BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-16 10:50 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Chris, I have found that being in this group has encouraged me to improve my BT abilities.  And lose time 

Hahaha!

For BT stalking, probably the easiest thing is to either friend everyone and then go through their blogs by going to Community > Friends or to make a table and put it in your own blog. 

Does anyone have a table that they can share?

Spring 2015
Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You!

Spring 2015 thread #1
Manatee bike gallery, Twitter list and
Google+ Community, Strava group
Yanti (TriAya)Matt MS (msteiner)
Chris (cdban66)Janyne (jmkizer)
Mary (laffinrock)Ann-Marie(amd723)
Matt TX (mcmanusclan5)Judi (QueenZipp)
Melanie (melbo55)Stacey (StaceyK)
TJ (rrrunner)Amy (amy mutz RESTRICTED)
Michael (Havok)Neil (Neil65)
Tom (ponderingfox)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Randee (MtnBikerChk)Mike (jmhpsu93)
Sean (Jet Black)Robin (fortissimo)
Nancy (glfprncs)Ben (brigby1)
Steve (popsracer)Erin (4agoodlife)
Emily (emer)Monica (blueyedbikergirl)
Jo (jobaxas)Jonathan (JJ)
Darren (Richardsdrr) 

There's now a BT album bike gallery as well.  Got a link to that?

Chris (cdban66) has the table on his dashboard.  It has the link to the bike gallery on it but not the groups (Really, Chris?!  Sheesh! ).  Just add a line to your table and copy that link in.

2015-01-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

January 17-18
Adrienne - Capitol Peak Mega Fat 25K Trail Run on Saturday
Steve - 5k trail run on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants, Mary is continuing to stalk you!

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Good luck Adrienne and Steve!  Race smart, and race fast!

Mary and Matt heal up!

2015-01-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!

January 17-18

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge participants, Mary is continuing to stalk you!

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Go Salty and Steve!!!!!!!!

Mary and Matt TX HEAL ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!

x2!!

And, look at all the Manatees in this season's pod!  And, all very active posters too - yay!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Salty and Steve!!  Have fun on the trails and enjoy the views!!

Heal up, Matt TX.  Wanna race to see who heals up first? 

I'm workin' on healing, I'm workin' on it.  PT exercises are going well and I'm being very diligent about doing them every day.  I'm going to wait on buying another pair of shoes until the PT takes a look at me running in the ones I have.  Might as well spend the money on something else for now, like a cadence/speed sensor for my bike. 

By my count, we have 32 Manatees this season.  I'm loving the variety of conversations, even if it feels a bit like an OWS sometimes!

2015-01-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by popsracer

On a related bike gear question, I've used a Cat-eye double wireless for years and it is approaching the end of its life.  Buttons stick, auto pause doesn't work anymore, etc.

I do not link to anything so just need good basics like speed, distance, cadence.  Don't do power but would like something compatible for the future maybe.

It has been forever since I've looked at what is available and am a little overwhelmed with the options.  What do you think of about a Garmin 500?  I found a bundle which includes speed/cadence sensor and heartrate for $199.

Also, can this be easily swapped between by bikes?

that sounds like a great deal! I love my 810 - and the only reason I went with that over the 500 is for mapping. I swap it between my bikes all the time - super easy!

Looks like Mary found a 500 in the classifieds. Timely!

Timely indeed.  I was just talking with Alex about getting a better computer last night and stumbled across it this morning.  Doesn't have a HRM but that's okay; I already have one.  Guess I'll need to get a speed/cadence sensor.  Given the price I got it for, I'm happy to shell out for that.  Now I'm just hoping that he doesn't give it to the local guy who contacted him after I did...

Yeah I wondered about that as well.

So I was just playing with map my run and realized that the long santa fe run that I thought would get me about 10 miles downhill is only about 6 miles. Not as helpful for marathon training.

Yippee!!!!  I got the Garmin 500 for a really sweet deal!!  I offered to throw in $10 for shipping so he wouldn't give it to the local guy.  He said I got first dibs and he'd ship it priority mail for $5.  It'll be on its way tomorrow.  (throws hat in air and does a happy dance)

That's great.  I'm really excited to get mine too.  Sounds like an awesome product.  I hope the install goes well 

2015-01-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by msteiner

Oh man it's finally Friday!  I have a team camp that starts this afternoon with a MTB ride, and then we have two days of road training.  It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

That sounds like a lot of fun.  Great followup weekend after last weekends race.

2015-01-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

January 17-18

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Washington Represent! Go hawks

2015-01-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

It should be an excellent weekend. Climbing tonight, racing the trails tomorrow, climbing Sunday, Hiking/Splitboarding Monday. 

Prepping for a summit of Mt. St. Helens next weekend (weather permitting

Yeah, that one...

2015-01-16 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It should be an excellent weekend. Climbing tonight, racing the trails tomorrow, climbing Sunday, Hiking/Splitboarding Monday. 

Yeah, that one...

Oh dear. Don't fall in?

2015-01-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black The sun is finally making an appearance here in Texas! Seems like the first time in weeks. Ok Manatees I need some mentoring on in workout nutrition. I have a 2 hour ride tomorrow, should I bring anything? What are some guidelines on when you need to refuel on several hours long workouts? Do I need to go buy those goo things or can I just bring a banana or something?

For a 90 minute or more ride I may bring either some Hammer Gel, Clif Shot, or my squeeze bottle of Honey. Fig Newtons work well for me also. Sometimes I simply use Gatorade, but it depends on my objectives. Usually race with Gatorade, Powerade, or Honey.  And Hands-Marie hit the nail on the head, work on it, because it is specific to you.

Whomever was looking for the bike gallery: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246

2015-01-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Yeah, that one...

Oh dear. Don't fall in?

At least it's only half as high.

BTW went to the roastery. It was amazing. Also, am drinking a flat white. It's good. 

2015-01-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black The sun is finally making an appearance here in Texas! Seems like the first time in weeks. Ok Manatees I need some mentoring on in workout nutrition. I have a 2 hour ride tomorrow, should I bring anything? What are some guidelines on when you need to refuel on several hours long workouts? Do I need to go buy those goo things or can I just bring a banana or something?

I thought it was always sunny in Texas.

Long rides are a great time to practice nutrition for your upcoming race.  In an HIM, nutrition is crucial and long rides/runs are the time to figure out what your body tolerates and what it does not.  First thing I figure out is how many calories do I want to consume and then how do I want to take them in.  One can take in too much and suffer from GI issues which in my opinion is worse than taking in too little and running out of energy.

Your body can only process a limited amount of calories.  Rule of thumb is between 200-300 calories per hour depending on your weight, effort, etc.  I usually figure I'll take in about 200 calories per hour with gels or energy blocks and cap it off with whatever I'm drinking.  Try to keep it as simple as possible.  I buy gel in bulk and use a 5 ounce flask.  Mix 4 ounces (about 90 calaories each) with one ounce of water to make it easier to drink.  This gives me 2 hours of nutrition which I'll parse out about every 15 minutes.

On your long rides, try a few different things.  Everybody is very different with nutrition and the only way to find what is right for you is your own trial and error. 

2015-01-16 12:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, that one...

Wow.  Quite the weekend.  I was a freshman at University of Washington when it blew.  A buddy and I snuck into the blast zone the day after to get a peek.  We went in on a small dirt road and there were people coming out the other way in shock.  I remember a car coming out stopped and said "you don't want to go in there"  but we were dumb college kids drinking beer most of the way.  Anyway, it's an awesome sight and should be an interesting climb.  Be careful though.

Good luck on the race.  I wish I was going but we'll see you at Lake Sam. GO HAWKS!!!

2015-01-16 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!

January 17-18

Disabled List
Mary - knee
Matt TX - Achilles

67% - 1 person
    73% - 1 person
    80% - 1 person
    93% - 5 people
    100% - 13 people

Washington Represent! Go hawks

GOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!

Salty, that needed to be a lot bigger... 

GO HAWKS!!!

Seahawks

2015-01-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Yeah, that one...

Wow.  Quite the weekend.  I was a freshman at University of Washington when it blew.  A buddy and I snuck into the blast zone the day after to get a peek.  We went in on a small dirt road and there were people coming out the other way in shock.  I remember a car coming out stopped and said "you don't want to go in there"  but we were dumb college kids drinking beer most of the way.  Anyway, it's an awesome sight and should be an interesting climb.  Be careful though.

Good luck on the race.  I wish I was going but we'll see you at Lake Sam. GO HAWKS!!!

I wasn't born yet

My boss's mother summited before it erupted. I think that is so cool to be able to say. My family was on a camping trip when it erupted I guess. They said the ash came down like snow and they had to put diapers on their face to breathe. I bet that was so surreal. 

Did you get any pics of the blast zone? Was there still a lot of ash in the air?

2015-01-16 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, that one...

Oh dear. Don't fall in?

At least it's only half as high.

BTW went to the roastery. It was amazing. Also, am drinking a flat white. It's good. 

You are KILLIN me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-01-16 12:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yeah, that one...

I wasn't born yet

Gee, thanks for making me feel old.

I remember getting ash here in CO, not a lot but we definitely got some amazing sunsets and the cars got fairly dirty.  TJ, I didn't make that up, did I?  I think I remember that....

2015-01-16 12:52 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Yeah, that one...

I wasn't born yet

I remember getting ash here in CO, not a lot but we definitely got some amazing sunsets and the cars got fairly dirty.  TJ, I didn't make that up, did I?  I think I remember that....

I remember hearing stories from my grandparents about the eruption as they were driving through Washington on their way home to Vancouver from their snowbird place in Arizona.  I was 5 at the time so not a whole lot of memories, but my grandparents sure had stories from that day!  

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, that one...

I wasn't born yet

Beats me I was just a baby

Ok I lied. Yes I do remember ash on the cars and some bizzare skies.

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, that one...

I wasn't born yet

My boss's mother summited before it erupted. I think that is so cool to be able to say. My family was on a camping trip when it erupted I guess. They said the ash came down like snow and they had to put diapers on their face to breathe. I bet that was so surreal. 

Did you get any pics of the blast zone? Was there still a lot of ash in the air?

[/QUOTE

Didn't think to bring a camera.  We left in the middle of the night after a party on one of those impromptu alcohol induced road trips a la Animal House.  We were on the other side of most of the ash cloud.  It had rained so it was more ash mud everywhere.  It was very surreal.  Everyone was so scared and in shock around the blast zone.  We really only got into the fringe of the true carnage but it was vast.  Much of it looks very different today as nature has hidden/healed many of the scars upon the landscape.   I remember as a little boy puttering around on Spirit Lake in a small motorboat that we rented from Harry Truman at his small lodge.  We were amazed at the pumice that would float in the water.  The entire Lake was destroyed along with Harry.  He refused to evacuate.

2015-01-16 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

2015-01-16 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

Me too!!

2015-01-16 1:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, that one...

I wasn't born yet

[/QUOTE

Didn't think to bring a camera.  We left in the middle of the night after a party on one of those impromptu alcohol induced road trips a la Animal House.  We were on the other side of most of the ash cloud.  It had rained so it was more ash mud everywhere.  It was very surreal.  Everyone was so scared and in shock around the blast zone.  We really only got into the fringe of the true carnage but it was vast.  Much of it looks very different today as nature has hidden/healed many of the scars upon the landscape.   I remember as a little boy puttering around on Spirit Lake in a small motorboat that we rented from Harry Truman at his small lodge.  We were amazed at the pumice that would float in the water.  The entire Lake was destroyed along with Harry.  He refused to evacuate.

Wow!!!

So cool. 

2015-01-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Be fleet of feet, Salty and Steve!

Heal, Mary and Matt TX!

For those who were discussing Skratch Lab drink flavors, TriSports (and probably other sites, they are the one I use most frequently) sells single serving packets which are excellent for a non-committal test run.  I bought one of each flavor (as well as a big bag of raspberry, not sure why I decided to commit to that flavor, thankfully it's good) in my last nutrition order and so far orange is my fave, although I like them all.  I didn't try the apple cinnamon hot (wish I would've) and still didn't try the matcha/green tea yet.  Pineapple seemed a bit weak but was good.

I was in elementary school when Mt. St. Helen's erupted, possibly fueling a life-long fascination with volcanos.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-16 1:04 PM
2015-01-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Be fleet of feet, Salty and Steve!

Heal, Mary and Matt TX!

For those who were discussing Skratch Lab drink flavors, TriSports (and probably other sites, they are the one I use most frequently) sells single serving packets which are excellent for a non-committal test run.  I bought one of each flavor (as well as a big bag of raspberry, not sure why I decided to commit to that flavor, thankfully it's good) in my last nutrition order and so far orange is my fave, although I like them all.  I didn't try the apple cinnamon hot (wish I would've) and still didn't try the matcha/green tea yet.  Pineapple seemed a bit weak but was good.

I was in elementary school when Mt. St. Helen's erupted, possibly fueling a life-long fascination with volcanos.

Ummmmm sooo when are you coming to the Pacific Northwest? We've kinda' got it goin' on...

2015-01-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

And while we are talking about volcanoes, something I find fascinating are the Three Sisters in Oregon. 

There are three of them, grouped very close together yet all very different. One if extinct, one inactive and one active. They were all formed during separate time periods. 

I'm going to run Mt. Bachelor (also a volcano) for the mountain running national championship then plan to head to South sister and run-summit in July. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-16 1:15 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55445 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.