BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-22 5:07 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by msteiner

Did Rubber Glove tonight for curiosity sake, and my FTP went up 22 Watts.  While I'm happy to see a positive result, with the Tour of Sufferlandria starting Saturday I have a decision to make...

Here is your straw. You know what to do.
I would totally sandbag it. :-)Then again, I just suffered through Hell Hath No Fury yesterday and I wasn't close to holding the 2nd and 3rd intervals anywhere near my FTP (which was last TR-tested two years ago).Split the difference maybe??

2015-01-22 6:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Ahhhh! Short word Short Word SHORT WORD!!! Reason #23 for not multitasking the dinner table as a Desk/workstation. Gravity. I managed to "trip" over the LAN cable and pull our Laptop off the table and Gravity pulled it onto the floor. It looked bad for a moment but then realized everything is working except the hinge is a little out of wack. After saving and closing everything I take a look. Small bend to some plastic and a few popped out tabs from their slots. A little work with a milti-tool and some duct tape and we are back in business (for now). It seems to be working but a full back up is now on the schedule of events for tomorrow and perhaps a bit of shopping as this lap top is plenty old at 7-8 years. Any suggestions on what to look for? Our history is with Dell but we have started a slow migration over to Apple products.

Just went from the little air-mac-book-thing to a surface 3.  Had it for about 3 months now.

Since making the migration back to the non-apple world after many years in Jobs-landia, I have not once opened my iPad nor felt like I needed a bigger computer.

Just went on a multi-day business trip - with a TON of presentations (over 35 meetings in 3 days) - and brought just the surface and an iPhone 6.  No iPad and no wifi puck.  Worked perfectly and a WHOLE lot fewer plugs and way less weight to lug around!

Only my recent experience, but I like this setup (although the mac air was/is a nice computer - we just use it at home now).

Matt

I have recently got a surface 3 for work as well and I love it. I use it all day at work in a docking station with a larger screen and keyboard attached. But when I have to bring work home or travel it is great just pick it up and go and everything is right there. It has amazing battery life and is lite and fits in my hand bag so now when I travel for work I whack the surface in my handbag and my carry on for clothes and I'm done. No need any more to carry my hand bag and computer bag and have to check my carry case because I have too many items. It's great for meetings too. I have had it for probably 4 months and haven't found a single thing about it that I don't like or get annoyed with.

All up my tablet, keyboard, docking station, keyboard and extended warranty cost me a touch under $2,000 (in Australia so I would expect it to be a fair bit less in the US). Which seems like a bit if are thinking tablet but is on a par with a decent Dell or Apple notebook, which is really the functionality you are getting with the added tablet convenience.

Windows 10 is due out by mid year I think and apparently direct from people who have tested it it is heaps better than windows 8 (which I haven't had a problem with) but when I got mine I was guaranteed that they would upgrade me for free. Which is good because it means that I can wait until version 3 or 4 is out and they have ironed out all of the glitches.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-01-22 6:25 AM
2015-01-22 6:27 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

The bikes are specced so similarly that I would get the one that had the better color scheme or matched my kit better.

???? But then you have a harder time justifying new kit! I'm so confused.

Nope - that just becomes fuel for another bike.

Which you will, clearly, need to match said kit.

Matt

I have to stop verbalising thoughts of a new bike cause every time I do something on our car dies. Today it was the alternator, so there goes my new bike for a while.
2015-01-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

The bikes are specced so similarly that I would get the one that had the better color scheme or matched my kit better.

What's the fastest color?

2015-01-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Ahhhh! Short word Short Word SHORT WORD!!! Reason #23 for not multitasking the dinner table as a Desk/workstation. Gravity. I managed to "trip" over the LAN cable and pull our Laptop off the table and Gravity pulled it onto the floor. It looked bad for a moment but then realized everything is working except the hinge is a little out of wack. After saving and closing everything I take a look. Small bend to some plastic and a few popped out tabs from their slots. A little work with a milti-tool and some duct tape and we are back in business (for now). It seems to be working but a full back up is now on the schedule of events for tomorrow and perhaps a bit of shopping as this lap top is plenty old at 7-8 years. Any suggestions on what to look for? Our history is with Dell but we have started a slow migration over to Apple products.

Just went from the little air-mac-book-thing to a surface 3.  Had it for about 3 months now.

Since making the migration back to the non-apple world after many years in Jobs-landia, I have not once opened my iPad nor felt like I needed a bigger computer.

Just went on a multi-day business trip - with a TON of presentations (over 35 meetings in 3 days) - and brought just the surface and an iPhone 6.  No iPad and no wifi puck.  Worked perfectly and a WHOLE lot fewer plugs and way less weight to lug around!

Only my recent experience, but I like this setup (although the mac air was/is a nice computer - we just use it at home now).

Matt

I have recently got a surface 3 for work as well and I love it. I use it all day at work in a docking station with a larger screen and keyboard attached. But when I have to bring work home or travel it is great just pick it up and go and everything is right there. It has amazing battery life and is lite and fits in my hand bag so now when I travel for work I whack the surface in my handbag and my carry on for clothes and I'm done. No need any more to carry my hand bag and computer bag and have to check my carry case because I have too many items. It's great for meetings too. I have had it for probably 4 months and haven't found a single thing about it that I don't like or get annoyed with. All up my tablet, keyboard, docking station, keyboard and extended warranty cost me a touch under $2,000 (in Australia so I would expect it to be a fair bit less in the US). Which seems like a bit if are thinking tablet but is on a par with a decent Dell or Apple notebook, which is really the functionality you are getting with the added tablet convenience. Windows 10 is due out by mid year I think and apparently direct from people who have tested it it is heaps better than windows 8 (which I haven't had a problem with) but when I got mine I was guaranteed that they would upgrade me for free. Which is good because it means that I can wait until version 3 or 4 is out and they have ironed out all of the glitches.

It's interesting that so many of you are enjoying the Surfaces.  (Chris, do you have one as well?).  I switched to Apple products (for computers, Android for phones) years ago.  The main things that I would have a hard time giving up is the pretty much seamless upgrade process and the ease of removing old programs that you no longer need.  I don't miss the Windows registry.  Does Windows 8/10 still have that?

2015-01-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Did Rubber Glove tonight for curiosity sake, and my FTP went up 22 Watts.  While I'm happy to see a positive result, with the Tour of Sufferlandria starting Saturday I have a decision to make...

I would totally sandbag it. :-)Then again, I just suffered through Hell Hath No Fury yesterday and I wasn't close to holding the 2nd and 3rd intervals anywhere near my FTP (which was last TR-tested two years ago).Split the difference maybe??

Set your FTP where you think it should be based off the info you have. Then do the workout(s) at an appropriate percent for what you want out of them. There is some nice data that can come from having FTP set properly, so don't get in the habit of fooling around with that.

2015-01-22 8:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Matt

I have recently got a surface 3 for work as well and I love it. I use it all day at work in a docking station with a larger screen and keyboard attached. But when I have to bring work home or travel it is great just pick it up and go and everything is right there. It has amazing battery life and is lite and fits in my hand bag so now when I travel for work I whack the surface in my handbag and my carry on for clothes and I'm done. No need any more to carry my hand bag and computer bag and have to check my carry case because I have too many items. It's great for meetings too. I have had it for probably 4 months and haven't found a single thing about it that I don't like or get annoyed with. All up my tablet, keyboard, docking station, keyboard and extended warranty cost me a touch under $2,000 (in Australia so I would expect it to be a fair bit less in the US). Which seems like a bit if are thinking tablet but is on a par with a decent Dell or Apple notebook, which is really the functionality you are getting with the added tablet convenience. Windows 10 is due out by mid year I think and apparently direct from people who have tested it it is heaps better than windows 8 (which I haven't had a problem with) but when I got mine I was guaranteed that they would upgrade me for free. Which is good because it means that I can wait until version 3 or 4 is out and they have ironed out all of the glitches.

It's interesting that so many of you are enjoying the Surfaces.  (Chris, do you have one as well?).  I switched to Apple products (for computers, Android for phones) years ago.  The main things that I would have a hard time giving up is the pretty much seamless upgrade process and the ease of removing old programs that you no longer need.  I don't miss the Windows registry.  Does Windows 8/10 still have that?

Sorry Janyne your questions are far to technical for me. I know how to turn my computer on and use what it need to use and not a great deal more than that apart from to shut down and restart before calling the IT department to ask for help
I spend about 90% of my time between excel, outlook and our online accounting software so PC just makes a bit more sense for what I do. Also our IT Department have issues with supporting Apples on our server for a reason only known to them.
2015-01-22 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

What's the fastest color?

personally I think I might like the black/pink version over the mauve/white version.
2015-01-22 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt

We have in our computing arsenal, in no order what so ever:

• A HP laptop running Win 8
  • An Asus Netbook running Win7
  • A Surface
  • 3 old PC's in various states of disrepair
  • 2 iPhone 6's (from work)
  • A HTC M8 smartphone
  • A Samsung Galaxy S5
  • 2 other HP laptops provided by the company

Make no mistake, the phones are computing devices, just small and hard to read. That may not be solely because of the screen size, it may have something to do with my eyes.  I hate the Surface. It does not work the way I think these things should function and I an no fan of MS telling me that everything I save will be on Sky Drive. I have changed it, but was a bit surprised early on. The same with Win8 on my HP. Also, there are apps, specifically my Timex Device Agent, that is not available on the Surface, although I think I know how to get around it but haven't worked on it yet.  I hate forced upgrade, all I want is function. That being said, I like the Netbook. It has a keyboard, is small and portable, runs everything I need to use and does so with little configuration on my part. I also understand that Win8 and now Win10 are coming, so I better get used to them. Home computing in general is moving away from keyboards and mice and towards a seamless input process.  It won't be long until we have moved off of touch screens and are using motion/voice detection. Siri is only a step in a long line of computing changes.  Also, look for home computing to be done soley through the phone in the next 10 years or so. Phones with docking stations will be the norm.

2015-01-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Sooooo do I catch up going forwards or backwards in posts?

Got in a 5.5mi run yesterday morning (pause at 4.8 for a promised, and delayed, park stop for Mak). Then had a decent swim last night, especially after the only other person swimming took off his fins. I'm slow, but sheesh! 

2015-01-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Set your FTP where you think it should be based off the info you have. Then do the workout(s) at an appropriate percent for what you want out of them. There is some nice data that can come from having FTP set properly, so don't get in the habit of fooling around with that.

What I'll probably do is keep it at 100% with my FTP at first and see how I feel.  If I feel like the fatigue is too much then I can always drop it down.  I expect this to be an intense week either way.

2015-01-22 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

RE: computers

For gaming I have a Windows 7 desktop with an awesome graphics card.  I pretty much only use that for gaming.  

For home development (Android) I use a cheap Acer Laptop, which is also for Trainerroad.  It's a Windows 8 i3 machine.

For anything else (including at home web surfing) I have a Samsung Chromebook, which is actually the device I use the most.  It's a really great device for anyone who doesn't need a specific Windows program. 

2015-01-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Matt

We have in our computing arsenal, in no order what so ever:

• A HP laptop running Win 8
  • An Asus Netbook running Win7
  • A Surface
  • 3 old PC's in various states of disrepair
  • 2 iPhone 6's (from work)
  • A HTC M8 smartphone
  • A Samsung Galaxy S5
  • 2 other HP laptops provided by the company

Make no mistake, the phones are computing devices, just small and hard to read. That may not be solely because of the screen size, it may have something to do with my eyes.  I hate the Surface. It does not work the way I think these things should function and I an no fan of MS telling me that everything I save will be on Sky Drive. I have changed it, but was a bit surprised early on. The same with Win8 on my HP. Also, there are apps, specifically my Timex Device Agent, that is not available on the Surface, although I think I know how to get around it but haven't worked on it yet.  I hate forced upgrade, all I want is function. That being said, I like the Netbook. It has a keyboard, is small and portable, runs everything I need to use and does so with little configuration on my part. I also understand that Win8 and now Win10 are coming, so I better get used to them. Home computing in general is moving away from keyboards and mice and towards a seamless input process.  It won't be long until we have moved off of touch screens and are using motion/voice detection. Siri is only a step in a long line of computing changes.  Also, look for home computing to be done soley through the phone in the next 10 years or so. Phones with docking stations will be the norm.

I made the switch to Apple laptops about 12 years ago.  We have Dell computers at work and I HATE them.  There is always a problem with the software, the hardware and any other type of ware there is   My agency also gives me a phone.  Unfortunately, it is a blackberry!  Needless to say I'm not a fan - except for the price   It is the only phone I have, so I make do.  I have an I-Pad that I use more than my macbook air, but if i ever got a real smart phone -like the 6+ I would probably give up the i-pad.  But since the new smart phones won't fit in my running shorts' pocket and I need to have my phone with me when on call, even if i decided I wanted to pay for a phone, I probably wouldn't b/c of that.    

2015-01-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Happy Battle of Rorke's Drift day fellow Manatees.
2015-01-22 9:46 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Matt

A number of people in my office have Surfaces.  We've had a LOT of problems with them, which, although covered by warranty, have been extremely frustrating.  About a 1/3 of them have had to be returned for new ones.

2015-01-22 9:55 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy Battle of Rorke's Drift day fellow Manatees.

Thanks!  You too! Do you watch the movie Zulu all day long to celebrate? 

2015-01-22 10:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

What I'll probably do is keep it at 100% with my FTP at first and see how I feel.  If I feel like the fatigue is too much then I can always drop it down.  I expect this to be an intense week either way.

To say the least.

2015-01-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Went to Saguaro National Park today. Aptly named! Not sure I've ever seen so many of them in one area. Literally, a forest of cacti...minus any shade. Whew! It was really, really warm. I was pouring water into and over the kids to keep them cooled. We hiked up a river bed and climbed dry waterfalls. Ok, the kids wanted to climb everything.

Saguaros can live 200 years, but they grow very slowly. This baby (pic) I found was only 1-2" tall, which makes it around 10 years old.

Very cool - all three pics!

Showed the Better Half and the Kids the saguaro pic.  Imagine if we grew that slowly... the kids would be in the house until they're 50!

Of course, that might happen anyway...  

Matt

Ha! yes, I did think about that as I was reading about the saguaros in the visitor center. Plus I think they might be just as prickly for almost a decade.  I do have a few years til then though.

2015-01-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'd love some additional feedback on the comment above. 

My TR virtual power FTP is 295 based on a 20 minute test done a little over two years ago.  I repeated the test going into my build period last year and had a lousy result (more like 275), but I felt that wasn't very indicative of my real number, so I've kept it there ever since. 

I've been doing base training (mostly Z2, some Z3, a tad of Z4 and some force efforts) over the past three months, averaging around 200 TSS per week.  As I've progressed I've noticed the Z2/Z3 stuff feels pretty easy, but once I hit 95% or so of FTP I fall apart.  Maybe it's where I am in the periodization of my plan.

I've done a couple of "practice" tests on Sufferfest videos the last week:  The Rookie (nailed the intervals +/- errors in accelerating, etc.) and Hell Hath No Fury (had a good first 20' set, then the wheels fell off). 

So, based on the comment above plus what I've described, i'm thinking of leaving FTP where it is and dropping the TR workout effort by x% depending on the type of workout. 

2015-01-22 10:40 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Another tragic hit and run reported today in Velonews.  One cyclist killed, another seriously injured in hit and run in southern FL.  At least the guy turned himself in a short time later.

2015-01-22 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'd love some additional feedback on the comment above. 

My TR virtual power FTP is 295 based on a 20 minute test done a little over two years ago.  I repeated the test going into my build period last year and had a lousy result (more like 275), but I felt that wasn't very indicative of my real number, so I've kept it there ever since. 

I've been doing base training (mostly Z2, some Z3, a tad of Z4 and some force efforts) over the past three months, averaging around 200 TSS per week.  As I've progressed I've noticed the Z2/Z3 stuff feels pretty easy, but once I hit 95% or so of FTP I fall apart.  Maybe it's where I am in the periodization of my plan.

I've done a couple of "practice" tests on Sufferfest videos the last week:  The Rookie (nailed the intervals +/- errors in accelerating, etc.) and Hell Hath No Fury (had a good first 20' set, then the wheels fell off). 

So, based on the comment above plus what I've described, i'm thinking of leaving FTP where it is and dropping the TR workout effort by x% depending on the type of workout. 

I've adopted the Jack Daniels thought process when it comes to this.  If you can't prove it in a test or race, then it doesn't count.  As for the rest you can play by feel, since you aren't sure at the moment what your FTP is.  I will say that completing The Rookie correctly probably means you're in good shape.

2015-01-22 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

When I bought my tablet (Galaxy Tab S), I seriously looked into the Surface 3. It's an awesome piece of technology, but holey moley the sticker shock!!! At the time (six months ago) it was $1299 WITHOUT the keyboard.

Totally agreed.  If it weren't a work computer, I'd still be using my mac airbook (what the heck is the official name of that thing?) exclusively, rather than just as a home computer.

That said, I can justify it for work, as the surface characteristics are what I need there (but less so at home, where other solutions could work - even though I'm using the surface there, too!).

Matt

2015-01-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Sooooo do I catch up going forwards or backwards in posts?

Got in a 5.5mi run yesterday morning (pause at 4.8 for a promised, and delayed, park stop for Mak). Then had a decent swim last night, especially after the only other person swimming took off his fins. I'm slow, but sheesh! 

Ha!  Happened to me last night, too, whilst sharing a lane.  All of a sudden some mer-swimmer zooms past doing fly with fins on (and she was actually quite fast without them, as it turned out, too).  But the fins just buried me!

Matt

2015-01-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

Matt

A number of people in my office have Surfaces.  We've had a LOT of problems with them, which, although covered by warranty, have been extremely frustrating.  About a 1/3 of them have had to be returned for new ones.

Wow - that sux!  Had the same experience a couple years ago at a different company when we tried the surface 2's.  This time my whole team has the 3's and we haven't had issues.  I wonder if, like so many (GARMIN!) products, the first couple builds can be spotty wrt quality?

Matt

2015-01-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy Battle of Rorke's Drift day fellow Manatees.

Thanks!  You too! Do you watch the movie Zulu all day long to celebrate? 

Apologies for the lack of consolidation among my posts - who knew I'd have so much to say on a rainy morning. 

Buuuut.....  I LOVE THAT MOVIE and think about it fairly frequently, even having not seen it in a few years.  Badazzes all around in that one...  Much to learn from it, good and bad.

Makes me glad that my battles are around how to help patients, be an ever better dad/"Other Half", with myself to push harder during training and racing, etc.  Very lucky, indeed!

Matt

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55468 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.