BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-05-31 12:40 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by alaskatri In case anyone is interested, REI is currently having their anniversary sale. 20% off coupon off any item, plus some other pretty good deals. I finally pulled the trigger on a Garmin watch.

Congrats on joining the Garmin crowd! Which one did you get?

I ended up going with the forerunner 945LTE. I can't imagine I'll use the LTE features anytime soon, but I like the smaller size of that one over the 945. I've had my fitbit for several years now and it's dying - it tends to drop from 50% to 0 quite often in a matter of minutes. Other times, it works just fine. But it's really not a great workout watch, and the steps to get things into strava from there is kind of a pain. I figure I'll be able to keep better track of things with the Garmin, plus it has all the golf features I was hoping for in a watch too (GPS distance to the green on over 42,000 courses, including my local course that my son and I play several times a week). It was $200 off at REI during their sale.

Edited by alaskatri 2022-05-31 12:55 AM

2022-05-31 6:21 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by alaskatri In case anyone is interested, REI is currently having their anniversary sale. 20% off coupon off any item, plus some other pretty good deals. I finally pulled the trigger on a Garmin watch.

I ended up going with the forerunner 945LTE. I can't imagine I'll use the LTE features anytime soon, but I like the smaller size of that one over the 945. I've had my fitbit for several years now and it's dying - it tends to drop from 50% to 0 quite often in a matter of minutes. Other times, it works just fine. But it's really not a great workout watch, and the steps to get things into strava from there is kind of a pain. I figure I'll be able to keep better track of things with the Garmin, plus it has all the golf features I was hoping for in a watch too (GPS distance to the green on over 42,000 courses, including my local course that my son and I play several times a week). It was $200 off at REI during their sale.

Nice, I've only heard great things about the 945. I think Janyne has one. I just bought the 745. Not b/c there is anything wrong with my 935, but b/c I wanted it and it was on sale! I'll try to sell the 935 on FB marketplace. I've used marketplace to sell a couple of things recently and have been pleasantly surprised by how well the sale (and what I was able to get) went.

2022-05-31 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Happy Memorial Day to the US-based Manatees!

Happy Memorial Day!!! I am hoping to get out and play some golf, and maybe get down to the boat and get out for some halibut with my daughter. She's just got a couple months until she leaves for college, so I'd like to fish with her as much as possible. We've had a rough couple weeks. We got her graduated and had all the grandparents in. A couple days after graduation, my dad fell on my deck. He has depth perception issues, and ended up walking right off a step. He knew it was there, but is 81 and forgets. That landed him at the ER and he ended up breaking a bone in his neck (odontoid fracture). So we spent several days taking care of him. Then some of our company that came to celebrate passed a pretty nasty bug on to me, so I've been off for two days pretty sick with a virus (not covid). Back to work today and still recovering, but definitely hoping to get out this weekend to do some outdoors stuff again.

I hope that you are feeling better -- Dad too! -- and that you were able to go fishing.

2022-05-31 11:25 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day to the US-based Manatees!

Happy Memorial Day!!! I am hoping to get out and play some golf, and maybe get down to the boat and get out for some halibut with my daughter. She's just got a couple months until she leaves for college, so I'd like to fish with her as much as possible. We've had a rough couple weeks. We got her graduated and had all the grandparents in. A couple days after graduation, my dad fell on my deck. He has depth perception issues, and ended up walking right off a step. He knew it was there, but is 81 and forgets. That landed him at the ER and he ended up breaking a bone in his neck (odontoid fracture). So we spent several days taking care of him. Then some of our company that came to celebrate passed a pretty nasty bug on to me, so I've been off for two days pretty sick with a virus (not covid). Back to work today and still recovering, but definitely hoping to get out this weekend to do some outdoors stuff again.
Sounds like a rough time. We cancelled our plans to go help my in-laws. Nobody teaches you how to parent your parents. My mother in law's dementia is advancing and my 83 yo father in law is the primary care giver. It is getting tough and she is not advanced enough for nursing care. We had to made some really difficult medical decisions this past week, and that really hit him hard. Quality of life vs extending life stuff. Primary goal is to give him a break and and do some chores around their house.

Ugh.  Sounds like a rough week. {{hugs}}

2022-05-31 11:26 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I am so excited that the Manatees may add two more dogs to our mix soon!

Lisa may adopt a second dachshund to join her and Ellie Mae.

Jen's family is picking up a lab puppy within the next month.

What fun!

Pics.

Yes! Black lab puppy joining our house mid-month. It's really coming up! should be lots of fun - and i do mean that. Puppies are work but not the same as babies. LOL! Maybe in the future it will be running buddy ... we shall see. 

I can't wait for the pictures!

2022-05-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I did the running club group run on Saturday.  Most of the crew were out of town so the typical group of 8-10 was a skeleton crew of four.  Everyone is on their own training schedule so long runs don't always line up.  I can't remember when I last did a real long run (6 weeks ago?  More?) or how far I went so I figured that 10-12 would be plenty for me.  They other guys were going 16-17 miles so I ended up doing 14 miles.  I always seem to end up doing something between what I should be doing and what everyone else is doing when I show up for a group run with out a firm training plan.  So...the knees ballooned up and my legs are now pretty stiff.

I wanted to do a longer but easier effort bike for Memorial Day.  My family want to go hike a state park early in the day before It got hot so I didn't get my morning ride.  When got home around 11 AM and it was already getting hot so instead of a bike ride I went to the gym and got in a longer but easier swim instead.  If I counted laps correctly (that would take a miracle) I would have been a done 2,500 yds.  The GPS however got me at 3,200 yards. That would probably be my all time longest swim ever (previous distance record is 3,000 yds).

I hear you on the group training! My rides never seem to line up with the group rides. Going longer isn't necessarily and issue -- ride to/from the ride -- but shorter....  Well, that means I go long than the plan. Ah well, it's supposed to be fun, right?

2022-05-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice, I've only heard great things about the 945. I think Janyne has one. I just bought the 745. Not b/c there is anything wrong with my 935, but b/c I wanted it and it was on sale! I'll try to sell the 935 on FB marketplace. I've used marketplace to sell a couple of things recently and have been pleasantly surprised by how well the sale (and what I was able to get) went.

Yup.  I have a 945 and I really like it.

2022-05-31 11:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Yup.  I have a 945 and I really like it.

I thought long and hard about the 745. It is quite a bit smaller in size than the 945 and it was $100 less. I also think the 945LTE is going to have a ton of features that I'll never use. I live in a pretty small town, so will likely rarely use the map features, which seems to be a big selling point to a lot of others. In the end, the somewhat better battery life (hopefully) and the golf features are what won me over. We bought a season pass at our local course and my son has become obsessed. We've played 12 rounds in the last couple of weeks just since we bought the pass. If it can keep running for a solid 4-6 years, I feel like I'll get my money's worth.
2022-05-31 2:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

...  I always seem to end up doing something between what I should be doing and what everyone else is doing when I show up for a group run with out a firm training plan....

I hear you on the group training! My rides never seem to line up with the group rides. Going longer isn't necessarily and issue -- ride to/from the ride -- but shorter....  Well, that means I go long than the plan. Ah well, it's supposed to be fun, right?

Ya...that is part of the problem on group runs.  They are fun, so I don't want to quit. I need to be smart though and stick with a plan. Oh...and I got out the GPS of my swim and counted laps.  It was only 2650 yds.  Not 3200 yds.  So my impressive swim stats were knocked down a bit. 

2022-06-02 2:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

...  I always seem to end up doing something between what I should be doing and what everyone else is doing when I show up for a group run with out a firm training plan....

Ya...that is part of the problem on group runs.  They are fun, so I don't want to quit. I need to be smart though and stick with a plan. Oh...and I got out the GPS of my swim and counted laps.  It was only 2650 yds.  Not 3200 yds.  So my impressive swim stats were knocked down a bit. 

2650 is still impressive
2022-06-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

2650 is still impressive

What I was most impressed with was the 1:31/100 yard pace.  I usually am at a 1:45-1:55 pace.  After correcting the distance that pace was back to a 1:48/100 yards. 

Ya...when most of my races are only around 400 yards 2650 yards is pretty solid.  I focused on doing longer swims (i.e. 3,000 yds) last summer. I think it was good for me so I will probably go the same way this year.  

2022-06-03 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4
Janyne - MS Spring Fling 100k
Leanne - WNC Flyer 100 miler
Anne - Unbound Gravel volunteering

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2022-06-03 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Lots of cycling Manatees this weekend ! Go have fun !! Only fun thing I'm doing this weekend is possibly hanging out in a tropical storm

2022-06-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Lots of cycling Manatees this weekend ! Go have fun !! Only fun thing I'm doing this weekend is possibly hanging out in a tropical storm

Maybe you can count that as "swimming?"

2022-06-03 3:07 PM

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Halibut fishing if the weather cooperates. Good luck to the racers!!!!
2022-06-03 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Jim and I are supposed to do the WnC Flyer as well.

2022-06-04 5:32 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Awesome!  Have a great time and doooo eeettt!!!

2022-06-05 6:00 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

We abandoned ship. Both of us did a lot of cabin work, sewer unstopping (DONT FLUSH PAPER TOWELS AND DIAPERS), yardwork and house repairs. Its the first time in 2 years I could really get out without hurting. So yes, I may have done too much. It would be scary to get out on the roads today with sore everything. I hate to miss it, it is a good ride.
2022-06-06 3:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

We abandoned ship. Both of us did a lot of cabin work, sewer unstopping (DONT FLUSH PAPER TOWELS AND DIAPERS), yardwork and house repairs. Its the first time in 2 years I could really get out without hurting. So yes, I may have done too much. It would be scary to get out on the roads today with sore everything. I hate to miss it, it is a good ride.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people?!  Diapers, of all things.  SMH

2022-06-06 3:30 PM

It isn't racing pics, but we had a great weekend of plenty of halibut (ended up with 7 in total on the weekend), seals, and plenty of whales, including a pod of orcas all around us and even going right under the back of our boat to the point we could have reached down to touch them (which we'd never, EVER do).

(Screenshot_20220604-160857_Gallery_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Resized_20220604_120123.jpeg (841KB - 3 downloads)
Screenshot_20220604-160857_Gallery_2.jpg (36KB - 3 downloads)
2022-06-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Nothing going on as exciting as the racing manatees, but I did get out on my MTB to see the new bridge on one of the local trails that has been years in the making.  There was an existing RR trestle which had the original wooden decking (for lack of a better word) that was fenced off at both ends because it was unsafe.  With funding from many sources, they were finally able to create a beautiful concrete deck with high-ish railings, two viewing scopes, and multiple small plexiglass 'windows' to look below the deck.  It is near a dam and is just fantastic!  I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear of joy at its beauty and the fact that it is finally open!  They made it plenty wide for users and did a great job with the information signs and a replica of a watchman's station (there already is one old, original one near the trail head).  

Now two sections of the trail can meet.  Once they finish doing a similar makeover to the other RR trestle that is about 3.5 miles away (it had been refurbished for trail users but some numbnuts burnt it a couple years ago (arson) so now they are adding concrete decking to it instead of wood to prevent the same outcome), the trail will make for a 20 mile ride one way.  Technically it can be done now but until the bridge is repaired, trail users have to go out onto the road to go around.

We saw black vultures, a bald eagle, song birds, and when we stopped on the bridge, cormorants and ducks in the waters and rocks below the dam.  Usually eagles and ospreys hang out there, too, but I didn't see any while I was stopped.  It was neat to see where the waters of the creek and the big Susquehanna meet below the trestle.

2022-06-06 3:37 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri It isn't racing pics, but we had a great weekend of plenty of halibut (ended up with 7 in total on the weekend), seals, and plenty of whales, including a pod of orcas all around us and even going right under the back of our boat to the point we could have reached down to touch them (which we'd never, EVER do).
This is fantastic, what a great trip!

2022-06-06 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Very cool! We have many historic trestles in our area and only a few have been restored or are part of bike trail systems. There are some amazing ones on the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho. I am a big fan of trestles and covered bridges.
2022-06-07 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri It isn't racing pics, but we had a great weekend of plenty of halibut (ended up with 7 in total on the weekend), seals, and plenty of whales, including a pod of orcas all around us and even going right under the back of our boat to the point we could have reached down to touch them (which we'd never, EVER do).

Amazing photo!  Thanks for sharing!

2022-06-07 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Nothing going on as exciting as the racing manatees, but I did get out on my MTB to see the new bridge on one of the local trails that has been years in the making.  There was an existing RR trestle which had the original wooden decking (for lack of a better word) that was fenced off at both ends because it was unsafe.  With funding from many sources, they were finally able to create a beautiful concrete deck with high-ish railings, two viewing scopes, and multiple small plexiglass 'windows' to look below the deck.  It is near a dam and is just fantastic!  I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear of joy at its beauty and the fact that it is finally open!  They made it plenty wide for users and did a great job with the information signs and a replica of a watchman's station (there already is one old, original one near the trail head).  

Now two sections of the trail can meet.  Once they finish doing a similar makeover to the other RR trestle that is about 3.5 miles away (it had been refurbished for trail users but some numbnuts burnt it a couple years ago (arson) so now they are adding concrete decking to it instead of wood to prevent the same outcome), the trail will make for a 20 mile ride one way.  Technically it can be done now but until the bridge is repaired, trail users have to go out onto the road to go around.

We saw black vultures, a bald eagle, song birds, and when we stopped on the bridge, cormorants and ducks in the waters and rocks below the dam.  Usually eagles and ospreys hang out there, too, but I didn't see any while I was stopped.  It was neat to see where the waters of the creek and the big Susquehanna meet below the trestle.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited about several rails to trails projects and I really want to do the GAP sometime. Any takers for a GAP glamping expedition?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29128 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93