BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

I think that I may "need" holiday themed swim caps.  I've seen them on swimoutlet before but I'm not seeing anything now.  Any ideas of where else to look?

ETA -- Swimmer's Choice seems to have a selection.   They are pretty expensive though.  Any other ideas?

I see them advertised at swim outlet. Try this link.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/newsletter/cp10122/

Thanks. Sadly all of the swim caps say "This item has been discontinued and is no longer available."  FALSE ADVERTISING!  Boo!

What?! Guess I should have looked more closely.

Some day I am getting one of these

That's awesome!  

x2!

That is awesome!!  If only the LS version wasn't so $$$, I'd be all over it! 

Edited by melbo55 2013-11-19 1:35 PM

2013-11-19 1:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

I think that I may "need" holiday themed swim caps.  I've seen them on swimoutlet before but I'm not seeing anything now.  Any ideas of where else to look?

ETA -- Swimmer's Choice seems to have a selection.   They are pretty expensive though.  Any other ideas?

I see them advertised at swim outlet. Try this link.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/newsletter/cp10122/

Thanks. Sadly all of the swim caps say "This item has been discontinued and is no longer available."  FALSE ADVERTISING!  Boo!

What?! Guess I should have looked more closely.

Some day I am getting one of these

That's awesome!  

x2!

That is awesome!!  If only the LS version wasn't so $$$, I'd be all over it! 

My thoughts exactly

2013-11-19 4:35 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
This time next week I will be in Thailand with Macca, the camp is being held there - wtih coaches such as Belinda and Justin Granger, Jurgen Zack.

I just read the start list - listed are PJ, Clayton, Tamsin Lewis.

Ben Greenfield is racing and has a nutrition camp but has promised to come drink cocktails with me.

Can i just say how FACHING excited i am.
2013-11-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi guys sorry I have been absent for a few days.

Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too.

I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case?

I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?
2013-11-19 5:40 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys sorry I have been absent for a few days. Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too. I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case? I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?

I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about trainer road.  Here's a link to the site.  You can use it with your ipad. 

2013-11-19 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jobaxas This time next week I will be in Thailand with Macca, the camp is being held there - wtih coaches such as Belinda and Justin Granger, Jurgen Zack. I just read the start list - listed are PJ, Clayton, Tamsin Lewis. Ben Greenfield is racing and has a nutrition camp but has promised to come drink cocktails with me. Can i just say how FACHING excited i am.

Is it wrong  that the only name i know is Macca!?  Hanging out in Thailand (or anyplace) with him would make me very happy. 

2013-11-19 6:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys sorry I have been absent for a few days. Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too. I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case? I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?

I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about trainer road.  Here's a link to the site.  You can use it with your ipad. 

Don't think it can be used with an iPad because you would need to attach an ant + stick to it.

I have seen a site somewhere that has a load of plans on there where you can go by effort. Will have a good dig about for it.
2013-11-19 6:40 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
2013-11-19 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

Try those Stacey.

Stacey, if cash is tight, why not keep an eye out for cheap 2nd hand desktops on eBay after Christmas after all the brats have had new. Should pick up a bargain. You don't need a computer with a big spec on it for trainer road, I paid 30 pound for one off eBay the other week specifically to use as my TR computer. That came with all the peripherals and a flat screen monitor for that price. I bet if you look on free cycle after Christmas you'll pick one up for nothing.
2013-11-19 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Don't think it can be used with an iPad because you would need to attach an ant + stick to it.

I have seen a site somewhere that has a load of plans on there where you can go by effort. Will have a good dig about for it.

Just double checked. You def can't use ipad on TR at the moment. They have 3 coders working on it, but then, they have been working on it for over 6 months with no joy, and Nate says don't expect anything this side of Christmas.
2013-11-19 9:05 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by jobaxas This time next week I will be in Thailand with Macca, the camp is being held there - wtih coaches such as Belinda and Justin Granger, Jurgen Zack. I just read the start list - listed are PJ, Clayton, Tamsin Lewis. Ben Greenfield is racing and has a nutrition camp but has promised to come drink cocktails with me. Can i just say how FACHING excited i am.

That sounds AMAZING!  Have a fruity drink for me.  

2013-11-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
2013-11-19 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by StaceyK

Jo your trip sounds amazing! I hope somehow some really good things come out of it work wise too.

I have a bike question - does anyone have some good ideas for bike training plans? I ride on my trainer during the week and sometimes on the weekend especially if it is really hot which it looks like this summer will be. But I get bored and just end up riding easy and don't think that I am making many improvements. I have read a few times that riding is the opposite to running in that you should ride often mostly hard sometime easy, is that the case?

I don't have a computer anywhere near my trainer and I don't really have the spare funds to get one but I do have my iPad which I can use. If I am not a very good rider (average speed at average effort is about 20kph) what would you all suggest.?

I would do some heart rate work.,

increase your cadence or your gear intensity to increase your heart rate. I tend to stay in zone 1-2 on the bike but if i throw some intervals in then i'm up to zone 4.

Here is one example where i don't do it to HR but rather to speed.

5 minute warm up
40 seconds in a harder gear as fast as you can pedal (aim for 27-30kph)
80 seconds drop back two gears and recover (aim for 20-25kph)

Repeat this 40/80 seconds 3 more times, total of four.

Recover for 4 mins. (15-20kph)

Do the 40/80 thing again four times

Recover for 4 mins

If you can do a final set. Never do more than three times.

This is one of Macca and Crowie's go to sets on the trainer it's called over/unders. I prefer to call it over chunder (BYO bucket)

Don't underestimate how faching hard this is.

2013-11-19 9:23 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jobaxas

Another good one from Macca

5 minute warm up.

Then in aero high cadence going fairly hard then recover maintain cadence drop gears stay in aero. - times as below
10min hard
1min recover
9min hard
2min recover
8min hard
3mind recover
7min hard
4 min recover
6 min hard
5min cooldown/recover

This is called Stackers. not as tough as Over / Unders but still tough enough.
2013-11-19 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4884511

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Stacey,

I love the Sufferfest training videos. They will kick your butt every time. I used them with TrainerRoad, but you do not need to use TR to get the benefit from Sufferfest.

Sufferfest does also have some training plans for different sports and different lengths.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
2013-11-20 2:04 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jbwills

Stacey,

I love the Sufferfest training videos. They will kick your butt every time. I used them with TrainerRoad, but you do not need to use TR to get the benefit from Sufferfest.

Sufferfest does also have some training plans for different sports and different lengths.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Hey Jonathan Great to see you. How are you going?

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

2013-11-20 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jbwills Stacey, I love the Sufferfest training videos. They will kick your butt every time. I used them with TrainerRoad, but you do not need to use TR to get the benefit from Sufferfest. Sufferfest does also have some training plans for different sports and different lengths. Hope this helps. Jonathan
Hey Jonathan Great to see you. How are you going? Thanks for all the great info everyone.

Stacey, I think your basic premise works, and is something I have been doing successfully over the past 6 months or so. Ride at a higher intensity more often. If you do it with videos on the trainer or out on the road, it is all good. I have found a group that I ride with that pushes me, because right now I am a "tweener". By that I mean that the fast group is a bit too much for me and the second group is a bit slow for me. So I push myself to stick with the "A" group as long as I can and then fall back to the second group near the end of the ride. You are probably challenged to find a group out by you, if I recall. 

No matter what tools you use, try to commit to killing it out there on occasion and I promise you'll see some gains. Good on ya for looking for the improvements!!!!

2013-11-20 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You should have a great time!  I look forward to hearing about it

2013-11-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jbwills Stacey, I love the Sufferfest training videos. They will kick your butt every time. I used them with TrainerRoad, but you do not need to use TR to get the benefit from Sufferfest. Sufferfest does also have some training plans for different sports and different lengths. Hope this helps. Jonathan
Hey Jonathan Great to see you. How are you going? Thanks for all the great info everyone.

Stacey, I think your basic premise works, and is something I have been doing successfully over the past 6 months or so. Ride at a higher intensity more often. If you do it with videos on the trainer or out on the road, it is all good. I have found a group that I ride with that pushes me, because right now I am a "tweener". By that I mean that the fast group is a bit too much for me and the second group is a bit slow for me. So I push myself to stick with the "A" group as long as I can and then fall back to the second group near the end of the ride. You are probably challenged to find a group out by you, if I recall. 

No matter what tools you use, try to commit to killing it out there on occasion and I promise you'll see some gains. Good on ya for looking for the improvements!!!!

That's the basic idea, pushing strong for awhile. Can be broken down in a number of ways. Various ways to monitor the intensity to target ares too.

2013-11-20 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

EEEEEEEE!!!

So very, very cool!  Please take loads of pictures too, so that we (i.e. me) can live vicariously through you.   

2013-11-20 2:37 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Artemis

manatee hug

Awww - Manatee hugs!   

2013-11-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

That's the basic idea, pushing strong for awhile. Can be broken down in a number of ways. Various ways to monitor the intensity to target ares too.

I echo what was already said - push yourself and you will see improvements.  

Jonathan mentioned the Sufferfest videos, and while I'm still scared of the SF videos, I keep saying I'm going to try them - and I will!  They're relatively inexpensive at $13 each, but I'm not sure if they will work on an iPad?  Maybe someone else can chime in on that if you're interested.   

2013-11-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Artemis

manatee hug

Love this!!!

2013-11-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

I echo what was already said - push yourself and you will see improvements.  

Jonathan mentioned the Sufferfest videos, and while I'm still scared of the SF videos, I keep saying I'm going to try them - and I will!  They're relatively inexpensive at $13 each, but I'm not sure if they will work on an iPad?  Maybe someone else can chime in on that if you're interested.   

No experience of any kind with an iPad, but they have worked on my iPhone.

2013-11-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Just a funny before I run get Taylor from school

Attachments
----------------
IMG_36894138789640.jpeg (29KB - 9 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.