BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-08-19 12:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by marysia83 Also, which race, location?
It's essentially a local race for me (no overnight stay necessary): Blues Cruise Ultra

Nice course. It's cool how it goes around the lake.

2022-08-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20
Anne - Gravel Worlds 150

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Worlds!? Outstanding!

2022-08-19 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

It's essentially a local race for me (no overnight stay necessary): Blues Cruise Ultra

It looks like a really pretty course!

2022-08-19 1:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I love the aid stations!
2022-08-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20
Anne - Gravel Worlds 150

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Worlds!? Outstanding!

Wow! Have a phenomenal experience, Anne!
2022-08-19 3:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20
Anne - Gravel Worlds 150

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Worlds?!  How awesome!  Have a blast and good luck!

2022-08-19 3:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It looks like a really pretty course!

It is very pretty at Blue Marsh.  I've run there a handful of times and swam there multiple times.

2022-08-20 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I can speak to weight and arthritis. DOOO EEEEEET, As said before, having a goal is motivating and you have time and movement is ehat will keep your knees healthy (and you, too).
2022-08-20 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20
Anne - Gravel Worlds 150

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Worlds?!  How awesome!  Have a blast and good luck!

Ann, you always amaze me. Get it, Lady!
2022-08-20 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sadly I cannot report on what is/was on offer for lunch at the Blackberry Bramble. The course was beautiful, and the snack stops were excellent, as was the post-ride shortcake with blackberries and ice cream (not cobbler, sorry). I didn't go looking for the beer as weather was unexpectedly cool. (Some days, even in mid-summer, our morning "marine layer" of drizzly fog decides to outstay its welcome till mid-afternoon.) But we had multiple food fails involving lunch. Ride leader error in one case (I met up with some people from our club, whom you'd think would know better as the club is hosting the ride!) and technical difficulties in the other. Apparently it was BBQ and potato salad but we never got any. You can check my training log for the sad details!

If anyone wants to come to Oregon specifically for this ride, I would actually recommend the full century (same price, more dramatic scenery, and you might as well just throw in a final 1000 feet of climbing on Wolf Creek if you've done 2500 feet already), as long as you don't forget to go back to the grange for lunch!

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-08-20 4:42 PM
2022-08-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sadly I cannot report on what is/was on offer for lunch at the Blackberry Bramble. The course was beautiful, and the snack stops were excellent, as was the post-ride shortcake with blackberries and ice cream (not cobbler, sorry). I didn't go looking for the beer as weather was unexpectedly cool. (Some days, even in mid-summer, our morning "marine layer" of drizzly fog decides to outstay its welcome till mid-afternoon.) But we had multiple food fails involving lunch. Ride leader error in one case (I met up with some people from our club, whom you'd think would know better as the club is hosting the ride!) and technical difficulties in the other. Apparently it was BBQ and potato salad but we never got any. You can check my training log for the sad details! If anyone wants to come to Oregon specifically for this ride, I would actually recommend the full century (same price, more dramatic scenery, and you might as well just throw in a final 1000 feet of climbing on Wolf Creek if you've done 2500 feet already), as long as you don't forget to go back to the grange for lunch!
Food fail, how sad!  Glad to hear the scenery and other aspects of the ride were top-notch, it sounds like a very nice event.

2022-08-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sadly I cannot report on what is/was on offer for lunch at the Blackberry Bramble. The course was beautiful, and the snack stops were excellent, as was the post-ride shortcake with blackberries and ice cream (not cobbler, sorry). I didn't go looking for the beer as weather was unexpectedly cool. (Some days, even in mid-summer, our morning "marine layer" of drizzly fog decides to outstay its welcome till mid-afternoon.) But we had multiple food fails involving lunch. Ride leader error in one case (I met up with some people from our club, whom you'd think would know better as the club is hosting the ride!) and technical difficulties in the other. Apparently it was BBQ and potato salad but we never got any. You can check my training log for the sad details! If anyone wants to come to Oregon specifically for this ride, I would actually recommend the full century (same price, more dramatic scenery, and you might as well just throw in a final 1000 feet of climbing on Wolf Creek if you've done 2500 feet already), as long as you don't forget to go back to the grange for lunch!

Glad the course and snack stops lived up to expectations! Sorry about the rest of the food failure. Why do you need power for BBQ grills???

2022-08-22 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That's exactly what I was wondering! I thought they just needed briquettes or some kind of bottled gas. But this is Eugene--maybe it's some kind of low-emissions electrical or "hybrid" grill? It seems like they could have brought in some regular ones and started feeding the hungry!
2022-08-22 3:28 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

That looks like a great course! YES DO IT!

I'm also turning 50 next year (sshhh). I don't really have a plan yet - but that looks great!
2022-08-26 10:22 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

That looks like a great course! YES DO IT!

I'm also turning 50 next year (sshhh). I don't really have a plan yet - but that looks great!

My friend (who is 50+ now) said his best perfomance was after he turned 50. He is climber, not swimmer/biker/runner... but still

I was just having this discussion with my brother on how we used to think about those age milestones, and how we were terrified by getting 30/40/50... and that was because the perceptions of those in their 30/40/50 around us. We grew up in the communism and post-communism - I am not sure if that was the same here, in the US in the 80s and 90s. But when we were young our 40+ aunts and uncles looked miserable... The same hairstyle and outfit, and all sitting straight at the table, and only using "appropriate" language. Uncles with big bellies were allowed to get drunk as hell and just joke around. 50s - forget about it! 50 equaled old people, grandpas and grandmas... Again, specific hairstyles and outfits, and a specific way they talked.
Forget to even remotely suggest to anyone in 30/40/50 any type of exercise... In a best case scenario you would be laughed at. But don't you dare to even think of sports in 30/40/50. Generally, once you finish college (around age of 25) you should got married and have a home, and focus on the family, and cooking, and cleaning. No room for hobbies and sports.
We only had that one legendary uncle who was in 50s and there was this myth going around hat he could do handstand and jump over an arm chair, and that was because he drunk a lot of milk. Not sure if that was true or if parents just wanted us to drink the milk. But that's the only athletic mention for the "old folks" I remember from the 80s and 90s.

After my brother and I (and many of our friends) turned 30, we did not see much difference from the 20s (ok, we were more mature and more financially responsible). We partied, traveled, had hobbies, sports, were going out, etc... I have tons of friends in their 40s who are the opposite of the 40 year old aunts I was used to seeing as a kid. No fancy hairstyle and that "40 year old make up" (that's what my cousins and I called it back then).

Sorry for a long post. I guess my point is that I'm happy that things change and now I am actually looking forward to my 40s and 50s (will be 40 next year). Especially seeing so many fo my 40/50 yo friends doing all sorts of phenomenal things. Also.... when my kids are out to college I will be 50 - and I am so looking forward to it, because it means 100% freedom for (and if I am mistaken, please don't tell me, please don't ruin for me )
2022-08-26 12:30 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83

That looks like a great course! YES DO IT!I'm also turning 50 next year (sshhh). I don't really have a plan yet - but that looks great!
My friend (who is 50+ now) said his best perfomance was after he turned 50. He is climber, not swimmer/biker/runner... but still I was just having this discussion with my brother on how we used to think about those age milestones, and how we were terrified by getting 30/40/50... and that was because the perceptions of those in their 30/40/50 around us. We grew up in the communism and post-communism - I am not sure if that was the same here, in the US in the 80s and 90s. But when we were young our 40+ aunts and uncles looked miserable... The same hairstyle and outfit, and all sitting straight at the table, and only using "appropriate" language. Uncles with big bellies were allowed to get drunk as hell and just joke around. 50s - forget about it! 50 equaled old people, grandpas and grandmas... Again, specific hairstyles and outfits, and a specific way they talked. Forget to even remotely suggest to anyone in 30/40/50 any type of exercise... In a best case scenario you would be laughed at. But don't you dare to even think of sports in 30/40/50. Generally, once you finish college (around age of 25) you should got married and have a home, and focus on the family, and cooking, and cleaning. No room for hobbies and sports.We only had that one legendary uncle who was in 50s and there was this myth going around hat he could do handstand and jump over an arm chair, and that was because he drunk a lot of milk. Not sure if that was true or if parents just wanted us to drink the milk. But that's the only athletic mention for the "old folks" I remember from the 80s and 90s.After my brother and I (and many of our friends) turned 30, we did not see much difference from the 20s (ok, we were more mature and more financially responsible). We partied, traveled, had hobbies, sports, were going out, etc... I have tons of friends in their 40s who are the opposite of the 40 year old aunts I was used to seeing as a kid. No fancy hairstyle and that "40 year old make up" (that's what my cousins and I called it back then). Sorry for a long post. I guess my point is that I'm happy that things change and now I am actually looking forward to my 40s and 50s (will be 40 next year). Especially seeing so many fo my 40/50 yo friends doing all sorts of phenomenal things. Also.... when my kids are out to college I will be 50 - and I am so looking forward to it, because it means 100% freedom for (and if I am mistaken, please don't tell me, please don't ruin for me )
Maybe not 100% freedom. But close I am 62 and like tondo things that no one did when my parents were this age. Hike, bike, swim, kayak, sorta run. The knly thing holding me back is chronic illness. And that would be worse if i didnt play. I love that we now have role models in their 70s plus that are doing amazing things.

2022-08-26 1:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

That looks like a great course! YES DO IT!I'm also turning 50 next year (sshhh). I don't really have a plan yet - but that looks great!
My friend (who is 50+ now) said his best perfomance was after he turned 50. He is climber, not swimmer/biker/runner... but still I was just having this discussion with my brother on how we used to think about those age milestones, and how we were terrified by getting 30/40/50... and that was because the perceptions of those in their 30/40/50 around us. We grew up in the communism and post-communism - I am not sure if that was the same here, in the US in the 80s and 90s. But when we were young our 40+ aunts and uncles looked miserable... The same hairstyle and outfit, and all sitting straight at the table, and only using "appropriate" language. Uncles with big bellies were allowed to get drunk as hell and just joke around. 50s - forget about it! 50 equaled old people, grandpas and grandmas... Again, specific hairstyles and outfits, and a specific way they talked. Forget to even remotely suggest to anyone in 30/40/50 any type of exercise... In a best case scenario you would be laughed at. But don't you dare to even think of sports in 30/40/50. Generally, once you finish college (around age of 25) you should got married and have a home, and focus on the family, and cooking, and cleaning. No room for hobbies and sports.We only had that one legendary uncle who was in 50s and there was this myth going around hat he could do handstand and jump over an arm chair, and that was because he drunk a lot of milk. Not sure if that was true or if parents just wanted us to drink the milk. But that's the only athletic mention for the "old folks" I remember from the 80s and 90s.After my brother and I (and many of our friends) turned 30, we did not see much difference from the 20s (ok, we were more mature and more financially responsible). We partied, traveled, had hobbies, sports, were going out, etc... I have tons of friends in their 40s who are the opposite of the 40 year old aunts I was used to seeing as a kid. No fancy hairstyle and that "40 year old make up" (that's what my cousins and I called it back then). Sorry for a long post. I guess my point is that I'm happy that things change and now I am actually looking forward to my 40s and 50s (will be 40 next year). Especially seeing so many fo my 40/50 yo friends doing all sorts of phenomenal things. Also.... when my kids are out to college I will be 50 - and I am so looking forward to it, because it means 100% freedom for (and if I am mistaken, please don't tell me, please don't ruin for me )
Maybe not 100% freedom. But close I am 62 and like tondo things that no one did when my parents were this age. Hike, bike, swim, kayak, sorta run. The knly thing holding me back is chronic illness. And that would be worse if i didnt play. I love that we now have role models in their 70s plus that are doing amazing things.

Interesting topic. Random thoughts:

I think there are probably a lot of factors that go into the reason we see more people in their 30/40/50/60... involved in sports now than when my parents were growing up. Overall, sports in general are more popular. Why? Perhaps more access through things like Title IX , wall to wall  tv coverage, money, etc.  When I was growing up both my parents ran. They were inspired by Jim Fixx's Book of Running that came out in mid-late 70's (yes, I'm old). 1978 was, I believe, when Nike made the first women's specific running shoe.  As a family we were always doing sporty things, so perhaps that's why through my teens, 20s, 30s, that i never found it odd that people older than I were physically active in various ways. 

Also, medical technology has advanced so much that people  can get new hips and knees to keep them active their whole life  I'm sure I'll be knee shopping at some point!

2022-08-26 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think there are probably a lot of factors that go into the reason we see more people in their 30/40/50/60... involved in sports now than when my parents were growing up. Overall, sports in general are more popular. Why? Perhaps more access through things like Title IX , wall to wall  tv coverage, money, etc.  When I was growing up both my parents ran. They were inspired by Jim Fixx's Book of Running that came out in mid-late 70's (yes, I'm old). 1978 was, I believe, when Nike made the first women's specific running shoe.  As a family we were always doing sporty things, so perhaps that's why through my teens, 20s, 30s, that i never found it odd that people older than I were physically active in various ways. 

Also, medical technology has advanced so much that people  can get new hips and knees to keep them active their whole life  I'm sure I'll be knee shopping at some point!

I was jut going to say that our group is the first to see the affects of Title IX.

2022-08-26 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28
Janyne - August 27 - Falling Creek Pinnacle Punisher gravel ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2022-08-26 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

It's a brave Manatee who willing signs up for a ride called Punisher! I'm sure you will be the hammer and not the nail!

2022-08-26 4:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a fantastic time!

2022-08-26 4:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I was jut going to say that our group is the first to see the affects of Title IX.

Those are great and interesting points, thanks for sharing and discussing
2022-08-29 10:16 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Every time I'm out there doing something "unbelievable" (as my mom says) I think back 25 years when I was 25 and my mom was 50. There's no way in HELL she would do something like hike mount washington or run 26.2 miles....and these are things I started doing in my late 30s so it's not like I've done them all my life. I was most certainly a couch potato through college - because that's what I grew up around.

My cousin and I often talk about this topic but it's more on the "breaking the cycle." Both our parents have weight issues etc and we're conscious of breaking the cycle. They cannot or won't see it even when we point it out that they are in the middle of it. And that's why history repeats itself..............
2022-08-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Every time I'm out there doing something "unbelievable" (as my mom says) I think back 25 years when I was 25 and my mom was 50. There's no way in HELL she would do something like hike mount washington or run 26.2 miles....and these are things I started doing in my late 30s so it's not like I've done them all my life. I was most certainly a couch potato through college - because that's what I grew up around.

My cousin and I often talk about this topic but it's more on the "breaking the cycle." Both our parents have weight issues etc and we're conscious of breaking the cycle. They cannot or won't see it even when we point it out that they are in the middle of it. And that's why history repeats itself..............

Excellent discussion.

Spent the last two weeks taking daughter to college for the first time, then to Baltimore for a work conference. I ate a lot of crab cakes and lobster rolls, and sweated like crazy in the heat and humidity. Today I signed up for the St. Jude virtual 5k in December.
2022-09-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Happy Friday and Labor Day weekend for those who gget Monday off. Anybody racing or doing anything else fun?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29107 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93