BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Asalzwed

In other news, did you all see Vibram's big settlement? Yowza! 

Yes! And while I'm pretty sure I could "cash in" being that there is a pair sitting in my shoe room, I think they are like most shoes...work for some and not for others. I've seen plenty of people running/exercising in their Vibrams...they didn't look dissatisfied.

Of course Vibram made claims about their product, that's what marketing is about. And by settling, no one will know the real research and numbers. I think a few of the details here http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/details-on-the-vibram-settlement/  are interesting:

"So, what was the settlement?

First, of course, Vibram admits no wrongdoing.

Next, the settlement is for $3,750,000.00. That includes fees for the lawyers, and any administrative fees for handing out the “awards”. However, the attorney fees are limited to $937,500.00, with expenses limited to $70,000. Nice work if you can get it.

Oh, and Bezdek, the person who filed the original lawsuit, gets $2,500,
“to compensate the Plaintiffs for efforts and risks taken by them on behalf of the Class.”

What about everybody else? As I predicted, as part of the class-action settlement, they get a small cash payout. That is officially limited to $94 per pair of Vibrams bought. However, in reality that is limited further by the total amount of the settlement. In reality, based upon the usual responses to these sort of lawsuits, the settlement says

Based on the experience of similar settlements of class actions, it is reasonable to expect that Class Members may receive payment in the range of $20.00 to $50.00 per pair."

In law firms' defense and speaking as a paralegal with some experience with litigation, fees and expenses can really add up.  Litigation takes a LOT of time for attorneys and staff and attorneys will take often cases like this on contingency. That means that if they lose, they don't get any money and depending on their case, may even have to pay the other side.   "Fees" are for the time they spend, "expenses" covers stuff like court reporters for depositions, deposition transcripts, scanning/copying costs, filing fees, etc., etc.  Imagine doing all that work and not getting paid a dime for your time or all the costs you incur and it makes the amount they get seem a little less outrageous.

2014-05-11 3:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I need some help Manatees.

I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):

Edited by StaceyK 2014-05-11 3:49 AM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1840KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-11 3:50 AM

User image

Master

male or female?

\Just saw the edit.  Darn I had some boy names

Edited by bcraht 2014-05-11 4:00 AM
2014-05-11 5:14 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKI need some help Manatees.I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):
All I can think of is "cutie patootie", but somehow I don't think that is what you're looking for!

was there a theme for the litter? What are your other dogs' names?

2014-05-11 7:16 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

I need some help Manatees.

I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):

LOVE HER

In Greyhound kennels, a lot of the kennels will name the puppies using part of the mother's name. IE: our girl was Tola Jewel and all her siblings were something Jewel or Skeeter because her mother was Jewels Skeeter http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=0hb5_r&d=tola+jewel&x=0&y=0

So just a thought - what was her mother's name?

or you could go something tri related - our cats are Cadence and Velocity

Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D
2014-05-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Had a great race guys! I'll get my RR up soon.  It was a lot of fun to get out there racing again.  The swim/bike was good, and my lack of running fitness showed, but it was all good, and I beat out another guy in a sprint finish (which I love to do).

2014-05-11 10:24 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Had a great race guys! I'll get my RR up soon.  It was a lot of fun to get out there racing again.  The swim/bike was good, and my lack of running fitness showed, but it was all good, and I beat out another guy in a sprint finish (which I love to do).

All good news!  Congratulations!!

2014-05-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by StaceyK I need some help Manatees. I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):
LOVE HER In Greyhound kennels, a lot of the kennels will name the puppies using part of the mother's name. IE: our girl was Tola Jewel and all her siblings were something Jewel or Skeeter because her mother was Jewels Skeeter http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=0hb5_r&d=tola+jewel&x=0&y... So just a thought - what was her mother's name? or you could go something tri related - our cats are Cadence and Velocity Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D

Her mother's name is Poh

Cutie patootie maybe not, but I do like Tootie or Trudie!

I should definitely stay out of pet-naming and fashion advice, though.

2014-05-11 12:37 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Did a race as a speed workout today. I was not sure if I was going to be able to run the race due to work, but was able to. Finished faster than expected. I am glad that I got the speed workout in today because my speed workout tomorrow looks like it will not happen due to some "happenings" around here. I am not sure I am up to running 3.5 miles in body armor.

But finished the 5k (3.5 miles) in 27:25 today, averaged 7:49 PPM. Did not do a RR just logged it as a run day.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.
2014-05-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jbwills Did a race as a speed workout today. I was not sure if I was going to be able to run the race due to work, but was able to. Finished faster than expected. I am glad that I got the speed workout in today because my speed workout tomorrow looks like it will not happen due to some "happenings" around here. I am not sure I am up to running 3.5 miles in body armor. But finished the 5k (3.5 miles) in 27:25 today, averaged 7:49 PPM. Did not do a RR just logged it as a run day. Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

Well done, Desert Rose. Stay safe out there. We've got your back in the unseen things since we can't physically be right there with you.

2014-05-11 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jbwills Did a race as a speed workout today. I was not sure if I was going to be able to run the race due to work, but was able to. Finished faster than expected. I am glad that I got the speed workout in today because my speed workout tomorrow looks like it will not happen due to some "happenings" around here. I am not sure I am up to running 3.5 miles in body armor. But finished the 5k (3.5 miles) in 27:25 today, averaged 7:49 PPM. Did not do a RR just logged it as a run day. Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

Well done, Desert Rose. Stay safe out there. We've got your back in the unseen things since we can't physically be right there with you.

x2!

2014-05-11 1:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Great job on your races, Tom and Jonathan!!  Jonathan, maybe tomorrow will count as a "strength" day with all the body armor and mental exertion?  Sending extra protective thoughts your way.

Stacey, I'm thinking either Lila or Flo. 

Randee, love your cat names!!  Animal names are so fun.  I had a friend who named her dogs Angstrom and Quark (she and her husband met as students at MIT).  When I was growing up, we named one of our Welsh Terrier puppies Spinach.  Our very busy border collie is named Shanti ("peace" in Sanskrit); a misnomer if I ever heard one.  That was her name when we got her and it just didn't seem right to change it.  Our little black cat is Cricket, nicknamed Hoot.  She has big yellow eyes and when she puts her ears back she looks like an owl, especially when perched on top of my closet doors.

2014-05-11 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jbwills

Did a race as a speed workout today. I was not sure if I was going to be able to run the race due to work, but was able to. Finished faster than expected. I am glad that I got the speed workout in today because my speed workout tomorrow looks like it will not happen due to some "happenings" around here. I am not sure I am up to running 3.5 miles in body armor.

But finished the 5k (3.5 miles) in 27:25 today, averaged 7:49 PPM. Did not do a RR just logged it as a run day.

thinking of you today and praying that you all stay safe.
2014-05-11 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK I need some help Manatees. I need to find a name for our puppy that is staying. This is her (bit of an old photo she is twice this size now):
LOVE HER In Greyhound kennels, a lot of the kennels will name the puppies using part of the mother's name. IE: our girl was Tola Jewel and all her siblings were something Jewel or Skeeter because her mother was Jewels Skeeter http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=0hb5_r&d=tola+jewel&x=0&y=0So just a thought - what was her mother's name? or you could go something tri related - our cats are Cadence and Velocity Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D

Her mother's name is Poh

I can't believe that you remembered that. Her mum's name is actually "Princess Poh" and her Dads name is Dexter. Her name will have to start with Lladnek because that is our breeding prefix and in Australia that always comes first.

We normally let the new owners pik names because it saves me coming up with them because I really suck at it. I do veto every now and then like there is now way that I am registering a mastiff with the name "Ding Ding" as has been requested. Two of the boys will be Zeus and Hercules so I had thought of naming the whole litter after Greek and Roman gods but Phil doesn't like the idea.
2014-05-11 7:18 PM

User image

Master

LOVE HER In Greyhound kennels, a lot of the kennels will name the puppies using part of the mother's name. IE: our girl was Tola Jewel and all her siblings were something Jewel or Skeeter because her mother was Jewels Skeeter http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=0hb5_r&d=tola+jewel&x=0&y... So just a thought - what was her mother's name? or you could go something tri related - our cats are Cadence and Velocity Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D

Her mother's name is Poh

I can't believe that you remembered that. Her mum's name is actually "Princess Poh" and her Dads name is Dexter. Her name will have to start with Lladnek because that is our breeding prefix and in Australia that always comes first. We normally let the new owners pik names because it saves me coming up with them because I really suck at it. I do veto every now and then like there is now way that I am registering a mastiff with the name "Ding Ding" as has been requested. Two of the boys will be Zeus and Hercules so I had thought of naming the whole litter after Greek and Roman gods but Phil doesn't like the idea.

Tallulah. 

2014-05-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Originally posted by bcraht

LOVE HER In Greyhound kennels, a lot of the kennels will name the puppies using part of the mother's name. IE: our girl was Tola Jewel and all her siblings were something Jewel or Skeeter because her mother was Jewels Skeeter http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=0hb5_r&d=tola+jewel&x=0&y=0So just a thought - what was her mother's name? or you could go something tri related - our cats are Cadence and Velocity Salty thanks for the instagram primer. My friend and I joke about how we are at or around 40 and just barely hanging on to popular culture. We don't want to be like our parents and posting on our own FB timeline because we don't get the difference between that and posting on someone ELSE's timeline :D

Her mother's name is Poh

I can't believe that you remembered that. Her mum's name is actually "Princess Poh" and her Dads name is Dexter. Her name will have to start with Lladnek because that is our breeding prefix and in Australia that always comes first. We normally let the new owners pik names because it saves me coming up with them because I really suck at it. I do veto every now and then like there is now way that I am registering a mastiff with the name "Ding Ding" as has been requested. Two of the boys will be Zeus and Hercules so I had thought of naming the whole litter after Greek and Roman gods but Phil doesn't like the idea.

Tallulah. 

APOHdite heeheehee (I know. I know. Just couldn't resist.)

2014-05-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Happy Mom's Day to all our forms of mommyhood We had kayaking plans, but the wind made us cancel. So I chose the climbing gym as plan B. It's been over a decade since I've been up any walls! It was fun... and a good workout to boot :D. As a bonus, I got to choose lunch at my favorite veggie burger and sweet potato fries place. Oh happy day!
2014-05-12 5:58 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by ponderingfox

I love a good sprint finish!!
2014-05-12 5:59 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by jbwills

Nice!
2014-05-12 7:32 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
East Texas
RACE WEEK!!! Man I'm nervous. Especially about the Marathon since I've never run a marathon before.

I've done all I can. Today is a rest day followed by very short tuneups in all 3 sports Tuesday - Friday. Then it's on!
2014-05-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JJ-RACE WEEK!!! Man I'm nervous. Especially about the Marathon since I've never run a marathon before. I've done all I can. Today is a rest day followed by very short tuneups in all 3 sports Tuesday - Friday. Then it's on!
Try to relax a bit! Ok, ok, I know that's not possible, so at least enjoy the easy week! You got this.

2014-05-12 8:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Tom and Jonathan TN!

Chris, I hope that the ride went well.  TJ, I hope that you had fun at your race

Jonathan TX, it's all in the bank...

Have a great week everyone!

2014-05-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, thanks the ride went pretty well. I had a brake rub when I started, so the first 5-8 miles was spent pushing like crazy to catch up to a group I was "supposed" to ride with. I ended up with a different group, which became a larger group, which became a smaller group when the Big Dogs took off. I then gapped to the Dogs with two tourist triathlete women that I ended up with. Two more guys caught up to us, then the Dogs turned off and we kept pushing for the last 10 miles or so, including a sprint point that we usually contest in our group rides. We dropped the two guys and I ended up pulling for the final 5, which might sound good, but I admit to having tail wind assistance  The pulling was good solo practice, and in retrospect I spent nearly 50% of the ride solo or pulling, which makes me very happy.

Tom and Jonathan - Great job on your weekends!

Tejas - Keep on plan, you are ready to rock. You have loaded the stove with wood, now is the time to prepare the fire to burn.

2014-05-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
GREAT Weekend all around! YAY!

Congrats Tom and Jonathan.

The weather FINALLY was beautiful here for mothers day. AHHHHH Happy belated mothers day for all you MOMs (both to human and fur kids)

2014-05-12 9:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Excellent work, Foxy, Jonathan and Chris!  Yes, please stay safe, Jon.

Other Jonathan - savor the time before your race.  Do some positive mental imagery - picture yourself racing the race you want, each part; being strong/fast/whatever your main goal is and having fun doing it.  So exciting!

Naming the puppy: I was thinking Manny for the manatees, but that might not work for a girl dog name.

Edited by melbo55 2014-05-12 10:00 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64692 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28171 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16395 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100374 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.