BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-04 8:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by nrpoulin So my new watch predicts paces. It predicts my 5k at 22:13 which is probably 90 seconds faster then I think I could run. My half time is right on what I have done and the marathon is about 30 minutes off. Anyone know why the big differences? Thanks

I don't have an answer for you but am curious about the make/model of your new watch.  Interesting that it can predict paces.  

My Garmin the (735 XT) does this. And it seems very unlikely that i can do those times.  Currently predicts at 3:45 marathon (i haven't done a marathon in about 8 years and my PB is 4:08) would seem a really big stretch and A LOT would have to go very perfectly including mileage and training

2020-03-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by JBacarella  I think media needs to stop sensationalizing this stuff and report responsibly.
  Yeah, because they are so good at that ordinarily. 

2020-03-04 9:50 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Swim - 48m 43s - 2100.00 yards - 02m 19s /100 yards
It would be unrealistic to expect to see improvement or set a PR every day. Today, I am happy to count this as a win just for getting the swim in. I had to talk myself into driving to the Y.  Then I had to talk myself into going inside.  Had to talk myself into changing out and actually walking into the pool. The first 200 yds did not feel good at all, but I persevered and completed the session. Felt fantastic walking out to the truck. Just have to remember how good that feels on those days when my mind is questing for a reason not to do this. (AHR = 117, MHR = 129)
  • Weight: 362
2020-03-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Interesting. I know that when they set up a certified course they use the most direct route from start to finish, so if you are not running the tangents correctly and or are weaving around people you will run longer than the course.  This is one of the reasons some people get frustrated when slower runners seed themselves faster than they should - they make people run around them and add distance (plus it can be dangerous.

I am always underseeded at races.  At smaller races they usually don't have any seeding and people just line up where they want to.  I always pick out the guy that I think is going to be the top runner of the day and try to make sure he is on the front row and that I am squarely behind him. Usually, there is a row of 8-14-year-olds kids on the front row though and the 'blocker" I have picked out for me is on the 2nd row and I am on the third row. 

The bigger races that I have been to with seeded corals at the front have had  2-3 "qualifying" races that you have to run to get into the preferred seeded corral. When you are coming from out of town, attending these small local "qualifying" races isn't possible so this essential is a way for race organizers to favor the home team.  Other races will allow you to submit a time for a recent certified & verified race for your qualification, but If are a triathlete that doesn't do a ton of pure running events you often don't have another 10K time, from the past 3 months on a certified course that you can submit to get seeded where you should be.  So the way the corral system is used at many races is bias and flawed. 

The first time I did the Tulsa Run I was a top 100 finisher out of s4,000 runners.  They had a seeded corral with about 300 runners in it that had about a 150-foot gap between them and the line-up point for the rest of the runners. It took me all of about 7 seconds at the start of the race to close the 150 foot lead on the seeded runners and hit a wall of slower-moving traffic.  I know I beat at least 200 of the seeded runners, but I think about half of the people that beet me didn't make the seeded coral either so the seeded races are heavily biased.  They may work for the core members of their local running club, but I am not a fan of the preferred corals at races.

2020-03-04 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Swim - 48m 43s - 2100.00 yards - 02m 19s /100 yards
It would be unrealistic to expect to see improvement or set a PR every day. Today, I am happy to count this as a win just for getting the swim in. I had to talk myself into driving to the Y.  Then I had to talk myself into going inside.  Had to talk myself into changing out and actually walking into the pool. The first 200 yds did not feel good at all, but I persevered and completed the session. Felt fantastic walking out to the truck. Just have to remember how good that feels on those days when my mind is questing for a reason not to do this. (AHR = 117, MHR = 129)
  • Weight: 362

The struggle is real so give yourself the credit you need! Great job on getting it done!!! Gold star to you (if you read/listen to Gretchen Rubin then you know - i love her & I love gold stars i award myself)!

My coached swim is late so i joke every time that the win is just making it to the pool. I guess i am only half joking. The swim part is gravy. 

2020-03-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin So my new watch predicts paces. It predicts my 5k at 22:13 which is probably 90 seconds faster then I think I could run. My half time is right on what I have done and the marathon is about 30 minutes off. Anyone know why the big differences? Thanks

My watch doesn't predict paces, but one of the training Apps that I use to log workouts does and it usually has my predicted pace at about 90 seconds slower than what I do on race day. I don't know what those watches are basing their calculations on, but when you are doing all of your training at Z1-Z2 heart rate ranges and you race a 5K at Z5b they really don't have a chance of getting things right.  Further, I think the predictive software may be assuming that I am training at Z3-Z4 based on what others might be training at for a 5K.  ...Or that it is predicting that I can only hold a Z5-Z5a for a 5K based on what others can hold for the 5K race distance.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-03-04 10:33 AM

2020-03-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Interesting. I know that when they set up a certified course they use the most direct route from start to finish, so if you are not running the tangents correctly and or are weaving around people you will run longer than the course.  This is one of the reasons some people get frustrated when slower runners seed themselves faster than they should - they make people run around them and add distance (plus it can be dangerous.

I am always underseeded at races.  At smaller races they usually don't have any seeding and people just line up where they want to.  I always pick out the guy that I think is going to be the top runner of the day and try to make sure he is on the front row and that I am squarely behind him. Usually, there is a row of 8-14-year-olds kids on the front row though and the 'blocker" I have picked out for me is on the 2nd row and I am on the third row. 

The bigger races that I have been to with seeded corals at the front have had  2-3 "qualifying" races that you have to run to get into the preferred seeded corral. When you are coming from out of town, attending these small local "qualifying" races isn't possible so this essential is a way for race organizers to favor the home team.  Other races will allow you to submit a time for a recent certified & verified race for your qualification, but If are a triathlete that doesn't do a ton of pure running events you often don't have another 10K time, from the past 3 months on a certified course that you can submit to get seeded where you should be.  So the way the corral system is used at many races is bias and flawed. 

The first time I did the Tulsa Run I was a top 100 finisher out of s4,000 runners.  They had a seeded corral with about 300 runners in it that had about a 150-foot gap between them and the line-up point for the rest of the runners. It took me all of about 7 seconds at the start of the race to close the 150 foot lead on the seeded runners and hit a wall of slower-moving traffic.  I know I beat at least 200 of the seeded runners, but I think about half of the people that beet me didn't make the seeded coral either so the seeded races are heavily biased.  They may work for the core members of their local running club, but I am not a fan of the preferred corals at races.

The only races I've done that have actual corrals are Disney (marathon and half) and Flying Pig. I spent quality time passing people in corrals ahead of me. But the worse races for that are the ones without corrals but with pace signs. Despite a million announcements to seed yourself appropriately, very few do. My last race I watched as a group of runners from my running club who run 2:30-3 minutes per mile slower than i run seeded themselves way ahead of me. I suppose it's one way to make sure you don't go out to quickly!

2020-03-05 6:24 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Do little local charity races usually have a "no headphones" rule? I know USAC races do. And I think USAT races do.

I'd like to use my phone for music and intervals for my first attempt at a 5k on May 9th.
2020-03-05 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by leatherneckpaDo little local charity races usually have a "no headphones" rule? I know USAC races do. And I think USAT races do.I'd like to use my phone for music and intervals for my first attempt at a 5k on May 9th.
Most allow them, in my experience. You can always contact the race director of your chosen race to make sure.
2020-03-05 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

The only races I've done that have actual corrals are Disney (marathon and half) and Flying Pig. I spent quality time passing people in corrals ahead of me. But the worse races for that are the ones without corrals but with pace signs. Despite a million announcements to seed yourself appropriately, very few do. My last race I watched as a group of runners from my running club who run 2:30-3 minutes per mile slower than i run seeded themselves way ahead of me. I suppose it's one way to make sure you don't go out to quickly!

I have definitely used that on purpose in a corral situation. Depends on the race, goals and training how i feel! 

2020-03-05 9:55 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
4 x W9:J1 - 45m - 3.10 miles - 14m 31s /Mi
Trepidation, I was dreading attempting W8:J2. Checked my workout plan and I am actually only supposed to be W9:J1 until next Thursday. Exultation! I was now looking forward to the workout. Whoa boy! Let's not get carried away. It was still a walking/jogging workout, and I still don't really care for those. But it went quite well. More distance, faster pace, and not huffing so much after each jog session. AHR = 123, MHR = 155

2020-03-05 1:56 PM

User image

Help!

Garmin Connect did an update last night. Now Connect is not talking to Training Peaks or Strava. It doesn't eve list Training Peaks as a choice in Partner Apps anymore.

Anyone else having problems? Anyone have a possible solution so I can get rid of the red box in TP? I did try to upload a gpx file, but it looked like I was a drunk swimmer and it had my pace as 2:45/100 so I deleted that straight away haha.
2020-03-05 2:14 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I would kill for a slice of Sicilian pizza with sausage, mushrooms, and pepperoni right now.

2020-03-05 4:37 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Help! Garmin Connect did an update last night. Now Connect is not talking to Training Peaks or Strava. It doesn't eve list Training Peaks as a choice in Partner Apps anymore. Anyone else having problems? Anyone have a possible solution so I can get rid of the red box in TP? I did try to upload a gpx file, but it looked like I was a drunk swimmer and it had my pace as 2:45/100 so I deleted that straight away haha.

Today my activities are going from Garmin to both Strava and Training Peaks. Maybe go to TP > Settings > Account > Apps & Devices and reconnect?

2020-03-06 4:29 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I would kill for a slice of Sicilian pizza with sausage, mushrooms, and pepperoni right now.

That sounds really REALLY good
2020-03-06 8:55 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania

Let the 'fun' begin.  COVID-19 has officially hit Pennsylvania with 2 confirmed cases.

2020-03-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Let the 'fun' begin.  COVID-19 has officially hit Pennsylvania with 2 confirmed cases.

It's spreading more in the US than China. 

2020-03-06 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sea Otter postponed.

Organizers of the Sea Otter Classic, scheduled for next month at the Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California, announced Thursday that they are postponing the event to an undetermined date because of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

“After a thorough review of the coronavirus threat, we’ve decided to reschedule April’s Sea Otter Classic. Additionally, People for Bikes and Sea Otter Classic will reschedule the Bicycle Leadership Conference,” event director Frank Yohannan said in an email Thursday.

2020-03-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Sea Otter postponed.

Organizers of the Sea Otter Classic, scheduled for next month at the Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California, announced Thursday that they are postponing the event to an undetermined date because of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

“After a thorough review of the coronavirus threat, we’ve decided to reschedule April’s Sea Otter Classic. Additionally, People for Bikes and Sea Otter Classic will reschedule the Bicycle Leadership Conference,” event director Frank Yohannan said in an email Thursday.

Keep it out of western NC, please! And, TN.

2020-03-06 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sea Otter postponed.

So far it's only in Raleigh. The person here is in isolation at home.  Then again, they haven't tested anyone else.

2020-03-06 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 7-8
Curtis - Pitsburg County Cowboy 5K
Nancy - 3 Bridges 10k

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-03-06 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sea Otter postponed.

So far it's only in Raleigh. The person here is in isolation at home.  Then again, they haven't tested anyone else.

We're up to two cases (both Raleigh area)! The first was from Washington state, the second is from Italy.

The Chatham County man traveled in late February to an area in Italy that now has a COVID-19 outbreak. He had two days of mild, flu-like symptoms while in Italy.

His fever resolved and symptoms were improving, and he flew back to the United States the following day. He was a contact to a case in Georgia and the Georgia Department of Health notified North Carolina health officials.

2020-03-06 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by amd723   It's spreading more in the US than China.
   Sure, why wouldn't it?  we have much greater opportunities to travel and much quicker transportation.  This thing has a 14 day quarantine period.  Just look within our own group and see all the travel that has occurred in the last two weeks.

2020-03-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Bike - 50m - 12.66 miles - 15.20 Mi/hr
Rode Sunday Afternoon again today. Slightly faster (0.1mph) and slightly longer (0.31mi) so I am happy. Looking at HR, I started at 61 and after 2m was reading 103. Then it's a fairly steady climb to a MHR = 136, with a 50m AHR = 119. 52% in Z3 and 29% in Z4. I crossed into Z3 around 10:30 and never went back down.

Swim - 31m 35s - 1200.00 yards - 02m 38s /100 yards
Positively BRUTAL swim wearing the largest, draggiest t-shirt I own. First I had to wait over 20 minutes for an open lane. Fortunately I have nothing better to do. Working out is my new "part-time job".  I averaged 4-5 strokes more per length than usual, and my time was obviously way up from normal, 20s or so. AHR = 116, MHR = 134 83% in Z3, 3% in Z4.
  • Weight: 362, stayed the same this week, which is better than gaining I suppose.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-03-06 11:42 AM
2020-03-06 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723   It's spreading more in the US than China.
   Sure, why wouldn't it?  we have much greater opportunities to travel and much quicker transportation.  This thing has a 14 day quarantine period.  Just look within our own group and see all the travel that has occurred in the last two weeks.

I think I meant this to say that we will be seeing more cases as we are still on the upswing while China, where it was first reported/started,  may have gotten through the worst and maybe seeing the light at the end. They are seeing reasons to be optimistic while we are in panic mode. Of course, this is a developing by the hour situation, so who really knows! Just stop the crashing stock market please

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127