BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Did have the Frozen Gnome 10k this morning. -5F race temp with 6-8" of snow on a single track trail. Took 56:34 to finish. Think an equivalent effort on a more ideal course would be close to 41 minutes.

There is also a 50k going on there. 5 laps of the same course. Saw a guy come through the first lap just a few minutes behind me!

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-10 10:51 AM

2015-01-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Did have the Frozen Gnome 10k this morning. -5F race temp with 6-8" of snow on a single track trail. Took 56:34 to finish. Think an equivalent effort on a more ideal course would be close to 41 minutes.

There is also a 50k going on there. 5 laps of the same course. Saw a guy come through the first lap just a few minutes behind me!

Congrats Ben!

2015-01-10 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ran the Quarter Note today, and finished with a 6:44/mile pace.  For the lack of running I've done (my logs are updated) I'll take it.  I targeted a 6:35 pace, but over time I wore down.  I did also finish 2nd overall, which was pretty cool.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239263032

This is a pic of a teammate and friend of mine after the finish.  He placed 3rd overall in the Quarter Note.

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-10 4:13 PM
2015-01-10 4:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Nice job Ben and Mississippi Matt!

Edited by Jet Black 2015-01-10 4:29 PM
2015-01-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
Just started my workout for the day and figured I'd try and win the awkward selfie award while I was at it.

Untitled
2015-01-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black Just started my workout for the day and figured I'd try and win the awkward selfie award while I was at it.  

Looks like you'll poke you're eye out with that arrangement. 

2015-01-10 7:29 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congrats Matt and Ben.  A couple of mighty fine efforts.

2015-01-10 7:51 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black Just started my workout for the day and figured I'd try and win the awkward selfie award while I was at it.  

Looks like you'll poke you're eye out with that arrangement. 

Notice he didn't take the pic at the end of the workout though. Hmmmm...

2015-01-10 8:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Nice running today, Matt and Ben!  Who knew Manatees do well in cold weather?

2015-01-10 9:52 PM

User image

Master

We had a great trail run this morning. Started off as a hike as we discussed a few things about job, money, life choices. Then we headed up, and up, and up some more. Started running some of the flat and not so steep hills, but found one that was just a step and slide. Steep.  The highlight was probably the beautiful coyote that showed up on the trail ahead of us. It was calm and curious before disappearing down the hill into the rocks and scrub. 9.4 was our final mileage. Longer than we planned because of a bee hazard area that we had to widely circumvent. We have Africanized bees here now, plus J is allergic. Ran the 3.5mi back down the trails. My legs are feeling it tonight...and probably more tomorrow.

(20150110_113547-1.jpg)

(20150110_105741.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150110_113547-1.jpg (59KB - 4 downloads)
20150110_105741.jpg (88KB - 2 downloads)
2015-01-10 10:20 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by msteiner

Ran the Quarter Note today, and finished with a 6:44/mile pace.  For the lack of running I've done (my logs are updated) I'll take it.  I targeted a 6:35 pace, but over time I wore down.  I did also finish 2nd overall, which was pretty cool.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239263032

This is a pic of a teammate and friend of mine after the finish.  He placed 3rd overall in the Quarter Note.

Dang, 6:44! That is excellent. I would imagine you are an inspiration to over 98% of us to be able to run that fast and smooth. Congrats to your friend too.

2015-01-10 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We had a great trail run this morning. Started off as a hike as we discussed a few things about job, money, life choices. Then we headed up, and up, and up some more. Started running some of the flat and not so steep hills, but found one that was just a step and slide. Steep.  The highlight was probably the beautiful coyote that showed up on the trail ahead of us. It was calm and curious before disappearing down the hill into the rocks and scrub. 9.4 was our final mileage. Longer than we planned because of a bee hazard area that we had to widely circumvent. We have Africanized bees here now, plus J is allergic. Ran the 3.5mi back down the trails. My legs are feeling it tonight...and probably more tomorrow.

Way to go! Looks like a challenging and rewarding run!
2015-01-11 7:37 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Erin--Yesterday must've been coyote day. I saw one crossing the road as I was riding my bike. He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry at the sight of me, either. Wasn't far from my house, so here's hoping my across the street neighbors will take heed and not allow their gazillion poodles wander like they usually do. Otherwise, it'll be easy pickings for Mr. Coyote.
2015-01-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Question for those of you who are wiser than me regarding pacing and tempo:

HOW did you learn how to pace yourself? I find (according to my Garmin data) that my pace during a mile is all over the place. I'd really like to become more consistent. Clearly, a lot of this connects to fitness...if you're becoming so winded that it's difficult to maintain that pace, then the pace needs to slow, but if I'm running on a relatively flat surface with minimal elevation change (like today's run), what sorts of things can/do you do to ingrain a specific pace in your head that you can knock out mile after mile?

A lot of my issue (I think) is related to cadence. When I tire, I my cadence slows until I remember..."Up the cadence." Would running with a metronome (on an app or something) help? Music with a certain bpm? I never run with music or anything in my ears unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare).

Would love your thoughts and suggestions.
2015-01-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by kgore

I hit my run tonight after work, and while it might have been the rapidly impending darkness as a cause, I managed to average faster than 12min/mile! Admittedly it was only 3 miles, but as I am coming from pretty much NOT running (seriously, how the heck did I complete that marathon?!?!?), its a decent start, and I will continue to increase and improve...I hope. And now here's a picture of a Madagascar Big Headed Turtle stepping on his friend's face:

Looks like the turtle is getting in some good OWS practice.  When's his race?

2015-01-11 1:45 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Chatham Ontario
looks like everyone is having a great weekend.

Mine has been swamped. but I managed to get my workouts in. felt bad we had a bday party for oldest step daughter on Saturday. People showed up early I was on the treadmill and didn't get off until I was done then I went directly to shower.

Today I made it to spin class and the kids started started their swim lessons. So while my step son was in his. I managed to jump in pool and do 600 meters for the first time in 8 months. WOW am I out of swim shape too. I felt that in my shoulders right away. Also first time for a double workout in over a year. Even if it was just 600 meters.

Also my first time for feeling like I want a nap on sunday. Thank you to this group and the challenge for keeping me accountable.

I think it might be time to pick a race for the spring.

2015-01-11 2:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Matt and Ben, great races!!

Sean, looks like the workout started out well.  How did it end up?

Kate, nice job on your run!

I met with Coaches Tess and Mace yesterday to take another look at my run (at no charge--these folks really are on the up-and-up).  We went back to my original gait and Mace videoed me for another assessment.  He suggested that I work on lifting my feet more but also noted that I'm going to have to work more on glute/hip flexor strength to manage that.  Well, yeah, that's one of the things I've been trying to work on.  He also thinks my knee problem is related to ankle weakness, not the changes I made to my stride, but also acknowledged that he's not a PT.  I'll talk it over with my PT at my appointment tomorrow and see what she says.

Tess also videoed me for a swim analysis and gave me a couple of drills to help me learn bilateral breathing.  I have some L shoulder problems and breathe to the R.  She said that bilateral breathing will help take some of the stress off my L shoulder because I tend to push down when I breathe. 

There was a party for the coaching group last night.  I met some of the other athletes, which was really fun.  Everybody was really nice.  I felt a little out of place though; it's a pretty elite group.  A number of them have gone to or qualified for age group nationals, including one woman who just started doing tris last year.  Five athletes from this coaching group qualified for Kona last year.  Another woman is working toward getting legacy status for Kona.  Apparently, if you do 12 IM's, you can apply for legacy status and be put into another category for Kona selection other than AG to get a better chance of being able to go.  Funny story:  Tess's husband tried to sign up for the Vineman HIM and accidentally signed up for the Vineman IM instead.  He's never done either a HIM or an IM.  Major oops!!

2015-01-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Techdiver looks like everyone is having a great weekend. Mine has been swamped. but I managed to get my workouts in. felt bad we had a bday party for oldest step daughter on Saturday. People showed up early I was on the treadmill and didn't get off until I was done then I went directly to shower. Today I made it to spin class and the kids started started their swim lessons. So while my step son was in his. I managed to jump in pool and do 600 meters for the first time in 8 months. WOW am I out of swim shape too. I felt that in my shoulders right away. Also first time for a double workout in over a year. Even if it was just 600 meters. Also my first time for feeling like I want a nap on sunday. Thank you to this group and the challenge for keeping me accountable. I think it might be time to pick a race for the spring.

First time for feeling like a nap on Sunday?!  That happens to me every week.  

As for picking a race, the Manatee Mantra is DOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

(Nice job on the workout, BTW.)

2015-01-11 5:35 PM

User image

Master

Wanted to do something outside with the kids this morning. After T said he didn't want to do the "same old trail", we let him pick our route. He wanted to go straight up to the ridge. J and I didn't even know if there was an actual trail. Turns out there's a very lightly used one up from the east parking lot. I took this pic at the top (remember I warned you about kid pics), almost a mile from the lot. Both the kids hiked/climbed up on their own. The descent, after we hiked south along the ridge through cholla gardens, was a different story. Mak had to be carried about 1/2mi since we decided to go off the faint trail and down a steep spine. Only 2.5mi round trip, but lots of steep shale/boulders and cactus to maneuver through. Kids felt really accomplished, and T wants to go alone with dad next week

(20150111_112019.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150111_112019.jpg (78KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-11 5:47 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Erin--Yesterday must've been coyote day. I saw one crossing the road as I was riding my bike. He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry at the sight of me, either. Wasn't far from my house, so here's hoping my across the street neighbors will take heed and not allow their gazillion poodles wander like they usually do. Otherwise, it'll be easy pickings for Mr. Coyote.

Orrrrrr...maybe they will? A gazillion wandering poodles sounds like a nuisance. I'm all for responsible pet ownership...while also a fan of the laws of nature.

2015-01-11 5:56 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Question for those of you who are wiser than me regarding pacing and tempo: HOW did you learn how to pace yourself? I find (according to my Garmin data) that my pace during a mile is all over the place. I'd really like to become more consistent. Clearly, a lot of this connects to fitness...if you're becoming so winded that it's difficult to maintain that pace, then the pace needs to slow, but if I'm running on a relatively flat surface with minimal elevation change (like today's run), what sorts of things can/do you do to ingrain a specific pace in your head that you can knock out mile after mile? A lot of my issue (I think) is related to cadence. When I tire, I my cadence slows until I remember..."Up the cadence." Would running with a metronome (on an app or something) help? Music with a certain bpm? I never run with music or anything in my ears unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare). Would love your thoughts and suggestions.

While I'm am in no way wiser about anything running...Do you watch your pace on your watch while you run or only look at data after? What about HR zones?

2015-01-11 6:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Question for those of you who are wiser than me regarding pacing and tempo: HOW did you learn how to pace yourself? I find (according to my Garmin data) that my pace during a mile is all over the place. I'd really like to become more consistent. Clearly, a lot of this connects to fitness...if you're becoming so winded that it's difficult to maintain that pace, then the pace needs to slow, but if I'm running on a relatively flat surface with minimal elevation change (like today's run), what sorts of things can/do you do to ingrain a specific pace in your head that you can knock out mile after mile? A lot of my issue (I think) is related to cadence. When I tire, I my cadence slows until I remember..."Up the cadence." Would running with a metronome (on an app or something) help? Music with a certain bpm? I never run with music or anything in my ears unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare). Would love your thoughts and suggestions.

Nancy, I am sure Salty, Ben and others way better at running than I will respond.  But, I found that the more I ran, the better I got at this.  I never knew what pace I was running without looking at my Garmin.  Now, after putting on a lot more km in the past couple years, I am usually pretty close to knowing just by feel.  I think it comes down to knowing how paces "feel", and that takes time and experience.

2015-01-11 6:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Wanted to do something outside with the kids this morning. After T said he didn't want to do the "same old trail", we let him pick our route. He wanted to go straight up to the ridge. J and I didn't even know if there was an actual trail. Turns out there's a very lightly used one up from the east parking lot. I took this pic at the top (remember I warned you about kid pics), almost a mile from the lot. Both the kids hiked/climbed up on their own. The descent, after we hiked south along the ridge through cholla gardens, was a different story. Mak had to be carried about 1/2mi since we decided to go off the faint trail and down a steep spine. Only 2.5mi round trip, but lots of steep shale/boulders and cactus to maneuver through. Kids felt really accomplished, and T wants to go alone with dad next week

Looks like they are loving it!  Congrats to all

2015-01-11 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Erin, I do watch the pace on my watch, but then I'll run by feel for a bit, look down and realize my pace changed dramatically.

I've tried running with my hrm, but the permanent scar on my sternum from chafing on 3 different garmin & 1 polar straps caused me to say f-it & throw it in the drawer.
2015-01-11 6:21 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master

Originally posted by Techdiver looks like everyone is having a great weekend. Mine has been swamped. but I managed to get my workouts in. felt bad we had a bday party for oldest step daughter on Saturday. People showed up early I was on the treadmill and didn't get off until I was done then I went directly to shower. Today I made it to spin class and the kids started started their swim lessons. So while my step son was in his. I managed to jump in pool and do 600 meters for the first time in 8 months. WOW am I out of swim shape too. I felt that in my shoulders right away. Also first time for a double workout in over a year. Even if it was just 600 meters. Also my first time for feeling like I want a nap on sunday. Thank you to this group and the challenge for keeping me accountable. I think it might be time to pick a race for the spring.

People showed up early? Bah! I'm sure they appreciated you taking the time to shower though.

Good job on getting in the pool! Sometimes naps are much deserved.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55406 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.