Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-06-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Chris - here's my setup. You can see the camping shock cord that I used, and it's been perfect - no ejections. I also think I was pretty lucky with the zip ties and location of the cage on the rails because it all fits in nicely and is a pretty clean setup (if I do say so).

(BTS.2.jpg)

(BTS.1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BTS.2.jpg (46KB - 5 downloads)
BTS.1.jpg (44KB - 4 downloads)

2013-06-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: spudone

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by spudone

The start of summer = new toys.  I did my routine maintenance and then added a couple extras.

- new chain
- new freehub body for my powertap.  Why they make alloy ones, I'll never know.  They get chewed up so fast.  Anyhow, the replacement is steel, +80 grams over the alloy (oooooooooh!)
- single bottle delta wing
- swim buoy for OWS... finally.  Lots of boats on my lake.  Safety first.
- new helmet

I probably forgot something.  What new shiny things have you guys grabbed lately?

. Went out and bought a fancy new crank for the road bike. Compact crank no less.

Jealous.  Smile

I'd like to upgrade the crank to, likely, a compact on my tri-bike - and of course that would require a power meter (hope Kim doesn't read this!) - but having just bought bike, I'm going to be responsible and wait a couple weeks...

What did you go with?

Matt

2013-06-10 11:48 PM

Compact crank no less.

whaaaaaa?  

2013-06-11 5:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-11 8:13 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Just signed up for Miami 70.3 in October.  My wife and I decided to do a race + cruise.  She is running a half marathon here Oct 20th, we'll fly to Miami a few days later, I'll do the 70.3 and then we jump on a 4 day Bahamas cruise the next day.

2013-06-11 8:23 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Payson, AZ

So today's run was Breyer's last run in Payson.  Apparently the javelinahave setup shop in the hood.  I saw them on my first lap but they were off on the trail at the end of the road eating away but sometime after I passed them they moved down the street into a neighbors yard.  As I passed them the next lap around they started to run off but Breyer being Breyer decided to start chasing them, which caused one of them to turn around and start chasing us.  So here I am with this 60 pound dog trying to run at the javelinaand me running in the opposite direction pulling said 60 pound dog with all my might.  It was exhausting, I just wanted to stop but the little bugger would not stop chasing us.  So I never did go all that fast but I extended so much energy that I ended up with a slight asthma attack.

So, if anyone is looking for an interval workout I've got a good one for you.  Just need a dog and a javelina.

2013-06-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by bzgl40

So today's run was Breyer's last run in Payson.  Apparently the javelinahave setup shop in the hood.  I saw them on my first lap but they were off on the trail at the end of the road eating away but sometime after I passed them they moved down the street into a neighbors yard.  As I passed them the next lap around they started to run off but Breyer being Breyer decided to start chasing them, which caused one of them to turn around and start chasing us.  So here I am with this 60 pound dog trying to run at the javelinaand me running in the opposite direction pulling said 60 pound dog with all my might.  It was exhausting, I just wanted to stop but the little bugger would not stop chasing us.  So I never did go all that fast but I extended so much energy that I ended up with a slight asthma attack.

So, if anyone is looking for an interval workout I've got a good one for you.  Just need a dog and a javelina.

I'm going to miss all the workout drama you have when you move.    

or do you have equally exciting wildlife in the new location?

2013-06-11 8:52 AM

Master
Central Kansas

That is scary. I saw a couple alongside the road in West Texas one time, while I was in my car. I double checked that my doors were locked. I know that isn't logical, but they scared me. So far, we don't have them here, but I know it's just a matter of time. We didn't have armadillos when we first moved here, and now they are quite common.

2013-06-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

Master
Central Kansas

The heat is killing me. Typical Kansas. We had no spring to speak of. I'm going to try to get out there and do something before it gets into the 90s, but I don't think I'm going to make it. It's not even 9 am.

I must get up earlier. I must get up earlier. I must.

2013-06-11 9:08 AM

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by axteraa

I'm going to miss all the workout drama you have when you move.    

or do you have equally exciting wildlife in the new location?

I won't have elk but javelina should still be around.  Although I saw them in Tucson a lot and never had this issue.  I think they are more adjusted to people there then here in the forest.  I expect to see more coyote there though.  I hear them often here but rarely see them.  It's getting too hot to run the dogs though so probably a drama free summer.

2013-06-11 9:42 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisM

Compact crank no less.

whaaaaaa?  

BLASPHEMY!

2013-06-11 9:53 AM

Originally posted by axteraaJust signed up for Miami 70.3 in October.  My wife and I decided to do a race + cruise.  She is running a half marathon here Oct 20th, we'll fly to Miami a few days later, I'll do the 70.3 and then we jump on a 4 day Bahamas cruise the next day.
See you there.
2013-06-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: spudone

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by spudone

The start of summer = new toys.  I did my routine maintenance and then added a couple extras.

- new chain
- new freehub body for my powertap.  Why they make alloy ones, I'll never know.  They get chewed up so fast.  Anyhow, the replacement is steel, +80 grams over the alloy (oooooooooh!)
- single bottle delta wing
- swim buoy for OWS... finally.  Lots of boats on my lake.  Safety first.
- new helmet

I probably forgot something.  What new shiny things have you guys grabbed lately?

I am getting a new set of training/general purpose wheels for my road bike. Wanted something lighter, stiffer (and honestly a little blingier) than my craptastic beater shimanos. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a set of 303s or 404s, but after talking to guru I ordered a custom built set instead: red Chris King hubs, black H+Son SL-42 hoops, Sapin cx-ray spokes. I could have walked out with the zipps for over twice the price, so I figured he steered me in the right direction. Hopefully will be able to pick them up this week.

2013-06-11 10:06 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

whoo, Kim - sounds like you cannot move soon enough - next week, right? We don't have javelina, and most of our bigger wildlife (coyotes, black bear, etc) are more a nuisance than anything. They tend to avoid human interaction the best they can. But it is snake hurdling season here. Lord, do we ever have the snakes. Definitely have to be alert when running trails, which is where I do most of my running.

2013-06-11 10:11 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by TankBoy

whoo, Kim - sounds like you cannot move soon enough - next week, right? We don't have javelina, and most of our bigger wildlife (coyotes, black bear, etc) are more a nuisance than anything. They tend to avoid human interaction the best they can. But it is snake hurdling season here. Lord, do we ever have the snakes. Definitely have to be alert when running trails, which is where I do most of my running.

hum, that reminds me, I'm about to hit rattlesnake land.  There are some here in Payson but it is rare I find them.  I expect it to be more common in Cottonwood.

I move Friday.  Be looking for some biking on my calendar then then on in.  Can't wait

2013-06-11 10:15 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
...at home in The ATL
Neil- that is a really tidy bottle set-up behind the seat - very nice work. Chris, being on the receiving end of bottle ejections from rear carriers several times during races (and every time as I came around the guys apologized profusely and said they had NEVER had that happen before...) I would recommend you put your second nutrition bottle there and really cinch it in tight like Neil suggests and keep the course provided bottles up front - in my experience anyway they never fit very tight and rattle around quite a bit. Using your bottles, you know they will stay put on the rear. Besides, it is easier to access the bottles up front and the rear bottle you only have to swap once when your other special nutrition bottle is empty.
2013-06-11 10:39 AM

Originally posted by axteraaJust signed up for Miami 70.3 in October.  My wife and I decided to do a race + cruise.  She is running a half marathon here Oct 20th, we'll fly to Miami a few days later, I'll do the 70.3 and then we jump on a 4 day Bahamas cruise the next day.
See you there.

Wow...that may be an interesting showdown if you guys are in the same wave.
2013-06-11 11:38 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by tri808
See you there.

If by "showdown" you mean Chris chases Arend on the swim, on the bike and on the run, then yeah

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-11 11:39 AM
2013-06-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Northern IL

See you there.

Oh it is on now! Cool

2013-06-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Short race report from the weekend.   This is my first full season as a non-clyde, and I really wanted to get on the podium as this is a swimmer's race as the swim is relatively long.  Last year I won clydes but would have been on the AG podium, but it all depends on who shows up.  This year I was 7/32 AG, 44/578 OA.   Not bad for an ex clyde mixing it up with the skinny guys (the top two of whom were ex ITU and/or pros).  My AG is tough too, in every other AG I would have been 5th or higher. 

This race, though short, is pretty cool because it's like three time trials back to back to back

Friend that's been out of tris for a few years in my AG raced this year.  We are similar speeds on the swim (we did a 10K swim with surf exits/entries and we came out of every leg together).  He is a spin instructor and said his strength is the bike teaching 8 classes a week....  So this was the rabbit (every race needs a rabbit)

Swim - .5 mile, 14:21, 5/32, 43/578.   Basically the same time as last year.  AG/OA standings are skewed as there was a bunch of ITU juniors that smoked the swim.  Beat my AG friend by :09

Bike - 6 miles, 16:04, 3/32, 14/578.  This was my cherry on top.  First time I've ever done better AG on the bike over the swim.  Wanted to break 16, but last year went 17:38 so this was big.  NP 289.  And, beat my AG friend by :29 

Run - 2 miles 15:46.  11/32, 119/578.  Man, if I could run like the guys I am swimming and biking with...  My AG friend ran a 13 something.  We exited T2 together and I watched him run away.  Still, fastest run average I've ever put down, so it's getting better.   My friend also beat me in T1 by :30, tied in T2.  Really need to improve those in short races

In my defense, I rode 50 miles Saturday with 4100 feet of climbing, so I wasn't exactly fresh going in, and about an hour after the race ran a bit over 5 miles, so perhaps I had something left in the tank.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-11 12:19 PM

2013-06-11 12:23 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

See you there.

If by "showdown" you mean Chris chases Arend on the swim, on the bike and on the run, then yeah

They already have swim waves posted on the website but that might be for last year.  If they were the same, I would be starting 35 mins after you.  Save me a beer at the end...  

2013-06-11 12:25 PM

Originally posted by axteraa

See you there.

They already have swim waves posted on the website but that might be for last year.  If they were the same, I would be starting 35 mins after you.  Save me a beer at the end...  

I haven't yet broken the news to coach (although I said I was considering it).  Depending on (1) recovery from Canada and (2) the weather and temps, i'd like to take a stab at sub 5 here.  All the other HIMs I do are too hilly for that time right now

2013-06-11 12:33 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I haven't yet broken the news to coach (although I said I was considering it).  Depending on (1) recovery from Canada and (2) the weather and temps, i'd like to take a stab at sub 5 here.  All the other HIMs I do are too hilly for that time right now

I've heard Miami is a bit flat...

2013-06-11 1:25 PM

Elite
Ontario

Short race report from the weekend.   This is my first full season as a non-clyde, and I really wanted to get on the podium as this is a swimmer's race as the swim is relatively long.  Last year I won clydes but would have been on the AG podium, but it all depends on who shows up.  This year I was 7/32 AG, 44/578 OA.   Not bad for an ex clyde mixing it up with the skinny guys (the top two of whom were ex ITU and/or pros).  My AG is tough too, in every other AG I would have been 5th or higher. 

This race, though short, is pretty cool because it's like three time trials back to back to back

Friend that's been out of tris for a few years in my AG raced this year.  We are similar speeds on the swim (we did a 10K swim with surf exits/entries and we came out of every leg together).  He is a spin instructor and said his strength is the bike teaching 8 classes a week....  So this was the rabbit (every race needs a rabbit)

Swim - .5 mile, 14:21, 5/32, 43/578.   Basically the same time as last year.  AG/OA standings are skewed as there was a bunch of ITU juniors that smoked the swim.  Beat my AG friend by :09

Bike - 6 miles, 16:04, 3/32, 14/578.  This was my cherry on top.  First time I've ever done better AG on the bike over the swim.  Wanted to break 16, but last year went 17:38 so this was big.  NP 289.  And, beat my AG friend by :29 

Run - 2 miles 15:46.  11/32, 119/578.  Man, if I could run like the guys I am swimming and biking with...  My AG friend ran a 13 something.  We exited T2 together and I watched him run away.  Still, fastest run average I've ever put down, so it's getting better.   My friend also beat me in T1 by :30, tied in T2.  Really need to improve those in short races

In my defense, I rode 50 miles Saturday with 4100 feet of climbing, so I wasn't exactly fresh going in, and about an hour after the race ran a bit over 5 miles, so perhaps I had something left in the tank.

Nice race Chris. I empathisize with you - if I could only swim....The beauty with running, is you just keep doing it, stay consistent (and healthy), and you'll continue to see improvements. I can't say the same for swimming.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.