BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-13 12:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ok, I need guidance...

After Moab I had the usual post race let-down (not good added to the already ever present grief) and started looking at trail ultras .  I'm not jumping to 100M or even 50M. I actually found a 52k trail race in Goodyear, AZ (near phoenix) in January. That one caught my attention as we will be in Flagstaff (not close but do-able) for hockey games that weekend. Then I got to thinking (really! I stopped to think about it before hitting the register button!) and thought maybe I should be taking some time off rather than ramping up for a longer race. This one looks fun, though, and the elevation profile looks pretty easy compared to what I've been  doing. There is a 20 miler I could "settle" for but is that still too much?

So then I found some races here in NM in the April/May time frame. One is a 45k, one is a 50k. Those seem so far away but I suppose would give me time to take a few weeks off then slowly build.

Thoughts?

Hey Erin, want to go to a hockey game in January?  

lol jumped the gun on that and didn't even write anything before hitting submit.

You can do it. But you are going to have to bump up your training time, volume and consistency considerably or you are going to have a bad time. It's going to have to be a lot more than your marathon.

You and Steve both mentioned that I need to seriously increase my training. I was thinking the same thing which is why I wondered if I should do a later race. Right now is a good time of year for me because work hours ease up so I have more time (until 1/1). I keep thinking, though, about how your coach talks about if you don't take intentional time off you'll end up taking unintentional time off.  My mileage the last few weeks has been pretty low so maybe that's enough recovery?

If I do the 20M in January is that too long of a build to the 45k in April or the 50k in may?

I think a couple of weeks of reduced volume is enough to recharge your battery and if you feel like ramping it back up then go for it.  When I take some time off it is as much about getting caught up with the rest of my life as the physical/mental recovery from training.  Sometimes it is hard to take the break because I love the training so much.

I think that a couple of months of additional training after incrementally building for the 20 miler would be enough to tackle the next challenge.  If you have not run beyond a marathon before, the first one is more of a learning experience anyway.  Time expectations will not mean a whole lot and the goal is to enjoy it as much as one can (gets tough in the latter stages), not injury yourself, and learn from the experience and from others.  Most ultra folks love to chat and you can get great insight from them.  The drastically reduced pace of these events allows for conversation with fellow runners if you wish.

I was actually surprised at how little (comparatively) some of the people had trained at the ultras that I have done.  Most of the people had done a number of them and understood the two most important things very, very well: nutrition and pacing.

I've been looking at ultra plans and seeing that the weekday runs are very marathon-esque in their distance but the weekends are back to back long runs with Monday and Friday as rest days. I saw one plan that I liked with a long run, never over 25 miles, on Saturday with an hour our hour.five on Sunday.

Like you said, they talk a lot about pacing and nutrition.

You all know how I feel about expectations!

Pacing for an ultra is easy. Slow.As.Shyte. But the nutrition will be key. I didn't look at the specific races you are talking about but I imagine there will be some altitude. Remember how trying to take in nutrition with that beast is (cough cough pikes cough cough peak.) A half marathon is one thing but an ultra is likely impossible without the ability to take in some calories. 

It's even less about the miles and more about the time. Running that 46+ mile day on the PCT was such a different experience than a marathon. Like night and day.

Ha. True, but I didn't have trouble taking in calories until I got above 10,000 feet. I don't think these races get up that high but I'll double check.  At this point I'm narrowing it down to which I'd rather do. The Jemez in Los Alamos would be awesome but it's on a day that conflicts for DH and I don't want him to change his plans and don't think I could talk him in to not supporting. The one at Cedro looks good and I know the RD from the ultra where I crewed the aid station... but it ends on an uphill

One other is showing up on my radar... in Moab. I got an email from the RD yesterday. I think part of it is on the same trails I did last weekend. DH is always up for a trip to Moab and it's in early April so it'll still be cool weather, hopefully.

2015-11-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hello everyone ? Sorry for being too quite lately, I will do my best to read the above threads, I noticed some extremely cool pics from Iceland – I love those!
I’ve been super busy at work (which is my usual time when I check BT), and was too tired at home. I also hit the column when exiting my office and hurt my nose really badly. It made me spaced out for a couple of days and slower with thinking. But I don’t think it’s broken (I started to read the Internet trying to figure out if I should contact the doctor, but once they started mentioning about possible brain damage, I just stopped reading.)
I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful Friday, the 13th (my best friend’s birthday). Have a wonderful weekend!
Mary
2015-11-13 2:19 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary in Chicagoland, what is the first initial of your last name?

2015-11-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15
Ann-Marie - FL ROC Trail @ Spruce Creek HM on Saturday
Robin - Avengers Super Hero Half Marathon on Sunday
Steve - Rock n Roll Vegas on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome (on reading/computer restriction but can run outside and ride inside). She notes, "Concussion symptoms are definitely improving."
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, hoping to give the crutches the boot in less than two weeks!
Mary - Injured nose in Yanti-esque pool incident.

2015-11-13 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome (on reading/computer restriction but can run outside and ride inside). She notes, "Concussion symptoms are definitely improving."
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, hoping to give the crutches the boot in less than two weeks!

Those look like some fun races (if the weather holds out for Steve)  Have fun!!!!!  Hey.... aren't there a couple of Manatees in Vegas this weekend?

Mary, so glad to se you are improving and back on social media! We've missed you!!!

Lisa, keep mending!

Mary (chitown), I laughed when you said you read about brain damage and quit reading but I hope you take it seriously and get it checked!

2015-11-13 3:05 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Mary in Chicagoland, what is the first initial of your last name?

It is G, why?
Mary

2015-11-13 3:07 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Never mind, I figured out why
Mary
2015-11-13 3:11 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

Those look like some fun races (if the weather holds out for Steve)  Have fun!!!!!  Hey.... aren't there a couple of Manatees in Vegas this weekend?

Mary, so glad to se you are improving and back on social media! We've missed you!!!

Lisa, keep mending!

Mary (chitown), I laughed when you said you read about brain damage and quit reading but I hope you take it seriously and get it checked!

Best of luck and have fun those who are racing this weekend! I hope you have an awesome weather!

Thankfully, my nose is not stopping me from training And it doesn't look goofy anymore. But yea, the reading was very graphic: if there is a brain fluid coming out of your nose, contact your physician. I could not keep reading... I alse went through a gallery of broken noses, to compare if mine is at least close to the diagnoses. But most of them were boxers' really bloody and curved noses, so I decided it did not make sense anymore Since it is getting better, I will continue to use arnica gel and just see how it goes.

Mary and Lisa - I hope your health improves as well
Mary G (aka Mary Chitown)
2015-11-13 3:27 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

Lisa, keep mending!

I've not heard of any Manatees but lots of folks from my town.  I know of half a dozen that will be on my flight down including some very speedy folks (a couple of top ten potentials).  Thankfully, projected winds have dropped from 24 to 15 mph.

Good luck Ann-Marie and Robin.

So glad to here Mary is getting back to normal.  No crutches would be great Lisa. And MaryG,  hope the nose feels better.  I think broken noses add character.  My nose still has a crook from a fight I got in during xmas midnight mass when I was young. 

2015-11-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by popsracer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

Lisa, keep mending!

I've not heard of any Manatees but lots of folks from my town.  I know of half a dozen that will be on my flight down including some very speedy folks (a couple of top ten potentials).  Thankfully, projected winds have dropped from 24 to 15 mph.

Good luck Ann-Marie and Robin.

So glad to here Mary is getting back to normal.  No crutches would be great Lisa. And MaryG,  hope the nose feels better.  I think broken noses add character.  My nose still has a crook from a fight I got in during xmas midnight mass when I was young. 

Chris is there with TW. Last pic I saw was something about a bourbon tour...

Yay for less wind!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2015-11-13 3:52 PM
2015-11-13 3:50 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

YAY TEAM!!

CRAZY BUSY but I always check the friday race list! GO GET EM!

2015-11-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #5145806

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Family time with little running. TW and I hiked in Red Rocks Canyon. I dropped my phone, so typing/reading is a challenge. Bourbon tasting at Vom Foss last night was educational and tasty. And not tasty, depending on your palette.

Race well everyone and keep healing up.
2015-11-13 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

GO ROBIN, GO STEVE, GO ME!!

Heal up DL!

2015-11-13 7:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO FORTI!!!
GO NANCYPOPS!!!

Disabled List
Poor pookies. And why is something on the DL always reminiscent of me?!

2015-11-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO FORTI!!!
GO NANCYPOPS!!!

Disabled List
Poor pookies. And why is something on the DL always reminiscent of me?!

haha Thankfully my nose crash was not in the pool I walked out the office and hit straight into a column.
Although, I am not swimming with flip turns yet, so you never know what's there for me

Except the awesome runners doing awesome races, what are the others' plans for the weekend?
I hope you all have a nice weather.
Mary
2015-11-14 4:19 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What is this thing called a weekend????? Training, schoolwork, and coursework. I do get to sleep in a bit, have a leisurely breakfast, and play the odd game of "shoelace" with my fur kids, though. My concept of weekend will (hopefully) be restored on December 7, when my coursework has to be done and my report cards finished. NO MORE HOMEWORK ON WEEKENDS!

Nice weather here, if 95, humid, and sunny is your idea of nice. It's been a bit windy today with a brief rainstorm, and the sky is now nice and blue (sunset approaching). I just want to know--if it's 95 out, even considering the heater doesn't work, how can our school pool (partly enclosed with no AC) be under 25 C (about 76 Fahrenheit) unless they DO refrigerate it??? I would understand if it was a lake--depth, possible cold spring source, etc. but this is a pool!

2015-11-14 8:47 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Poor pookie Br ... Bil ... By .... B-something, brigby ...

He gots crashed and gots a plate in the busted collarbone now.

(043.recovery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
043.recovery.jpg (48KB - 2 downloads)
2015-11-14 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Just a fly by proof of life post.
Lots going on at the moment. No time to train. All will be revealed eventually. Normal manatee posting will resume at some point.
Darren thanks you for your patience
2015-11-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Ann-Marie, hope you had a great time this morning!

Steve and Robin, go get 'em tomorrow

DLers, keep resting and recuperating.

I got two mornings of riding in while Makenna had preschool this week. Then a nice evening jog on Thursday while J watched the kids. Today we started our "date mornings" again with a 6mi hike n jog on the mountain.  I've really been missing them. J hasn't been very motivated to be active, and I feel guilty just going . He's back on board I think. YAY!

Kids want to ride bikes, so I'll do a catch up when we get back.

2015-11-14 5:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

A week ago, had the ground of a banked turn give out. Front wheel goes and there is not much to do. Shoulder drove right into the ground. Had to put the handle bar back in place but was able to ride/walk the few miles out of the trail. Thought it was going to be a sprain to light tear as this hurt less than something else a few years back. X--ray showed a nice big split if the collar bone with a piece at a funny angle. Took the suggestion of having a plate put in to insure it healed right. No plate would need too much caution & hassle, like x-rays for 8 weeks straight plus not being that sure it would come together. in the surgery it turns out that there were 16 pieces that had to be put back together, so very glad to have both gotten in to see the doctor and had the surgery relatively quickly as the fragments can tear up the tissue. Rehab is going to take some time. Unsure exactly as the damage was worse than believed before surgery. Think it was already a few months before this.

Pain has actually been lower than expected. Surrounding tissue has been worse, stressed from the impact and working hard to hold in place. Kind of fun when something like blowing my nose set off a hard lat cramp.

2015-11-14 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 14-15

Disabled List

Go racing Manatees

And heal up Mary, Lisa, Mary and now Ben too.

2015-11-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

A week ago, had the ground of a banked turn give out. Front wheel goes and there is not much to do. Shoulder drove right into the ground. Had to put the handle bar back in place but was able to ride/walk the few miles out of the trail. Thought it was going to be a sprain to light tear as this hurt less than something else a few years back. X--ray showed a nice big split if the collar bone with a piece at a funny angle. Took the suggestion of having a plate put in to insure it healed right. No plate would need too much caution & hassle, like x-rays for 8 weeks straight plus not being that sure it would come together. in the surgery it turns out that there were 16 pieces that had to be put back together, so very glad to have both gotten in to see the doctor and had the surgery relatively quickly as the fragments can tear up the tissue. Rehab is going to take some time. Unsure exactly as the damage was worse than believed before surgery. Think it was already a few months before this.

Pain has actually been lower than expected. Surrounding tissue has been worse, stressed from the impact and working hard to hold in place. Kind of fun when something like blowing my nose set off a hard lat cramp.

So sorry to hear this, Ben.  Take care!

2015-11-15 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I hope that you all had a great weekend.

I went for a run this morning for the first time in ages and I had a break through while out there today. After years of telling myself that I don't like running I actually realised today that I really do!

You could have knocked me down with a feather
2015-11-16 8:04 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Glad you finally got to experience that. From 36 years of running.....It isn't all harps and angels and runner's high. Most runs are pleasant and definitely better than sitting on the couch or doing actual work, but it feels nice to be done (especially in tropical heat) . Some just feel like work/exercise, and a few suck from the get-go, often for no apparent reason. Maybe every few months I'll have an awesome run, again usually for no reason that I can figure out.

One of the nicest runs I've had in recent years was after spending all night on a train with hard metal seats (old Eastern Block train in Europe). Something was wrong with the seat in front of me and throughout the night I kept getting banged in the shins whenever the person in front leaned back. By morning I hurt all over and my shins were black and blue. We got to where we were going (in Austria), had breakfast, and napped for a few hours. I woke up and just HAD to go for a run. Conveniently, there was a beautiful bike trail through the meadows nearby--that was one of my most enjoyable runs in five years, bruises and all!
2015-11-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I hope that you all had a great weekend. I went for a run this morning for the first time in ages and I had a break through while out there today. After years of telling myself that I don't like running I actually realised today that I really do! You could have knocked me down with a feather

hahaha, glad you've come over to the dark side   I remember when I found running to be punishment and the necessary evil for other sports, then one day I was running in the rain and realized I had become one of the people whose sanity I questioned - a runner! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54778 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67355 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28406 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11971 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66873 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.