BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-30 1:15 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by rrrunner

2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery

Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery. Please check the event's official website for updates: ironman.com/chattanooga

Race Date: September 24, 2017

Woo hoo!

2017-01-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Those of you registered for an IM event. Did you get the $90 insurance? I did but have 10 days to cancel. From what I can tell it'll cover travel problems and injury or sickness. It'll cover if the event is stopped after it starts but not if it doesn't start for weather reasons.

Thoughts?

2017-01-30 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Those of you registered for an IM event. Did you get the $90 insurance? I did but have 10 days to cancel. From what I can tell it'll cover travel problems and injury or sickness. It'll cover if the event is stopped after it starts but not if it doesn't start for weather reasons.

Thoughts?

Yay!!!!

Yes, I always get the insurance.

Well except this one time when I signed up for Ironman 70.3 Oceanside because the website wasn't offering it at sign up. Then I missed the email a few weeks later. And then I got sick. Then, while on cough syrup with codeine I accidentally paid for our hotel in full (non refundable). Now I have 8 weeks to figure this out...

Get the insurance!!!! You may be out $90 but that's better than plane fare, hotel fare, and race fees. Also, your credit card may cover everything that the insurance does not. Check their policy.

Edited by fortissimo 2017-01-30 1:43 PM
2017-01-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by StaceyK ok a shoe question. How worn do you let the tread on your shoes get before you replace them? I know that some people say that you should get 500 mile out of a pair of shoes, but is this at all realistic? I was looking at the soles of my older pair of shoes yesterday and they are fairly worn across the ball of my foot, but I have only done about 260km (160ish mile) in them. This seems really low. Pretty much all of my running is done on fairly chunky chip sealed roads and I am a bit of an elephant when I run. Do you think that this will make the soles wear out more quickly?
'

I'm a big guy (~200 lbs.) and I go through running shoes like crazy.  Depends on the brand and model.  My NB 1260s only last about 150 running miles and the 993s last a little bit longer (but they're TANKS).  I would think shoes would wear out a little quicker on rougher pavement.

2017-01-30 1:47 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo

Thoughts?

Yay!!!! Yes, I always get the insurance. Well except this one time when I signed up for Ironman 70.3 Oceanside because the website wasn't offering it at sign up. Then I missed the email a few weeks later. And then I got sick. Then, while on cough syrup with codeine I accidentally paid for our hotel in full (non refundable). Now I have 8 weeks to figure this out... Get the insurance!!!! You may be out $90 but that's better than plane fare, hotel fare, and race fees. Also, your credit card may cover everything that the insurance does not. Check their policy.

Hadn't thought about hotel etc. Thanks for the input.

2017-01-30 1:48 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee A Family Bakery. Please check the event's official website for updates: ironman.com/chattanooga

2017-01-30 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thoughts?

First,  woo hoo for signing up!!

Second, I did not get the insurance, but now wish I had as i am still a long way from being able to run or bike!  I'd much rather not need it and be out $90 then need it and be out $700+!!  

2017-01-30 2:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Little Debbie, Little Debbie!  Congrats!  The manatee meetup is worth the price of the race 

2017-01-30 5:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK ok a shoe question. How worn do you let the tread on your shoes get before you replace them? I know that some people say that you should get 500 mile out of a pair of shoes, but is this at all realistic? I was looking at the soles of my older pair of shoes yesterday and they are fairly worn across the ball of my foot, but I have only done about 260km (160ish mile) in them. This seems really low. Pretty much all of my running is done on fairly chunky chip sealed roads and I am a bit of an elephant when I run. Do you think that this will make the soles wear out more quickly?

I get around 400 miles out of a pair of running shoes. At some point after 300 miles, my feet, knees and shins let me know that they are wearing down but I stretch to 400 miles. By that time they literally have holes in them. 160 miles does seem really low.

2017-01-30 5:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ugh double posted. I'll go sit in the corner 

Edited by lisac957 2017-01-30 5:12 PM
2017-01-30 6:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Woo hoo!

Cool!

2017-01-30 7:46 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!
2017-01-30 7:51 PM

User image

Expert

Thoughts?

I didn't buy the insurance, I'm just cheap like that. Plus I decided short of my own death (which was one of the few bad things that didn't happen last year) I was doing it.
2017-01-30 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
I'm typically between 300 and 500 miles on my shoes. Mostly in the 350-400 range, though, depending on brand.

I don't have a great system to determine when to switch, other than a subjective "flat" feeling compared to when they were new, miles, and looking at the tread (I don't line when it's gone entirely through a layer and into a sub-layer, though I'll still run a bit past that if they don't feel broken down).

The tread thing is less about cushion/strength and more a possibly silly concern about changing my mechanics on ground strike (a consistent delta to flat).

YMMV - literally (ha ha)

Matt
2017-01-31 7:17 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by lisac957

I get around 400 miles out of a pair of running shoes. At some point after 300 miles, my feet, knees and shins let me know that they are wearing down but I stretch to 400 miles. By that time they literally have holes in them. 160 miles does seem really low.

oh I should clarify, my shoes are worn but they aren't close to worn out - I reckon I will get another 100k out of them if not more, noticing the tread just prompted the question.
2017-01-31 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
For those of you that are interested I wanted to update you on how the January "Turtle Challenge" went.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about my mum, my myself, and my friend K were lacking a bit of motivation to run through November and December last year and we were supposed to be gearing up to start training for the 2018 Disney Dopey Challenge. So to get us motivated I worked out the entire years training plan and wrote it out on a wall planner for each of us.

The challenge was then set that the person who dropped the most number of training days between 26/12/2016 and 31/01/2017 had to buy the other two a $100 gift voucher each at the store of there choice. (There were some rules around being sick and being allowed to rearrange a week but won't go into them).

Well today the challenge ended and we all completed 100% of the required training within the rules, which means we all ran (or walked if injury was involved) 27 out of the last 37 days. We have all been running mostly easy and sure the distances haven't been huge (nothing over 7k) but they have been what's required to get us from where we are through to finishing Dopey. All of us have seen fairly considerable improvement in our average times, dropping between 30seconds and a minute off our average pace per km.

Anyway I wanted to let you know how the people that you are helping through the information and encouragement you are giving me are going.

We haven't worked out what the payout will be for the February challenge, but regardless it starts tomorrow.

2017-01-31 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh I should also say thanks for the recommendation of the Daniels running book. I gave it to my sister at the start of December when she headed to Brazil for a holiday. She loves it (she is a science geek) and has started applying what she has been learning while she has been on holiday.

While she was in Rio she ran about 20km along the Olympic Marathon Route (as she says she got to "run the purple line"), applying what she learnt from the book she was averaging around 5:00 per km and she is stoked, so thanks heaps.
2017-01-31 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

fixed that for you

2017-01-31 9:29 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

Oh I should also say thanks for the recommendation of the Daniels running book. I gave it to my sister at the start of December when she headed to Brazil for a holiday. She loves it (she is a science geek) and has started applying what she has been learning while she has been on holiday.

While she was in Rio she ran about 20km along the Olympic Marathon Route (as she says she got to "run the purple line"), applying what she learnt from the book she was averaging around 5:00 per km and she is stoked, so thanks heaps.

Y'all killed the challenge! Awesome!! And so awesome that y'all are enjoying it so much, that's what it's all about!
2017-01-31 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that are interested I wanted to update you on how the January "Turtle Challenge" went. For those that don't know what I'm talking about my mum, my myself, and my friend K were lacking a bit of motivation to run through November and December last year and we were supposed to be gearing up to start training for the 2018 Disney Dopey Challenge. So to get us motivated I worked out the entire years training plan and wrote it out on a wall planner for each of us. The challenge was then set that the person who dropped the most number of training days between 26/12/2016 and 31/01/2017 had to buy the other two a $100 gift voucher each at the store of there choice. (There were some rules around being sick and being allowed to rearrange a week but won't go into them). Well today the challenge ended and we all completed 100% of the required training within the rules, which means we all ran (or walked if injury was involved) 27 out of the last 37 days. We have all been running mostly easy and sure the distances haven't been huge (nothing over 7k) but they have been what's required to get us from where we are through to finishing Dopey. All of us have seen fairly considerable improvement in our average times, dropping between 30seconds and a minute off our average pace per km. Anyway I wanted to let you know how the people that you are helping through the information and encouragement you are giving me are going. We haven't worked out what the payout will be for the February challenge, but regardless it starts tomorrow.

Congrats to all of you!  

2017-01-31 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that are interested I wanted to update you on how the January "Turtle Challenge" went. For those that don't know what I'm talking about my mum, my myself, and my friend K were lacking a bit of motivation to run through November and December last year and we were supposed to be gearing up to start training for the 2018 Disney Dopey Challenge. So to get us motivated I worked out the entire years training plan and wrote it out on a wall planner for each of us. The challenge was then set that the person who dropped the most number of training days between 26/12/2016 and 31/01/2017 had to buy the other two a $100 gift voucher each at the store of there choice. (There were some rules around being sick and being allowed to rearrange a week but won't go into them). Well today the challenge ended and we all completed 100% of the required training within the rules, which means we all ran (or walked if injury was involved) 27 out of the last 37 days. We have all been running mostly easy and sure the distances haven't been huge (nothing over 7k) but they have been what's required to get us from where we are through to finishing Dopey. All of us have seen fairly considerable improvement in our average times, dropping between 30seconds and a minute off our average pace per km. Anyway I wanted to let you know how the people that you are helping through the information and encouragement you are giving me are going. We haven't worked out what the payout will be for the February challenge, but regardless it starts tomorrow.

that is great! I can't wait to see how you do in February

2017-01-31 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Very cool!  Congrats and very happy for you all. 

Matt

2017-01-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Woo hoo!

It's real now. 

2017-01-31 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh I should also say thanks for the recommendation of the Daniels running book. I gave it to my sister at the start of December when she headed to Brazil for a holiday. She loves it (she is a science geek) and has started applying what she has been learning while she has been on holiday. While she was in Rio she ran about 20km along the Olympic Marathon Route (as she says she got to "run the purple line"), applying what she learnt from the book she was averaging around 5:00 per km and she is stoked, so thanks heaps.

Love that book. 

2017-01-31 2:35 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh I should also say thanks for the recommendation of the Daniels running book. I gave it to my sister at the start of December when she headed to Brazil for a holiday. She loves it (she is a science geek) and has started applying what she has been learning while she has been on holiday. While she was in Rio she ran about 20km along the Olympic Marathon Route (as she says she got to "run the purple line"), applying what she learnt from the book she was averaging around 5:00 per km and she is stoked, so thanks heaps.

Awesome, congrats to all!  Amazing the improvements you saw.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102