BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-01 5:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

On the subject of mildew, I have what appear to be alien life forms growing in all my bike bottles. (Yes, I wash them after each use with dish soap and a bottle brush. But I believe they never get dry.) Anyone have any good home remedies to clear out the sludge/mold/alien life forms?
Try filling them a third of the way with white vinegar, let it sit for 5 minutes and then put the lid on and give them a really good shake then tip the vinegar out. Repeat if nesecery. You will need to rinse them a few times once you are done so that you get rid of the taste.

I often use vinegar instead of fabric softener in my washing. It leaves towels nice and fluffy but not smelling like vinegar, it might help deter any mildew issues you have with your towels. It also helps to remove the sweat smell that sometimes gets locked into workout clothing even though they have been washed. You don't need much in your rinse cycle though, maybe 1/4 cup at most.

You might also be able to spray your shoes with a solution of 50/50 vinegar and water. It might get rid of the smell, but in have never tried that.

The cat might tolerate a vinegar/water solution better than bleach too.

One other thing it's great for is removing the build up you get in your kettle or coffee machine.

We use vinegar a lot as a cleaning solution and find it to be really effective -basically anything you think about using bleach for you can use vinegar and it's far less toxic.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-11-01 5:42 PM

2016-11-01 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by amd723

PSA- anyone looking for a watch, Clever training and HRMUSA (and maybe amazon) are selling the Garmin920xt for $200.

This is a good deal.  I recently got a Forerunner 235, but I'm really missing the four data screens.  Anyone want a 235, so I can get a 920?

I recently got a 735XT (the tri version of the 235) and I'm loving it.

It has four data screens with 3 customisable fields on each screen. Slightly cheaper than a 920 (normally maybe not when they are on sale. From what I can tell at a quick glance it has all the same stuff as the 920 but it has inbuilt wrist heart rate (as well as the ability to pair to HRM straps). It's also a little smaller than a 920 and for me is much more wearable as an all day watch (which is what I do).

With regards to the heart rate accuracy - I never pay much attention to heart rate when I train anyway and my friend has a 235 (same HRM in both watches) and recently had to do a cardiac stress test, her watch measured her HR as almost identical to the reading from the medical equipment so that's close enough for me.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-11-01 5:32 PM
2016-11-01 5:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I don't know that one should train specifically to get better at burning fat, but rather to train appropriately in general and then for the race in mind, and let something like this come to where it does as a result of that training. Could work into one of those logical fallacies, getting in one's own way again. Remember that just getting into better shape can raise up everything.

Oh so just training in the first place would help then
2016-11-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...
I am so sad to read this. Amazing how someone that you never met can have such an impact.

(I really should read from the bottom when I catch up - I'm sorry to be an insensitive jerk with my posts this morning.)
2016-11-01 6:57 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just saw the sad news too this AM. If there's a heaven, I'm sure Steve is in it and they have access to BT and he is having a good laugh over our discussion of bleaching the cat. No bleach for her. Since it might just be a skin sensitivity issue, I think I'll steer clear of putting anything on her. (Anyway would get mauled if I tried. The little one is the feisty one.)
2016-11-01 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK

PSA- anyone looking for a watch, Clever training and HRMUSA (and maybe amazon) are selling the Garmin920xt for $200.

This is a good deal.  I recently got a Forerunner 235, but I'm really missing the four data screens.  Anyone want a 235, so I can get a 920?

I recently got a 735XT (the tri version of the 235) and I'm loving it. It has four data screens with 3 customisable fields on each screen. Slightly cheaper than a 920 (normally maybe not when they are on sale. From what I can tell at a quick glance it has all the same stuff as the 920 but it has inbuilt wrist heart rate (as well as the ability to pair to HRM straps). It's also a little smaller than a 920 and for me is much more wearable as an all day watch (which is what I do). With regards to the heart rate accuracy - I never pay much attention to heart rate when I train anyway and my friend has a 235 (same HRM in both watches) and recently had to do a cardiac stress test, her watch measured her HR as almost identical to the reading from the medical equipment so that's close enough for me.

The deal on the 920 is really great.  Since chest HR straps don't work for me, the question I have is, which is more annoying, having two straps on my wrist (the other for an optical HR monitor), or only having three data fields per page?

2016-11-01 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...
I am so sad to read this. Amazing how someone that you never met can have such an impact. (I really should read from the bottom when I catch up - I'm sorry to be an insensitive jerk with my posts this morning.)

So sad to hear it.  Death is always hard.

2016-11-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Does anyone have any early season (May, June) 70.3s to recommend?  Just found out Chattanooga 70.3 is sold out.

2016-11-01 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I recently got a 735XT (the tri version of the 235) and I'm loving it. It has four data screens with 3 customisable fields on each screen. Slightly cheaper than a 920 (normally maybe not when they are on sale. From what I can tell at a quick glance it has all the same stuff as the 920 but it has inbuilt wrist heart rate (as well as the ability to pair to HRM straps). It's also a little smaller than a 920 and for me is much more wearable as an all day watch (which is what I do). With regards to the heart rate accuracy - I never pay much attention to heart rate when I train anyway and my friend has a 235 (same HRM in both watches) and recently had to do a cardiac stress test, her watch measured her HR as almost identical to the reading from the medical equipment so that's close enough for me.

The deal on the 920 is really great.  Since chest HR straps don't work for me, the question I have is, which is more annoying, having two straps on my wrist (the other for an optical HR monitor), or only having three data fields per page?

Oh our first world problems
Just to clarify I am laughing at myself here too.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-11-01 11:04 PM
2016-11-01 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Does anyone have any early season (May, June) 70.3s to recommend?  Just found out Chattanooga 70.3 is sold out.

You could come and do Bussleton Western Australia on May 7 2017 its still open

http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/busselt...
2016-11-01 11:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you like it warm, there is Vietnam. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! I think I will be giving it a miss this year. I really want to get my best time down before I get too old to pursue such things, and it's pretty much a given that one's best time is not going to happen in a race with heat index of 100-120, even if it is basically flat. But if the goal is just to do a race at that time, it's a pleasant and family-friendly destination. Last year was the first time I've raced in Vietnam that there was a jellyfish issue; I think that happens only occasionally at the time of year. It is somewhat of a long trip and a production to get the visa, though. You would also need to be prepared for potentially challenging conditions on the swim--my races in Central Vietnam have ranged from a bit lively to unpleasantly rough. It just seems to vary depending on prevailing winds and weather. Danang has never been really bad; have had more issues a bit further up and down the coast (Hoi An and Lang Co).

2016-11-02 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...

So very sad.  He will be missed.

2016-11-02 8:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

Oh our first world problems Just to clarify I am laughing at myself here too.

Had to deal with something like that awhile back too. Got used to 3 fields and some scrolling, when needed. Eventually didn't need to scroll as much either. I liked how the lighter watch felt too. With the heavier 310, it would slap and end up bruising with all the running I was doing or I'd have to pull it too tight that it would dig into my wrist plus risk eventually snapping the band.

It is a nice deal, but it's still several hundred dollars, so would pass on it since this seems to trade problems instead of fix things. Extra charging & data management would be fun too.

2016-11-02 8:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

Had a surprise in Strava this morning as some guy I never heard of before gave a bunch of Kudos. We don't follow each other. We're not in any of the same groups or clubs. I have enhanced privacy on. He's in a completely different part of the country, and no fly-bys. Some of these were indoor rides, so no GPS data. Still trying to figure out how.

2016-11-02 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh our first world problems Just to clarify I am laughing at myself here too.

Had to deal with something like that awhile back too. Got used to 3 fields and some scrolling, when needed. Eventually didn't need to scroll as much either. I liked how the lighter watch felt too. With the heavier 310, it would slap and end up bruising with all the running I was doing or I'd have to pull it too tight that it would dig into my wrist plus risk eventually snapping the band.

It is a nice deal, but it's still several hundred dollars, so would pass on it since this seems to trade problems instead of fix things. Extra charging & data management would be fun too.

I think the watch Tom recently bought is a running specific watch, so if he needs/wants a dedicated tri watch then the 920 at this price point may make sense. However, if he won't use the swim and bike functions for whatever reasons, then I would be hard pressed to recommend buying the 920. Unless he just likes gadgets!

The 735 looks really nice and was one I considered, but at 2x the cost (with this sale) and with it's shorter battery life; which will only be a factor if I decide to do an IM, I went with the 920.  I wish it was as small as the 735, but I wear a vivoactive for daily watch use, so that isn't as much of a concern. 

But Staci is right, such first world problems!!

2016-11-02 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Had a surprise in Strava this morning as some guy I never heard of before gave a bunch of Kudos. We don't follow each other. We're not in any of the same groups or clubs. I have enhanced privacy on. He's in a completely different part of the country, and no fly-bys. Some of these were indoor rides, so no GPS data. Still trying to figure out how.

That is weird! I've had a few unknowns give me kudos, but I don't have enhanced privacy on. Still, it always surprises me when some random person does that - especially since I'm not exactly tearing it up!

2016-11-02 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You have a stalker!

2016-11-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

You have a stalker!

How do you turn enhanced privacy on or do you know how you can block someone?? I definitely have a Strava stalker that I'm convinced is going to be sitting outside my house looking for a high five one of these days. I've never come across him, has a very creepy profile picture and loves giving me kudos on everything I do.
2016-11-02 9:57 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Crud.  So very, very sad, but thanks for letting us know.  My 10K this weekend will now more than ever be a Strides for Steve run.

2016-11-02 10:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook

You have a stalker!

How do you turn enhanced privacy on or do you know how you can block someone?? I definitely have a Strava stalker that I'm convinced is going to be sitting outside my house looking for a high five one of these days. I've never come across him, has a very creepy profile picture and loves giving me kudos on everything I do.

On the website, one of the drop down icons in the upper right, select Settings. Left side menu, select Privacy. There is a whole list of things you can do then.

ETA: Found the privacy zones can now be made much bigger than before. Up to 5/8 mile radius. Don't know if anyone would see the short runs I do share!

Edited by brigby1 2016-11-02 10:22 AM
2016-11-02 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I took a look at Strava after reading this. Turns out some guy from Austin just gave me kudos on my last 6 activities. I really haven't given too much thought to the random follow or kudo, but this just struck me as weird.

2016-11-02 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

okay, story time. I went into a business program in college at 19 in-spite of my parents insistence that I should be looking at the trades, specifically electrical. I as a 19 year old knew better but after 15+ years of hating work in business I decided to go back to school into and electrical engineering program. My dad worked at Bruce Power as a Control Technician for most of his career and I had set high hopes and expectations of getting there as well. For the last 5 years I have straddled the 2 worlds as a sort of hybrid tech support / presales eng / product manager for a industrial electronics/electrical sales company. Its been a long haul including a year long evaluation process (interviews and testing) and it seems that I have overshot my expectations and ended up being offered the role of Nuclear Operator which basically oversees the operation of the Nuclear plant. The move is to Kincardine - a small lake side town where I grew up. My wife and I are both from small towns and pretty much hate the city and I am looking forward to not sitting in traffic for 2.5 to 3hrs per day.
2016-11-02 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

So very sad.  He will be missed.

Oh that sucks.
2016-11-02 10:30 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

okay, story time. I went into a business program in college at 19 in-spite of my parents insistence that I should be looking at the trades, specifically electrical. I as a 19 year old knew better but after 15+ years of hating work in business I decided to go back to school into and electrical engineering program. My dad worked at Bruce Power as a Control Technician for most of his career and I had set high hopes and expectations of getting there as well. For the last 5 years I have straddled the 2 worlds as a sort of hybrid tech support / presales eng / product manager for a industrial electronics/electrical sales company. Its been a long haul including a year long evaluation process (interviews and testing) and it seems that I have overshot my expectations and ended up being offered the role of Nuclear Operator which basically oversees the operation of the Nuclear plant. The move is to Kincardine - a small lake side town where I grew up. My wife and I are both from small towns and pretty much hate the city and I am looking forward to not sitting in traffic for 2.5 to 3hrs per day.

Very cool, congratulations!

2016-11-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

I took a look at Strava after reading this. Turns out some guy from Austin just gave me kudos on my last 6 activities. I really haven't given too much thought to the random follow or kudo, but this just struck me as weird.

Mine was an Erik Binggeser from Austin. Same for you? I messaged Strava about this. Might be a few days before hearing back.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.