BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-05-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4124687

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
Wow Elaine...glad you're okay.

2012-05-20 6:29 PM

User image

Had a pretty good race today.  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but in hindsight, I was probably hoping for too much.

Official results aren't up yet, but just a summary of the RR to follow.

Swam ok...about a minute faster than last year, in 28:45ish

Good T1

Bike...had a horrible time getting my feet in my shoes, but then proceeded to do my thing.  Couldn't hold the 250 watts I was hoping for...closer to 233 I think.  Still had a good ride though...I think top 15 OA bike split.

Good T2

Run...legs felt like lead.  I was moving faster than I thought...mostly sub 8 miles, but it felt like I was running 10:30's.  Mentally couldn't get myself to dig deep, but still finished sub 2:20.  I think 2:19:53 was my time.  Good enough for 59th OA and 6th in my AG.

The scary part was after the race, when I noticed a sharp pain in my left shoulder.  I noticed it on the run, when I couldn't grap cups of water with my left hand, but it didn't bother me while running.  But after the race, I noticed I couldn't lift my left arm at all.  Not even with my right arm supporting it.  Went to medical, they did some tests on grip strength, and making sure there was no numbnes, and they said it's likely just inflammation.  Not sure from what though as I never jolted it or had anything like this before.  They wrapped me up like a baseball pitcher with ice and told me to see my doctor for an xray if things did not subside.

Thankfully though, the ice helped a lot.  Regained a lot of range of motion, but with some pain.  Will have to monitor it, but I'm not too worried.  I was really worried about my HIM in 2 weeks for a little while though.

2012-05-20 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4219301

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-20 5:58 PM

Well... I crashed.

I was going ~17mph and hit a bump. Manged to bend my rim and snap two spokes. Lost controls when my rear wheel just stopped. Managed to slow down a bit before launching myself over the handlebars. I was with friends who took good care of me. Cracked my helmet, but no signs of a concussion. Thought I'd just need to fix the wheel until I saw this:

It's a nice dent in my top tube. Stopped by a Fuji dealer who said while I probably could ride it, it wasn't a good idea. So, I'm bike-less for now. Waiting on words from the shop about Fuji's crash replacement policy, but the bike is 10 years old, and I'm not thinking it's going to be anything spectacular.

Soreness is setting in. 

I'm glad I'm ok, but I'm bummed. Anyone got a small bike or frame laying around that they're not using?

WOW Elaine so glad you are OK! 

Launching over the handle bars is not fun.  Well maybe just that sudden stop sucks.

Definitely listen to the Fuji rep about the frame.  That is a aluminum frame correct?  It is probable thin wall and may have cracks you can’t see.  10 years is a good run tho for a bike, going to need a helmet as well. 

Edited by tasr 2012-05-20 8:27 PM
2012-05-20 8:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4219408

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
tri808 - 2012-05-20 7:29 PM

Had a pretty good race today.  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but in hindsight, I was probably hoping for too much.

Official results aren't up yet, but just a summary of the RR to follow.

Swam ok...about a minute faster than last year, in 28:45ish

Good T1

Bike...had a horrible time getting my feet in my shoes, but then proceeded to do my thing.  Couldn't hold the 250 watts I was hoping for...closer to 233 I think.  Still had a good ride though...I think top 15 OA bike split.

Good T2

Run...legs felt like lead.  I was moving faster than I thought...mostly sub 8 miles, but it felt like I was running 10:30's.  Mentally couldn't get myself to dig deep, but still finished sub 2:20.  I think 2:19:53 was my time.  Good enough for 59th OA and 6th in my AG.

The scary part was after the race, when I noticed a sharp pain in my left shoulder.  I noticed it on the run, when I couldn't grap cups of water with my left hand, but it didn't bother me while running.  But after the race, I noticed I couldn't lift my left arm at all.  Not even with my right arm supporting it.  Went to medical, they did some tests on grip strength, and making sure there was no numbnes, and they said it's likely just inflammation.  Not sure from what though as I never jolted it or had anything like this before.  They wrapped me up like a baseball pitcher with ice and told me to see my doctor for an xray if things did not subside.

Thankfully though, the ice helped a lot.  Regained a lot of range of motion, but with some pain.  Will have to monitor it, but I'm not too worried.  I was really worried about my HIM in 2 weeks for a little while though.

Nice Job today Jason!

I started the bulk of my Triathlon career in Hawaii 1980's.  While the Honolulu Tri was not in existence then there were plenty of others.  The Tinman was one of my favorite races.  Actually my first Tri was in Korea with a pool swim. 
2012-05-20 11:57 PM

2012-05-21 6:55 AM

2012-05-21 8:34 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning team!

It's a holiday here so I am out on our back patio with the dog - I am enjoying my homemade latte before it gets too hot out.

I am not happy with my training last week but I know the only thing to do is move on.  I will not cram in missed training sessions, I will not cram in missed training sessions.  

my long ride yesterday scared me.  From an overall stats point of view it was one of my best rides yet but on the ground it had to be among the worst.  The first half was amazing - we flew in to a town on a lake with a good stop for fluid top up.  I had a popsicle and we went on our way.  Not even a half hour later my legs had nothing and my heartrate was spiking.  I stopped on a hill which I never do to compose myself but 20 minutes later I found myself doing the same thing.  DH gave me salt tab and convinced me to just keep going.  I felt better and since we were all in the middle of nowhere there was not much choice.  There's one last hill on the way back to the car and my thighs started to cramp which has also never happened to me! I was done... The ride was shorter than we wanted but it was a huge learning experience for me. 

Definitely have to get nutrition in order especially for hot days with so much sun.

2012-05-21 8:38 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh and weigh in this morning: 121 - going in the direction I like

Planning to do a vegetarian week with with this week being a recovery week on the  plan. Well, we're doing dinner with family tonight so I think that may be one non veg meal.

2012-05-21 8:53 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

well, what a weekend of training.

i ended up cleaning my house till about 11pm Friday, as per the wife. So that squashed the run friday.  Saturday i did 55 miles on the bike, 3 hours and change with about 250 calories in fluid, got home and went to run and almost passed out, started getting cold sweats. get a couple miles in and went home, ate and re-hydrated and felt better.

Sunday we did the rev3 preview, that was 56 miles of hell, followed by a 4 mile run which totally sucked.  The course preview says there is 2400 feet of elevation gain, most garmins i saw were in the 5k range. This is not a course set up for a 210lb dood, i don't care how many watts i put out.  The end 3 miles is basically all up hill, so you do not even get a rest fr the run.

Needless to say, i am HIGHLY concerned.  I was cramping at about mile 35, and continued to fight cramps till the end and then on the run.  I went through 4 bottles (800 cals) and about 500 calories of GU while riding, and was totally dehydrated when i was done. When i finished i took about 40 oz of fluid in and to start the run i could feel it sloshing and had some GI pain, after i absorbed the fluid it was better, but then the cramps set in, it was total hell.

So i got about 10 miles running and 115 miles biking with about 8000 feet of climbing.  i hurt like hell today, i am hoping the cramps were muscular based, since i was not exactly rested for the Sunday ride. I have been sleeping like crap and am on an antibiotic for the upper respiratory infection i am fighting.

As i said, i am highly concerned and am re-evaluating my goals for Rev3.

i also had some mechanical trouble on the bike, i used wheels that were not set up for the bike i was riding and could not use the 26 on the cassette, so i was stuck doing most of the climbs in the 24, i need to get an 11/27 or 28 and swap the standard crank off the TT bike to a compact.  i have some serious work to do in two weeks.

2012-05-21 8:54 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Elaine, i am glad you are mostly OK, Sorry to hear about the bike, that sucks!!!!

Jason, nice work on the race, sorry you did not hit the numbers you were looking for

Fred, glad to hear the run is getting better!!!

2012-05-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4220126

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hey Rudy, it really sounds like your are still sick. Most of what you describe says body fighting illness as opposed to body fighting fatigue or lack of fitness. Maybe Dr. Fred could opine.
2012-05-21 9:04 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Elaine: Thats rough.  Brings back memories of my crash a couple years ago.  I went over the bars as well and cracked my helmet in a couple spots.  Other than road rash was ok though.  You will want to get a new helmet.  Glad you are ok.

Jason: Really fast bike split!  Hope it is nothing serious with the arm.

I had a pretty good week of training although would have liked to ride longer on Saturday morning but I was on daddy daycare duty all weekend.  Supposed to be excellent weather all week.  I am planning my HIM race simulation this weekend.  Likely 2:45-3:00 ride with 5 mile brick run at race pace.  Also hoping to get a OWS at my parents lake. 

2012-05-21 9:17 AM

Pro

Jason - nice race!! I hope the arm is ok. I've definitely had some weird pains come and go without explanation, so hopefully, this one just disappears as randomly as it showed up!

Jen - good job on your ride. I'm sure you'll be able to manage the heat like a pro soon. That first HOT workout is usually the roughest. 

Rudy - it's a tough course. My team has been e-mailing around... our ongoing joke is "at least the swim is flat". I'll be there cheering you on after racing on Saturday!

Fred - awesome news on the achilles. I hope it continues to cooperate!

Ryan - have fun with the HIM race simulation! I still remember my first one, and thinking to myself "holy cow - I can do this!"

I've got a big, clunky Wal-Mart mountain bike helmet that I'll be using until my new one comes in. USAT Coaches get a pretty sweet discount at Rudy Project. Anyone ever use their helmets? Any recommendations? I'm planning on ordering today.

2012-05-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4220190

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-21 10:17 AM

Jason - nice race!! I hope the arm is ok. I've definitely had some weird pains come and go without explanation, so hopefully, this one just disappears as randomly as it showed up!

Jen - good job on your ride. I'm sure you'll be able to manage the heat like a pro soon. That first HOT workout is usually the roughest. 

Rudy - it's a tough course. My team has been e-mailing around... our ongoing joke is "at least the swim is flat". I'll be there cheering you on after racing on Saturday!

Fred - awesome news on the achilles. I hope it continues to cooperate!

Ryan - have fun with the HIM race simulation! I still remember my first one, and thinking to myself "holy cow - I can do this!"

I've got a big, clunky Wal-Mart mountain bike helmet that I'll be using until my new one comes in. USAT Coaches get a pretty sweet discount at Rudy Project. Anyone ever use their helmets? Any recommendations? I'm planning on ordering today.

Every helmet i have is Rudy, i love them all, from their super cheap to top of the line, i have ahd no issues with any.

If you need a helmet i have multiples, let me know, you can use one of mine if you want.  That may sound gross, but hey... ima sharer, lol!!!

2012-05-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4219301

Master
...at home in The ATL
Ugh, Elaine - that is really too bad, but number one thing is that it sounds as if you came through it in one piece. How are you feeling today?

2012-05-21 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4220126

Master
...at home in The ATL
Rudedog55 - 2012-05-21 9:53 AM

well, what a weekend of training.

i ended up cleaning my house till about 11pm Friday, as per the wife. So that squashed the run friday.  Saturday i did 55 miles on the bike, 3 hours and change with about 250 calories in fluid, got home and went to run and almost passed out, started getting cold sweats. get a couple miles in and went home, ate and re-hydrated and felt better.

Sunday we did the rev3 preview, that was 56 miles of hell, followed by a 4 mile run which totally sucked.  The course preview says there is 2400 feet of elevation gain, most garmins i saw were in the 5k range. This is not a course set up for a 210lb dood, i don't care how many watts i put out.  The end 3 miles is basically all up hill, so you do not even get a rest fr the run.

Needless to say, i am HIGHLY concerned.  I was cramping at about mile 35, and continued to fight cramps till the end and then on the run.  I went through 4 bottles (800 cals) and about 500 calories of GU while riding, and was totally dehydrated when i was done. When i finished i took about 40 oz of fluid in and to start the run i could feel it sloshing and had some GI pain, after i absorbed the fluid it was better, but then the cramps set in, it was total hell.

So i got about 10 miles running and 115 miles biking with about 8000 feet of climbing.  i hurt like hell today, i am hoping the cramps were muscular based, since i was not exactly rested for the Sunday ride. I have been sleeping like crap and am on an antibiotic for the upper respiratory infection i am fighting.

As i said, i am highly concerned and am re-evaluating my goals for Rev3.

i also had some mechanical trouble on the bike, i used wheels that were not set up for the bike i was riding and could not use the 26 on the cassette, so i was stuck doing most of the climbs in the 24, i need to get an 11/27 or 28 and swap the standard crank off the TT bike to a compact.  i have some serious work to do in two weeks.

Rudy, I'll say that is quite a weekend! I wouldn't think you have too much to be concerned about - there are so many things that jump out in your post that are contributing factors I got tired of highlighting them. Like Bryan says it sounds to me like you are still on the back-end of being sick, and then piled it on without much rest or hydration, both of which you need extra of when sick. I am a big fan of the compact crank for the range it gives you, but based on what I have read here about your bike strengths I don't think you need both a compact AND a 11-27; that seems to be over-kill to me. Don't worry or panic, you will also be well rested and tapered for Quassy. And FWIW, in my experience Honey Badgers don't have ANYTHING on Farm Mules when it comes to race day. You are going to be rock-solid - mark my words!

2012-05-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4219408

Master
...at home in The ATL
Jason, sub 2:20 sounds pretty good to me, even if you are not completely happy with the results. We're you recording HR as well, or just power? If so, did HR and power seem to be decoupled at all on the bike? Since I have switched back to long course training I too have found that I have lost a little of that mental HTFU that you need on the run in sprints and Olympics. I have found that a 3~4 week cycle of 400s & 800s bring that mental sharpness back, no need to run them wide open, just about a minute per mile faster than race pace.

how does the shoulder feel today - that sounds kinda freaky out of the blue like that...

2012-05-21 12:41 PM

Good news.  The arm seems like it's 95%.  Full range of motion with absolutely no pain, but it does seem a little tight/stiff.

I guess it was some form of severe inflammation...but it went away fairly quickly with some ice and a couple ibruprofen.  Was thinking about doing a light swim to test it out, but I think I'll wait till Wednesday just to be on the safe side.

Just really weird how it happened so suddenly.  I felt really comfortable on the swim and on my aero bars...so really not sure what triggered it.

2012-05-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4220076

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey Jen, there seems to be a lot of that going around these days - I think it is just that time of year when we begin making the transition from cooler dry temps to hotter, more humid days. There was about an hour on my ride this weekend in which I just did not want to eat or drink anything even though I knew I needed it. Just felt a little bit of that "warm bottle blah" that you get sometimes when you are in the sun for too long. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.
2012-05-21 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4220678

Pro

TankBoy - 2012-05-21 1:00 PM Ugh, Elaine - that is really too bad, but number one thing is that it sounds as if you came through it in one piece. How are you feeling today?

Stiff and sore. Getting a massage today. Just ordered myself a new helmet!

2012-05-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4219333

Master
...at home in The ATL
Fred - great to hear you seem to be making progress witht the Achilles. I had the same diagnosis (tendonosis) 7 years ago and fiddle-farted around with it for almost a year before I got serious about getting it fixed. That took it getting bad enough to where I became convinced that I simply would not be able to run ever again. I got a good diagnosis from a great sports podiatrist here in Atlanta. He prescribed DTM. I did one 1.5 hour treatment once per week for 4 weeks, then one every other week for 4 weeks, then went to once per month. I was running again after the second treatment, and pain-free after the 4th. It was not graston, but it did involve some tool manipulation and lots of work on both Achilles, calf, shins, hamstrings and quads. At no moment was it fun. The most surprising thing I learned from my doc was to stay away from NSAIDS when suffering from tendonosis. There is a lot of literature out there that shows NSAIDS to impede collagen production. It was this experience that led me to quit doing the Internet-self-diagnosis-and-remedy thing, and instead I now just go to see a sports medical professional as soon as something does not seem right. And I still do 1.5 hours of DTM at least once per month during the year, and at least every other week during race season - for most of my issues it is like magic elixyr.

Anyway, I encourage you to keep up witht the treatments - there is no reason IM cannot happen this year, and you may actually find this little forced break to allow you to come back faster and fresher than ever.

2012-05-21 3:06 PM

2012-05-21 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4220153

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

Elaine, sorry to hear about the crash Hope you recover quickly and it's always a same to hear about terminal damage to bikes.

Like Ryan, I'm considering doing a bit of a HIM sim on Saturday too. I was thinking maybe a 2-2:30hr ride with a 5mile or so run. Hopefully my new tyres will arrive before then to give me a chance to wear them in a bit (set of Pro race 3's for the equivalent of $58)

2012-05-21 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4220800

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108