BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-12 1:30 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Holy crap, Manatees... we might actually get the Damn House!! 

Final walk-through is today and we're scheduled to close as of tomorrow afternoon at 1:30pm.  WOOOOOOT!! 

YAY!!!!!!! 

The next bit of fun will be moving in and getting all the utilities set up.  Oh, and buying more furniture.  I know how much fun you have buying furniture.

2015-01-12 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Final walk-through is today and we're scheduled to close as of tomorrow afternoon at 1:30pm.  WOOOOOOT!! 

Yippee for not being homeless!

2015-01-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

I've put purple back on my chart. In the pool for a slower than usual (and that means reeeeaaaallly slow) swim. But gotta restart somewhere sometime.

2015-01-12 1:39 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

YAY!!!!!!! 

The next bit of fun will be moving in and getting all the utilities set up.  Oh, and buying more furniture.  I know how much fun you have buying furniture.

Ha!!  The utilities will HOPEFULLY be less painful than trying to get the cable/internet service switched over, but I'm guessing that we'll have to wait and see on that one, as the Austin Utilities website is allegedly down for servicing at the moment and their customer service department is "unable to assist customers until further notice".  Oh well. 

As for furniture... we've already got a game plan in place!!  Lol! 

Oh, and there will be another mini shopping spree for when we get to bring Brisket home too.  WOOOT!!  :D 

2015-01-12 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

YAY!!!!!!! 

Ha!!  The utilities will HOPEFULLY be less painful than trying to get the cable/internet service switched over, but I'm guessing that we'll have to wait and see on that one, as the Austin Utilities website is allegedly down for servicing at the moment and their customer service department is "unable to assist customers until further notice".  Oh well. 

Oh, and there will be another mini shopping spree for when we get to bring Brisket home too.  WOOOT!!  :D 

Have you thought through the name choice. I thought Brisket had a single meaning in Texas!

Congrats on the house!!!! 

2015-01-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

I know!!  YAY!!  

Man, that homeless thing would have sucked, I don't think I would have done well with living in the car with Tony and the 2 cats.

2015-01-12 1:47 PM

User image

Master

I know!!  YAY!!  

Man, that homeless thing would have sucked, I don't think I would have done well with living in the car with Tony and the 2 cats.

Yaaaaaay!

2015-01-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

YAY!!!!!!! 

Have you thought through the name choice. I thought Brisket had a single meaning in Texas!

Lol - that's the name she came with, so we're keeping it... but I've promised Tony that the next dog we get (which will be another rescue pup) he gets to name it, and he's already set on "Disco"   

Thanks!!  

2015-01-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx

I know!!  YAY!!  

Yaaaaaay!

I agree!!!  

2015-01-12 2:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

YAY!!!!!!! 

The cats are going to have a conniption.  First they get moved again, then you're bringing in a dog.  Gonna be fun times!!!!  (You did make sure Brisket's okay with cats, right?)

2015-01-12 2:40 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Do I dare ask why Tony has picked the name Disco?

2015-01-12 2:56 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by Techdiver

Do I dare ask why Tony has picked the name Disco?
Wait, let me get some popcorn, this should be good.
2015-01-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

ABOUT DOING A HIM ON THE WAY TO DOING AN IM

Sorry, I'm in newborn-baby (cat) hell, I mean bliss can't find the original post.

I think it's quite important. You mentioned being cautious about burning yourself out on the way to IM, but a HIM is a really good opportunity to practice NOT doing that, practice nutrition over a long haul, etc.

In the same way that a marathon is more than double a half-marathon, an IM is reaaaaally more than a HIM. But it's incredibly valuable experience in pacing, nutrition, execution, and racing overall, especially in the run-up to your first IM. Generally the recovery costs are not too bad, either, especially if you're actually prepared for it and execute well. But even if you mess it up somehow, it's important learning and much better done then than in an IM.

Thanks so much for this! I appreciate the feedback.
2015-01-12 3:02 PM

User image

Master

YAY!!!!!!! 

Lol - that's the name she came with, so we're keeping it... but I've promised Tony that the next dog we get (which will be another rescue pup) he gets to name it, and he's already set on "Disco"   

Thanks!!  

Such fun with the house!

Just call her Bri (ee).  I bet they adjust quickly to name changes...especially if they've gone through "lock-up" and foster. Pogo was Buttons (didn't suit him or roll off the tongue), and he answers to it just fine.

2015-01-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

YAY!!!!!!! 

Thanks!!  

Such fun with the house!

Just call her Bri (ee).  I bet they adjust quickly to name changes...especially if they've gone through "lock-up" and foster. Pogo was Buttons (didn't suit him or roll off the tongue), and he answers to it just fine.

Four of our five critters were rescues. None of them kept their "inmate" name.

2015-01-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Success first swim of the year, 1250m back feels ok, let's hope it stays that way!

2015-01-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: Neil65

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Neil65 Success first swim of the year, 1250m back feels ok, let's hope it stays that way!

congrats on a great swim and no back issue!

2015-01-12 4:22 PM
in reply to: Neil65

User image

Master
Originally posted by Neil65Success first swim of the year, 1250m back feels ok, let's hope it stays that way!
Yay! Today must've been THE day
2015-01-12 4:34 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Crazy times and chatty manatees!

Salty - sorry to hear your day in court got postponed, frustrating for sure.  It will be good to finally put it behind you, so hopefully it doesn't take months to get rescheduled.

Neil and Erin - congrats on getting chlorinated!

Monica - YAY to the house!!

Ben and Matt - congrats on being speedy!

Sorry other manatees who did great, awesome things that I now can't remember because it was 6 pages ago!  I'm not purposely ignoring you and your accomplishments, I just have Swiss cheese brain.  Forgive me, please.

2015-01-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
Home improvements, house moving, kitties being naughty, dogs called Disco and a trial. Busy times!

It is like a monsoon here in Melbourne today and i'm supposed to be running at lunchtime. In addition i've brought home some tummy bug from Thailand which I'm hoping isn't some parasite or other but it's not going away and I've been back four days now....soooooooo the run may be postponed for obvious reasons!

As you were....
2015-01-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: Emer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Emer
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

ABOUT DOING A HIM ON THE WAY TO DOING AN IM

Sorry, I'm in newborn-baby (cat) hell, I mean bliss can't find the original post.

I think it's quite important. You mentioned being cautious about burning yourself out on the way to IM, but a HIM is a really good opportunity to practice NOT doing that, practice nutrition over a long haul, etc.

In the same way that a marathon is more than double a half-marathon, an IM is reaaaaally more than a HIM. But it's incredibly valuable experience in pacing, nutrition, execution, and racing overall, especially in the run-up to your first IM. Generally the recovery costs are not too bad, either, especially if you're actually prepared for it and execute well. But even if you mess it up somehow, it's important learning and much better done then than in an IM.

Thanks so much for this! I appreciate the feedback.

Something else to keep in mind is that while the event itself can be considered more than double, the training isn't necessarily going to be. I think a big part of building up over time can be more about learning to handle the demands of the training volume. You can learn a lot about pushing and recovering in them, all the while building more fitness. When you eventually get there, the difference in the training may be mostly having to fit in the biggest workouts and a little less learning about the larger training volume in general. It's a lot to take in all at once.

2015-01-12 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Legs were still pretty sore from this weekend but managed to swim 300 meters pretty smoothly. Really getting comfortable with the technique but my current issue is getting too much water in my mouth when I roll over to breath. Is there a secret to it?

Bought new goggles that work perfectly during lunch too! Aqua sphere kayennes!
2015-01-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by Havok

Legs were still pretty sore from this weekend but managed to swim 300 meters pretty smoothly. Really getting comfortable with the technique but my current issue is getting too much water in my mouth when I roll over to breath. Is there a secret to it?

Bought new goggles that work perfectly during lunch too! Aqua sphere kayennes!
I love my Aqua sphere goggles. Keep working at it, the more comfortable you are in the water and relaxed the better your experience will be. Are you getting gulps of water or just a bit? I breath on the right side mostly and found that rolling a little more and resting on the extended left arm got my mouth out of the water more to get a longer breath. However that led to some shoulder strain so be careful. I am now working on left side breathing and timing to try to balance things out more.

I would also suggest going shorter distances 25 or 50 meters and then taking a 30 second break to get the O2 level back up so you can focus more on technique. Better to teach good habits and skills than try to break a bad habit.
2015-01-12 9:34 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by HavokLegs were still pretty sore from this weekend but managed to swim 300 meters pretty smoothly. Really getting comfortable with the technique but my current issue is getting too much water in my mouth when I roll over to breath. Is there a secret to it? Bought new goggles that work perfectly during lunch too! Aqua sphere kayennes!
I love my Aqua sphere goggles. Keep working at it, the more comfortable you are in the water and relaxed the better your experience will be. Are you getting gulps of water or just a bit? I breath on the right side mostly and found that rolling a little more and resting on the extended left arm got my mouth out of the water more to get a longer breath. However that led to some shoulder strain so be careful. I am now working on left side breathing and timing to try to balance things out more. I would also suggest going shorter distances 25 or 50 meters and then taking a 30 second break to get the O2 level back up so you can focus more on technique. Better to teach good habits and skills than try to break a bad habit.
It's just a bit. Enough that it causes me to slow my inhale down as to not inhale the water and choke. I've been working on a 3 stroke style so I breath on alternating sides but haven't noticed one side being worse than the other yet. I am pretty comfortable in the water (grew up doing general swimming and water sports) and don't panic by any means but it's just annoying and slows me down. Yeah I have been taking breaks every 25/50 meters to focus on technique and to simply not die! :P
2015-01-12 10:09 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'M PART OF A LOCAL TRIATHLON TEAM! I missed the cutoff, but was able to plead my case and get on Team HFP.  Their tri uniform looks pretty sweet, have to say.  I'll try to get some picks up as I get things sorted out.  Being part of a local team is cool because sometimes it's hard to find other people who can relate to triathlon. Excited!

Holy cow guys, email tells me I'm 90-some posts behind.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55418 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.