Boycott31 Votes - [25.62%]
Eat-Mor-Chickn90 Votes - [74.38%]

2012-07-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4331762

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Chick-Fil-
I honestly dont care. Its not like anyone is forced to eat there.

One of the best steaks I have had in my life was from a shack type place in the middle of Utah with bible verses stapled all over it.

FYI-I'm gay.

2012-07-26 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

My neighbors are gay.  I asked them about this a few days ago and his reply was. "I don't give a damn.  Their sandwiches are delicious."

We are also friends with a lesbian couple.  Their reply "Unless they start asking us our sexual preference at the counter and deny us service it's a non issue."

I pretty much agree with them both.

Oh and those of you who don't like Chick-Fil-A's sandwiches.  I weep for your lack of taste...

Edited by TriRSquared 2012-07-26 3:57 PM
2012-07-26 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I for one will not be boycotting Chick-Fill-A.  I really don't care what the president of the the companies stance is on gay marriage.  if other's don't like it...don't spend your money there.  Chick-Fill-A is really about the only fast-food place my family and I ever eat at.  Not only is the food very tasty, the restaurants are clean and the employees working there are very polite and well trained.  I have never had a bad experience with their food or service.
2012-07-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4332506

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Goosedog - 2012-07-26 3:48 PM

scoobysdad - 2012-07-26 4:42 PM The company president says he is proudly for the traditional definition of marriage and he is being lambasted and boycotted for being "anti-gay"? 

There's more to the story.  CFA has a history, through it's charitable arm, of donating to groups that actively work against same-sex marriage initiatives (as I understand it).  The CFA boycott stuff has come up before, but these recent comments seem to have reignited the issue with a bit more momentum this time.  I don't think you need to figure out who is being less tolerant.  CFA is expressing its opinion, as are the boycotters.

I guess that's where I have a little bit of a problem. I do not equate even working actively for maintaining the traditional definition of marriage with being "anti-gay" and I'm not even sure where I stand on gay marriage issue. I do know that just because I'm not necessarily "for" something, I don't want to be labeled as "anti" anything either.

But to each his own. In fact, I think that's the most tolerant position here.

2012-07-26 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

There are plenty of companies who have religious roots.... wonder why CFA is being outed (no pun intended) more so..

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/02/05/poll-do-fast-food-chains-religious-leanings-flavor-your-patronage/

2012-07-26 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4332136

Master
Houston, TX
Goosedog - 2012-07-26 1:51 PM
jgaither - 2012-07-26 2:39 PM

It's a strong enough issue that I would pull money away, but with so many degrees of separation from the actual company I don't know how much I'll take this into consideration.

If I understand correctly, CFA has a charitable arm called WinShape.  WinShape is, in some part, funded by CFA corporate money.  WinShape is the organization that gives to the various groups that raise the concern.  This seems to make it more of a corporate action, to me.  Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.

I would agree if this was simply the executives or owners personal money - understanding that they are paid by CFA.  This would be more of an individual action, to me.

I meant franchising being the degree of separation, not the charitable arm.  If I don't buy a sandwich my 5 cents won't go to CFA, but my $4.95 won't go to the local business owner (which I try to support local business) either.  Franchising is a bit different than "local business" but you know what I mean.

IMO they are getting involved in an issue they have no business getting involved in, INTENTIONALLY.  They seem to be taking up the fight against gay marriage, as it's insane to take a public stance on this issue as a business and risk a drop in sales, when it's so easy just to leave it alone.  I can come to no other logical conclusion on my own.

My experience with charitable arms (as our company has one) is that they give based on the agenda of the body.

2012-07-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4332175

User image

Pro
Houston
gearboy - 2012-07-26 2:00 PM
GomesBolt - 2012-07-26 2:40 PM

As far as fast food restaurants go, their service is always above that of other fast food joints, their restaurants (not talking mall food courts here) are always clean, they have really good extras (ever hear of "Mommy Valet"?), and they have better healthy choices than the other fast food joints. 

It's a private company.  So, the company is just an extension of the owner's own wealth.  If you don't like what he/they support, you are free to vote with your feet and your pocketbook.

The original article in which this started is posted here for some context: http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271  Nothing to change anyone's mind in there, it's just interesting is all.

Question for the boycotters: If someone said they were boycotting Omaha Steaks because of Buffett's support of Barack Obama, would you call them crazy? 

Well, given that Omaha Steaks is owned by the Simon family, I would call that confused, not crazy.

I have no idea what the political stance is of the Simons (which is as it should be - the only things I should know is whether their meat is delicious and reasonably priced), but if they supported a cause I disagreed with (and I was a current customer), I would indeed boycott them. And if they supported a cause that I believed in, and it required them to take a risk to do so (e.g. - I am not talking about supporting the "be nice to kittens" cause), I would become a customer.

I agree with all the above. We ave a CFA within half mile of our home it was the one fast food place I didn't mind taking my kids to, they love the chicken noodle soup and fruit cup, Mama loves their lemonade and the occasional Oreo shake. The one near us has been closed for remodeling but there are 2 more within 6 miles. I will stop going there. I always had a problem with every up being styrofoam but it wasn't enough for me to stop going, this is.
2012-07-26 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4332136

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Goosedog - 2012-07-26 1:51 PM
jgaither - 2012-07-26 2:39 PM

It's a strong enough issue that I would pull money away, but with so many degrees of separation from the actual company I don't know how much I'll take this into consideration.

If I understand correctly, CFA has a charitable arm called WinShape.  WinShape is, in some part, funded by CFA corporate money.  WinShape is the organization that gives to the various groups that raise the concern.  This seems to make it more of a corporate action, to me.  Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.

I would agree if this was simply the executives or owners personal money - understanding that they are paid by CFA.  This would be more of an individual action, to me.

When a company is private the corporate profit is the owners money.  I make most of my charitable contributions through my business as well, but they're really personal charities that I support.

2012-07-26 5:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I just had a thought.  Obviously CFA is a company with very strong christian core values.  They are making a public stand which is getting them a ton of free publicity.  I wonder if the "boycott CFA" movement is actually driving more sales their way through the anti-boycott effect.

I haven't had CFA in a couple months but after reading this thread earlier today it got my tummy thinking about it, so I stopped and had CFA for lunch today.  I wasn't making any political stand, I was just thinking about it so I bought it.  So, just by starting this thread you have increased their sales by 1 in Omaha.  

2012-07-26 6:14 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I tried to eat there for lunch today but the line was way too long at the drive thru.
2012-07-26 6:41 PM

User image

Mojave Desert

As a former Denver-ite, I miss my sandwiches.  I personally wouldn't boycott, but I don't fault anyone for boycotting if that is their view.  I just don't want you to agressively pickett when I go to get my chicken minis. 

I now live in a very conservative town and we don't have one.  I think one would do well here.  We are right on I40 near California and half way between Vegas and Phoenix.  Somebody open one up please!

Besides, maybe we can get all of those sinners in Vegas to visit.   If they don't like Chick Fil A, we currently have an In-n-Out burger.

As far as the marriage thing, Gay people have just as much right to be miserable as anyone else.

2012-07-26 7:51 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I'm afraid so long as the liquor stores keep selling Kraken Rum, and Chick-Fil-A keeps selling Diet Lemonade... I'll keep going to both. And enjoying every Krakenade that comes from that unholy union.
2012-07-26 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4332842

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Chick-Fil-A
Their food, service, and cleanliness has always been first-rate. They're all over the place in NC/SC.

In general, I respect and support their view on closing Sundays and supporting traditional message. If you want to boycott, I respect that too. More food for me and less people in line.

If you support Chick-Fil A, make sure you stop by and show your support this Wednesday, August 1. I imagine they may run out of food.

2012-07-27 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

I can see how they would want to preserve the Sanctity of Marriage. Since Heterosexual couples do such a bang up job of it. Hell, since they have had to fight so d@mn hard for it, they might actually do something like... I dunno... APPRECIATE the vows they take...

(for what it's worth I'm anti-marriage for everyone) :P

2012-07-27 8:00 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I'm vegan, so I don't eat there.   But, there's one across the street from my house and my hubby/daughter LOVE LOVE LOVE Chick fil a.  When we had a German foreign exchange student it also became her all time favorite restaurant!

I could not care less what the opinion of the President is.  I don't even care if the company takes a traditional marriage stance (which they haven't formally).

What I would have a problem with is if they refused to serve gay couples.  They serve everybody wearing clothes.

If you really knew the personal opinions of the leaders of your favorite companies, you would need to keep a scoreboard of where/what brands you would/would not buy.

The whole thing is completely ridiculous.

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2012-07-27 8:03 AM
2012-07-27 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I guess. I feel we should not know his opinion. I am sure there are many companies and many CEOs I don't agree with but they aren't putting their views out there. He didn't have to say anything but he did. I would imagine there are company leaders who are racist but until they say something we have no idea and that's the way it should be.

2012-07-27 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4333297

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Anditrigirl - 2012-07-27 9:00 AM

I'm vegan, so I don't eat there.   But, there's one across the street from my house and my hubby/daughter LOVE LOVE LOVE Chick fil a.  When we had a German foreign exchange student it also became her all time favorite restaurant!

I could not care less what the opinion of the President is.  I don't even care if the company takes a traditional marriage stance (which they haven't formally).

What I would have a problem with is if they refused to serve gay couples.  They serve everybody wearing clothes.

If you really knew the personal opinions of the leaders of your favorite companies, you would need to keep a scoreboard of where/what brands you would/would not buy.

Andi

Its called being an educated consumer.  Just like we want an educated electorate, people should know how and where the products they buy come from and what the company does with that money.   What Mr Cathy does on his own money is his own business.  But CFA actively supports anti-gay marriage groups as a line item charity expense.  Cathy has said that he stands by his beliefs and that is the reason for CFA's success.  Well, that should also be the cause of his failure IMO - at least it is w/ my money.  HE is the one that brought the issue to the forefront and made a political stance in the companies name.  So we are not talking just about the private beliefs of the CEO, but the stance of the company and what it supports.   (snopes

Would you go to a fund raiser of a political with whom you disagree with just because the chicken is good?  When a company takes a political stance, your patronage supports that stance whether you believe in it or not.  Politicians see how people view their opinions with votes.  The only way Cathy (and all companies) can see if his political stance matters is how it affects the bottom line.  

I dont need a special election - I vote w/ my money everyday.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2012-07-27 8:56 AM
2012-07-27 8:54 AM

User image

NC

I'm vegan . . . .

That's completely ridiculous.

2012-07-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4333404

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Goosedog - 2012-07-27 8:54 AM

I'm vegan . . . .

And really hard.  I tried doing a Daniel Fast for 21 days once, which is basically Vegan, and I didn't last 5 days.

2012-07-27 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Anditrigirl - 2012-07-27 8:00 AM

Andi

you pretty much wrote down exactly how i feel. 

too bad he doesn't push his religious beliefs into the poultry industry?  imagine the positive impact a company like chick-fil-a could have if they pushed to improve the chicken industry like chipotle does for the pork industry. 

2012-07-27 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4333391

User image

Alpharetta, GA
ratherbesnowboarding - 2012-07-27 9:46 AM

Andi

Its called being an educated consumer.  Just like we want an educated electorate, people should know how and where the products they buy come from and what the company does with that money.   What Mr Cathy does on his own money is his own business.  But CFA actively supports anti-gay marriage groups as a line item charity expense.  Cathy has said that he stands by his beliefs and that is the reason for CFA's success.  Well, that should also be the cause of his failure IMO - at least it is w/ my money.  HE is the one that brought the issue to the forefront and made a political stance in the companies name.  So we are not talking just about the private beliefs of the CEO, but the stance of the company and what it supports.   (snopes

Would you go to a fund raiser of a political with whom you disagree with just because the chicken is good?  When a company takes a political stance, your patronage supports that stance whether you believe in it or not.  Politicians see how people view their opinions with votes.  The only way Cathy (and all companies) can see if his political stance matters is how it affects the bottom line.  

I dont need a special election - I vote w/ my money everyday.

It's not a political stance - maybe to you - but it's a religious and philisophical stance.

Your last example is so completely silly I won't even respond to it.

If you want to research the personal religious beliefs of every leader of every company before you buy go ahead.  (I am CERTAIN that you don't.)  I don't base my purchases on the personal religious beliefs of the leaders of the company.  And this is a RELIGIOUS belief.  I also don't vote based on RELIGION of the candidate one way or the other: jewish, christian, mormon, islamic I don't care. 

CFA is a private company - show me your proof that they actively donate to pro-traditional marriage groups. (Not that I will look at it because I don't care.)

Andi

2012-07-27 9:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Goosedog - 2012-07-27 9:54 AM

I'm vegan . . . .

Ignorance is bliss, isnt it?

And it's the easiest transition I ever made.

Also helped my triathlon training immensely.  I have actually hit the podium at age 42 (not age group but overall) after 13 years in the sport and I know it's my ability to recover quickly from my workous because I eat only whole foods, plant based.  I can do more training with more volume and more speed now than EVER.

But I'll be glad to "take this outside" to the nutrition forum.

Andi

2012-07-27 9:40 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Anditrigirl - 2012-07-27 8:00 AM

Great point. To the boycotters: where is your scoreboard? I'd be interested to see it. Not because I'm actually interested in the data, but interested to know if you are consistent. 

2012-07-27 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Goosedog - 2012-07-27 9:54 AM

I'm vegan . . . .

Dude, you totally snaked my snark.

2012-07-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4333451

User image

Alpharetta, GA
tuwood - 2012-07-27 10:23 AM
Goosedog - 2012-07-27 8:54 AM

I'm vegan . . . .

And really hard.  I tried doing a Daniel Fast for 21 days once, which is basically Vegan, and I didn't last 5 days.

Now that's ridiculous.  I know what the Daniel fast is basically... you found it hard and tried to fast at the same time.  Gee imagine... I wouldn't use that fast as your only opinion on eating whole foods/plant based. That fast is not meant to be a conversion to plant based eating - it's a religious fast as much as anything.  It's supposed to be hard!

Andi

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Chick-Fil- Rss Feed  

of 9