BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It should be an excellent weekend. Climbing tonight, racing the trails tomorrow, climbing Sunday, Hiking/Splitboarding Monday. 

Prepping for a summit of Mt. St. Helens next weekend (weather permitting

Yeah, that one...

Wow.  Quite the weekend.  I was a freshman at University of Washington when it blew.  A buddy and I snuck into the blast zone the day after to get a peek.  We went in on a small dirt road and there were people coming out the other way in shock.  I remember a car coming out stopped and said "you don't want to go in there"  but we were dumb college kids drinking beer most of the way.  Anyway, it's an awesome sight and should be an interesting climb.  Be careful though.

Good luck on the race.  I wish I was going but we'll see you at Lake Sam. GO HAWKS!!!

I wasn't born yet

My boss's mother summited before it erupted. I think that is so cool to be able to say. My family was on a camping trip when it erupted I guess. They said the ash came down like snow and they had to put diapers on their face to breathe. I bet that was so surreal. 

Did you get any pics of the blast zone? Was there still a lot of ash in the air?

[/QUOTE

Didn't think to bring a camera.  We left in the middle of the night after a party on one of those impromptu alcohol induced road trips a la Animal House.  We were on the other side of most of the ash cloud.  It had rained so it was more ash mud everywhere.  It was very surreal.  Everyone was so scared and in shock around the blast zone.  We really only got into the fringe of the true carnage but it was vast.  Much of it looks very different today as nature has hidden/healed many of the scars upon the landscape.   I remember as a little boy puttering around on Spirit Lake in a small motorboat that we rented from Harry Truman at his small lodge.  We were amazed at the pumice that would float in the water.  The entire Lake was destroyed along with Harry.  He refused to evacuate.

I was in Spokane for a Baton competition (insert snicker here) when it erupted.  I was young, 8 I guess, but I remember the ash all over everything and how the sky was dark in the middle of the day.  A few years ago my SO and I did a road trip down the west coast of WA and visited the historic site.  I learned a lot, it was a really cool experience.  They have voice recordings of David Johnston who died manning the observation post.  I highly recommend visiting.

Have fun, be careful, Salty

Edited by IronOx 2015-01-16 2:25 PM

2015-01-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

Nah, I think it was their first year of trying out the snow-bird thing as they had JUST retired.  

Hey, I'm older than Salty, at least I was BORN when it erupted!!! 

Hey welcome back Mrs. Homeowner!

Thanks!!  It's been a mad-house, whirlwind, crazy-town around the place for the past couple of weeks, it will be nice to actually NOT feel like I need to be going at full speed for a while!  

2015-01-16 2:32 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

This is high on my fav list:

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

I'm with you there!  Apple-Cinnamon is about my favorite Hammer.  I'm liking the Root Beer Gu right now though (and Espresso Love.  Always espresso love!)

2015-01-16 2:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Did my first Sufferfest video in two years at lunch today, "The Rookie", which if you go by IF is the easiest one outside of Elements of Style.  OMG that hurt. 

The ToS is going to kill me. 

Yeah but an hour at that IF is a lot harder than Violator which is a bunch of sprints.  It partially depends on what your strength is too.  The Rookie is my favorite video, and I've done them all.  It does a great job of capturing how chaotic pacing in a race can be.

I like that one too, though I haven't really gone after it yet to see just how much they push. Haven't really pushed the bike in awhile. Pretty much all of the vids should hurt in one way or another.

I've been afraid to go down this path.  I have one of the videos I got a while ago and it was tough.  Don't remember which one it was.  I think I prefer Netflix.

2015-01-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Did my first Sufferfest video in two years at lunch today, "The Rookie", which if you go by IF is the easiest one outside of Elements of Style.  OMG that hurt. 

The ToS is going to kill me. 

Yeah but an hour at that IF is a lot harder than Violator which is a bunch of sprints.  It partially depends on what your strength is too.  The Rookie is my favorite video, and I've done them all.  It does a great job of capturing how chaotic pacing in a race can be.

I like that one too, though I haven't really gone after it yet to see just how much they push. Haven't really pushed the bike in awhile. Pretty much all of the vids should hurt in one way or another.

I've been afraid to go down this path.  I have one of the videos I got a while ago and it was tough.  Don't remember which one it was.  I think I prefer Netflix.

In spite of what some think, the difficulty can be adjusted to something below passing out or throwing up. I've only gone as hard as they've said maybe a few times in several years of using the videos. Still not exactly *easy* though. I don't use TR either and just figure about what works best for what I need that day. I vary the effort up and down some, but don't really attack like they state either.

2015-01-16 2:54 PM

User image

Seattle

And while we are talking about volcanoes, something I find fascinating are the Three Sisters in Oregon. 

There are three of them, grouped very close together yet all very different. One if extinct, one inactive and one active. They were all formed during separate time periods. 

I'm going to run Mt. Bachelor (also a volcano) for the mountain running national championship then plan to head to South sister and run-summit in July. 

You see some pretty cool stuff. I do miss Colorado's 14ers but I guess I could avail myself more to the mountains we have here.

Oh, so talking with DS2 last night... it's still way way down the road but he was saying the type of sub he wants to crew is only at the base in GA and the one in WA. So I may be visiting (a lot) in a couple years

Sub as in submarine? 

Yes. He goes in in a couple weeks *sigh*. He'll spend a couple years in Charleston (where I'll get to meet Janyne) after which he is stationed on a submarine. So my son who currently has a degree in abnormal psychology from UCLA will also have a degree in nuclear engineering from MIT.  

So he deploys and you stay?

And wow you must be proud!

I was initially going to be a nuclear or mechanical engineer and I worked on this badboy for a couple years after highschool and summers between college:

When you say WA, do you mean Bangor? 

2015-01-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

And while we are talking about volcanoes, something I find fascinating are the Three Sisters in Oregon. 

There are three of them, grouped very close together yet all very different. One if extinct, one inactive and one active. They were all formed during separate time periods. 

I'm going to run Mt. Bachelor (also a volcano) for the mountain running national championship then plan to head to South sister and run-summit in July. 

You see some pretty cool stuff. I do miss Colorado's 14ers but I guess I could avail myself more to the mountains we have here.

Oh, so talking with DS2 last night... it's still way way down the road but he was saying the type of sub he wants to crew is only at the base in GA and the one in WA. So I may be visiting (a lot) in a couple years

Sub as in submarine? 

Yes. He goes in in a couple weeks *sigh*. He'll spend a couple years in Charleston (where I'll get to meet Janyne) after which he is stationed on a submarine. So my son who currently has a degree in abnormal psychology from UCLA will also have a degree in nuclear engineering from MIT.  

I was initially going to be a nuclear or mechanical engineer and I worked on this badboy for a couple years after highschool and summers between college:

He just said Washington or Georgia. I'm familiar with the GA base from my time there but don't know much more about the WA base. We'll just end up visiting him wherever he ends up. Of course, once he starts having a family I may be motivated to be closer. I am extremely proud of him and get emotional when I really start to think about it.

I'm looking forward to touring the ships and subs once he gets to Charleston. I can't even imagine life on there. I devour the pictures on FB from the various ships and subs. It'll be a great life for a single guy.

2015-01-16 3:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Time for a tea break, Stacey, Mary, Matt and Erin!  You can join in, too, Robin with your iced tea! Stacey, you inspired me to have English Breakfast today, I alternate between Earl Grey and this at work, but have other varieties at home.  Darjeeling = yum!  Jasmine = swoon!

So y'all are having High Tea?

That's only legal in Colorado.  But it's herbal and all (and would probably taste completely foul!).  I drink Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea all morning long.  It's cinnamon/orange, oh so yummy, doesn't need any sugar, and makes my office smell heavenly.

As for Skratch flavors, I like the raspberry and orange, as well as the apple cinnamon (seeing a theme here?).  I thought the pineapple was weak too.  Lemon is okay.  I'm fortunately to be able to get it from my LRS and LBS.  The LBS is closer but has a smaller variety.  I really like mixing it with seltzer after my workouts.  I sweat glow a lot and it makes for a refreshing recovery drink.  I make it a little weak so it's not too sweet.  I put 1 scoop in 24 oz. instead of the recommended 16 oz.

2015-01-16 3:13 PM

User image

Master

Time for a tea break, Stacey, Mary, Matt and Erin!  You can join in, too, Robin with your iced tea! Stacey, you inspired me to have English Breakfast today, I alternate between Earl Grey and this at work, but have other varieties at home.  Darjeeling = yum!  Jasmine = swoon!

So y'all are having High Tea?

Only Mary can do it legally.

ETA: doh! See what happens when I try to read in order?

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-01-16 3:18 PM
2015-01-16 3:19 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

The sun is out here too, finally.      The temperature is in the 50's.    It's a bloody heat wave.  Today's ride will NOT be on the trainer.     Time to pump up the tires and hit the road.    After that I'm thinking of going to the local high school and see if the football field is solid enough to do an easy barefoot run.    

Gotta take advantage of the weather window. It behooves us to take advantage of the weather window.   It's supposed to last three days.   Then back to winter.  Multitask to maximize.  Thinking, amongst other things, to go kayaking tomorrow.    Break out the grill and the frozen concoction machine.

DOOOOOOO EEEEETTTT, DOOOOOO EEEEEEET AAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  Heat wave here, too.  39, LOL.

We're in the 50's. Loving it.

Us too.  Might have to hop on the bike this weekend.

2015-01-16 3:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by laffinrock

It should be an excellent weekend. Climbing tonight, racing the trails tomorrow, climbing Sunday, Hiking/Splitboarding Monday. 

Prepping for a summit of Mt. St. Helens next weekend (weather permitting

Yeah, that one...

Wow.  Quite the weekend.  I was a freshman at University of Washington when it blew.  A buddy and I snuck into the blast zone the day after to get a peek.  We went in on a small dirt road and there were people coming out the other way in shock.  I remember a car coming out stopped and said "you don't want to go in there"  but we were dumb college kids drinking beer most of the way.  Anyway, it's an awesome sight and should be an interesting climb.  Be careful though.

Good luck on the race.  I wish I was going but we'll see you at Lake Sam. GO HAWKS!!!

I wasn't born yet

Gee, thanks for making me feel old.

I remember getting ash here in CO, not a lot but we definitely got some amazing sunsets and the cars got fairly dirty.  TJ, I didn't make that up, did I?  I think I remember that....

Beats me I was just a baby

Ok I lied. Yes I do remember ash on the cars and some bizzare skies.

Oh ha ha.  I know what age group you're in, missy, and you'll be moving up before I am!  That's what you get for racing with me.

Salty, I don't think I said it: what cool runs you're doing!!

2015-01-16 3:23 PM

User image

Master

Nice! Now did I just save money on stuff I would have bought anyway or spend extra because it was on sale?

Well, in our house the formula is 2(n+1)...so you saved money. (totally logical)

2015-01-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

Stories from your grandparents?!?! OK, now I'm feeling pretty old.

Nah, I think it was their first year of trying out the snow-bird thing as they had JUST retired.  

Hey, I'm older than Salty, at least I was BORN when it erupted!!! 

Hey welcome back Mrs. Homeowner!

Thanks!!  It's been a mad-house, whirlwind, crazy-town around the place for the past couple of weeks, it will be nice to actually NOT feel like I need to be going at full speed for a while!  

Can you even do that?

2015-01-16 3:30 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

All weekend. It's REALLY warm. Like not feeling at all like winter kind of weather. I'd be happy dropping 8-10* off this.                  

Switch to                Celsius                                       

Today

Mostly Sunny                                 

Hi: 74 °F                                      

Mostly sunny. Highs 69 to 74. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.… more                 

Tonight

Mostly Clear                                 

Lo: 43 °F                                      

Mostly clear. Lows 39 to 47. Northeast wind around 5 mph.… more

2015-01-16 3:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Nice! Now did I just save money on stuff I would have bought anyway or spend extra because it was on sale?

Well, in our house the formula is 2(n+1)...so you saved money. (totally logical)

What??

2015-01-16 3:37 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Sub as in submarine? 

TJ...which carrier is that? My uncle, who was a bombardier/navigator before the A-6 Intruder was decommissioned spent most of his career on the USS Midway and then the USS Ranger. He was on the Ranger during the Gulf War (was it an actual war then--Desert Storm?) and ran strike operations for the bombing runs off the Ranger. Needless to say, sleep was minimal because he said, "Who can sleep when you have planes still off the carrier?" When he was still actively flying, he would video take-offs and landings from the carrier and send videos home to us. Scary enough during the day, but at night...CRAZY! He was stationed between Japan and NAS Whidbey (Washington) during 16 of his 20+ years.

I spent a lot of school breaks with them while I was in college and skied many times at Mt. Bachelor. The locals always mentioned that she was "venting." Looked like clouds to me at the time.

When I left work this afternoon, I noticed this bright orb in the sky. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Edited by glfprncs 2015-01-16 3:43 PM

2015-01-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

I need to try this:

I won an ENTIRE box of the Huckleberry Hammer gels at a race last year. I used two of them, gagged at the sweetness, and passed them along to a friend.

When I was using gels, peanut butter Gu was my go to flavor.
2015-01-16 3:48 PM

User image

Master

What??

Between J and I, we buy double of most things. So the way I see it, you saved money. Right? Just agree and feel good about it.

2015-01-16 4:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

What??

Between J and I, we buy double of most things. So the way I see it, you saved money. Right? Just agree and feel good about it.

But putting that last part together is how I know something is wrong!

2015-01-16 4:42 PM

User image

Master

I need to try this:

Apple-Cinnamon!!

^^^^those have been my "go to" Gu choice, but had one last week and barely choked it down. Either need to re-train myself on the Gu or try a different flavor for awhile.

2015-01-16 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Sub as in submarine? 

Nuclear Engineer + Abnormal Psychology= Desire to be on a sub. As a former Air Force Guy, I can understand how the psychology works with the nuclear side, just seriously confused about the sub thing.

All jest aside, You should be very proud of your son!

Edited by tcarlson78 2015-01-16 4:46 PM

2015-01-16 4:52 PM

User image

Master

What??

But putting that last part together is how I know something is wrong!

(no way! finally a use for this emoticon!)

2015-01-16 5:06 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by glfprncs

Sub as in submarine? 

TJ...which carrier is that? My uncle, who was a bombardier/navigator before the A-6 Intruder was decommissioned spent most of his career on the USS Midway and then the USS Ranger. He was on the Ranger during the Gulf War (was it an actual war then--Desert Storm?) and ran strike operations for the bombing runs off the Ranger. Needless to say, sleep was minimal because he said, "Who can sleep when you have planes still off the carrier?" When he was still actively flying, he would video take-offs and landings from the carrier and send videos home to us. Scary enough during the day, but at night...CRAZY! He was stationed between Japan and NAS Whidbey (Washington) during 16 of his 20+ years. I spent a lot of school breaks with them while I was in college and skied many times at Mt. Bachelor. The locals always mentioned that she was "venting." Looked like clouds to me at the time. When I left work this afternoon, I noticed this bright orb in the sky. Anyone have any idea what it is?

You mean me, not TJ, right?

That is CVN 72 

2015-01-16 5:11 PM

User image

Denver, CO

For a late afternoon chuckle, I just got this from a coworker:

Citation: Copier Abuse

December 15th, 2014 · 24 comments

Alice in Fresno says that since this sign went up, she’s made a point of greeting the copier every time she passes it. The coworker who wrote it was apparently tired of hearing people cursing out the (stupid!) machine when it screws up (all the damn time!).

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TALKING TO, OR ABOUT, THE COPIER.

ETA: to give proper credit, this is from passiveagressivenotes.com.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-01-16 5:13 PM
2015-01-16 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

All weekend. It's REALLY warm. Like not feeling at all like winter kind of weather. I'd be happy dropping 8-10* off this.                  

Switch to                Celsius                                       

Today

Mostly Sunny                                 

Hi: 74 °F                                      

Mostly sunny. Highs 69 to 74. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.… more                 

Tonight

Mostly Clear                                 

Lo: 43 °F                                      

Mostly clear. Lows 39 to 47. Northeast wind around 5 mph.… more

Gonna be 100+ here today and slightly cooler tomorrow (maybe 95). But Gerrie has found a place to keep cool for at least part of the day.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (158KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55451 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.