BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I've never had long training runs. I don't care for idea of Gu after Waffle after Gu, and these seem simple to try. Time to experiment http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-fuels?cm_mmc=Twitter...

I have been doing 1 power bar chew every other mile starting at mile 2.  When I need a break from these I take a bite from a bonk bar.  Seems to work far=irly well.

It can be a chore to find out what your tummy will be happy with for long runs.  I've found what works for ME is to have a couple of PowerBar chews every 45 minutes or so, a PayDay mini bar (thank you Halloween sized stuff!) at 2hrs as a treat to myself, a salt tab every hour (or 1 every 30 mins if it's ridiculously hot/humid out), and drinking water to thirst.  

However, take the above with a grain of salt as the only 2 marathons I've done have been at the end of IMs and I also LOVED having pretzels, coke and chicken broth on the course as the day wore on.   

2013-11-12 11:28 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I found an interesting blog. Curious what others (especially those more medically inclined) think of this or if you've read about it before. Read it all if you open it...I found some of my questions answered at the end. http://athleticmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/why-ice-and-anti-i...

That's so funny, I was just reading this guy's blog a few days ago!  I forwarded it to my massage therapist/exercise physiologist person (if you read my log you know i love this woman!) and she said she had read his stuff before and "And there is much debate in the medical/athletic circles about icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories. No one seems to have the definitive answer, so I go with what I believe has been helpful to me. Who knows??? "  I have no particular opinion on the issue.

2013-11-12 11:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by cdban66

For the record, Judi is awesome!

I agree!

Totally agree.    

2013-11-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I found an interesting blog. Curious what others (especially those more medically inclined) think of this or if you've read about it before. Read it all if you open it...I found some of my questions answered at the end. http://athleticmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/why-ice-and-anti-i...

That's so funny, I was just reading this guy's blog a few days ago!  I forwarded it to my massage therapist/exercise physiologist person (if you read my log you know i love this woman!) and she said she had read his stuff before and "And there is much debate in the medical/athletic circles about icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories. No one seems to have the definitive answer, so I go with what I believe has been helpful to me. Who knows??? "  I have no particular opinion on the issue. 

Interesting read, but the question that was't answered (and I would have liked it to be) was... what does the author think the "right" method is for dealing with chronic and/or acute injuries if ice and anti-inflammatories are apparently detrimental to the healing process?  

2013-11-12 11:47 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ponderingfox

So, it turns out my coach is Starkowicz's coach.  That probably explains the extra bike work I'm doing.

That is seriously cool!

2013-11-12 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I've never had long training runs. I don't care for idea of Gu after Waffle after Gu, and these seem simple to try. Time to experiment http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-fuels?cm_mmc=Twitter...

I have been doing 1 power bar chew every other mile starting at mile 2.  When I need a break from these I take a bite from a bonk bar.  Seems to work far=irly well.

This is what I used for RnR Denver. Other than choking once or twice it worked pretty well.

2013-11-12 12:07 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Interesting read, but the question that was't answered (and I would have liked it to be) was... what does the author think the "right" method is for dealing with chronic and/or acute injuries if ice and anti-inflammatories are apparently detrimental to the healing process?  

"I ask health care professionals to do one thing, just try it. Pick one client with chronic musculoskeletal pain, skip the ice, skip the NSAIDs and try to use light exercise as a repair stimulus. Then, try skipping the ice on a client with an acute mild injury."---kind of answered?

I guess the reason this caught my eye is that both pediatricians we've had for the kids have recommended not to use fever reducers unless we felt really necessary and that  trip to the hospital would be next step. Reducing the fever doesn't help the body fight off what's attacking it. Seems like it could carry over to what's happening when there's injury/swelling/heat.

If nothing else, it makes me want to research more

2013-11-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

"I ask health care professionals to do one thing, just try it. Pick one client with chronic musculoskeletal pain, skip the ice, skip the NSAIDs and try to use light exercise as a repair stimulus. Then, try skipping the ice on a client with an acute mild injury."---kind of answered?

I guess the reason this caught my eye is that both pediatricians we've had for the kids have recommended not to use fever reducers unless we felt really necessary and that  trip to the hospital would be next step. Reducing the fever doesn't help the body fight off what's attacking it. Seems like it could carry over to what's happening when there's injury/swelling/heat.

If nothing else, it makes me want to research more

I would like to know more too, but have not been using ice or anti-infamatory meds for awhile. Maybe a couple years now, haven't tracked it exactly. Basically only when something is really injured, though this may be rethinking even then. Regular use of these is too much. I've heard some say only after say the long run, but that's still regular use. Back off somehow if extra recovery aids are necessary. Fix it so you can sleep decently or be ready for work the next day, but make an adjustment for next time. Something that helps to understand is to at least partially separate the notion of feeling better equaling being recovered. They don't always overlap each other fully. Then the idea of training adaptations. The idea is to improve performance. Doing more work sooner or feeling better sooner doesn't necessarily mean that the adaptations took place, or that one got as much as they could have from it as it's possible to still see gains.

2013-11-12 12:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

It can be a chore to find out what your tummy will be happy with for long runs.  I've found what works for ME is to have a couple of PowerBar chews every 45 minutes or so, a PayDay mini bar (thank you Halloween sized stuff!) at 2hrs as a treat to myself, a salt tab every hour (or 1 every 30 mins if it's ridiculously hot/humid out), and drinking water to thirst.  

However, take the above with a grain of salt as the only 2 marathons I've done have been at the end of IMs and I also LOVED having pretzels, coke and chicken broth on the course as the day wore on.   

Ok now I just want a payday bar.

I've got this book on my holiday list - anyone use it?
http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-On-Go/dp/1937715000
2013-11-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by cdban66

For the record, Judi is awesome!

Seriously awesome.  

2013-11-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Ok now I just want a payday bar. I've got this book on my holiday list - anyone use it? http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-On-Go/dp/1937715000

Just bought it this weekend at a tri store in Phoenix (they are so much better there). I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I'm excited to do so.

2013-11-12 12:58 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I typically do 3 gummy bears every mile.  I start craving salt - like pretzels - later in the run too.

2013-11-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

Just bought it this weekend at a tri store in Phoenix (they are so much better there). I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I'm excited to do so.

I'm seriously addicted to peanut butter so the recipe that was in the USATriathlon magazine this quarter is high on my list:
page 19 http://content.yudu.com/A2ifov/USATriathlonFall13/resources/index.h...
2013-11-12 1:20 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Recently, on my long runs, I've been taking Bounty Bars by Mars. I don't know if you have them in the US, or whether they are called something different. They are little bars of shredded coconut encased in chocolate. I find them easy to eat whilst jogging because the coconut makes them moist. Packed full of calories with a good mix of carbs, proteins and fats. I don't know how they be in the heat you get, but they work for me and don't melt even when close to my body. For savoury, I carry a couple of sticks if peperami.

I think it's really smart to start thinking about long run nutrition early on so that you can try different things. So, nice work!

It's totally alright to skip the gels and waffles and junk and eat real food, despite what the marketing might try and tell you. What they are generally offering is convenience, and while valuable in some cases, it's not everyone's priority.

Just try some stuff as you start to ramp up mileage and see what works for you. Don't forget to be smart about what you eat the days leading up and pre-run as well. Maybe even keep a food log so you can note the things that work and the things that don't. 

Not gonna lie, it's not real food but I've totally eaten a bag of mcnuggets, a foot long sub and a taco on a long run. 

2013-11-12 1:44 PM

User image

Master

I <3 PB as well!  Bought some PB2 recently, but finishing up another jar first. Have you tried it? A friend recommended it because it's 13 fat cal vs 140 per 2 TBSP of "regular" PB since there's no oil. Carbs and protein slightly less than regular, but I'd just have another serving  

2013-11-12 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I

The PB2 powder goes nicely in the Protein Pancakes (or any other pancake "mix" i suppose) for a nice peanut-buttery flavor.

ETA: not sure why the whole quote didn't show up

Edited by rrrunner 2013-11-12 1:55 PM

2013-11-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I <3 PB as well!  Bought some PB2 recently, but finishing up another jar first. Have you tried it? A friend recommended it because it's 13 fat cal vs 140 per 2 TBSP of "regular" PB since there's no oil. Carbs and protein slightly less than regular, but I'd just have another serving  

EVERYDAY in my protein shakes!

banana
ice
water
syntha 6 Vanilla
pb2!

(and I don't measure, I just kinda dump it in LOL)

another side note - our 14 year old kitchen aid blender just died so we went to Costco and bought the Ninja. I'm LOVING the little shake cups! BLEND-->DRINK! WHEEEEE
http://www.costco.com/Ninja%C2%AE-Ultra-Kitchen-System%E2%84%A2-.pr...

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-12 2:04 PM
2013-11-12 2:07 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I don't even want to hear about PB2.  Stupid nut allergy 

2013-11-12 2:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ok now I just want a payday bar. I've got this book on my holiday list - anyone use it? http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-On-Go/dp/1937715000

I haven't read it, but have been very much interested in looking more at Skratch Labs work.

2013-11-12 2:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

I haven't read it, but have been very much interested in looking more at Skratch Labs work.

They write quite a bit about Skratch in the beginning of the book. I must admit, I didn't read it.

2013-11-12 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I signed up for a trail marathon -- April 5, 2014. I've got plenty of time, right??

Part of the trail I've run before (the 4 water crossing part). The other parts are closed to the public. One reason I want to run this race is that there are some cool things to see, and I want to see them! Think rock formations, canyons, and petroglyphs.

2013-11-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KansasMom

I signed up for a trail marathon -- April 5, 2014. I've got plenty of time, right??

Part of the trail I've run before (the 4 water crossing part). The other parts are closed to the public. One reason I want to run this race is that there are some cool things to see, and I want to see them! Think rock formations, canyons, and petroglyphs.

that sounds sooooo awesome and you have plenty of time to be ready. STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-11-12 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

that sounds sooooo awesome and you have plenty of time to be ready. STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build smart and enjoy the trip!

2013-11-12 2:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Yep. Plenty. I'd start working on a nice solid base now though. Then you can ramp into a plan in December. 

2013-11-12 3:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

All great reasons to run a race, Felicia!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.