BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-07 5:23 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D

re: Best Bike Split, you can still use it for most things without a paid membership.  There doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of courses you can have but you can only have one bike and one race.  However, you can go manipulate the bike data all you like and you can also switch the course that is tied to the race.  It's a bit more work but still quite useful.

I have been playing with BBS for IMMT. How realistic do you think it is?

I plugged my numbers in and I'm skeptical...

The Mont Tremblant course is the only one that seems to be off for me.  For both the full and half IM, it estimated my time to be several minutes faster than I actually was.  Something like 2:34 predicted vs 2:37 actual.  For the full it was something like 5-6 minutes.  For Miami and a couple of others I have done, it was scary close.

same here, a minute off for NOLA.   May work better with flat courses.

2014-08-07 6:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

BBS was within a couple of minutes for me at Honu last year.  Granted it's hard to accurately predict as it is given the variable wind conditions.  I plugged in the Mauna Loa course and it's predicting around 5:50 for 170 watts.  Again, highly dependent on wind and possible rainy conditions.

Edited by Jason N 2014-08-07 6:35 PM
2014-08-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Yeah, it's really depending on you giving it as accurate of information as possible.  Just changing the wind direction can have a major effect.  For the HIM I am doing in Sept, there is a 12 minute variation in estimated time depending on what direction I give it.

2014-08-08 12:40 PM

Master
, California

Looks like Iselle hit the big island.  I hope things aren't too bad where you are Jason.

2014-08-08 4:48 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by spudone

Looks like Iselle hit the big island.  I hope things aren't too bad where you are Jason.

Ugh - just saw that. Good thing it got downgraded, but 60mph winds are still no joke - that is usually what we wind up with with from the remnants of our gulf hurricanes. Hope it doesn't mess up your travel too much, Jason and the route up the mountain is clear.

Good luck Arend and Ryan - hopefully your weather turns out OK - Ryan I know even when the weather looks great in that part of Michigan the swim can still get wonky due to the short wave period on the lake causing significant rips. Hopefully Lake Michigan lays down for Steelhead for once.

Got in to Milwaukee later than planned last night (but caught up with Chris and he got in even later). Just got back from racking my bike and I have to say I have never seen so much bank in a transition area in my life....

2014-08-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

re: Best Bike Split, you can still use it for most things without a paid membership.  There doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of courses you can have but you can only have one bike and one race.  However, you can go manipulate the bike data all you like and you can also switch the course that is tied to the race.  It's a bit more work but still quite useful.

I have been playing with BBS for IMMT. How realistic do you think it is?

I plugged my numbers in and I'm skeptical...

The Mont Tremblant course is the only one that seems to be off for me.  For both the full and half IM, it estimated my time to be several minutes faster than I actually was.  Something like 2:34 predicted vs 2:37 actual.  For the full it was something like 5-6 minutes.  For Miami and a couple of others I have done, it was scary close.

same here, a minute off for NOLA.   May work better with flat courses.

Could have something to with reduced skill dependency following the math more easily.

2014-08-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I tried out a new pair of running shoes today and they did NOT work for me.  Within a few minutes, I felt a hot spot on the ball of my right foot, but figured it wouldn't be a big deal.  By the time I was 1.5 miles away from my car, I realized the hot spot was going to turn into a blister....but I still had 1.5 miles left to go.

So now I have a very tender, not-quite blister (but probably will be...) on the ball of my right foot.  Any methods of getting rid of blisters ASAP?  I have a long run planned for tomorrow that I'm worried about.  My run build for 70.3 WC has been really quite good so far....I'm bummed about this!

2014-08-09 6:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm giving the swim in my race tomorrow about a 1% chance of happening.

2014-08-09 6:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Looks like Chris did quite well at AG nationals today. A team Zoot guy was second overall from what I saw. I had a good ride which ended with a vicious wasp attack and several stings, oh well. Anyone else training?

Great result for Chris!

Sucks about the stings Fred, you've certainly had bad luck there this year.  I've been lucky so far this year, I usually get one or two.

BTW, if anyone is reading this and can't post because you are getting a message about your IP being restricted, you should email (not PM - that won't go either) Ron (ron at beginnertriathlete . com) about it.  They are having major spam problems and I seem to have been caught up in it and couldn't post since yesterday morning.  

2014-08-09 8:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D Looks like Chris did quite well at AG nationals today. A team Zoot guy was second overall from what I saw. I had a good ride which ended with a vicious wasp attack and several stings, oh well. Anyone else training?

Great result for Chris!

Sucks about the stings Fred, you've certainly had bad luck there this year.  I've been lucky so far this year, I usually get one or two.

BTW, if anyone is reading this and can't post because you are getting a message about your IP being restricted, you should email (not PM - that won't go either) Ron (ron at beginnertriathlete . com) about it.  They are having major spam problems and I seem to have been caught up in it and couldn't post since yesterday morning.  

123 mile ride with just under 10,000 ft of climbing.

2014-08-09 10:24 PM

Elite
Ontario

I'm giving the swim in my race tomorrow about a 1% chance of happening.

Good thing you got so fast on the bike and run now!!

2014-08-09 10:25 PM

Elite
Ontario

Great job Chris!!

I personally wouldn't say oh well to several stings Fred, but glad the ride went well.  I guess this is the last "bigger" one before next week?

2014-08-09 10:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by brigby1

123 mile ride with just under 10,000 ft of climbing.

I was happy with 100km ride today, though the climbing was less than expected at 2000ft.  123 miles...one day, but I'm not there at the moment - nice job.

2014-08-09 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Fred DLooks like Chris did quite well at AG nationals today. A team Zoot guy was second overall from what I saw. I had a good ride which ended with a vicious wasp attack and several stings, oh well. Anyone else training?
Thanks Fred and all, yeah, couldn't be happier about today. Dream goal was 2:15 (which is way out of reach (but came close). Had to exceed the power goals a couple times to avoid a drafting issue, so was worries I'd tanked the run before we even started, but ended up with a bike and run pr, run was pr for 10k in or out of a race. Really just a fantastic race. 10 minute oly PR

followed up by rich ratay (scoobysdad) brining down some local brews and hanging out watching the super sprint, then dinner and great company with rusty and his wife Jennifer. All around great day. Now to bed for a 4:15 am wake up call ugh

2014-08-10 7:41 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Good luck today Arend and Ryan - I hope you both get your swims off! Any word from Jason on the ride?

We had a great time as well in Milwaukee - if it weren't for the fact that 98 percent of this group seems to be Canadian I would recommend Milwaukee next year as a possible SBR meetup race. Really an excellent town/venue/course all around. The pro-am super sprint race afterward was really fun to watch - nuts to get an up close look at what it looks like to REALLY turn yourself inside-out for 35 minutes. It was also cool to finally meet Randy (slowrnow) and Renee (cat woman) who are both racing the sprint this morning, And of course getting to hang out with Chris was just the icing on the cake - he is really good people!!

2014-08-09

We are also winging it home this morning on an early morning flight - we have had an AWESOME two week vacation, but very much looking forward to getting home, and oddly, back to work.

Sorry about the bees Fred. You can't seem to catch a break. It is a bit of an issue around our parts during the summer, but thus far I have not yet gotten stung this season. I have got a couple in my helmet, but after having the "come on Mr. Bee, can't we all just get along?" conversation with them they have gone on their merry way. I am fortunate to not have much of a reaction to them other than the initial "OW! SONOFABITCH!" But I do have a couple of buddies that ride with epi pens in their jersey pockets at all times.

2014-08-10 9:26 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

2014-08-10 11:28 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sounds like you guys had a great time at AG Nats!  Congrats

Hoping Arend and Ryan have great races (with swims, even!) today....and that everything turned out fine with Jason, the hurricane, and the race.

2014-08-10 12:14 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

No swim for me, the surf was too wild.  

Did a 10k/40k/5k Du instead.  The wind on the bike was intense -  direct crosswinds 100% of the time of 30 km/hr gusting to 45 supposedly but it felt like more since we were right on the ocean totally exposed.  Everyone thought I was nuts for using my wheel cover.  There was one bridge that we crossed that was pretty sketchy but other than that I think it was the right choice.  I just spent 50% of the time leaning left and the other 50% leaning right.  

Finished 8th of 25 in 2:14:12 and had the 3rd fastest bike split and two runs that I'm very happy with.

2014-08-10 4:52 PM

No swim for me, the surf was too wild.  

Did a 10k/40k/5k Du instead.  The wind on the bike was intense -  direct crosswinds 100% of the time of 30 km/hr gusting to 45 supposedly but it felt like more since we were right on the ocean totally exposed.  Everyone thought I was nuts for using my wheel cover.  There was one bridge that we crossed that was pretty sketchy but other than that I think it was the right choice.  I just spent 50% of the time leaning left and the other 50% leaning right.  

Finished 8th of 25 in 2:14:12 and had the 3rd fastest bike split and two runs that I'm very happy with.

Sorry about the swim, saw Tab's fb post and it didn't look good...   Sounds like you managed a good training day out of it though.

2014-08-10 4:54 PM

Great pic Guys!

LOL, if you guys knew the "rest of the story" about that pic.   That beer is not even mine, and the salad is not Rusty's!   The bacon wrapped meatloaf on a bed of mashed potatoes, on the other hand, is mine

Had a great time with Jen and Rusty, felt like I'd know them for years, and Jen is sweetheart.  Rusty really married up! 

2014-08-11 8:48 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Well, could have been a really special day out there for me yesterday, but the heat completely broke me on the run.

Had the swim of my life - 33:45 and 17thAG/228 - fastest in AG was 29:45.  The wind and current was into us so slow across the board.  I have never felt so comfortable and fast on a swim.

Biked a 2:22:59 (bravo BBS) at 216NP.  This is actually less power than at GR where I was 218NP.  The blocking on the course was brutal and I was in a later wave so screaming on your left the whole ride.  Rode by myself the entire way.  Really solid split for me.

Came off the bike feeling great.  Their is a big hill at end of first mile which I managed ok, but once I turned to a tailwind it felt like I stepped into a sauna and it was all downhill from there.  Absolute sufferfest from about mile 3. 

If I could have ran my planned pace I am looking at a top 10AG and possibly top 5AG.  5th was 4:32 and change.

Lots of positives from this race though - the swim and bike made incredible improvements this year - but the heat killed me.  We have had such a mild summer and to step into that and try to run well was not going to happen for me.

A bit bummed about it but excited for future opportunities too and hopefully putting it all together.

2014-08-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: rymac

Champion
Nice work Chris! Saw your fancy new medal setup on FB. I have mine in a square glass vase pointing outwards...I'm getting to a point where I need two now...lol. Looks fairly cool...most of my decorative touches in my house currently have something to do with running, biking or triathlon. Haha.

Boo to bees Fred. They were a big issue when I was in Castlegar/Nelson. Hasn't been too bad anywhere else I've been. Mosquitoes on the other hand...

Sorry about the swim Arend! Looks like you still did awesome work out there!

Long run yesterday. Ended up being way hotter (like 8 degrees hotter) than the weather was predicted. :/ Between fitness and not enough lytes I was having some mad cramps by the end of my 12 miler. Only 14 more miles to add to that now...Bit stiff today but going to yoga to stretch myself out with a friend at lunchtime. Starting my elective in ER in Edmonton tomorrow am. 2 weeks till I'll be back in PG.

My mom has informed me that we are going to New Zealand in 2017 for the World Masters Games. Apparently the entire family is going to find a sport to participate in. lol. Mom will swim, Dad and Aunt will golf. I'll be 29 at the time unless they follow similar rules to USAT....so right now I'm only allowed to swim...25+...triathlon is 30+....haha.

2014-08-11 12:07 PM
in reply to: rymac

2014-08-11 1:24 PM

Great job training an racing everyone.

My race up Mauna Loa got postponed a month due to the storms.  Which likely means I won't be able to do it.  Not a huge deal other than eating the airfare as I wasn't feeling all that great this weekend anyway.  Had the race gone on, I can only imagine it would have been a real struggle to finish.  Ironically, the first hurricane that rolled through, went head on into the Southeast side of Mauna Loa (we would have climbed in from the Northwest), and it completely broke the hurricane up to the point where the West side of the island barely got any wind or rain.  The East side of the Big Island really took one for the team...and I know one of the guys who was helping organize the race is from that side...so I can't really complain when he notified everyone the race was postponed.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38729 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74211 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.