BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Originally posted by rrrunner I can't reply on the work computer either, but I don't see a difference on the mobile sight. JJ, you'll rock Austin and then you'll be revved up to keep training for your IM. As for me, I woke in the night last night unable to breath. Anything more than a very shallow breath caused severe pain from my shoulder to the middle of my ribs. Finally calmed it to a dull ache and fell back in to a fitful sleep. Woke this morning with my whole back in knots. This is not good 5 days before my HM!

Eeeeek! That's no bueno!  But on a positive note, it must require a massage, right?

2013-10-15 11:09 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by rrrunner I can't reply on the work computer either, but I don't see a difference on the mobile sight. JJ, you'll rock Austin and then you'll be revved up to keep training for your IM. As for me, I woke in the night last night unable to breath. Anything more than a very shallow breath caused severe pain from my shoulder to the middle of my ribs. Finally calmed it to a dull ache and fell back in to a fitful sleep. Woke this morning with my whole back in knots. This is not good 5 days before my HM!

Eeeeek! That's no bueno!  But on a positive note, it must require a massage, right?

NOOOOOOO!! Healing vibes being sent!

2013-10-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by Artemis

Updates on me:

-Met with my ortho doc this morning.  He thinks it's healed.  I'm cleared to bike on the trainer and swim without a pull buoy.  If that goes well for a couple weeks, I can try the elliptical and walking on the treadmill.  If *that* goes well, I can try run/walk on the treadmill.

-My job interview is Thursday!  I leave tomorrow afternoon.  Really really nervous!

Hoping it all goes well and you are 100%!

Good vibes for the interview!!

Thanks, Judi!  I'm probably not going to have a chance to try the bike until I get back, but I am happy that I was able to convince him I could use the trainer.  He was worried I wouldn't have enough float and that would put too much stress on the bone.

2013-10-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master

Updates on me:

-Met with my ortho doc this morning.  He thinks it's healed.  I'm cleared to bike on the trainer and swim without a pull buoy.  If that goes well for a couple weeks, I can try the elliptical and walking on the treadmill.  If *that* goes well, I can try run/walk on the treadmill.

-My job interview is Thursday!  I leave tomorrow afternoon.  Really really nervous!

Well that's just fantastic  

And you'll have a great interview, too.

2013-10-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4877353

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
My first thought was my myotherapist. But unfortunately I can't take time off work to go. "Essential" means no time off. Guess I'll stole for the chair massager.

As for torquing it yesterday, all I did was a two mile run and cook the rest of the day.
2013-10-15 11:16 AM

User image

Master

Updates on me:

Well that's just fantastic  

And you'll have a great interview, too.

x2!  Best of luck on the interview, you will 'WOW' them!

2013-10-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed

The question is, if you take down JT's, does he come lookin for a fight?  Cuz I might have to work on my bike more if that's the case.  grrr.

i'll ride the segment in my car with my garmin set to bike mode - that should get him down here!  Actually, i'm hoping he's going to be at my HIM again this year.

So long as you are wearing aviators 

Guess I need to go shopping.

As much as I  like these on JT and Salty, it is, quite possibly, one of the worst looks every on me.  There might be an age limit to pulling them off, but maybe it's just a face-shape thing.

JT can wear whateverthehell he wants.  Or wear nothing.  I won't judge

^^^Yep and yep...I must agree on all counts!

2013-10-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4877441

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Last night I started reading "The Four Pillars of Triathlon" and wanted to talk to you all about it but typing on my phone is a pain in the booty. For now I'll say that it's about the mental aspect of triathlon and, so far, I'm finding it quite interesting.
2013-10-15 11:27 AM

User image

Master

I've done two short rides the last couple of days. Felt pretty good during/after. Debating doing my first yoga class in three weeks.

My anniversary sprint is Nov 2. Gives me 2 1/2 weeks...Do I contemplate it or forget it?

2013-10-15 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Updates on me:

All good news! You will kill the interview.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!  Good, good luck

Fantastic news for the fx!  And you are going to be AWESOME in that interview!!!

Yay for Canadian Thanksgiving... and the fact that I now get two turkey dinners each year.   

That is pretty cool.  I admit, I'm jealous.

I had to get my suit pants hemmed (yes, I bought a suit!).  Everyone was in love with my Fluevogs.  If I get a job, I think I need a celebratory pair once I get my first check.  

Whaddyou mean you "think" you need a celebratory pair?  OF COURSE YOU NEED A PAIR! 

The main causes to need shoes:

1) they're shoes

2) see #1 

2013-10-15 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

The question is, if you take down JT's, does he come lookin for a fight?  Cuz I might have to work on my bike more if that's the case.  grrr.

i'll ride the segment in my car with my garmin set to bike mode - that should get him down here!  Actually, i'm hoping he's going to be at my HIM again this year.

As much as I  like these on JT and Salty, it is, quite possibly, one of the worst looks every on me.  There might be an age limit to pulling them off, but maybe it's just a face-shape thing.

I, too, must agree.  Especially with the last sentence. 

2013-10-15 11:52 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

I, too, must agree.  Especially with the last sentence. 

Too true.

2013-10-15 11:53 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ- Checking In.... Feeling much better today than last week. My cold seems to have run it's course and I'm back 100%. Race day next Sunday!!! Now this is crazy, I'm racing my 70.3 Sunday and I'm very nervous but not about Sunday's race. I'm nervous all of a sudden for my full Ironman next May. Why all of a sudden nervous for a race that's still along way away? Who knows. Either way Austin 70.3 is around the corner and I'm so ready to race!! I'm really struggling with my bike pacing for this race. I've had some very good rides the last month or so and I just can't seem to want to hold back to where I know i need to in order to have a good run. Science says I need to hold back to a heart rate of 140-145 but I just can't see myself doing that. I want to hammer the bike!

Where is Ben???

I know the "want to hammer the bike" feeling, but I can tell you now that I paid for it on that run.  Try, try to resist and think of the big picture.  If you're feeling really fresh at mile 8 of the run, you can make sure you go hard and get it all outta your system   (Now I'm gonna go print this off and put it on my mirror so that I can tell myself that).

I'm pretty sure when I sign up for my first IM (if I ever do one), I will be a little nervous every day--from sign up to race day.  The known unknowns and the unknown unknowns!

Switch to Aquabike and you don't have to worry about the run.

In a short race I'll hammer out of the gate. But when it gets longer, try to work into it more. It's not necessary to hit your target effort level the entire time or from the get-go. I might try to spin a little higher at first, to wake things up. Work out any creaks showing up from the swim. I don't always go into aero right away either. Partly due to crowds the first few minutes and partly to help back off the effort some as it's easier to do that when up. I tend to know the course fairly well and will use the terrain features to work up into the effort over a few miles. For you, say somewhere in the first 15-30 minutes do these kinds of things to help calm your nerves, get used to being on the bike, assess your situation, and be ready to ride from there. From what I can see of the training, keep the effort at a level where you could have a decent conversation with those around you. I certainly know the feeling of wanting to punch it, but don't think you can afford to have those in there. As much as this says it's a race, try to have a nice day out there.

I find the looking ahead in the last week or two happens all the time. It's like the mind needs something else to focus on for a bit. I'll just kind of save ideas that come in, but don't really act on them. In the last couple days my focus will come back to the race at hand. Especially when I get on site and do some course scouting.

2013-10-15 11:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Updates on me:

Fantastic news for the fx!  And you are going to be AWESOME in that interview!!!

Yay for Canadian Thanksgiving... and the fact that I now get two turkey dinners each year.   

I had to get my suit pants hemmed (yes, I bought a suit!).  Everyone was in love with my Fluevogs.  If I get a job, I think I need a celebratory pair once I get my first check.  

Whaddyou mean you "think" you need a celebratory pair?  OF COURSE YOU NEED A PAIR! 

1) they're shoes

2) see #1 

Has that thought carried over to running shoes yet?

2013-10-15 12:01 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Updates on me:

1) they're shoes

1.5) they're faching awesome shoes

2) see #1 & #1.5

Fixed.  

2013-10-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by brigby1

Updates on me:

1) they're shoes

2) see #1 

It always applies to running shoes.  Whether or not I get a job.

2013-10-15 12:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Updates on me:

1) they're shoes

2) see #1 

I'm working on it!  (ordering a pair today, but don't tell the DH...

2013-10-15 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Updates on me:

1) they're shoes

1.5) they're faching awesome shoes

2) see #1 & #1.5

Fixed.  

I absolutely agree with your fix. You are so much wiser than I am!

2013-10-15 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I've done two short rides the last couple of days. Felt pretty good during/after. Debating doing my first yoga class in three weeks.

My anniversary sprint is Nov 2. Gives me 2 1/2 weeks...Do I contemplate it or forget it?

Contemplate the yoga or the sprint?

Lol, my answer is yes either way

2013-10-15 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ- Checking In.... Feeling much better today than last week. My cold seems to have run it's course and I'm back 100%. Race day next Sunday!!! Now this is crazy, I'm racing my 70.3 Sunday and I'm very nervous but not about Sunday's race. I'm nervous all of a sudden for my full Ironman next May. Why all of a sudden nervous for a race that's still along way away? Who knows. Either way Austin 70.3 is around the corner and I'm so ready to race!! I'm really struggling with my bike pacing for this race. I've had some very good rides the last month or so and I just can't seem to want to hold back to where I know i need to in order to have a good run. Science says I need to hold back to a heart rate of 140-145 but I just can't see myself doing that. I want to hammer the bike!

Yay for no cold! I know the feeling

Nerves for May...is Austin your last big race before IM? That might be helping the fuel the feeling.

I don't know what your zones are, but I'd say stick to your plan on the bike and then put your "extra" energy into finishing strong on the run. (my little sprint-azz $.02)

I'm doing Galveston 70.3 in April so 2 more 70.3 before the Big One
2013-10-15 2:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey manatees! Popping in quickly - I've been quite busy at work and haven't had as much time to loiter around on here (boo! oh wait, work pays for house, bills, toys...I retract the boo).  Plus I still owe a RR...

Jen - you will do just great during your interview, you are a smart cookie! A smart cookie with Fluvogs! Did I spell that right?  Sorry if I didn't.

Erin - glad to hear you are doing better

TJ - sorry to hear you have weird back/shoulder pain.  Take care of it and yourself.

Jon - glad to hear you are recovering, too, although now dealing with very early race panic!  Take a deep breath and put that race back into the back of your mind.

Canadian manatees - happy belated Thanksgiving, eh!

Other DL manatees - HEAL!!!  Let's get this pod back to full strength!

2013-10-15 2:50 PM

User image

Master

Well, the yoga was a go....go and feel like a newborn. lol  Sheesh! Two weeks on the couch and my muscles were screaming at me.

I feel like I can work back to doing the sprint, but I keep hearing Monica telling me not to do anything stupid

2013-10-15 2:57 PM

User image

Master

Well, the yoga was a go....go and feel like a newborn. lol  Sheesh! Two weeks on the couch and my muscles were screaming at me.

I feel like I can work back to doing the sprint, but I keep hearing Monica telling me not to do anything stupid 

Monica drank a bottle of wine or 3 the night before AG Nationals.  She may not be the best source of 'anything stupid'.  Just sayin'

2013-10-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master

Originally posted by JJ-

Yay for no cold! I know the feeling

Nerves for May...is Austin your last big race before IM? That might be helping the fuel the feeling.

I don't know what your zones are, but I'd say stick to your plan on the bike and then put your "extra" energy into finishing strong on the run. (my little sprint-azz $.02)

I'm doing Galveston 70.3 in April so 2 more 70.3 before the Big One

hehehe...So you've got 140.6 before 140.6? You'll be so ready! Trained to perfection

2013-10-15 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good afternoon! Thanks for your kind thoughts and well wishes. I am feeling almost 100% today, and it's a good thing, too, because it's been hellaciously busy today.

I am going to try an easy run this evening. My blood pressure seems to have settled back down. Not as low as I would like it to be, but at least within the standards of normal. I don't have a headache this afternoon, for the first time in a week!

I've been keeping up sporadically. TJ -- I'm so sorry for your back spasm/knot. Those shoes -- the Fluevog -- I had to google them. Way out of my price range, but super awesome -- any of them.

We have one more xc meet this week. My son ran a 7:28 at the last meet, 3rd man for his team. He is phoning it in so much, and it drives me crazy. I ended up working at the meet, so I saw every runner run by at about half a mile from the finish. Almost everyone is panting and huffing and puffing and sweating (looking like the guy without a shirt), and then my son runs by looking like Zeddie (minus the facial hair). Drives me batty. He could blow by everyone if he would just break a sweat.

http://www.rungitom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/hurr.jpg

Got another meeting. Bye.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440