BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Santa Fe is being covered in a blanket of snow. I need to run 3 miles today. I packed indoor and outdoor running gear. AAAAND my boss is having his going away party tonight on the other side of town. Training dilemmas

2015-01-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ugh. Jussssst kidding. Rescheduled again.

How do you lawyers deal with this ambiguity. Sheesh. 

Well, boooooo. Sorry about that. How annoying and stressful...like you can just keep rearranging and rescheduling your life. I hope you get law-backed closure soon.

That's pretty much life dealing with the legal justice system...

lol....so just annoying and stressful?

What's fun (irritating) is sitting in the courtroom, next to the prosecutor, and being completely irrelevant/invisible when they are setting dates/times for future court dates.

try spitting on them and see if they see you then!

Think of that is totally going to make me laugh the next time I'm in court!

2015-01-13 10:53 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Techdiver I can't spend time to catch up with everyone. Too busy at work.. My coles notes. Monica new house. Dogs ate couch triathlon team made and new uniform. Cute kitten up for adoption. No one let my other half know or I will end up with more cats. I shoveled wet heavy snow last night and snapped my snow shovel and yelled F*%K really loud and counted it as a workout before my spin class. I earned it. My fav Shovel gone.

Bummer!!  The ice scraper broke the other day while scraping ice from freezing rain off the windshield.  Admittedly I never liked it, but it was still annoying.  Luckily I had a replacement or I would have been even later for work.  Hope you can get a decent replacement soon.

2015-01-13 11:03 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Went to my 1st PT appointment yesterday.  She thinks the knee problems are being caused by some hip instability, which isn't surprising given that it's the hip that's been surgically repaired twice.  Ankle instability could also be a contributing factor so she wants to see me in my running shoes on the treadmill next time. She gave me some balance and more hip strengthening exercises, which will be easy enough to incorporate into my strength workouts.

Steve, you mentioned in Tri Talk that you'd had knee problems and switched between shoes with a lot of cushion and stability shoes during the week and that seems to help prevent knee problems.  That sounds like it might be something for me to look into as well.  Definitely not going to do the Zion HM (boo!) but I should be in good shape by tri season.

Speaking of strength workouts, I've totally fallen off the wagon.  Didn't do any last week and I'm way off track in the SMMMMMMMMMMMC.  Time to knuckle down again!

2015-01-13 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Went to my 1st PT appointment yesterday.  She thinks the knee problems are being caused by some hip instability, which isn't surprising given that it's the hip that's been surgically repaired twice.  Ankle instability could also be a contributing factor so she wants to see me in my running shoes on the treadmill next time. She gave me some balance and more hip strengthening exercises, which will be easy enough to incorporate into my strength workouts.

Steve, you mentioned in Tri Talk that you'd had knee problems and switched between shoes with a lot of cushion and stability shoes during the week and that seems to help prevent knee problems.  That sounds like it might be something for me to look into as well.  Definitely not going to do the Zion HM (boo!) but I should be in good shape by tri season.

Speaking of strength workouts, I've totally fallen off the wagon.  Didn't do any last week and I'm way off track in the SMMMMMMMMMMMC.  Time to knuckle down again!

Back to work for you! Hopefully you'll get it all sorted out quickly.

I would still love to do the HM in Moab with my niece in April but we are still so up in the air until we have DS2's graduation date.

2015-01-13 11:32 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Santa Fe is being covered in a blanket of snow. I need to run 3 miles today. I packed indoor and outdoor running gear. AAAAND my boss is having his going away party tonight on the other side of town. Training dilemmas

How far is the other side of town? You could run there

2015-01-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

How far is the other side of town? You could run there

Way more than the 3 miles I have planned.

2015-01-13 11:52 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

I am starting to consider some of these shoes with huge cushion like the Hooka one one or however it is spelled. The best shoes I had were brooks glycerin about 3 years/3 models ago. Then they kept taking out cushion adding more plastic support. It isn't the cushiony shoe that it used to be. I used the newer lighter shoe at my last half marathon and really the last 4 km I was in knee and Achilles pain. It took me 8 months to get back to running 5 km here and there.

a few people I know with Knee issues have had good things to say so I am considering it. I am also a Clyde so keep in mind my weight and I am short and stocky. Not built for this sport but I love it anyway.
2015-01-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I'M PART OF A LOCAL TRIATHLON TEAM! I missed the cutoff, but was able to plead my case and get on Team HFP.  Their tri uniform looks pretty sweet, have to say.  I'll try to get some picks up as I get things sorted out.  Being part of a local team is cool because sometimes it's hard to find other people who can relate to triathlon. Excited!

Holy cow guys, email tells me I'm 90-some posts behind.

YAY FOXY!!  Sweet news, so exciting!

2015-01-13 12:19 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Havok Legs were still pretty sore from this weekend but managed to swim 300 meters pretty smoothly. Really getting comfortable with the technique but my current issue is getting too much water in my mouth when I roll over to breath. Is there a secret to it? Bought new goggles that work perfectly during lunch too! Aqua sphere kayennes!

Nice!  I think swimming is a nice way of recovering from a tough bike or run session, getting the legs 'shook out' without really taxing them further.  Congrats on the progress, slow and steady is good!  As far as water in your mouth when you breathe - perhaps try to tuck the chin back just a bit toward the shoulder as you breathe; there seems to be a pocket of air there.  Not a full-on, chin to shoulder move, but just a little movement sideways and back rather than sideways. 

2015-01-13 12:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

I am glad that you have some direction.

I think in terms of strength and falling off the wagon, this is a good time to use it to get this instability fixed up. Stability is ultimately strength. Use it as motivation.

*Think about opposites. The muscles opposite of the ones bothering you. Work those to develop strength and stability. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-13 12:22 PM

2015-01-13 12:23 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by TechdiverI am starting to consider some of these shoes with huge cushion like the Hooka one one or however it is spelled. The best shoes I had were brooks glycerin about 3 years/3 models ago. Then they kept taking out cushion adding more plastic support. It isn't the cushiony shoe that it used to be. I used the newer lighter shoe at my last half marathon and really the last 4 km I was in knee and Achilles pain. It took me 8 months to get back to running 5 km here and there. a few people I know with Knee issues have had good things to say so I am considering it. I am also a Clyde so keep in mind my weight and I am short and stocky. Not built for this sport but I love it anyway.

I have Hoka One One's Bondi S2's and love them.  They're super cushiony, which helps reduce impact on my back and hips.  The only drawback with them is that even though they're light relative to all the cushioning you get, they still feel a little clunky.  I'm considering getting one of their lighter, less cushioned shoes for racing--like maybe Cliftons or Huakas--especially the shorter races where I can get away with less cushion.

2015-01-13 12:54 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Techdiver

I am starting to consider some of these shoes with huge cushion like the Hooka one one or however it is spelled. The best shoes I had were brooks glycerin about 3 years/3 models ago. Then they kept taking out cushion adding more plastic support. It isn't the cushiony shoe that it used to be. I used the newer lighter shoe at my last half marathon and really the last 4 km I was in knee and Achilles pain. It took me 8 months to get back to running 5 km here and there. a few people I know with Knee issues have had good things to say so I am considering it. I am also a Clyde so keep in mind my weight and I am short and stocky. Not built for this sport but I love it anyway.

My husband bought Hoka Cliftons a few weeks before IMAZ...used them for it and had no issues with foot/knee pain. Another option you could check out is the Altras. Similar to Hokas, with a wider toe box.

2015-01-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

I think in terms of strength and falling off the wagon, this is a good time to use it to get this instability fixed up. Stability is ultimately strength. Use it as motivation.

*Think about opposites. The muscles opposite of the ones bothering you. Work those to develop strength and stability. 

I was surprised to find out that my hips seem pretty comparable strength-wise with the exception of rotational stability/strength on the side where I had the surgeries.  I just thought that side was significantly weaker overall because I feel it more and it gets sore more quickly; I'm happy to find out it's not.  The exercises are to be done bilaterally, which can only help, I'm sure.  I'm definitely using this knee thing as motivation to get back at the training.  I really like doing tris and if I can't run, well, tris are off the table.  That is NOT an option at this point.  I've worked too hard to get here (oh, have spent a lot of money on gear, of course ).

2015-01-13 1:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I was surprised to find out that my hips seem pretty comparable strength-wise with the exception of rotational stability/strength on the side where I had the surgeries.  I just thought that side was significantly weaker overall because I feel it more and it gets sore more quickly; I'm happy to find out it's not.  The exercises are to be done bilaterally, which can only help, I'm sure.  I'm definitely using this knee thing as motivation to get back at the training.  I really like doing tris and if I can't run, well, tris are off the table.  That is NOT an option at this point.  I've worked too hard to get here (oh, have spent a lot of money on gear, of course ).

Hoping they get your knee back in tip-top shape in no time!

2015-01-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

I am starting to consider some of these shoes with huge cushion like the Hooka one one or however it is spelled. The best shoes I had were brooks glycerin about 3 years/3 models ago. Then they kept taking out cushion adding more plastic support. It isn't the cushiony shoe that it used to be. I used the newer lighter shoe at my last half marathon and really the last 4 km I was in knee and Achilles pain. It took me 8 months to get back to running 5 km here and there. a few people I know with Knee issues have had good things to say so I am considering it. I am also a Clyde so keep in mind my weight and I am short and stocky. Not built for this sport but I love it anyway.

My husband bought Hoka Cliftons a few weeks before IMAZ...used them for it and had no issues with foot/knee pain. Another option you could check out is the Altras. Similar to Hokas, with a wider toe box.

Altra shoes vary more in the cushion than Hoka does. The ones that are likely to be up with Hoka are the four with wither Max or High Cushioning as listed on their site. They do have a wider to box than about anyone, and also have no difference in thickness between the heel & forefoot (hence the "zero drop"). Some people are fine with that, many need time to get used to it, and for others it's too much.

2015-01-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

Altra shoes vary more in the cushion than Hoka does. The ones that are likely to be up with Hoka are the four with wither Max or High Cushioning as listed on their site. They do have a wider to box than about anyone, and also have no difference in thickness between the heel & forefoot (hence the "zero drop"). Some people are fine with that, many need time to get used to it, and for others it's too much.

Good point about the heel/toe drop and just another variable to consider with all the options out there.  I've got about 175 miles on my Hoka Cliftons and really, really like them.  I was used to a drop of about 10-12mm and the Clifton's 5mm drop took a little getting used to.  I moved to a greater drop a few years ago to help alievate some achilles issues I was having.

The Clifton's have been great and I find that soreness late in a run and the next day are much less than with any other shoe I've tried.  Downhill running especially is less jarring and on long descents I no longer have quad pain/soreness.  I have a net downhill marathon in March and these are going to be great.

Also, I was reluctant to try the Hoka until I saw the Clifton.  They have a smaller footprint and are less bulky than other models.  They weigh less than 8 ounces which is amazing given the amount of cushioning they provide.  I have no hesitation in doing fast tempo runs with them.  Can't quite bring myself to race a 5k in them but close.

The only downside is that I do need a tad bit more stability or my knees start to get sore.  As I mentioned earlier, I rotate a mild stability shoe to help even things out. 

2015-01-13 4:50 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

Good point about the heel/toe drop and just another variable to consider with all the options out there.  I've got about 175 miles on my Hoka Cliftons and really, really like them.  I was used to a drop of about 10-12mm and the Clifton's 5mm drop took a little getting used to.  I moved to a greater drop a few years ago to help alievate some achilles issues I was having.

The Clifton's have been great and I find that soreness late in a run and the next day are much less than with any other shoe I've tried.  Downhill running especially is less jarring and on long descents I no longer have quad pain/soreness.  I have a net downhill marathon in March and these are going to be great.

Also, I was reluctant to try the Hoka until I saw the Clifton.  They have a smaller footprint and are less bulky than other models.  They weigh less than 8 ounces which is amazing given the amount of cushioning they provide.  I have no hesitation in doing fast tempo runs with them.  Can't quite bring myself to race a 5k in them but close.

The only downside is that I do need a tad bit more stability or my knees start to get sore.  As I mentioned earlier, I rotate a mild stability shoe to help even things out. 

Steve, 2 questions for you:

1. Did the greater drop help your Achilles issues or do you think something else did?
  2. What stability shoe do you use now?
2015-01-13 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense.

Has anyone done past years? What did you think?
2015-01-13 5:32 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Every runner I know who has some sort of running pain also has weak hips.

So start doing those core exercises and lots and lots of squats :D

Hope it starts to help soon. I've always said a good PT is better than an MD!
2015-01-13 6:45 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by tcarlson78

Who is going to do TR's Sufferlandria 2015? It looks like fun but I don't want to blow myself up by doing that and doing Cycle Club at our local YMCA. I like the idea of watching some of the videos but that adds extra expense.

Has anyone done past years? What did you think?

I'm still undecided. I probably will be stupid enough to do it again. I did last years. It was tough to start off with but felt like it became more manageable as the week went on.i don't think I was doing anything other than ToS last year (edit:just checked logs, I did one recovery run, but was suffering from shin splints). It is doable, but I think you'd have to let a lot of other training slide for the week.

2015-01-13 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

Steve, 2 questions for you:

1. Did the greater drop help your Achilles issues or do you think something else did?
  2. What stability shoe do you use now?

I went through three years of constant achilles issues from overtraining and lack of patience.  What finally pulled me out of it, and it's been two years now, was backing off on intensity and duration of workouts but keep frequency.  I felt better if I kept moving but at a greatly reduced effort.  I tried long breaks from running but it always came right back until I had GRADUALLY allowed myself to build back up.

A greater drop took a little of the pressure off the tendon at the time.  I also altered my gait so I could keep running.  I shortened my stride and kind of shuffled.  Anything I could do to minimize strain and pressure on the tendon.

The stability shoe I use now is the Mizuno Hayate which is like a trail performance trainer.  Before this I was rotating in the Mizuno Elixir.  I've also used the Mizuno Sayonara and Mizuno Wave Inspire.

2015-01-13 10:30 PM

User image

I am starting to consider some of these shoes with huge cushion like the Hooka one one or however it is spelled. The best shoes I had were brooks glycerin about 3 years/3 models ago. Then they kept taking out cushion adding more plastic support. It isn't the cushiony shoe that it used to be. I used the newer lighter shoe at my last half marathon and really the last 4 km I was in knee and Achilles pain. It took me 8 months to get back to running 5 km here and there.

a few people I know with Knee issues have had good things to say so I am considering it. I am also a Clyde so keep in mind my weight and I am short and stocky. Not built for this sport but I love it anyway.

I had surgery on my ankle and foot 4 years ago and at this point I'm putting off having surgery again to replace the posterior tibial tendon . The surgeon who did my first surgery cut the tendon to the minimum length, which would be fine for most people. However, for some reason my body decided that extra scar tissue around the pins, ankle, and foot sounded like an excellent idea. As a result the tendon has to take a different track and really isn't long enough to do so. I also have some nerves that have been affected, resulting in many days it feels like every step I take is like I'm hitting my funny bone with a hammer.

I made the switch to the Hoka Conquest after my last HIM. I love them! I rotate them between my stability shoe, Asic Kayano, I was never bothered by the weight of the Hoka because the Kayano are heavy as well. It did take time to adjust to the different drops. I can't run on the treadmill in the Hokas because it caused some shin issues. The Hokas cradle my foot so well that I wish I could wear them every day, all day. While they haven't made all of my pain go away, it has reduced the pain level by a lot. My husband, who is training for his second marathon, also switched to Hoka and he has had no knee pain at all since making the switch.

Try the Hokas. To me they are worth every cent!
2015-01-14 5:16 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Thank you my Manatee friends. I got home from work and had Manatee Christmas cards in my mail box
2015-01-14 6:31 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Oh Joy...

Problem 1. Dropped laptop, whilst pulling out the trainer this morning, snapping my ant+ stick in the process. Grabbed my spare one only to find it doesn't work with the kickr because it's only ant+ 1.0 and not ant+ 2.0.

-Could be worse. I could be worrying how I'm going to put food on the table for my starving children.

Problem 2. Ok, get out and run instead. Open door to find a nice layer of ice and snow, no grit/salt in sight. Carry on regardless. Pace dropped to keep footing. Pain in shin develops after about 3 miles (due to change in gait?). Struggle home to feel sorry for myself.

-Could be worse, that ice and snow is a mere hindrance to my plans. At least I had a roof over my head last night when it was falling.

Problem 3. I get 5 minutes into my run when my Mp3 player dies.

-Could be worse, I could have been trialed for listening to music and sentenced to imprisonment and lashings if I lived in Terhan.

First world problems hey!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55426 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.