to see Leanda Cave and Cameron Dye on the course today. I think I gave Leanda a good laugh because I had a bloody nose before the race started and forgot that I have plugged it with some tissues to stop the bleeding. She walked right past me on the way to the port o potty and I said hi to her and waved and she smiled and waved back but had a look on her face like I did something funny/weird and I guess its because I forgot about the tissue hanging out of my nose when I said hi to her lol. Oh well, it was funny but Ishe said hi back. I'll put up a full race report later this week. I hope everyone else had a great weekend of training and racing.

On a side note...Fred you are a beast for putting up speeds and times like you have in the past at Columbia. I can't even imagine what its like going that fast on that course.
2013-05-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
We got back from the Colfax marathon and I felt good about it. I missed beating my PR by less than a minute but considering this was at 5280 elevation and my PR was in Seattle at around 52 feet above sea level I don't feel bad at all. I was also battling a stomach bug all week and had to hit the porta potties 3times and lost about 10 minutes standing in line. I'll post a race report after I download my Garmin data.
2013-05-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Today was a 32-mile rolling and hilly ride, part of it on the part of the course that they rode for the Tour de California a couple of days ago. Ride was a really good effort ending with an 800 foot climb (then the great downhill!) over 1.7 miles. One of my riding buddies commented that he saw the Tour covering one of the long steady uphills we were riding at about 17 mph and commented on how the pros made it look like the flats. I remember in a thread not too long ago someone asking about the value of riding in groups. I find that even if you all agree it is going to not be a race, it turns out to be a much higher effort, and more satisfying, ride than if you did it solo. You do get kind of spoiled with the drafting though
2013-05-20 5:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-20 5:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-20 5:55 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Hey gang I've been a little MIA recently. I am having an issue with my back which I see the doc for in a few hours. I am not sure what the full issue is although it looks like it involves soft tissue and also some disc involvement. I am worried that yet another race season is being lost this year, but all I can is be positive. I am currently on a steroid taper pack (catabolic not anabolic so not cheating lol) and had an MRI already. Will know more later today. Cheers!

That sucks Fred.  I hope it works out for you and things clear up quickly.

2013-05-20 6:02 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D Hey gang I've been a little MIA recently. I am having an issue with my back which I see the doc for in a few hours. I am not sure what the full issue is although it looks like it involves soft tissue and also some disc involvement. I am worried that yet another race season is being lost this year, but all I can is be positive. I am currently on a steroid taper pack (catabolic not anabolic so not cheating lol) and had an MRI already. Will know more later today. Cheers!

X2!
2013-05-20 6:03 AM
in reply to: TTom

Master
Orlando
Congratulations to all the racers- big and small!
2013-05-20 6:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Orlando
How's everybody liking the new site? I think I like it, but am frustrated that I am not getting email notifications when this thread is updated. When the update first went into place I would get the occasional update, now nothing! Hope that's fixed soon.
2013-05-20 7:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by axteraa

X2!

x3

Being injured sucks!

2013-05-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Expert
Matt: Way to go on your PR. Sounds like you really challenged yourself.

Steve: Way to go on finishing your marathon even though you weren't feeling good last week.

Marshal: That just sounds fun. I wish we had more local races for kids. Awesome.

Fred: That just sounds like a bummer. I hope it resolves without a lot of down time

Tom: That sounds like a great ride. I always wish I had more training friends. I ride with my husband sometimes but for the most part we just kinda tag team it.

My husband is off today so I am hoping for a nice bike ride today after I get home.

Happy Monday everyone!

2013-05-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Kate - I like the format, so borrowing here:

Hey other Matt - great work! Sounds like a bear of a course, but to PR it, well that's terrific.

Steve - elevation kills me (I'm a lowlander). Good on ya' for hammering it out. If you go for altitude adjusted speed, consider it a PR.

Marshal - fantastic that the kids are so into it! To race well on top of that is icing, right? Ours are starting to get into it, but each in different ways (just running, just swimming, running and swimming, etc... Maybe someday they'll do tri's, but for now, I'm just happy that they're active and competing happily in events).

Fred - been down that road, and I can empathize. It really can get to you, but hopefully it will resolve with a short course and some rest (as in, I hope you get your season back!). As I'm sure you know, back are just tough to treat...

We had a great race yesterday, even though Kim sprung it on us Friday and so it required some gymnastics for training. I PR'd the 5k (19:35 my watch, 19:41 official), for 8OA/3AG and Kim PR'd with 2AG - both of us on tired legs (13ish miles each on Friday and a short ride/hard swim Saturday). Tow of our three kids PR'd the mile, and our oldest took 3AG, with the other only a couple seconds off her PR. A great day!!

Then I hopped on my bike and rode ~36miles through the hills, with a 2 mile run off the bike after. Two things - hills and TT bikes are an interesting combination, and running off a TT bike really is easier than off the road bike. Who knew?!?!

Awesome weekend, all in (and a nice, chill recovery swim this morning).

Congrats again to all the other racers and some great training.

Oh, and I think I'm signing up for a HIM in August (Timberman). Post coming shortly with a couple questions on that one...

Matt
2013-05-20 10:52 AM

Expert
I did something I hate doing this morning but make it a point to do it once in a while in case it happens on race day, which it has. I rode in the rain. It just never fails that some driver puts the fear of god into me and today was no exception. It was a recovery pace ride so I had no issues taking it slow but on the one downhill of any consequence a guy pulled up to the stop sign never really stopping and looked right quickly and then back left which is where I was coming from. He had his window down a few inches and I was screaming don't do it repeatedly and he jacked on his breaks and waved an apology. I had anticipated somebody could do just that so I was off the bars and on the horns and I wouldn't have wrecked but my HR certainly went up a few beats. Having raced in the rain...........it blows.

Short swim and run as well.

Fred sorry to hear about your back. More core work?

Sorry couldn't resist but do hope you work through it quickly.
2013-05-20 12:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I finally downloaded my Garmin data and was surprised at the actual run. My moving time was 5:11:32 which put me standing in line at the porta potties at a little over 20 minutes. It also showed me that my pace was pretty consistent (subtracting the mile splits where I stopped) until I got to mile 23. I knew I hadn't logged enough long miles in before going in to this so I wasn't surprised that I was starting to fall apart there. It did surprise me that I wasn't losing steam earlier than that. Overall I felt good about the run.

Now I have to figure out how to recover quick since we are doing the Bolder Boulder 10k in a week. As sore as I am today I'm thinking its going to be a long 10k next Monday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51