BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-19 10:49 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by IronOx

Dear viral pharyngitis:

Eff off.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Illnesses suck during training.  Heal up fast Kirsten.

I got food poisoning from a meal Saturday night.  Luckily, I got my run in Sunday morning before it hit me like a ton of bricks.  My intestines were cramping all day and night.  Just about went to the hospital at about three in the morning.  Starting to feel better this evening.

2015-01-19 10:54 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by fortissimo

Just had an incredible opportunity fall in my lap.  I was talking to a guy on the bus who turns out to be a former pro cyclist.  He has an all-carbon road bike in my size with ~200 mi. on it that he's willing to sell--with a trainer--for $600!!!!!  I know I just got Red this summer, but I don't think I can pass up this opportunity.  I want to at least give it a test ride.  Sometimes it pays to talk to strangers!

That's a super sweet deal!! Maybe I should ride something other than a school bus for once so I can talk to strangers...

Robin, I was on the 15L.  You can all kinds of interesting conversations on that route!  For those of you not here in Denver, that's a line that's well-known for having lots of intoxicated, obviously mentally ill, and/or homeless folks on it.  Those people always have interesting things to say.  I don't say that in a derogatory way; it's just that they often have perspectives I hadn't considered, and yes, are sometimes very obnoxious about making those perspectives known.

In this case, the guy wasn'tdidn't seem like any of those.  He's actually a documentary film maker and seems on the up-and-up.  I sent him an email.  I'll keep you posted about what happens.  I might just have a new submission for the bike gallery soon!!!

Adjusted that a little  

Congrats on the possible new addition.

2015-01-19 11:01 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master

Originally posted by kgore

It is now official: I am a Sponsered athlete for Team Sunrype! Which means I get free tri kit! Woohoo!! (awesome, since my stuff has seen much better days and I am too poor to get the really good stuff! AND FREE FRUIT SNACKS! ok, I have to distribute most of it, but I will happily partake too--fruit strips, fruit and grain bars--all gluten and nut free, I can totally do that! (unless the husband eats them all first.) I am waiting for details before I spread the word on FB, but I am SUPER  excited---and now have MORE motivation to train!

Very cool! And the tri kit is hot (yes, I looked it up. bright and sunny )

2015-01-19 11:13 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Nancy- hope Louie has a good week on those meds and you get some long-term answers fairly soon.

Kirsten and Steve- BLECH!

2015-01-20 3:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by glfprncs
Originally posted by glfprncs It appears today's morning run has to be put on the back burner. My middle boy, Louie, woke us up at 3:30 in a lot of pain. Even though he's 11, being that he has 4 legs, it's hard for him to tell us where the pain is located. I'm thinking it's something spinal based on the way he's moving and when he yipes in pain, but here's hoping for something a little less sinister doggy disc issues.
Back from the vet...lots of pain in the thoracic spine area, so without venturing into more diagnostics yet, we're going under the assumption that the cool weather is aggravating some spinal arthritis or he's got a bit of a bulging disc. For now, my Louie Bear is all wigged out on Rimadyl, and is happily and comfortably sleeping. Will keep him on the pain meds/anti inflams for a week and go from there. Of course, his 2 brothers are a bit peeved that our exciting afternoon of excitement at the park has been postponed until middle bro is on the mend. I don't know how those of you with 2-legged kids do it. It's heartbreaking when they're not feeling good.

Hope Louie heals up soon!  You might consider PT or chiropractic if his symptoms continue. (Yes, they really do do canine chiropractic.  We've taken several of our dogs and they've gotten some pretty good relief.)

We have a lady do Bowen Therapy on our dogs regularly. In the past we have had a vet tell us that our old girl had ruptured her cruciate and needed surgery at a cost of $3,000+ It turned out she had a pinched nerve in her back. It saved our girl major pain and unnecessary surgery and recovery, and us a large amount of money.
2015-01-20 3:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Just a fly by hello....

HELLO

{melonpresses} to all

Edited by SteveyD 2015-01-20 3:28 AM

2015-01-20 8:33 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pennsylvania

Dear viral pharyngitis:

Eff off.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Yeah, Kirsten, tell that viral pharyngitis what you think and get better soon!

2015-01-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by SteveyD Just a fly by hello.... HELLO {melonpresses} to all

Hi Steeeeeveeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!  (that's how it would sound if you were flying by)

2015-01-20 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Went to Saguaro National Park today. Aptly named! Not sure I've ever seen so many of them in one area. Literally, a forest of cacti...minus any shade. Whew! It was really, really warm. I was pouring water into and over the kids to keep them cooled. We hiked up a river bed and climbed dry waterfalls. Ok, the kids wanted to climb everything.

Saguaros can live 200 years, but they grow very slowly. This baby (pic) I found was only 1-2" tall, which makes it around 10 years old.

Very cool - all three pics!

Showed the Better Half and the Kids the saguaro pic.  Imagine if we grew that slowly... the kids would be in the house until they're 50!

Of course, that might happen anyway...  

Matt

2015-01-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by SteveyD Just a fly by hello.... HELLO {melonpresses} to all

Hi Steeeeeveeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!  (that's how it would sound if you were flying by)

LOL!

(and hey Senior D)

Matt

2015-01-20 9:02 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

During the camp my cycling team finally got around to making a team photo.  I'm 4th from the right in the front row.  Looking forward to my first road race!

2015-01-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Free to a good home:

• Cateye Mity 8 head unit.  Needs batteries.
  • Cateye Strada wireless head unit
  • Poolmate Swimovate watch, needs batteries (must be sent back to manufacturer for replacement?)
  • Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor (scratched) TAKEN
  • Garmin footpod (the old, large one)

If you want any of these, please PM me by Friday the 23rd.

What's up with the fire sale, are you cleaning out a bunch of equipment to make room for newer stuff????

Cleaning the office and I had a pile of electronics (tri related, general cables, 3.5" disks, manuals for things that are long gone, coax ethernet adapters, etc.

2015-01-20 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just had an incredible opportunity fall in my lap.  I was talking to a guy on the bus who turns out to be a former pro cyclist.  He has an all-carbon road bike in my size with ~200 mi. on it that he's willing to sell--with a trainer--for $600!!!!!  I know I just got Red this summer, but I don't think I can pass up this opportunity.  I want to at least give it a test ride.  Sometimes it pays to talk to strangers!

Holy cow!  Let us know how it goes!  I'm so excited for you!

2015-01-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Crazy-good deal!

that's great - maybe I should start taking the bus.

LOL!

2015-01-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

During the camp my cycling team finally got around to making a team photo.  I'm 4th from the right in the front row.  Looking forward to my first road race!

Nice picture!

From the hair, I assume this was taken before helmets were involved, or are you like that Olympic skeleton racer about your hair?

2015-01-20 9:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmkizer

During the camp my cycling team finally got around to making a team photo.  I'm 4th from the right in the front row.  Looking forward to my first road race 

Nice picture!

From the hair, I assume this was taken before helmets were involved, or are you like that Olympic skeleton racer about your hair?

Ha!  Definitely not particular about my hair.  This was before our long ride.

2015-01-20 11:37 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Dear viral pharyngitis:

Eff off.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Illnesses suck during training.  Heal up fast Kirsten.

I got food poisoning from a meal Saturday night.  Luckily, I got my run in Sunday morning before it hit me like a ton of bricks.  My intestines were cramping all day and night.  Just about went to the hospital at about three in the morning.  Starting to feel better this evening.

Ohh no, feel better guys!

2015-01-20 11:40 AM

User image

Seattle

Oh wow, I can't really feel half of my body and the other half hurts like a beeeeooooo...

I can't even hold a beer without my hand shaking!

I rock climbed until I literally could not grip the holds any longer, ran that trail race and then summit-ed a local mountain on my splitboard this weekend. Exhausted!

This is my buddy, on the way up yesterday:

Here is the race report

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-20 11:41 AM
2015-01-20 12:00 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Went to Saguaro National Park today. Aptly named! Not sure I've ever seen so many of them in one area. Literally, a forest of cacti...minus any shade. Whew! It was really, really warm. I was pouring water into and over the kids to keep them cooled. We hiked up a river bed and climbed dry waterfalls. Ok, the kids wanted to climb everything.

Saguaros can live 200 years, but they grow very slowly. This baby (pic) I found was only 1-2" tall, which makes it around 10 years old.

Rad pics!

Ahhh your desert is so different from ours.

I can't wait to do some exploration in an area like this.

My sis is having her bday in Vegas (which I HATE) but I think I am going to capitalize on an opportunity to explore red rock 

2015-01-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Oh wow, I can't really feel half of my body and the other half hurts like a beeeeooooo...

I rock climbed until I literally could not grip the holds any longer, ran that trail race and then summit-ed a local mountain on my splitboard this weekend. Exhausted!

Here is the race report

That trail looks idyllic.  So peaceful and beautiful.  What a full, rich weekend you had.

After seeing some of the pictures of the Mega Fat trail I'm kind of glad I didn't make it.  That looked brutal.  Congrats though on another great race.

2015-01-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Here is the race report

That trail looks idyllic.  So peaceful and beautiful.  What a full, rich weekend you had.

After seeing some of the pictures of the Mega Fat trail I'm kind of glad I didn't make it.  That looked brutal.  Congrats though on another great race.

Idyllic...for my friend. I was seriously lacking wax on my board and the descent (MAN! ME and descents!!!) was harder than going up. I can't say I have ever been on a hill with my board pointed downward and NOT MOVED AN INCH. I accepted the challenge to my patience, though, and breathed deep and focused on the beauty around me

Yes the Mega Trail was insane. Particularly in the out and back portion coming back after 300 people had run through and it had rained for 2+ hours. It was a blast though. I LOVE the mental challenge a course like that gives you. No zoning out or you will be on your fat azz in no time. 

2015-01-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I had a great weekend of cycling.  Did a gravel ride Friday, long ride with the team working on drills along the way, and then we did some Mountain Biking on the trails, since we couldn't on Friday.  I've never done the expert loop of our local trail, so it was cool learning from the more experienced guys with how to tackle some of the obstacles.  

This week will be a recovery week before I begin the Tour of Sufferlandria.

I'm training almost up to it...I think I need it. 

Today was a mid-morning almost 2 hour trainer ride with almost an hour at sweet spot.  I'm PR'ing the 5, 10, and 20 seconds sprints almost every time out...real great for triathlete/time trialist, huh?  :-/

So on the long trainer rides like 2+ hours what pace/RPE are you generally riding these?  Sounds like you were doing multiple paces or was that 30 wu, hour main, 30 cd?  If you are just doing a straight 2-3 hour ride is this just the same RPE you would ride on the road?  I generally can't stand more than about 90 minutes but maybe I am riding them too hard.

2015-01-20 12:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Here is the race report

Wow!  And you can't even hold a beer.  Clearly an epic weekend.

2015-01-20 12:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Here is the race report

Salty, you do the coolest stuff!  I just Googled 'splitboard', what an ingenious idea!  Your buddy is wearing skate skis, though, maybe?  You are making me Jones for a winter adventure!  I'm off to read the RR...

2015-01-20 1:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Here is the race report

Salty, you do the coolest stuff!  I just Googled 'splitboard', what an ingenious idea!  Your buddy is wearing skate skis, though, maybe?  You are making me Jones for a winter adventure!  I'm off to read the RR...

Yes! That is correct. He's got skate skis which he was happily doing laps around me on

But yeah, splitboards are amazing. They solve my long time dilemma with lift ticket pricing, long lift lines and quite frankly a lack of real exercise when spending the day at the resort. They are a bit cumbersome, but most of that is just learning curve. I am getting there.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-20 1:09 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55461 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.