BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-05-24 7:21 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by TankBoy

I think I mentioned it here a long time ago, but there has been a fair amount of interest in our neighborhood about starting up a youth triathlon team, and a group of parents have been after me to coach it. I eventually succumbed and said I would do it as soon as school was out. We had out first practice yesterday and we actually had 10 kids show up! It was a lot of fun, and the kids seemed to like it too. We did about 20 minutes of orientation and Q&A with the parents and kids, worked on proper warm up, and then did some gamey-type running and bike handling skills. I gave them each a sort of "maximum-not-to-exceed" workout schedule for each week leading up to the first team race (6 weeks away) and then for now we are going to meet once per week as a team and work mostly on the ABCs: Agility, Balance, and Coordination. Most of the parents are also runners, cyclists and/or triathletes of some sort - the biggest issue I can see right up front is the parents thinking the kids should train like little adults, so I think the parents will need more "training" than the kids, actually. I suppose those of you who are involved in youth sports are more than familiar. We will work on that. The good news is the kids had a blast, and I think the parents were even surprised how fun it was. It will be interesting to see how it sticks through the summer. If it works out the plan is to do something more formal next year, and probably affiliate with a larger youth organization.

Good on you, Rusty!

That's a great idea to get going locally and it will be fun watching them develop...so true, regarding the necessity of teaching parents along with the kids-expectations are often so unreasonable, from the adult side of things.

My 2 kids (now 17 and 19) are both considering doing a sprint triathlon-despite their busy work/school/personal lives.
I was thrilled when they swam the lake at IMLP, without wetsuits, just for fun, and got a lot of looks from the triathletes planning to race. My wife was not as thrilled as I was, being worried for their safety. But they did 1.2 miles with no problem-much further than they had ever swam continuously prior to that.

Oh to be 18 again, and close to, but not yet at, your physical peak...

Let us know how the coaching goes. I think ABC is a good topic. Finding some way to make it fun is the key for kids.
Best of luck to you!

2014-05-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Save it for Tuesday and go outside. Way too much thinking for Memorial Day Weekend. 

Ha!  No kidding.  Ran with Kim this morning, which was nice, but needed a day off the bike (thought about it, though!).  Then it was a "Lost Marathon" at our daughter's request (her birthday today). 

While it's been years since I watched Lost, and rather liked the series, I just couldn't sit through FOUR episodes!  Even when there are no commercials...

2014-05-25 5:56 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-25 5:58 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

I did a steady state endurance ride with a short transition run yesterday.

Today is long run followed by multiple parties for the long weekend.

What's on tap for you folks?

PS I just signed up for a half iron... Musselman!

T minus 2 hours to race time.

When is musselman?

2014-05-25 6:00 AM
in reply to: axteraa

2014-05-25 6:10 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

I did a steady state endurance ride with a short transition run yesterday.

Today is long run followed by multiple parties for the long weekend.

What's on tap for you folks?

PS I just signed up for a half iron... Musselman!

T minus 2 hours to race time.

When is musselman?

July 13. 5 weeks from IMMT.

Good luck today!

Goal time?

Under 1:30.  I think it's going to be tight.

2014-05-25 10:19 AM

2014-05-25 12:30 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well, that sucked.  Things didn't go my way - I'm not sure what my official time was but it was right around 1:36.  I was just missing a gear and couldn't push the pace like I wanted.  I was on pace through 6k but by then I already knew it wasn't going to happen.

I'll write up a RR later but now I need food!

2014-05-25 1:10 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, that sucked.  Things didn't go my way - I'm not sure what my official time was but it was right around 1:36.  I was just missing a gear and couldn't push the pace like I wanted.  I was on pace through 6k but by then I already knew it wasn't going to happen.

Sorry Arend - that sucks.  I know you've put in the work, so to have one of "those days" on race day is disheartening (I know).  

Buuuuuuut, that is still a very good time, and you're certainly set up well for the tri season.  I'm sure that both the training for this and the effort itself will pay off over the next months.

Now get some food and enjoy the post race!

Matt

2014-05-25 1:21 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

85 mile ride yesterday in 4:21 but the wind just seemed to suck the life out of me....tough ride. First time on the TT bike this spring since IM AZ, so it wasn't a comfortable ride trying to get used to the more aggressive aero again.   Followed by 30 minute transition run.   2:30 ride and 30 min run on tap for today after getting some corn and potatoes planted in the garden before the t-storms hit tonight.  Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend (in U.S.).

2014-05-25 3:12 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Sorry Arend - that sucks.  I know you've put in the work, so to have one of "those days" on race day is disheartening (I know).  

Buuuuuuut, that is still a very good time, and you're certainly set up well for the tri season.  I'm sure that both the training for this and the effort itself will pay off over the next months.

Matt

Thanks Matt.  I do take lots of positives out of it.  For one thing, I am capable of running 1:36 on a bad day.  It wasn't that long ago that I had to bust my azz to run a 1:49.

2014-05-25 5:22 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Aw, heck - really sorry to read that Arend. So it goes sometimes. Looking forward to reading the breakdown when you get time for it. Enjoy the food - you earned it regardless!

2014-05-25 5:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
...at home in The ATL

I finally got the chance to write a rate report for the Olympic last weekend (some of you have already seen it) but I updated it with photos. Everybody likes photos, right?!?

Link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=516800

*Edited to fix the link.

Edited by TankBoy 2014-05-25 5:25 PM
2014-05-25 9:44 PM

Elite
Ontario

Sorry Arend, thought this was going to be your race.  As was said, your running has just come forward leaps and bounds.  That sub 1:30 is just the matter of the right day.

2014-05-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
Ontario

Slow day with the US holiday I guess...

A couple of purchases on the weekend for me.  I bought the new Hoka Rapa Nui road shoes, as I wanted something a little lower profile for racing.  Since making the switch to Hokas last year, it's really made a difference for my calves, and I'm hoping to continue that success with these shoes.

I also got a pair of new bike shorts as I had a team credit with the store, and actually made the jump from a medium short down to a small.  My weight hasn't really changed, but I've noticed for a long time that my shorts always seem to slide on me a bit (just a bit), and this gets uncomfortable later in the ride.  Took them for a 2 hour ride yesterday, and the narrow padding seemed to make a lot of difference and the shorts were just a touch more snug which seemed just right.  After 6 years of consistent riding I also invested in some Chamois cream just a couple of weeks ago, and I hadn't realized what I'd been missing till now.

You guys race shorter races with Chamois cream?  Just wondering.

2014-05-26 1:47 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by GoFaster

Never in races.  I used to use it for long training rides but just got out of the habit of using it.

2014-05-26 3:40 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Never in races.  I used to use it for long training rides but just got out of the habit of using it.

I do, but just out of habit, I think. I don't think it does anything special on shorter races/rides.

On a side note, a number of years ago I got the "Eurostyle" by mistake. Good Lord, WTF is that all about?????

2014-05-26 4:28 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I don't get on the bike without chamois cream....period.  I had so many issues for well over a year.  Once, I was getting a bike fit to help address those issues and in that time, I managed to chafe because I didn't use it.  So my standing rule is that if bike shorts are going on, chamois cream is too.  

I typically use bag balm instead of some water-soluble chamois cream.  Maybe I wouldn't have the issues now that I used to, but I'm not taking the chance. 

My tri group did a ride-swim-ride session today, where we ride ~23 miles to a lake, swim, then ride back (though I didn't have quite enough time to ride back, so I got picked up at the lake).  Anyways, I realized that if I want to do non-wetsuit races, a swim skin is going to be a necessity.  My tri top is like a parachute when I swim in it.  And a lot of TX races are not wetsuit legal, so I guess there's yet another thing to purchase

2014-05-26 4:29 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sorry to hear it wasn't your day, but you've made huge strides....and a 1:36 is certainly not shabby!

2014-05-26 5:03 PM

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Birkierunner

I do, but just out of habit, I think. I don't think it does anything special on shorter races/rides.

On a side note, a number of years ago I got the "Eurostyle" by mistake. Good Lord, WTF is that all about?????

Ha!   Eurostyle is awesome...  just so long as you don't slip and get it on the boys.   If you weren't awake before, you are now!!!   Actually I use DZ Nuts

Had an interesting workout this morning.   Short course T2 practice.   15 ish minute ride with a nice climb, followed by 1 mile, 1/4 of it at race pace, 3/4 ez, X4.   Was harder than I expected!

Edited by ChrisM 2014-05-26 5:05 PM
2014-05-26 5:05 PM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Thanks Matt.  I do take lots of positives out of it.  For one thing, I am capable of running 1:36 on a bad day.  It wasn't that long ago that I had to bust my azz to run a 1:49.

Sometimes hard to get perspective, but sounds like you've got it.  Only means the gal is still out there      Had a yoga instructor once (when I did yoga) say "don't worry about getting the pose right immediately, I'm just going to give you something harder."   So look at it this way, ypu've put off the 1:20 goal for a bit now 

2014-05-26 5:47 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
No worries about the time, Arend. Progress is never a straight line and even when you have better fitness, sometimes there are race day issues (weather/illness//fatigue) that conspire to ruin any time goal.

Your best is still out there, my friend, believe it.

My bike is now race ready---with a new wheelbuilder cover, new battery in recently not working powertap hub, new black water bottle rack for the tube, conti's front and back (23/25), zipp 808's front and back with decals removed and tape covering up any thing that I didn't find attractive on my 2012 Cervelo P2.

Gotta look different this year. If only I had an engine...

Edited by dtoce 2014-05-26 5:56 PM

(My Stealth Cervelo-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
My Stealth Cervelo-2014.jpg (3499KB - 6 downloads)
2014-05-26 9:03 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by dtoce No worries about the time, Arend. Progress is never a straight line and even when you have better fitness, sometimes there are race day issues (weather/illness//fatigue) that conspire to ruin any time goal. Your best is still out there, my friend, believe it. My bike is now race ready---with a new wheelbuilder cover, new battery in recently not working powertap hub, new black water bottle rack for the tube, conti's front and back (23/25), zipp 808's front and back with decals removed and tape covering up any thing that I didn't find attractive on my 2012 Cervelo P2. Gotta look different this year. If only I had an engine...

Sexxeh.

That's is a bad-azzzzzzz look!

Matt

2014-05-27 7:20 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great looking ride Dale!

2014-05-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

My tri group did a ride-swim-ride session today, where we ride ~23 miles to a lake, swim, then ride back (though I didn't have quite enough time to ride back, so I got picked up at the lake).  Anyways, I realized that if I want to do non-wetsuit races, a swim skin is going to be a necessity.  My tri top is like a parachute when I swim in it.  And a lot of TX races are not wetsuit legal, so I guess there's yet another thing to purchase

That's interesting. Does it do ok on the bike? I've had them balloon out a bit in the first couple minutes of the bike, when I'm still soaked from the swim, but they come in tighter once they dry some.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38116 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73537 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.