General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-10 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2527415

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

I am at the Courtyard as well.  With being this close to the start and finish, looks like I won't be needing a rental car.  

2009-12-22 10:12 AM

Regular
wetsuit with sleeves or sleeveless. I realize that the water temperature was around 63 degrees on race morning. I also realize that most would obviously recommend a wetsuit with sleeves just based on the temperature but also based on full sleeves are considered faster.

My issue is I feel clausterphopic in a full wetsuit and usually start the swim with a panic attack that I work through and eventually get into a rythym. Both of my wetsuits fit properly it's just that the full suit is more restrictive than the sleeveless one for what I like.

Now a sleeveless suit gives me NO issues. I don't have the panic attack and I am just plain more comfortable and confident in a sleeveless wetsuit.

For those of you that swam did anybody wear a sleeveless suit? If you did, how did you feel upon exiting the water? Were you too cold to deal with the transition quickly or was the cold not an issue upon exiting the water? I have a reasonable tolerance for cold and really want to wear a sleeveless suit for the reasons mentioned above.

For those of you who went sleeveless were you happy with your decision after the swim was over? Or did you regret that decision?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
2009-12-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2573021

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
wasabi - 2009-12-22 8:12 AM wetsuit with sleeves or sleeveless. I realize that the water temperature was around 63 degrees on race morning. I also realize that most would obviously recommend a wetsuit with sleeves just based on the temperature but also based on full sleeves are considered faster. My issue is I feel clausterphopic in a full wetsuit and usually start the swim with a panic attack that I work through and eventually get into a rythym. Both of my wetsuits fit properly it's just that the full suit is more restrictive than the sleeveless one for what I like. Now a sleeveless suit gives me NO issues. I don't have the panic attack and I am just plain more comfortable and confident in a sleeveless wetsuit. For those of you that swam did anybody wear a sleeveless suit? If you did, how did you feel upon exiting the water? Were you too cold to deal with the transition quickly or was the cold not an issue upon exiting the water? I have a reasonable tolerance for cold and really want to wear a sleeveless suit for the reasons mentioned above. For those of you who went sleeveless were you happy with your decision after the swim was over? Or did you regret that decision? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I recommend sleeves. For me at IMAZ this year the water was  cold. So cold, that I actually went 2 days before the race and purchased a new, smaller wetsuit because I could feel the 60 degree water rushing through my old suit and I was miserable after 2 practice swims. Even with the new suit, I was shivering by the end of the swim and it took me 13 minutes in transition just to get warm. I think I saw a few people in sleeveless suits and I'm not sure how the temperature affected them. Just my experience though.
2009-12-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2573021

User image

Expert
Chicago
wasabi - 2009-12-22 10:12 AM

wetsuit with sleeves or sleeveless. I realize that the water temperature was around 63 degrees on race morning. I also realize that most would obviously recommend a wetsuit with sleeves just based on the temperature but also based on full sleeves are considered faster.

My issue is I feel clausterphopic in a full wetsuit and usually start the swim with a panic attack that I work through and eventually get into a rythym. Both of my wetsuits fit properly it's just that the full suit is more restrictive than the sleeveless one for what I like.

Now a sleeveless suit gives me NO issues. I don't have the panic attack and I am just plain more comfortable and confident in a sleeveless wetsuit.

For those of you that swam did anybody wear a sleeveless suit? If you did, how did you feel upon exiting the water? Were you too cold to deal with the transition quickly or was the cold not an issue upon exiting the water? I have a reasonable tolerance for cold and really want to wear a sleeveless suit for the reasons mentioned above.

For those of you who went sleeveless were you happy with your decision after the swim was over? Or did you regret that decision?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Have you thought about picking up a pair of speed sleeves (QR) rather than buying a full-sleeve wetsuit?
2009-12-23 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2575206

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
RunningJayhawk - 2009-12-23 10:35 AM
wasabi - 2009-12-22 10:12 AM wetsuit with sleeves or sleeveless. I realize that the water temperature was around 63 degrees on race morning. I also realize that most would obviously recommend a wetsuit with sleeves just based on the temperature but also based on full sleeves are considered faster. My issue is I feel clausterphopic in a full wetsuit and usually start the swim with a panic attack that I work through and eventually get into a rythym. Both of my wetsuits fit properly it's just that the full suit is more restrictive than the sleeveless one for what I like. Now a sleeveless suit gives me NO issues. I don't have the panic attack and I am just plain more comfortable and confident in a sleeveless wetsuit. For those of you that swam did anybody wear a sleeveless suit? If you did, how did you feel upon exiting the water? Were you too cold to deal with the transition quickly or was the cold not an issue upon exiting the water? I have a reasonable tolerance for cold and really want to wear a sleeveless suit for the reasons mentioned above. For those of you who went sleeveless were you happy with your decision after the swim was over? Or did you regret that decision? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Have you thought about picking up a pair of speed sleeves (QR) rather than buying a full-sleeve wetsuit?

I used my sleeveless and used the QR Speed Sleeves at IMAZ this year--happy with the decision! plenty of arm movement, enough warmth, I liked it!
2009-12-24 3:19 AM

User image

Elite
SE
y'all would be smart to listen to brittany! girl whooped the IMAZ course. and while im at it, i would throw my .02$ in. PRACTICE MASS STARTS! get a few friends or more in a single lane and do several starts on a monthly basis to get familiar with that feeling if you are not a FOP swimmer.

Aside from the mid to late part of the run when my wheels started coming off, that was the worst part of the race for me, and could have been avoided with more pracitice in that type of situation

2009-12-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2575442

Regular
Thanks for the info on the "speed sleeves". I've never heard of those but think going sleeveless and then adding the "speed sleeves" is the way to go for me. That way it sounds like I will be able to maintain my arm movement freedom without having to go with the full wetsuit (which heightens my clausterphobia during the swim).

Thanks again for the idea to help me avoid my full sleeve wetsuit.
2009-12-28 11:24 AM

Veteran
TEXAS
2nd IMAZ for me. Staying at Spring Hill Suites on Rio Salado
2009-12-28 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I'm in for the first time!
2010-01-04 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2580108

User image

Regular

That works for me too! I am signed up for my first IM and swim in a sleeveless. As a volunteer I got to help the shivering swimmers in T1 at this years race, and needed a solution.

2010-01-06 6:15 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I just got an email from Hilton Honors.  they are having a sale on their hotels.  I just booked my room for $87.50 per night.  The Hampton is 2 miles away from the start and they have early breakfast ansd shuttle service on race day. 

In case you are interested
http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/promotions/hhonors_jansale/index.jhtml?wt.mc_id=CMEM_BLQlKiB74Mdfp6

2010-01-22 1:26 AM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I just got really excited seeing my name on the official list of participants for the race!!!!!!! (It's also reassuring that I'm really registered and there wasn't some computer malfunction)

http://www.ironmanusa.com/participants/lists/10arz.html
2010-01-27 10:29 AM

User image

plane tickets are available now! (they probably have been for a while)

i've decided that i want to ship my bike to and from the race. my friends are going hiking in the grand canyon for thanksgiving so i can just hop over there and meet them. and quite probably spend most of my time lying around the campsite sleeping while they hike. anyway, does anyone have recommendations/experience for a bike shipping service?

the only one i've discovered so far is TriBike Transport.

2010-01-28 1:36 AM

Does anyone know if there are Community Fund spots left?  I got mine last year in April and there were close to 200 left.  I checked today and they appear to be totally sold out.  Hoping I just looked in the wrong place...
2010-01-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2639130

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I took a look and it appears to be completely sold out.  The regular spots went so quick I guess I'm not surprised the Community Fund spots went fast as well.
2010-01-28 4:06 PM

User image

CF looks sold out. That's amazing.

If you go to another race, i.e., IMWI, there's an active link on the CF page that gives a CF option for entry. The active page for IMAZ only has the Cat S entry (or whatever it is), no CF.

2010-02-03 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2637301

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
a_prl - 2010-01-27 11:29 AM plane tickets are available now! (they probably have been for a while)

i've decided that i want to ship my bike to and from the race. my friends are going hiking in the grand canyon for thanksgiving so i can just hop over there and meet them. and quite probably spend most of my time lying around the campsite sleeping while they hike. anyway, does anyone have recommendations/experience for a bike shipping service?

the only one i've discovered so far is TriBike Transport.

I am not aware of any others. I used it last year for IMCdA and will be using it again. A very easy, organized system. Compared to the hassle and worry that goes with packing and shipping, I will always use them.
2010-02-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2640956

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
ChrisM - 2010-01-28 4:06 PM

If you go to another race, i.e., IMWI, there's an active link on the CF page that gives a CF option for entry. The active page for IMAZ only has the Cat S entry (or whatever it is), no CF.

This race has really come into it's own, Chris. The secret is out and people seem to be really drawn to the end of season date, good conditions, fast and convenient course.
2010-02-04 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2655290

User image

bryancd - 2010-02-04 11:31 AM

ChrisM - 2010-01-28 4:06 PM

This race has really come into it's own, Chris. The secret is out and people seem to be really drawn to the end of season date, good conditions, fast and convenient course.

not to mention how easy it is to qualify for Kona

Those are all good points. The change in date was genius (if not only to compete with Silverman) from a weather and training perspective, it can be fairly "easy" as IM courses go (a relative term for an IM, they all have unique challenges) and any IM I can drive to is good. Those are all reasons I'd go back and do it again. And spectator friendly

As far as the scenery, well... Although I had a friend that just did a tri camp in Kona and he said the first few miles out of town were drearier than the IMAZ course, so.....
2010-02-04 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
From what I remember the scenery at IMAZ was really nice. ...hot chicks everywhere!
2010-02-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2655397

User image

Slidell4life - 2010-02-04 11:57 AM

From what I remember the scenery at IMAZ was really nice. ...hot chicks everywhere!

true of every IM (I would imagine)

Edited by ChrisM 2010-02-04 2:03 PM

2010-02-04 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2655413

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
ChrisM - 2010-02-04 12:02 PM
Slidell4life - 2010-02-04 11:57 AM From what I remember the scenery at IMAZ was really nice. ...hot chicks everywhere!
true of every IM near ASU (I would imagine)

I fixed that for you.
2010-02-28 2:30 PM

Regular
I have a basic question for the folks that have completed IMAZ. It sounds like the majority if not all of the run is on concrete. I've read that you shouldn't train on concrete at all even if your race is going to be on concrete.

I remember doing a marathon on concrete and I was more sore than normal AND sore in some different places.

With that said, did you feel the pain of running on concrete during the race or after the race. Do you think you were more sore due to the marathon being on a concrete surface. OR, were you lucky enough that you didn't even notice the concrete. When I did IMOO, the marathon was fairly rough for me for a variety of reasons BUT that was mostly asphault if I remember correctly.

Just wondering!
2010-03-08 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Wasabi...you are correct that the run is on concrete/asphalt (99% of it at least).  I train almost all of my runs on sidewalks and didn't have any problems with the surface on race day.  I think it would be important to get acclimated with running on hard surfaces, but...the main thing is to show up healthy, that is priority one.  So, if you do all of your runs on trails try doing some shorter runs on sidewalks and see how it affects you.  Asphalt is actually softer than concrete, so even running on the road would be a nice transition.  The downside is running on paved surfaces are usually much more boring than what you are used to (irt scenery).

Edited by sax 2010-03-08 12:14 PM
2010-03-16 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2698218

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
wasabi - 2010-02-28 12:30 PM

I have a basic question for the folks that have completed IMAZ. It sounds like the majority if not all of the run is on concrete. I've read that you shouldn't train on concrete at all even if your race is going to be on concrete.

I remember doing a marathon on concrete and I was more sore than normal AND sore in some different places.

With that said, did you feel the pain of running on concrete during the race or after the race. Do you think you were more sore due to the marathon being on a concrete surface. OR, were you lucky enough that you didn't even notice the concrete. When I did IMOO, the marathon was fairly rough for me for a variety of reasons BUT that was mostly asphault if I remember correctly.

Just wondering!

I did my training runs mostly on the same type of surface as the race (paved trails and road). I felt great throughout the marathon - it was the best and happiest part of my day. I was without a doubt tired by the end of the day but my legs felt wonderful throughout (I attribute this to careful bike pacing).
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 28