BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-29 5:07 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Will attempt to do so discreetly..... I did an easy swim last night and was noticing that the large blonde people in lanes 1 and 2 were lapping me--in a 50-meter pool--sometimes even on kick sets! Admittedly, this was an easy recovery swim and I was kind of noodling around, but I'm a decent swimmer and don't normally get lapped by people kicking. Kind of puzzled. At dinner, they sat down at a nearby table and I realized it was the Norwegian Olympic Team. (Not sure why they have an Olympic Team now--I would assume a development team training for the next Olympics.)

2017-01-29 5:22 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
We bought a new treadmill this week, so I can now run without risking my life. Our road is a half mile of almost skate-able ice. After researching it we went with a Sole F63. It is stable quiet and well built. I still sound like an elephant when I run on it, but that is nothing that turning the TV up doesn't fix.

On the strange Alzheimer's front, my Mom got up and walked for the first time in almost a year. She must have just hit the right window at the right time and they found her walking down the hall. It's such an odd disease, you don't know what you will get from day to day. She slept for two days straight after that, she was exhausted. The home is on lock down because of a Flu outbreak, so we suspect she was sick of sitting in her room.
2017-01-29 8:08 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by JBacarella

We bought a new treadmill this week, so I can now run without risking my life. Our road is a half mile of almost skate-able ice. After researching it we went with a Sole F63. It is stable quiet and well built. I still sound like an elephant when I run on it, but that is nothing that turning the TV up doesn't fix.

On the strange Alzheimer's front, my Mom got up and walked for the first time in almost a year. She must have just hit the right window at the right time and they found her walking down the hall. It's such an odd disease, you don't know what you will get from day to day. She slept for two days straight after that, she was exhausted. The home is on lock down because of a Flu outbreak, so we suspect she was sick of sitting in her room.
Well at least she was being active even if it was just for a day.
2017-01-29 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Will attempt to do so discreetly..... I did an easy swim last night and was noticing that the large blonde people in lanes 1 and 2 were lapping me--in a 50-meter pool--sometimes even on kick sets! Admittedly, this was an easy recovery swim and I was kind of noodling around, but I'm a decent swimmer and don't normally get lapped by people kicking. Kind of puzzled. At dinner, they sat down at a nearby table and I realized it was the Norwegian Olympic Team. (Not sure why they have an Olympic Team now--I would assume a development team training for the next Olympics.)
I hope that you are enjoying yourself and the "scenery" Karen.
2017-01-29 8:16 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
ok a shoe question.

How worn do you let the tread on your shoes get before you replace them? I know that some people say that you should get 500 mile out of a pair of shoes, but is this at all realistic?

I was looking at the soles of my older pair of shoes yesterday and they are fairly worn across the ball of my foot, but I have only done about 260km (160ish mile) in them. This seems really low. Pretty much all of my running is done on fairly chunky chip sealed roads and I am a bit of an elephant when I run. Do you think that this will make the soles wear out more quickly?
2017-01-29 8:22 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK ok a shoe question. How worn do you let the tread on your shoes get before you replace them? I know that some people say that you should get 500 mile out of a pair of shoes, but is this at all realistic? I was looking at the soles of my older pair of shoes yesterday and they are fairly worn across the ball of my foot, but I have only done about 260km (160ish mile) in them. This seems really low. Pretty much all of my running is done on fairly chunky chip sealed roads and I am a bit of an elephant when I run. Do you think that this will make the soles wear out more quickly?

I don't tend to pay attention to the wear on the soles--mine 'look' worn fairly quickly.  At the same time, I usually only get about 400km from a pair.  I know when my right foot or my shins start to bother me on runs, it is time to break out a new pair.  I know that others get way more mileage out of their shoes, but I think it can be very individual.  I think it is more important to listen to what your body is telling you, than what the shoes 'say' (or what others get out of their shoes).  My $0.02.

2017-01-29 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK ok a shoe question. How worn do you let the tread on your shoes get before you replace them? I know that some people say that you should get 500 mile out of a pair of shoes, but is this at all realistic? I was looking at the soles of my older pair of shoes yesterday and they are fairly worn across the ball of my foot, but I have only done about 260km (160ish mile) in them. This seems really low. Pretty much all of my running is done on fairly chunky chip sealed roads and I am a bit of an elephant when I run. Do you think that this will make the soles wear out more quickly?

people get different mileage from their shoes, so I wouldn't worry about what others get.  For example, although I don't really track mileage, I know I don't get anywhere near 500 miles ( which I think is quite high), I'm more around 300 miles, but will push it more than that.  I tend to wear out the sole on the outside bottom of each heal - heal striker here!. The rest of the shoe looks great, so I hate to get rid of them so quickly. Still, I buy new shoes multiple times a year. 

as far as where you run and how you run contributing to wear, yes, it does make a difference.  See above about being a heal striker. 

2017-01-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

I just read that Mike Reilly will be at IMChoo and IMAZ this year. Hmmmmmmm...

ETA: and Boulder. There are others but those are the ones that, gulp, interest me.

He will be at Oceanside 70.3 as well! I'm really excited because he backed out of Boulder 2015 at the last minute. When I crossed the finish line I looked at my coach and said, "This didn't count because Mike Reilly didn't call my name." He did call last year's Boulder IM.
2017-01-29 9:46 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Hiya Manatees!

Any racers this weekend? GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

Mike, glad the surg went well. Wishing you a smooth recovery. You've been gone so long I forgot what I used to call you!

I am ... kind of falling apart. I "train" a bit every day, just bike and swim for now, need to give my ankles another week (I sprained both the day of my friend's funeral. Classic Yanti! It was classic Oscar too, he was a total klutz. I think we just both had huge feet for our height and kept tripping over them).

Mentally not doing so well, so going to see a doctor here in Perth as well to see if I can't get some better sleep (have slept next to nil in a month) and maybe some appetite back.

Love and miss you all. Manatee {MELON PRESS}

Hugs, Yanti!

Mike, glad you're feeling better!
2017-01-29 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
How long shoes last varies a lot with things like the shoe itself, your size and stride mechanics, what kind of surface you usually run on, even things like heat and humidity. I have had shoes that have lasted as little as 300 miles, and some that I've kept around for years that probably have well over 1000 miles on them and still feel great. One reason I run almost entirely in Saucony is that the soles tend to be very durable. But some of the lighter models, like Kinvara and Grid Speed, start to self-destruct from the inside long before the soles wear out, particularly if you are sweating a lot in hot, humid conditions,or otherwise getting them soaked (as in pouring water over your head in races). There isn't a set number of miles. You have to listen to your body. When you consistently start to feel little aches and pains in places you don't normally, without a change in training that might cause that, it's often a sign that it's time for a new pair of shoes.
2017-01-30 1:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
thanks for the shoe info everyone.

I was looking at them and thinking that there is no way I'm going to be getting another 500km out of them. 100-200k maybe. kinda glad to hear that you only get about 400km out of your shoes Kristen cause I think thats probably gonna be where I end up too. But I will go by feel and track how far I get out of them more for interest than replacement.

2017-01-30 7:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've tended to get around 300 miles or so out of a few different shoes. It's been more about the cushioning or midsole function than the outersole still having tread left.

2017-01-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

people get different mileage from their shoes, so I wouldn't worry about what others get.  For example, although I don't really track mileage, I know I don't get anywhere near 500 miles ( which I think is quite high), I'm more around 300 miles, but will push it more than that.  I tend to wear out the sole on the outside bottom of each heal - heal striker here!. The rest of the shoe looks great, so I hate to get rid of them so quickly. Still, I buy new shoes multiple times a year. 

as far as where you run and how you run contributing to wear, yes, it does make a difference.  See above about being a heal striker. 

I too am a heel striker. My shoes show terrible wear on the outside and back of the heel. It's my go to sign that replacement is necessary. So, I like Saucony's for outsole strength. My Asics are a bit worse, the NB's I started in were terrible. Most of my road runs are on asphalt or cement sidewalks, not chip seal. Some of the roads are a bit harsh, but nothing too bad. All of which is to say that different conditions and different products will yield different results on different runners. And I think Karen hit the nail on the head, you'll know it when your body tells you things aren't right. 

2017-01-30 9:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I must have missed a post somewhere. What training camp are you at? Sounds awesome! Not that I have the time/freedom to go to one at this stage in my life but I'd be interested to hear if you think it's worth it when you're finished. Personally I think i'd be in awesome shape and be ready to dominate after camp but pretty quickly fall back into my old training habits soon after.

Chiming in on shoe wear (why not, it's Monday morning!), I find it varies a lot by shoe brand/style. I've started running only in Hoka's and I get about 400-450 miles out of the Vanquish's but barely 300 from the Clifton's. Active.com has great sales on them every now and then so I stock up when they have my size. The retail price on some running shoes is crazy!
2017-01-30 9:52 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

thanks for the shoe info everyone.

I was looking at them and thinking that there is no way I'm going to be getting another 500km out of them. 100-200k maybe. kinda glad to hear that you only get about 400km out of your shoes Kristen cause I think thats probably gonna be where I end up too. But I will go by feel and track how far I get out of them more for interest than replacement.

When mine hit 3-400 miles I'll go ahead and buy a new pair. Then I'll wear the new pair and old pair consecutively to compare them. If/when they feel significantly different in the cushion "response" I'll retire the old pair.
2017-01-30 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by StaceyK thanks for the shoe info everyone. I was looking at them and thinking that there is no way I'm going to be getting another 500km out of them. 100-200k maybe. kinda glad to hear that you only get about 400km out of your shoes Kristen cause I think thats probably gonna be where I end up too. But I will go by feel and track how far I get out of them more for interest than replacement.
When mine hit 3-400 miles I'll go ahead and buy a new pair. Then I'll wear the new pair and old pair consecutively to compare them. If/when they feel significantly different in the cushion "response" I'll retire the old pair.

That is a very creative way to judge wear.

I have so many different brands and models that I generally go by feel as well. If I'm starting to see a pattern of new niggles with a certain pair I retire them.

2017-01-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo

ETA: and Boulder. There are others but those are the ones that, gulp, interest me.

He will be at Oceanside 70.3 as well! I'm really excited because he backed out of Boulder 2015 at the last minute. When I crossed the finish line I looked at my coach and said, "This didn't count because Mike Reilly didn't call my name." He did call last year's Boulder IM.

I hate to admit that it was a factor in choosing my race. Not the only factor but having him call my name at IMCHOO vs seeing Hands and Janyne at IMLou was a consideration

I went back and forth and actually at the end of the day it came down to CHOO based on a "gut" feeling both by me and by DH.

2017-01-30 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo

I hate to admit that it was a factor in choosing my race. Not the only factor but having him call my name at IMCHOO vs seeing Hands and Janyne at IMLou was a consideration

I went back and forth and actually at the end of the day it came down to CHOO based on a "gut" feeling both by me and by DH.

LOL! I loved that Mike Reilly was at IMMT when i did it - and i used that 'You are an Ironman' as so much motivation in training. But then, I didn't even hear it on race day!  I was still thrilled and it was super awesome but i did not hear my name called out. 

2017-01-30 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by StaceyK thanks for the shoe info everyone. I was looking at them and thinking that there is no way I'm going to be getting another 500km out of them. 100-200k maybe. kinda glad to hear that you only get about 400km out of your shoes Kristen cause I think thats probably gonna be where I end up too. But I will go by feel and track how far I get out of them more for interest than replacement.

I do the similar thing (I track compulsively on this training log using the gear selector) and i've been running in Asics for probably 8 or 9 years so it's pretty consistent as to when they kick the bucket. For me, i get about 600km but usually am starting to feel it by 500km and if i haven't already picked up a new pair, it will be time to get a new pair. 

2017-01-30 12:50 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
I run in Zoot TT and get 500+- miles out of them (the best was almost 700 miles), but I run on a treadmill half of the year, I live in a cooler climate and if I wash them, I air dry them and never put them in a dryer. All of these factors help give them a longer life. I am a heal striker too, but I don't think that really changes shoe life, just where the tread wears.

I have a fool proof method of running on them until my knees hurt. If my Knees start to hurt the cushioning is worn out and I need new shoes.

You can't put a number on shoes, but some are built better than others. Between me and my four kids, all who play sports, we have tested a lot of shoes. I think that UA, and NB are junk. I've had both brands literally disintegrate at about 100 miles. I l wear Zoot, I have daughter that loves Saucony and another daughter that loves Brooks. The other 2 wear Nike, but one works for a college football team and gets them for free.The other, my 16 year old son, likes to "look good," but he buys his own, so I can't complain.
2017-01-30 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Will post pictures later from tri paradise/hell. I made it to the training camp--Yanti, you should join me. They have two ENORMOUS pools, right next to the restaurant, so you can swim yourself senseless, stagger out, and eat healthy food a few minutes later. There are also meditation and yoga type classes almost every hour. Have not seen so many fit-looking people taking themselves way too seriously in one place since Worlds. Trying to recover from a 110 km ride with what seemed to be the Swiss junior national women's squad. (Okay, it was probably just a tri club on holiday, but with one 40-ish exception, they were all frighteningly young and fit Daniela Ryf wanna-be's!) I did close to my HIM race pace and then kept going for another 20 km. Ouch! And this was on the White Terror, my road bike that I haven't actually ridden outside for three years and maybe ridden on the trainer three or four times. I don't recommend this, but didn't feel comfortable bringing Rover (the Cervelo P2) for group rides on unfamiliar hilly roads with traffic. 'We were having a few butt/saddle compatibility issues en route. Devoting the rest of the day to relaxation, recovery, and admiring hot bodies poolside.

Oh now!  I hope that Yanti does not need to give you advice about your nether regions!

2017-01-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella We bought a new treadmill this week, so I can now run without risking my life. Our road is a half mile of almost skate-able ice. After researching it we went with a Sole F63. It is stable quiet and well built. I still sound like an elephant when I run on it, but that is nothing that turning the TV up doesn't fix. On the strange Alzheimer's front, my Mom got up and walked for the first time in almost a year. She must have just hit the right window at the right time and they found her walking down the hall. It's such an odd disease, you don't know what you will get from day to day. She slept for two days straight after that, she was exhausted. The home is on lock down because of a Flu outbreak, so we suspect she was sick of sitting in her room.

Congrats on the treadmill!

Sorry to hear about your mom.

2017-01-30 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

500 miles is not realistic for me.  I start to notice that they feel different near the 325-250 mile mark.  If I have been smart, I have already started a new pair in rotation and then start to use older pair only for shorter runs. 

2017-01-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery

Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery. Please check the event's official website for updates: ironman.com/chattanooga

Race Date: September 24, 2017

2017-01-30 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery

Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery. Please check the event's official website for updates: ironman.com/chattanooga

Race Date: September 24, 2017

YAY!!! SO EXCITING! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102