BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by cdban66

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping after it.  I don't often mention my younger sister.  She is mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged.  She has been the source of quite a bit of our attention lately, as my parents age. We are working on a future housing option.  When you mix together the variety of organizations and the needs they have before taking care of someone, well, it can be an endurance event of a whole different manner. So, while I have been somewhat less than engaged lately, it has been for a good reason. 

Enjoy the weekend, no matter what it may bring and at some point I hope you all take a moment to look around and appreciate what you have in your life, be it health, family, or anything else.

And that, Chris, is why I like you and respect you and am glad to know you.

^^^ This.  Your outlook on life is an inspiration to me.  Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

2016-05-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella This happens about 3 or 4 times a year, but it still creeps me out/ makes me a little concerned. I scared up 4 turkey buzzards on my runch today and they started circling above me. I always wonder if I look that bad running that the vultures are waiting for me to finish dying, so they can pick the carcass clean.

Ha ha ha, I'm laughing because I always talk to buzzards/vultures when I see them circling above while I'm running, telling them I'm not quite dead yet!  Or I tease my husband (if he's with me), telling him they're coming for him.

Hopefully you don't look too tasty/dead to them  Just don't trip...

Edited by melbo55 2016-05-13 1:25 PM
2016-05-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

We are headed into a busy racing season from now until about  early July!

May 14-15
Sean - Ironman Texas on Saturday
Monica - Ironman Texas on Saturday
Dave - MEC 10k trail run on Saturday
Melanie - Mud Run on Saturday
Janyne - Cary Du on Saturday
Mary G - Tower Triathlon (Sprint) at Niles YMCA on Sunday
Tom S - Wilmslow Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - under the weather
Jen - under the weather
Tom A - lower body injury (don't know the specifics so I'm going with the hockey lingo!)

Congratulations to Judi on Thing One's graduation this weekend!

Good luck racers!  I have a 'practice' Olympic on Sunday.  Just about 10 of us heading out, not official or anything, but should be fun.  I had my first OWS of the season this morning and the lake is just fine 

DL'ers keep heading in the right direction m'kay?

2016-05-13 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather
Tom A - lower body injury (don't know the specifics so I'm going with the hockey lingo!)

Nice to see the RL is longer than the DL!

Race well, heal up and I hope Judi has a great time this weekend!!!!

2016-05-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping after it.  I don't often mention my younger sister.  She is mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged.  She has been the source of quite a bit of our attention lately, as my parents age. We are working on a future housing option.  When you mix together the variety of organizations and the needs they have before taking care of someone, well, it can be an endurance event of a whole different manner. So, while I have been somewhat less than engaged lately, it has been for a good reason. 

Enjoy the weekend, no matter what it may bring and at some point I hope you all take a moment to look around and appreciate what you have in your life, be it health, family, or anything else.

And that, Chris, is why I like you and respect you and am glad to know you.

^^^ This.  Your outlook on life is an inspiration to me.  Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

Ya'll are too kind. I really have been trying to work on my perspective lately, because that is one of the few thigs I can control or so it seems. I only threw that out there to let you know where (or what) I've been lately. I think there are tons of us quietly going through the same type of crud. 

Thank you very much!

2016-05-13 1:48 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck racers!  I have a 'practice' Olympic on Sunday.  Just about 10 of us heading out, not official or anything, but should be fun.  I had my first OWS of the season this morning and the lake is just fine 

DL'ers keep heading in the right direction m'kay?

Have fun!

2016-05-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella This happens about 3 or 4 times a year, but it still creeps me out/ makes me a little concerned. I scared up 4 turkey buzzards on my runch today and they started circling above me. I always wonder if I look that bad running that the vultures are waiting for me to finish dying, so they can pick the carcass clean.

Ha ha ha, I'm laughing because I always talk to buzzards/vultures when I see them circling above while I'm running, telling them I'm not quite dead yet!  Or I tease my husband (if he's with me), telling him they're coming for him.

That's funny! I don't know that I've ever experienced a buzzard on my run/ride. However, there are plenty of coyotes that would probably be very interested if I ever stayed down too long.

2016-05-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

{{hugs}} to you and your family!
2016-05-13 2:27 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck racers! Remember to smile for those cameras! Soak in the moment and remember everything you did to get you to that starting line.

Heal up, DLers!
2016-05-13 3:01 PM

User image

I'm back from the dead! I decided to take some time off to study for and take my final exams, which I think paid off. Allergies also hit me hard this season, but I think it was great timing considering I was also taking time off for final. I do have a 5k tomorrow that I forgot to put on my race schedule, where I'm going to try and break 20 min. for the first time. My PR is 20:48 from cross country season, but I'm in better running shape now than I was then and this course will be flat. Interesting story::last week I looked on the race website to check it out a little bit more and I thought I had found that the course record was 20:58. My initial thoughts were, "Wow! I could break the course record and get first overall for the first time ever!". To my disappointment, I checked last year's results and found out that it was a typo by six whole minutes. I was a little disappointed, but I realized it will still be a flat, fast race where I can PR and maybe get top 10.
2016-05-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by CRFTX2001

I'm back from the dead! I decided to take some time off to study for and take my final exams, which I think paid off. Allergies also hit me hard this season, but I think it was great timing considering I was also taking time off for final. I do have a 5k tomorrow that I forgot to put on my race schedule, where I'm going to try and break 20 min. for the first time. My PR is 20:48 from cross country season, but I'm in better running shape now than I was then and this course will be flat. Interesting story::last week I looked on the race website to check it out a little bit more and I thought I had found that the course record was 20:58. My initial thoughts were, "Wow! I could break the course record and get first overall for the first time ever!". To my disappointment, I checked last year's results and found out that it was a typo by six whole minutes. I was a little disappointed, but I realized it will still be a flat, fast race where I can PR and maybe get top 10.

Glad you're back and DONE with finals
Good luck with your race tomorrow. I bet you'll have the PR!

2016-05-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck racers! Remember to smile for those cameras! Soak in the moment and remember everything you did to get you to that starting line.

Heal up, DLers!

Good luck Racers! Have fun IM'ers!
I have plenty of pre-race anxiety before my first tri this season hoping I did not forget how to do it

Feel better D:Lers!
2016-05-13 4:03 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks Pod! Yes I'm 2108.

I was pretty pissed about the bike course for a while, ok who am I kidding I still am. But I've put it behind me. I will wear the finishers shirt if I'm lucky enough to finish, but I will not be buying any additional IMTX gear. Not giving them anymore money is my only protesting option at this point lol.

As far as the race goes, summer arrived on Wednesday so any dreams of reasonable temps/humidity is out the window. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon so let's hope for that!! I have times 'Id love to hit, but with the heat my only real goal at this point is to have an enjoyable day so I will not be pushing it. I've never run father than 20 miles before after all.

Race well other racers!

Chris - we already knew you were a great man. Way to step up to the plate and take care of family first.

Edited by Jet Black 2016-05-13 4:04 PM
2016-05-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Jet Black

I was pretty pissed about the bike course for a while, ok who am I kidding I still am. But I've put it behind me. I will wear the finishers shirt if I'm lucky enough to finish, but I will not be buying any additional IMTX gear. Not giving them anymore money is my only protesting option at this point lol.

As far as the race goes, summer arrived on Wednesday so any dreams of reasonable temps/humidity is out the window. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon so let's hope for that!! I have times 'Id love to hit, but with the heat my only real goal at this point is to have an enjoyable day so I will not be pushing it. I've never run father than 20 miles before after all.

Race well other racers!

Chris - we already knew you were a great man. Way to step up to the plate and take care of family first.

Wait, Sean, is this your first full IM...??
2016-05-13 4:26 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marysia83

Race well other racers!

It was supposed to be.
2016-05-13 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 I'm back from the dead! I decided to take some time off to study for and take my final exams, which I think paid off. Allergies also hit me hard this season, but I think it was great timing considering I was also taking time off for final. I do have a 5k tomorrow that I forgot to put on my race schedule, where I'm going to try and break 20 min. for the first time. My PR is 20:48 from cross country season, but I'm in better running shape now than I was then and this course will be flat. Interesting story::last week I looked on the race website to check it out a little bit more and I thought I had found that the course record was 20:58. My initial thoughts were, "Wow! I could break the course record and get first overall for the first time ever!". To my disappointment, I checked last year's results and found out that it was a typo by six whole minutes. I was a little disappointed, but I realized it will still be a flat, fast race where I can PR and maybe get top 10.

Great job! Go get that PR!!!

2016-05-13 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by Jet Black Thanks Pod! Yes I'm 2108. I was pretty pissed about the bike course for a while, ok who am I kidding I still am. But I've put it behind me. I will wear the finishers shirt if I'm lucky enough to finish, but I will not be buying any additional IMTX gear. Not giving them anymore money is my only protesting option at this point lol. As far as the race goes, summer arrived on Wednesday so any dreams of reasonable temps/humidity is out the window. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon so let's hope for that!! I have times 'Id love to hit, but with the heat my only real goal at this point is to have an enjoyable day so I will not be pushing it. I've never run father than 20 miles before after all. Race well other racers! Chris - we already knew you were a great man. Way to step up to the plate and take care of family first.
It was supposed to be.

Great attitude Sean. "Race" what the day gives ya.  We'll be stalking, and pulling for ya!

2016-05-13 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black Thanks Pod! Yes I'm 2108. I was pretty pissed about the bike course for a while, ok who am I kidding I still am. But I've put it behind me. I will wear the finishers shirt if I'm lucky enough to finish, but I will not be buying any additional IMTX gear. Not giving them anymore money is my only protesting option at this point lol. As far as the race goes, summer arrived on Wednesday so any dreams of reasonable temps/humidity is out the window. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon so let's hope for that!! I have times 'Id love to hit, but with the heat my only real goal at this point is to have an enjoyable day so I will not be pushing it. I've never run father than 20 miles before after all. Race well other racers! Chris - we already knew you were a great man. Way to step up to the plate and take care of family first.

Good luck Sean.  I've really enjoyed watching you progress through the distances over the last couple of years and I'm excited for you.

My only advice to you is listen to your body not your watch when you get off the bike and try to stay comfortable as long into the run as you can.  Don't be afraid to take short walk breaks early if needed.  Short walk breaks beat a protracted death march.  Enjoy the experience. 

Edited by popsracer 2016-05-13 7:36 PM
2016-05-13 5:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 I'm back from the dead! I decided to take some time off to study for and take my final exams, which I think paid off. Allergies also hit me hard this season, but I think it was great timing considering I was also taking time off for final. I do have a 5k tomorrow that I forgot to put on my race schedule, where I'm going to try and break 20 min. for the first time. My PR is 20:48 from cross country season, but I'm in better running shape now than I was then and this course will be flat. Interesting story::last week I looked on the race website to check it out a little bit more and I thought I had found that the course record was 20:58. My initial thoughts were, "Wow! I could break the course record and get first overall for the first time ever!". To my disappointment, I checked last year's results and found out that it was a typo by six whole minutes. I was a little disappointed, but I realized it will still be a flat, fast race where I can PR and maybe get top 10.

My first thought was wondering how difficult that course might be as similar thoughts have come up for me as well. I've had a few 10ks that took about 7-12' longer than an equivalent flat ground effort. Seems the typo would answer that though. Good luck!

2016-05-13 6:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats on getting through finals successfully!  Have a great race tomorrow, do your best but have fun doing it, too.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

2016-05-13 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Race well other racers!

I have been reading about the course debacle and I can certainty see that it would be frustrating. Just remember that everyone has to race the same course and I certainly think that its a huge accomplishment to arrive ready to race. Good luck

2016-05-13 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
double post

Edited by DaveL 2016-05-13 7:15 PM
2016-05-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rrrunner

That's funny! I don't know that I've ever experienced a buzzard on my run/ride. However, there are plenty of coyotes that would probably be very interested if I ever stayed down too long.

Coyotes scare me a little bit. If I ever come across one I am sure I would run a lot faster, trip, knock myself out and get eaten.
2016-05-13 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

ood luck to all the racers, including Mary and Connor. Have fun.

I believe that Tom may have a stress fracture in his foot. I think that Yanti is slowly getting better, in that she managed to train at least once this week that I know of, I think she gets to Australia on Wednesday.
2016-05-14 5:22 AM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Good luck to all the racers this weekend!

I'm here at Ironman Texas and ready to cheer for Sean and Monica. I'll post pics and updates of them if I can but sometimes it's hard to get good cell signal with that many people around.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.