Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-10-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3710349

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: slow runners pity party

Fun thread!  Slowpokes unite!

Last year at a 5K I got double-geezered!  I was plodding along when I hear footsteps approaching  me from the back.  Two 70-somethings must have been doing the race together and decided to split apart and pass me, one on each side!  Humiliating at first, but then I found great humor in it and just kept plodding on.

2011-10-05 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Most of the time it's all in our head.

So last Saturday the 5K I did starts off the homecoming parade. You basically run down a parade route that is lined with people. It's a lot of fun. So as i'm chugging along I start to get self conscious. It seemed like EVERYONE was looking at me. It was the one eyebrow raised kind of looks. A couple of kids were even pointing. People were taking pictures. Then I could hear them:

"Mommy look at that guy!"

"Oh my, that's silly."  

"What the?"

"He just looks ridiculous."

"Takes a lot of courage to wear that. HaHa"

By this point I am just trying to ignore the comments. I was happy I didn't wear my tri shorts. Can you imagine? Do I really look that bad? I finally mustered up good dose of who cares and sped up.  After all i'm out here for me. Who cares what they think.           

As I rounded the a corner I just happened to glance over my shoulder.  To my surprise there was a giant eyeball wearing a pink tutu running behind me. It looked like he was pacing me and trying to catch up. Guess he had been there for awhile, and he DID look ridiculous!

I'm an idiot. Embarassed

2011-10-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3711400

User image

Champion
Calgary
KansasMom - 2011-10-04 3:48 PM

I love you, claaaw. Seriously. You are awesome.

x2
2011-10-05 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I would like to join.

This year i have averaged more than 80km a week of running and my M PR is whopping 4:17:30. 5 months prior to the Marathon I average 92km a week running, for a 4:17:30 marathon. I know those are just numbers, but I find them horribly embarrassing and although I don't think about them everyday I do think about them way too often.

Slow is relative. Einstein said so.
2011-10-05 1:58 PM

New user
Boulder, CO

My strongest event leg of a tri is the swim, followed by the bike.  I am generally one of the first out of the water and am then passed by the strong cyclist on expensive bikes.  Then on the run about half of my age group passes me.  It sucks being the rabbit :-)

I was never a runner before I got into Triathlons ~4 years ago and now I've run a marathon.  I'm going to do a lot of running this winter to get my miles below 8 and hopefully into the 6 minute range. 

2011-10-05 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD???? 

Seriously? 

Yes I am a slow runner.  10mm is BLISTERING for me.  Sometimes I can get below that and occasionally dip into the 8s but typically I am around 11-12 minute miles.  Those days are few and far between and can count the number of sub 30 minute 5Ks I have run on one hand.  Amputees pass me, guys with AFOs pass me blind people pass me.  I have been passed by THOUSANDS on the run in olys, HIMs and IMs.  No, really go look at my race reports.  I have had the WORST run time of the ENTIRE race.  WHatever

SO

What have I done?

1-I have a coach
2-He has tried to help me with my gait but the majority of the coaching is remote
3-I saw Dr. Irene Davis PT, PhD and gait guru for a gait anaylsis and director of the running clinic at Harvard
4-4 sets of orthotics
5-More runnign shoes than I can count
6-Physical therapy
7-Personal trainers to try and help my gait
8-many many many run analyses

I'm no faster nor am I any less injured, but its ok because

1-I try my best every single time and thats all anyone can do
2-I've watched too many friends battle dread diseases and injuries who would be on cloud nine to be able to participate and run as slowly as I do
3-I work as hard at this as my body will allow me to

So yes I understand slow is relative and I am OK with my inner slowness but I would caution anyone running 7s or 8s to whine to me about being slow.

2011-10-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3712744

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am normally not into gimmicks, but I wanted to tell you guys about my recent shoe change that has helped me a lot with my running.  Granted, this won't work for everyone - especially if you have any injury issues.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Saucony Kinvaras on a whim.  I had a Groupon for a running store, it was going to expire, and the color of my regular shoe was ugly.   I asked about other options for a lighterweight shoe and this one worked AND was an awesome hot pink color.    They aren't advertised as racing flats, they are somewhere inbetween but very light.

I put these shoes on and I feel like I can really run.  The biggest difference is that I can feel my feet on the ground, so when I push off I really use my whole foot, leg, etc.   In my normal shoes (Asics Nimbus, very cushiony) I feel totally disconnected from this process.  

When I wear the Asics, my "easy" run is about 11:00 m/m.    When I put on the Kinvara's I am putting down nearer to 10s for a moderately easy run.      I don't think the ounces of weight matter (because honestly I am Athena too!), but the feeling is so different.    If you think you can handle a more minimal shoe, I really recommend trying this.   I personally think the Kinvara's rock and they aren't even that expensive.  My first pair was 90 and I got a pair on Zappos for 70 since the Kinvara 2 is now out.
2011-10-05 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3712750

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I actually like the Kinvara 2s quite a lot, despite being one walking chronic orthopedic issue (I have always trained in low-slung, lightweight trainers...but i am not a barefoot/minimalist person), so even if you DO have "issues", something like this might help.

I have poor proprioception in my bad leg, and less shoe and lower to the ground helps "remind" me what my legs and feet should be doing, if that makes sense.

2011-10-05 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Kinvara 2. Yes. A very nice shoe. I certainly feel speedier when I slide into mine.
2011-10-05 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3712780

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
BigDH - 2011-10-05 3:49 PM Kinvara 2. Yes. A very nice shoe. I certainly feel speedier when I slide into mine.

I think it's partly psychological for me, actually.  Whatever works!
2011-10-05 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3711167

User image

Oviedo, Florida
KathyG - 2011-10-04 3:39 PM

In my first 5K I was passed by a three legged dog three times...I kid you not.

Oh my God.. thank you so much  KathyG, the Claw and everyone else for absolutely making my day...

So I'll chuck a story in there too...

Was running Disney for my first marathon a few years back. Those last 6 miles really were pure hell. But one thing that just kept me going was a guy in full Gladiator attire. Sword, helmet, shield - the works. I kept thinking to myself Dear Lord please let me beat Maximus....

Lo and behold... we're on the last mile and I have that SOB in my sights. I give it everything I've got and beat his a$$ by about 20 seconds! Woo-Hoo! Hurray for me, I beat a Gladiator!  It's when they were handing out the finishers medals and I see him go over to get his Goofy medal.  That dog had also run the 1/2 marathon the day before. *sigh*. 

2011-10-05 4:57 PM

User image

Central Massachsettts
Glad I found this. some of the story's gave me a good chuckle since I can relate.
2011-10-05 6:27 PM

User image

Alright.... not only am I a 42 year old "relatively" slow runner... avg 30~32 min 5 km I will also ask for a pity party for swimming. I recently joined a masters swim club. I'm fairly new to swimming, but am doing my very best. There is a wonderful 70 something year old gentleman who had heart bypass surgery this past spring. As he passes me (often) he always offers an encouraging word when we stop together... keep it up... watch your legs, breath a little more.

Two things I love after having decided to commit to this sport "lifestyle", is how it gives me a goal to simply try and better myself; and how I have had the opportunity to get to know so many incredible people (swim club, here, while running).

Thanks for your stories everyone. They are greatly appreciated, have made me smile repeatedly. I am truly inspired by you all. What a fantastic community.

R
2011-10-05 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3712744

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I am somewhat confused because people are saying "I run X mm" but you aren't saying at what distance. I mean 10 mm for a marathon would be awesome IMO. Not so much if that's your 1 mile TT time though.

I used to be a slow runner. When I first showed up to my tri club's track workout, I was running 12.5 mm and could run about 2 miles at once. In my first 5K, I was ecstatic because I was able to run under 12 mm! Of course, when I looked at the pictures, I saw that not only had I been passed by a bunch of people with kids in strollers -- and not the faster jogging strollers either -- but also a dog (though he had all 4 legs)! But I was still happy.

In my first two tris, the runs were hilly and I averaged 13:49 mm for 4 miles in one and 14 mm for 6.2 miles in the other. I was still happy about that since it was hot and hilly and for the 10k, I'd never actually run that far before.

But I was tired of seeing my results go down from swim to bike and then bike to run. So I traded a swim workout for a run workout and eventually I saw the run becomes my best event! I'm still slow compared to the fast guys and I have an injury that limits my speed (the faster I go, the more it gets aggravated), but I'm a MOP runner vs. a BOP triathlete. So it is possible to get better at running, if that's what you want.

2011-10-05 7:51 PM

I LOVE this thread!  I walked 2 half marathons this year.  I did cut 7 minutes off my time from my first to my second.

Oh, and my run pace is almost the same as my walk pace around 14mm.

2011-10-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3710516

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Lesandtj - 2011-10-04 9:15 AM

Don't look at it like you are a slow runner, but a fast jogger. I pr'd a 5K this weekend at a blistering 29:33. hahaha. My target was to be under 30min, but still, I felt slow. A nice old lady passed me at about 3K. Not exactly a confidence booster. (Evidence below. Undecided)

I'm sorry to LOL at your pain man. Maybe you are laughing WITH me?

But yeah... she's pretty old.... and smoking you!

Edited by KSH 2011-10-05 9:43 PM

2011-10-05 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
While I won't post my times... because someone is always slower or faster... I will talk about being a slow runner... because when I meet someone for a run, I know I won't be fast enough to keep up.

You know you are slow when you have to run alone 100%/95% of the time... simply because you know that if you go meet a group of runners, you will be left behind in the dust.

One year, I was feeling pretty good about my running as my pace had come down. I decided to join a running group, and I went out to meet them one morning. Yep, I was running alone. At the back. VERY FAR BACK. So far back I didn't even see anyone!

Another year, I was feeling pretty good about my pace again... and decided to meet my "slow" friend for a run. Yep, she left me. Pulled away after a mile and I didn't see her again till we got back to the cars. We were running 9 miles "together".

Now, 5% of the time.. recently... I had a "slow" friend I would run with. She has since quit tri's and I don't even have her anymore. I had another tri buddy come run with me. Even with an injury he was pulling away.

Anyways, I run alone now. I know better. I'm slow. Other runners will drop me. I got it. So no matter what my times are... or what I've won... the fact is that I can't run WITH other runners... so that makes me slow in my book.

Of course there is always someone slower and faster.

PS- AND... even though I'm "slow" I've never let it stop me! I have been running for 6 years with tri's... through countless injuries... I have done Dr.'s, coaches, etc. I WON'T LET THE RUN BEAT ME!!!!!

Edited by KSH 2011-10-05 9:52 PM
2011-10-05 11:49 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Holy crap did this thread make me laugh.  There's no doubt about it...I'm a slow runner.  I'm not giving up though.  I'll be smoking some of those guys eventually!  For now, I'll just have to be that 6'3" guy putting out 280 watts on the bike and running 10 mm's.

My friends constantly ask me questions like, "you did the run in WHAT!?...what do you actually do during that period of time!?"

I answer them with "thinking that even though I'm running this slow, I'm still kicking your a$$".

2011-10-06 12:18 AM

User image

Master
Since my youngest was born 5 years ago I've been clocking in at a slower than average pace of 11m/m. Last year I trained for and ran a marathon at pretty much that pace. Took me 5 looooong hrs & 19 loooooong minutes to finish it, but darnit, I finished it, running start to finish. Everyone & their elderly Aunt Margaret passed me. They gave me thumbs up, positive words, threw wet sponges at me, and one even prayed for me, but I was just fine. I didn't care. I worked very hard at my slower then average pace for months, and I was meeting a goal of running my 1st marathon. Slow & steady is how I've been rolling.
2011-10-06 3:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

I try not to pity my slowness too much, but here it goes. Started off August 2010 with running and not being able to make it one block without my chest being on fire. I was ecstatic that my first 5k was around 12 mm in Nov 2010. After a year of running, I'm finally starting to be able to run without fearing a cramp and almost broke the 30 min 5k barrier a few weeks ago. Hopefully my next 5k in 2 weeks, I'll be able to push myself enough to finish sub 30.

Currently training for a marathon with an estimated pace time of 11-11:30 mm. Plan says I should run 90 secs slower than the goal pace for long runs. Little does the plan know, I would basically be walking if this was the case which I don't think will prep me for "running" a marathon.

I'm happy with the strides I've made, but slow is still slow. It's especially sucky when I can't even point the finger at any factor. I'm young, not overweight, and completely injury free. My only excuse is I'm slow (and of course I probably haven't ever put in the miles to really become faster). What's worse is my husband is carrying at least 25 lbs of extra fat on him and runs anywhere from sub 7mm to 8mm depending on the race distance. I'm convinced some people are runners naturally while the rest of us can only try. 

Edited by csikes 2011-10-06 3:19 AM
2011-10-06 5:55 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

While I know a lot of you are convinced that you're destined to be slow runners, I don't believe run speed is a foregone conclusion.  In 2006 I ran a stand alone marathon in 5:10 (which at the time was a PR).  In 2008 my marathon time at IMKY was 6:25 and in 2009 my marathon time at IMAZ was 6:07. 

In 2010 I started training differently.  I slowed my pace, trained solely based on heart rate and gradually increased my frequency and miles. 

In 2011 I ran the marathon at IMLP in 4:15 (and that was with GI issues over the final few miles) and I now consistently do the half marathon portion of a HIM in about 1:50.  Not blazing fast but respectable.

Getting faster came down to consistency.  I ran slower, ran more often and increased my cumulative volume.  When I was injured, I ran in the pool (not fun but really effective).  If you want to get faster, you just need to focus on it.  For 99% of people running slow is psychological and not physiological issue. 

2011-10-06 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY

x whatever on the Kinvara 2s.  I love them and I definitely run faster in them than my other heavier running shoes with a higher heel-toe drop.  That said I am still slow compared to the people running 6, 7 or even 8 min miles.  I am ok with it, though because I still run faster than I did when I didn't run at all Wink

In all seriousness, my goal is to try and run a just a little faster each year and stay healthy and uninjured doing it.  

2011-10-06 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Man, you guys are having so much fun here! (Sorry to crash--I was looking to see if a buddy had posted here.) And then there are all those forums for people who can't swim. Maybe I should start a slow bikers' pity party on another thread, and form a club of people whose heart rate routinely exceeds their power (of which I could be the founding member)! Laughing 
2011-10-06 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

It's great to see a thread like this and know we're not alone.  Yes, I'm a slow runner, and it is my best event of the three! 

A couple years ago, I went to the local running group to give it a try.  In the pre-run meeting, I introduced myself to the group and then the leader asked what pace/distance I'd like to run that day so they could pair me up with someone.  I was pretty happy with saying 10:30 ish pace for 8ish miles would be good.  In fact, that was probably stretching it a bit, but with peer pressure much is possible, right?  The leader looked around the room and told me noone was going that slow that day, but one guy was walking and I could go with him.  It wasn't said in a mean way, and attendance in the group was down that day due to some big race, but still I never went back.

The tri scene is really skewed towards very fit (and mostly younger than me) people.  I like that it encourages me to do better and not settle.  I mean knowing that I will be out there wearing a spandex outfit amongst a very fit mostly 20-30 something crowd can be quite motivating .  But sometimes it is difficult to take when I feel like I'm working so hard just to hang on in the back of the pack.   

I've gotten a little faster and fitter with my first season of tri training, but am still a slogger.  When I get down about my lack of speed, I remind myself that I'm still leaving my couch in the dust!  But I will continue to work to get a little faster....for me....one step at a time.  I'm even thinking about giving the running group another try.

2011-10-06 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3713256

User image

NC
kaburns1214 - 2011-10-06 6:55 AM

While I know a lot of you are convinced that you're destined to be slow runners, . . . .

This is a pity party, not a solution party.  Apparently.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » slow runners pity party Rss Feed  

of 8