BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-17 1:54 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by marysia83 How is everyone's April challenge going? I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate! Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened... Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?

If I write my memoirs, it will have a chapter titled "My Love of all Things Breakfast". Of course, there will probably be other chapters about lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks, etc.

My April challenge has been a challenge to say the least. I have to get everything caught up in the sheets, but this time around I have NOT been too motivated.

Lately I've been doing lunch for breakfast alot with the mainstay being a bowl of turkey chili.
My April challenge was temporarily derailed over the past week with my 17 year old son being in the hospital for 5 nights and the accompanying stress & schedule disruption leading to a poor diet. Thankfully, he was discharged yesterday and is doing well. So now it's time to get back on track! Going to make a big pot of turkey chili tonight!

2019-04-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Sorry to hear about your son, Karl. Sounds really stressful and glad to hear that things are better! 

2019-04-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Time is definitely in SLOW motion here. In fact, it seems like a very painful edition of "Groundhog Day"! Not just arm and lack of an even approximate timetable for things--I get told 3, 6, 12 months...I think no one really knows. It just "depends" and I don't think the doctor or PT are all that familiar with what triathlon training and racing entails. It's not just being able to swim/bike/run but things like getting wetsuit on/off, mounting and dismounting the bike safely, early morning starts, contact on the swim, cold water/weather that I can see might be the bigger issues even if I can get to a point where I'm able to do swim/bike/run training with little discomfort most of the time.

There's job and general life limbo as well. I'd hoped to do some volunteering or coaching this spring but just physically not up to it at this point much of the time; too hard to predict how I'll be feeling day to day or even hour to hour. I hope that if I am offered a job I'll feel physically far enough along at that point to be comfortable with committing to it--right now, I wouldn't.

Entering a race several months out for motivation just isn't an option right now. Not entering any multi-sport events at this point as I can't envision being able to complete one safely and without extreme discomfort and/or humiliation (i.e. having to be rescued on the swim, getting stuck in my wetsuit) this summer. And there's too much uncertainty in the fall about where we'll be living, how recovered I'll be physically, if/when I'll get the hardware removed (which entails another several weeks of activity restrictions and then the need to rebuild swim/run fitness yet again after that). Basically I think if things go well I am probably looking at fall/winter for run events and next year for tri. Ugh.
2019-04-17 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by marysia83 How is everyone's April challenge going? I have to admit I am sooo happy with eating breakfast every morning.... This is my "eating" goal, and from the challenge I actually made it our family routine. As a single working parent I live with lots of guilt that I do not spend enough time with my kids, and those morning breakfast together are great little gatherings, that we all appreciate! Fun fact, the biggest reason I never had breakfast before was becuase we were constantly late, and our mornings were in such a rush, there was no way I would fit a meal prep and eating. Waking up earlier did not work, because.... I like to sleep up to the very last minute... Surprisingly, I still wake up at the exactly same time, yet, am able to prepare a breakfast, eat with the kids, and we are leaving the house earlier than before, nobody is late... No idea how this happened... Have you ever struggled with breakfast routines? Have you find find eating breakfast helpful in fueling your day?

If I write my memoirs, it will have a chapter titled "My Love of all Things Breakfast". Of course, there will probably be other chapters about lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks, etc.

My April challenge has been a challenge to say the least. I have to get everything caught up in the sheets, but this time around I have NOT been too motivated.

I NEVER miss breakfast. It was a rule in our house when we were kids that we weren't allowed out the door until we had eaten and it has remained with me. We did a lot of sport as kids and breakfast was my mums way of making sure we ate at least once a day. I'm a cereal girl though cause I don't like eggs and I no longer eat bread.

My April challenge is going really badly. But yesterday I did manage to eat right so day one for the month is in the bag on that front.
2019-04-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th?

Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door.

Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools.

So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up.

Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes.

Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding.

At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today.

The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

2019-04-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
OMG. Questioning my sanity applying for jobs stateside....but at this point really don't have other options. We actually did have to do the controlled release thing a few times overseas due to political situations that put the kids at risk if they took buses home through areas with unrest. And one closure when the whole school (in China) got shut down mid-day due to a quarantine (SARS case in the family of a staff member in a program we shared part of our campus with). Unclaimed kids after school events, sadly, are probably just as common in Asia. Excuses have ranged from the usual job/meeting/phone off to getting nails done or shopping to watching soccer to (on one occasion, admitted seemingly without shame) being too drunk. But never any gun threats.

Hope the rest of your week is not nearly as exciting!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-17 8:34 PM

2019-04-18 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have never been a breakfast fan. Basically am force-feeding myself unless I have been up for a while and/or done a workout. When I lived in Saigon, this worked out well, as I generally needed to do running in the morning (due to weather and traffic) and usually did trainer workouts then as well. I would get up very early (between 4:15 and 5), gag down something minimal like a granola bar and half a cup of coffee (I can't manage any kind of intensity on an empty stomach without getting nauseous), do my workout, then have something more substantial afterwards, often on my way to school or even at my desk before the kids came in. Generally unless someone else was calling the breakfast shots (like when Mom was there) that would be toast with peanut butter and a latte, or occasionally a Vietnamese banh mi (breakfast baguette) with a fried egg from a shop down the street. Maybe some fruit and more coffee at morning break when the kids had their own snacks.

The foods I can tolerate eating, smelling, or even thinking about before ten in the morning are basically limited to cereal, toast, juice, scrambled eggs, and coffee. Maybe add pho (rice noodles) with no meat or a kind of breakfast munchie (don't know name in English--sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with peanuts, wrapped up in a leaf and steamed) in SE Asia. Without a morning workout, anything before about 9 AM tends to be truly force-feeding. Unfortunately I have to do that as when I'm teaching my job is pretty energy-intensive in the mornings and lunch can be quite rushed.

I can't eat before a morning workout but I do have breakfast as soon as I get out of the shower. I've been on an overnight oats kick for a while now so I pull that out of the fridge and have a banana with it and get some coffee to drink at work. I generally have a snack (I'm on almonds now) at about 10 in the morning.

I prep the overnight oats in a mason jar -- I do them in pairs: 1/2 apple, chopped. Microwave for 1:10 while chopping the other half of the apple for the other jar. Top with 1/2 cup old fashion oats, cinnamon, sweetener (I use stevia), a pinch of salt. Let cook for a few minutes. Top with 1/2 cup milk. Stir. Top with Greek yogurt and a handful of frozen berries. Put the lids on and pop them in the fridge.

P.S. Zoe begs for the yogurt. I get the yogurt in the large container and when it is empty, I let her have the container. She gives herself "yogurt face."

yogurt face ??????
2019-04-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

Sorry to hear about your son, Karl. Sounds really stressful and glad to hear that things are better! 

I am glad that our son is better. Scary stuff.
2019-04-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have never been a breakfast fan. Basically am force-feeding myself unless I have been up for a while and/or done a workout. When I lived in Saigon, this worked out well, as I generally needed to do running in the morning (due to weather and traffic) and usually did trainer workouts then as well. I would get up very early (between 4:15 and 5), gag down something minimal like a granola bar and half a cup of coffee (I can't manage any kind of intensity on an empty stomach without getting nauseous), do my workout, then have something more substantial afterwards, often on my way to school or even at my desk before the kids came in. Generally unless someone else was calling the breakfast shots (like when Mom was there) that would be toast with peanut butter and a latte, or occasionally a Vietnamese banh mi (breakfast baguette) with a fried egg from a shop down the street. Maybe some fruit and more coffee at morning break when the kids had their own snacks.

The foods I can tolerate eating, smelling, or even thinking about before ten in the morning are basically limited to cereal, toast, juice, scrambled eggs, and coffee. Maybe add pho (rice noodles) with no meat or a kind of breakfast munchie (don't know name in English--sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with peanuts, wrapped up in a leaf and steamed) in SE Asia. Without a morning workout, anything before about 9 AM tends to be truly force-feeding. Unfortunately I have to do that as when I'm teaching my job is pretty energy-intensive in the mornings and lunch can be quite rushed.

I can't eat before a morning workout but I do have breakfast as soon as I get out of the shower. I've been on an overnight oats kick for a while now so I pull that out of the fridge and have a banana with it and get some coffee to drink at work. I generally have a snack (I'm on almonds now) at about 10 in the morning.

I prep the overnight oats in a mason jar -- I do them in pairs: 1/2 apple, chopped. Microwave for 1:10 while chopping the other half of the apple for the other jar. Top with 1/2 cup old fashion oats, cinnamon, sweetener (I use stevia), a pinch of salt. Let cook for a few minutes. Top with 1/2 cup milk. Stir. Top with Greek yogurt and a handful of frozen berries. Put the lids on and pop them in the fridge.

P.S. Zoe begs for the yogurt. I get the yogurt in the large container and when it is empty, I let her have the container. She gives herself "yogurt face."

yogurt face ??????
the question marks were supposed to be smiley faces.
2019-04-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, I am flummoxed as to how these things are happening. I hope that you are as ok as you can possibly be.

2019-04-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

LOVE overnight oats. I do them differently though - just put oats, vanilla almond milk, chia seeds and a squirt of maple syrup in the mason jar (no cooking). Shake and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds make the liquid a thick, pudding-like consistency by morning. Sometimes I top with peanut butter or fruit. This is my long-ride go-to breakfast - insanely delish and filling!

I'm generally on the low protein side so I add the yogurt in. Overnight oats are super easy and definitely help to streamline the morning.

2019-04-18 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th? Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door. Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools. So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up. Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes. Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding. At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today. The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

Oh my gosh! WHAT A WEEK!

2019-04-18 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3 Lately I've been doing lunch for breakfast alot with the mainstay being a bowl of turkey chili. My April challenge was temporarily derailed over the past week with my 17 year old son being in the hospital for 5 nights and the accompanying stress & schedule disruption leading to a poor diet. Thankfully, he was discharged yesterday and is doing well. So now it's time to get back on track! Going to make a big pot of turkey chili tonight!

I'm sorry to hear about your son.

2019-04-18 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yogurt face ??????

That's when your golden retriever shoves her face in a yogurt container and ends up with yogurt bits on her face. She claims that it makes her fur soft and silky.  I'm skeptical.

2019-04-18 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th? Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door. Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools. So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up. Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes. Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding. At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today. The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

Thank goodness no one but the suspect was injured! What a couple of days though!!

2019-04-18 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yogurt face ??????
the question marks were supposed to be smiley faces.

Yeah, BT needs to get on the emoji bandwagon.

2019-04-18 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Lately I've been doing lunch for breakfast alot with the mainstay being a bowl of turkey chili. My April challenge was temporarily derailed over the past week with my 17 year old son being in the hospital for 5 nights and the accompanying stress & schedule disruption leading to a poor diet. Thankfully, he was discharged yesterday and is doing well. So now it's time to get back on track! Going to make a big pot of turkey chili tonight!

I'm glad your son is out of the hospital and hope he continues to be ok! Enjoy that turkey chili

2019-04-18 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

LOVE overnight oats. I do them differently though - just put oats, vanilla almond milk, chia seeds and a squirt of maple syrup in the mason jar (no cooking). Shake and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds make the liquid a thick, pudding-like consistency by morning. Sometimes I top with peanut butter or fruit. This is my long-ride go-to breakfast - insanely delish and filling!

I'm generally on the low protein side so I add the yogurt in. Overnight oats are super easy and definitely help to streamline the morning.

I used to do overnight oats until i found i was only doing them b/c i liked the version with chocolate chips and decided a breakfast of chocolate was probably not my best choice!!

2019-04-18 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Wow, I am flummoxed as to how these things are happening. I hope that you are as ok as you can possibly be.

Flummoxed here, too. Scary, scary stuff!

2019-04-18 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

yogurt face ??????

That's when your golden retriever shoves her face in a yogurt container and ends up with yogurt bits on her face. She claims that it makes her fur soft and silky.  I'm skeptical.

Raven sez tht Zoe is exactly correct!

2019-04-18 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like a new North American Ironman is coming next year

The four host city finalists are:

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

https://whotv.com/2019/04/18/des-moines-chosen-as-finalist-for-new-ironman-triathlon/?fbclid=IwAR2IFYpKfBSMjDF31jdfp_pp1JyXlEFGDVO-Z_ZQNKkffpJN_Fl1rVDbvlE

2019-04-18 3:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

https://whotv.com/2019/04/18/des-moines-chosen-as-finalist-for-new-ironman-triathlon/?fbclid=IwAR2IFYpKfBSMjDF31jdfp_pp1JyXlEFGDVO-Z_ZQNKkffpJN_Fl1rVDbvlE

Oooh interesting. Fayetteville is such a beautiful area of the country. I question if that city could support one though. It's by far the smallest of those four cities, looks like around 85K population. Thinking about hotels and family entertainment, that would be iffy.

2019-04-19 9:21 AM

User image

Expert

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

I have a cousin who lives in Tulsa. She is hoping they get picked, so I will come there to race. When did Ironman become a family obligation. HaHa.
2019-04-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

I have a cousin who lives in Tulsa. She is hoping they get picked, so I will come there to race. When did Ironman become a family obligation. HaHa.

The cynic in me says that Tulsa will be the choice -- after all, Redman is 90 minutes away :-/

Kevin said something about mtb and Fayetteville, AR...

2019-04-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

I think I would have the same issue in Des Moines.

I'm actually rooting for Memphis, mostly because it is on my short list for possible moving locations...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107