BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2011-12-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3945122

User image

Master
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP- OPEN
mighty mom - 2011-12-19 7:07 PMI still want in! Bio in the am. I'm tired from cruising the PNW!
And you didn't call us??????

2011-12-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3945136

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
kkcbelle - 2011-12-19 10:13 PM
mighty mom - 2011-12-19 7:07 PMI still want in! Bio in the am. I'm tired from cruising the PNW!
And you didn't call us??????
I know. I did think about it but the trip was planned last minute by my sister and i actually didnt even know our itinerary until i got to Vancouver. We were all over the place (Vancouver, whistler, Seattle) and only in Seattle 1 day. Beautiful part of the country although the water looks cold!!!!!!
2011-12-19 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

In ...... 

NAME: Dave...aka  Dino... aka Dineen....

STORY: I'm 44 and live in Suzy's large backyard,which is also a suburb of Milwaukee,WI.  This is my fourth+ years of tri. I got into this game after finally hanging up the hockey skates after 35+ years at the urging of my bride.  I think she was sick of me coming home with stitches.  I have been a very active athlete all my life and have been tolerated by this MG for 3 or 4 years, I've lost track and Wikipedia didn't have the answer???

I work full time as an Operations Manager for a Forklift dealership and cover most of the state of WI, part of Northern IL, and the UP of MI.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Shelly for 19 years.  She is another "really short person" (keeps me in good with this MG) and have 2 daughters...one 18 (senior in HS) and one 16 (junior in HS) both going on 22+.  Oh.. as Linda gave fair warning to earlier...You will receive no sympathy from me on any kid issues after living with 2 teenage daughters!

TRAINING:  I'm an Endurance Nation team-member and a firm believer in their training philosophy.  Some have claimed that just to irritate John, I train with power on the bike and pace on the run.  I am also riding for Team Wisconsin for 2012.  

WHAT TO I BRING TO THE GROUP:  Nothing ...... but my competitive nature, my ability to stir the pot, some decent swim splits, and I know a thing or two about the bike. 

2011 Races:  70.3 Racine in 200 degree weather, 3 Olys, 2 Sprints, 3 Criteriums, 6 Cyclocross races, etc. 

2012 Races: It is all about the bike for me in 2012.  Major bike focus for me with my A-race being a 10 day stage race plus some Cyclocross.  I still plan on doing several tris hopefully including another HIM, still working that calendar out for the year.    

INSEAM: 32 inches

Edited by badgerintx 2011-12-19 9:37 PM
2011-12-19 9:59 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Before fatty writes my bio...

NAME:  gdale/George

STORY:  This was my third season of tri's.  Started a few years ago after running for a few years for fitness and feeling like I had plateaued.  A lot of folks at the Y I worked out at were doing tris and I figured I could do that.  Signed up for a sprint in 2009 and did an OLY that same year.  Got a little longer this year with my first HIM and my first marathon.  Been around the MG for a while but not quite as long as some of the elder statesmen.

FAMILY:  Married nearly 14 years to wife Kris.  She got into tris last year so now we have to fit in two training schedules.  Three rugrats - all boys (thank GAWD I don't have girls like Dino!) - Jeremy (12), Tommy (9), Cody (5).  Tommy has done two tris also so this is turning into a family affair!

Kris and I both work full time so that makes fitting in training extra hard.  We have to be creative at times.  I am a project manager and lately have had to do a lot of overseas traveling - haven't gotten good yet at training with jet lag.

HOBBIES:  Whatever my kids are doing.  I am currently coaching a youth wrestling team.  I help to coach baseball and soccer.  I do some charity work.

TRAINING:  Yeah...I need to get on that again.  I do a lot of my training at lunch during the week.

2011 RACES:  A couple of half marathons, the Musselman HIM, the Wineglass Marathon

2012 RACES:  The Tough Mudder in May in the Poconos, Musselman HIM in July (I need redemption - walked most of the run last year), some other half marathons, probably an OLY and I thinking about trying to work in one more HIM.

WHAT I BRING TO THE MG:  I like to let the suspense build up before I post my race reports.  I like to be a wise azz but actually I am pretty tame compared to fatty and Trevor.  I am still building experience, so I take more than I give but they haven't kicked me out yet for that!!

WEIGHT:  I have gotten good at putting the pounds on.  Weight loss will be a primary goal for the season but not checking my weight until after January 1st!

2011-12-19 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Me- Married with two kids 6 and 8. This will be my 6th year involved in endurance sports. My lovely wife is a runner and is training for her third marathon in February. Goals for 2012- Qualify for Boston for the third time and actually get registered this time. Ironman CdA in June.I am thankful for all the support and advise I have gotten from this group and am so glad to be back!!!and beer is the best recovery drink.Chet from Las Vegas.
2011-12-19 10:30 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I do not know about letting Chet back in: he did not buy a computrainer in Henderson for $300 a couple of years ago! Wink

2011-12-19 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Hi my  name is Fattyfatfat:

2011-12-19 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3945216

User image

gdale - 2011-12-19 10:59 PM

Before fatty writes my bio...

NAME:  gdale/George

STORY:  This was my third season of tri's.  Started a few years ago after running for a few years for fitness and feeling like I had plateaued.  A lot of folks at the Y I worked out at were doing tris and I figured I could do that.  Signed up for a sprint in 2009 and did an OLY that same year.  Got a little longer this year with my first HIM and my first marathon.  Been around the MG for a while but not quite as long as some of the elder statesmen.

FAMILY:  Married nearly 14 years to wife Kris.  She got into tris last year so now we have to fit in two training schedules.  Three rugrats - all boys (thank GAWD I don't have girls like Dino!) - Jeremy (12), Tommy (9), Cody (5).  Tommy has done two tris also so this is turning into a family affair!

Kris and I both work full time so that makes fitting in training extra hard.  We have to be creative at times.  I am a project manager and lately have had to do a lot of overseas traveling - haven't gotten good yet at training with jet lag.

HOBBIES:  Whatever my kids are doing.  I am currently coaching a youth wrestling team.  I help to coach baseball and soccer.  I do some charity work.

TRAINING:  Yeah...I need to get on that again.  I do a lot of my training at lunch during the week.

2011 RACES:  A couple of half marathons, the Musselman HIM, the Wineglass Marathon

2012 RACES:  The Tough Mudder in May in the Poconos, Musselman HIM in July (I need redemption - walked most of the run last year), some other half marathons, probably an OLY and I thinking about trying to work in one more HIM.

WHAT I BRING TO THE MG:  I like to let the suspense build up before I post my race reports.  I like to be a wise azz but actually I am pretty tame compared to fatty and Trevor.  I am still building experience, so I take more than I give but they haven't kicked me out yet for that!!

WEIGHT:  I have gotten good at putting the pounds on.  Weight loss will be a primary goal for the season but not checking my weight until after January 1st!

Are you ready for the shock?  Those live wires scare the XXXX out of me!

BTW - I miss Rocky  Wink

2011-12-19 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3945255

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
DougRob - 2011-12-19 8:30 PMI do not know about letting Chet back in: he did not buy a computrainer in Henderson for $300 a couple of years ago! Wink
I still don't even know what it does Doug
2011-12-19 11:58 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Name: Mike

Story: Casual runner and mountain biker until a friend talked me in to doing a half mary three years ago.  Swimming took longer to get the hang of than I expected so I missed that tri season and started last year.

Family Status: Happily married for 23 years (to Cheryl).  She doesn't do endurance sports but supports me (within reason).  20 year old daughter and 15 year old son, plus several dogs and cats.

Current training: Holding a running base of 18-20 miles a week and starting to work the bike trainer and swimming back in,.

2011 Races: I did two Olys and two HIMs (well NOLA was a 69.1 and the other was a home grown tri from my house so really no official 70.3)

2012 Races: Oly in May, Sprint in Boston in June (visiting my sister), HIM in July, considering a full in August but may wait another year

Weight loss: Lost about 25 when I started endurance sports.  Have about 10 to go but I enjoy cooking and drinking beer.

What will make me a good part of the group: I enjoy following other people's journeys and sending encouraging comments.

2011-12-20 3:19 AM

Name: Jon

Background: Been doing triathlons off and on over the last decade, but in the last two years really started to get more dedicated to training.  Not sure if it's an obsession or not, but I don't like going more than a day without a run, ride or swim.

Family Status: Married with two dogs.  Both wife and dogs tilt their heads to the side when they see me get up before sunrise and head out on the bike.

Current training:  Approximately 200 K / week on the bike and 20 running.  I'll only do an occasional swim now that's it's so cold.

Weight loss: Not too much of a concern for me, but I do have the capacity to put on a few pounds if I'm down with an injury and keep eating like I'm still training.

2011 Races: Just one: an olympic in August.

2012 Races:  Planning on an olympic in August and hopefully my first HIM in December.  I'd also like to get a sprint or two in during the spring.

What makes me a good part of this group: I'm quick to offer encouragement, and I might be able to offer some useful suggestions regarding overcoming injuries.

Edited by JCZ 2011-12-20 3:23 AM

2011-12-20 5:09 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Ok, here's my bio:

Name: David

Story: I've always enjoyed sport and can play just about anything, I've just never been good at any of them! My main sport was rugby when I was younger and squash and then I gave them up and became unfit when we started having kids. I got back into surfing a few years ago and then running, followed by becoming a volunteer surf lifesaver which got me into ocean swimming. A couple of years ago someone suggested getting a bike and having a go at triathlons and now I'm hooked!Family status: Married with 3 kids aged 13,10 and 8 plus a labrador called George and siamese cat cat called Barney

Current training: I'm messing around with a running streak at the moment and barefoot running, I need to get back into training for S/B/R this week...

2011 Races: A couple of oly's, some sprints, a half marathon, 10k's, a 5k or two etc, plus ocean swimming races

2012 Races I've signed up for the Mooloolaba tri - an Oly - and I haven't decided what else. I may do a HIM in June but I also want to do a marathon so I need to work out a schedule. Maybe my first IM in 2013 ????

I'm doing the Noosa tri in October for a melanoma charity as part of a team of 50 which should be fun!

Apart from that, I live in Australia so add some novelty value, I like training and enjoy the MG banter!

PS I was part of Chet's MG last year and it's great to see him back in this group, he's a great source of knowledge and VERY fast!

2011-12-20 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3945180

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
badgerintx - 2011-12-19 9:35 PM

In ...... 

NAME: Dave...aka  Dino... aka Dineen....

STORY: I'm 44 and live in Suzy's large backyard,which is also a suburb of Milwaukee,WI.  This is my fourth+ years of tri. I got into this game after finally hanging up the hockey skates after 35+ years at the urging of my bride.  I think she was sick of me coming home with stitches.  I have been a very active athlete all my life and have been tolerated by this MG for 3 or 4 years, I've lost track and Wikipedia didn't have the answer???

I work full time as an Operations Manager for a Forklift dealership and cover most of the state of WI, part of Northern IL, and the UP of MI.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Shelly for 19 years.  She is another "really short person" (keeps me in good with this MG) and have 2 daughters...one 18 (senior in HS) and one 16 (junior in HS) both going on 22+.  Oh.. as Linda gave fair warning to earlier...You will receive no sympathy from me on any kid issues after living with 2 teenage daughters!

TRAINING:  I'm an Endurance Nation team-member and a firm believer in their training philosophy.  Some have claimed that just to irritate John, I train with power on the bike and pace on the run.  I am also riding for Team Wisconsin for 2012.  

WHAT TO I BRING TO THE GROUP:  Nothing ...... but my competitive nature, my ability to stir the pot, some decent swim splits, and I know a thing or two about the bike. 

2011 Races:  70.3 Racine in 200 degree weather, 3 Olys, 2 Sprints, 3 Criteriums, 6 Cyclocross races, etc. 

2012 Races: It is all about the bike for me in 2012.  Major bike focus for me with my A-race being a 10 day stage race plus some Cyclocross.  I still plan on doing several tris hopefully including another HIM, still working that calendar out for the year.    

I totally forgot about the inseam!  26" here! 

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-12-20 6:07 AM
2011-12-20 6:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

Welcome to the MG Mike and Jon!  Glad you guys are here.
And welcome back Chet! 

2011-12-20 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3945363

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2011-12-20 5:23 AM
badgerintx - 2011-12-19 9:35 PM

I totally forgot about the inseam!  26" here! 

Wow!   That is short!

But I've barely got you beat with a 29"

Short People RULE!

edit: padding my post count to 150! woot!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2011-12-20 6:41 AM
2011-12-20 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Name: Christina

Background: My parents had my childhood filled to the brim with activities; swimming, skiing, tennis, cycling, horseback riding, ice skating, ballet, soccer (and competitive in all).  Around 13 I decided to focus on skiing; I attended a ski academy and was DivI ski captain in college.  Post college I moved to the city for grad school and decided to take up running bc it was easy to fit into my schedule and inexpensive.  After graduating from grad school, I met my husband, moved to the burbs, got pregnant and my life of activity was squashed.  While my kids are the light of my life, I became miserable and piled on the pounds.  In 2009, I had reached my limit on misery and for 2010 set myself 2 goals, run a 1/2 marathon and do a sprint tri.  Even before my first tri, I had fallen in love with the challenge of triathlons.  

Family Status: Uncertain is a good word (thanks Rob),  kids; 1 boy (Nicholas, 5.5 yo) and 1 girl (Alexa, 3.5 yo).  No pets currently but I'm seriously thinking of getting a dog.

2011 Races: Timberman (1/2 IM) ended up being my only tri. 

2012 Races:  5k in Jan, a 1/2 mary in Feb, a sprint tri in May, 1/2 IM in June, looking at a 2 mi charity swim in July, and the pièce de résistance... IMMoo.

What I bring to the MG:  Like George, I am still building experience in triathlons, so I take more than I give (and also thankful to still be here).  I do have a vast background in many sports so I do try to speak up when I can offer perspective.

2011-12-20 6:57 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Not sure if you guys read the update notes but you can now import TrainingPeak workouts into BT.  Not sure if they are using 100% of the code I sent them but it looks like it works the same way.  You can define a set of days and it will pull in all your S/B/R workouts. 

I've been using my code for 4-5 months to do this, it's nice I just upload all my workouts into TP and then move them over to BT so I don't have to log them 2x.

2011-12-20 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3945258

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
DougRob - 2011-12-19 11:32 PM

Hi my  name is Fattyfatfat:

Is it wrong in that something about this makes me want to try it? 

2011-12-20 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3945421

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Name: Tony

Background: My wife started doing tri's in 2006/2007 to get in shape and I had ridden mountain bikes in the past so I decided to give it a try.  I joined BT and this mentor group about that time and been here ever since.  I've done a ton of tri's & running races over the last few years, longest distance was 1 HIM, otherwise I stuck mostly with Oly's and sprints.  Done a couple marathons and more Half's.  A few years ago I joined a bike racing team to try to get better on the bike.  Found out I like the team aspect a bit more than the solo of triathlon so I pretty much switched over to bike racing.

Family Status: Married to sdalessio here in the MG, we have 2 kids 7 and 5

2011 Races: Rev 3 Knoxville and 2 other Olympic distance, Disney half & full marathon, 10+ bike road races and 10 cyclocross races.

2012 Races:  Miami Half Marathon, lots of bike races, I upgraded to Cat 4 at the end of last season so racing with the faster guys this year.  I might throw in a tri or two, not sure.

What I bring to the MG:  Levity, bike wrenching thoughts, bike, phone, computer, etc advice as needed : )

Inseam: 30

Edited by dalessit 2011-12-20 7:39 AM
2011-12-20 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

DAMN People - 24 hrs. and 5 pages.  I better post before I am kicked out.

Name: Samantha

Background: I started doing tris after a New Year's Resolution as a way to get back into shape.  That was about 5 years ago.  When I started, I hated running, couldn't particularly swim and was a nervous nelly on the bike.  No clipless pedals for me for a year and no aero for 2 years.  Anyway as we all know when you cross the finish line at your first tri, you are hooked.  I progressed up to completing three HIMs.  And now I love running, pretty happy on the bike and still can't swim.  Lately I've been on a big running kick and a BQ quest.

Family Status: Married to dalessit (17 long years) here in the MG, we have 2 kids (Drew) 7 and (Gabriella) 5, 1 wild dog and 2 cats (one of which loves to pee on Tony's stuff - HA HA HA)

2011 Races: A bunch of sprint tris, Disney Goofy Challenge, Shamrock Marathon, North Face 50k, JFK 50 Miler.

2012 Races:  Miami Marathon and then not sure.  Probably some fun running races, sprint/oly tris and maybe another 50 miler.

What I bring to the MG:  At the moment my best input would be some tips on long distance running.

Edited by sdalessio 2011-12-20 8:15 AM
2011-12-20 8:36 AM

User image

Regular

Uh oh.  I'm actually on the tall side.  Am I still allowed in the group?

I want to say thank you for all the welcomes.  This might be a big intimidating group, but you're pretty friendly too.    I don't really know who is new and who is not, so let me say welcome to anyone as well!

I swam last night, and I actually logged it too.  A little victory.  It was the first timed 1000m swim I've done.  I have done plenty of timed 500m, both on my own and in the coached program I do.  I did the 1000m in 22:57 (I'm still a relatively new swimmer).  Not only was that a PB for 1000m, but it was also less then double my best 500m time.  

2011-12-20 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Are you still accepting mentees? If so, count me in! Bio to follow.
2011-12-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3945737

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

doxie - 2011-12-20 9:27 AM Are you still accepting mentees? If so, count me in! Bio to follow.

Woo-hoo!  A midwesterner....welcome to the crazy train!

2011-12-20 10:22 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Name: Rachel

Background: I have been running since I was a kid with my dad although I have never been anything anyone would consider fast.  Doing an Ironman has always been something I wanted to do so I decided to finally buy a bike in January 2008 and get this journey started. 

Family Status: I have been married almost 14 years to my high school sweetheart.  We have 4 kids Maya (5 years old), Gabriel (4 years old), Isaiah (4 years old) and Clara (almost 2 years old).

2011 Races: A couple of HMs, an HIM, and an IM attempt.

2012 Races:  Virginia Beach HM, Pittsburgh Marathon, Laurel Highlands 50K, and hopefully a 50 miler.

What I bring to the MG:  Lots of questions!!

2011-12-20 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Welcome new comers and welcome back "old goats!"  Let the games  Training begin!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117