BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello Manatees!

How's the week going so far on Monday? School holidays are done as of today so everyone it seems is back at it.

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

Yes for the challenge!!!

Double YES for the challenge!!!!!!!

2020-01-06 12:13 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Placeholder for an intro to come!  I am going to try to be more active on this forum this year....  I do get the emails for all posts and keep up, but don't check in so often.  Resolution #1 .  Will get an intro done by the end of the week.  Back to work/school and I have caught a cold, so bit of a mess right now!

2020-01-06 12:18 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Placeholder for an intro to come!  I am going to try to be more active on this forum this year....  I do get the emails for all posts and keep up, but don't check in so often.  Resolution #1 .  Will get an intro done by the end of the week.  Back to work/school and I have caught a cold, so bit of a mess right now!

Welcome back, Kirsten!

2020-01-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hope your cold goes away asap, Kristen!

I am very much into the challenge, I need it... I only have gym membership until mid-April, and would need to make the best use of it. But lazyness is often so tempting

Happy Monday everyone!
2020-01-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Well, I'm starting the year off with a sprained ankle 

Slipped on a pine cone Saturday just minutes into my long run (a blessing I suppose that I didn't have to walk back home too far). Got x-rays yesterday and there are no broken bones, but I was having VIVID flashbacks to when I broke my leg in 2015. Taking advantage of the doc's recommendation to "stay home" for a few days and working from home loaded up on industrial strength ibuprofen and icing the ol' ankle. Counting my blessings, but....ugh.

2020-01-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

Slipped on a pine cone Saturday just minutes into my long run (a blessing I suppose that I didn't have to walk back home too far). Got x-rays yesterday and there are no broken bones, but I was having VIVID flashbacks to when I broke my leg in 2015. Taking advantage of the doc's recommendation to "stay home" for a few days and working from home loaded up on industrial strength ibuprofen and icing the ol' ankle. Counting my blessings, but....ugh.

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I hope the recovery goes well and pain free :/

2020-01-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

Being new here, I'm not familiar with what a JoGo challenge is. Can someone explain what it is?  --Tom

2020-01-06 2:52 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

sorry - this sucks.
2020-01-06 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Take care, Lisa!

2020-01-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I'm off to the local ski "mountain" tonight - my friend signed me up to be a ski coach with special olympics. I was assigned to her daughter so at least I already know my athlete. I'm excited about it but a lil nervous. I feel like such a newbie because I don't know the ski area and I have NO Idea what I'm doing. At least I was able to get to VT to get my skis and boots out of my locker this weekend (5 hour roundtrip).

Wish me luck! But I forgot my garmin.....does that mean it doesn't count as a workout?
2020-01-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I'm off to the local ski "mountain" tonight - my friend signed me up to be a ski coach with special olympics. I was assigned to her daughter so at least I already know my athlete. I'm excited about it but a lil nervous. I feel like such a newbie because I don't know the ski area and I have NO Idea what I'm doing. At least I was able to get to VT to get my skis and boots out of my locker this weekend (5 hour roundtrip). Wish me luck! But I forgot my garmin.....does that mean it doesn't count as a workout?

Well, maybe there is some phone app that you can use to get it into Strava.  You know what they say, "Strava or it didn't happen."

2020-01-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Being new here, I'm not familiar with what a JoGo challenge is. Can someone explain what it is?  --Tom

Well, it started off as a do something every day for a month (you get to decide what "something" is) back when we had a Manatee whose username was JoGo.  In the recent past, it has morphed more into a Pick Your Own challenge -- weight and/or keep on moving and/or eating well and/or strength/core/yoga.

What we need to decide is the dates.  Do we want to start next Monday?  And how many weeks to we want?  Last year it was Jan 14-Mar 2 or something.  (Yes, I found the spreadsheet)

2020-01-06 3:15 PM

User image

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
2020-01-06 3:17 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

NAME: BlueBoy26 / Curtis

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava (https://https://www.strava.com/athletes/36919506).

STORY: I turn 42 this year, married with three children, and a full miniature hobby farm. We live in the central-eastern part of Oklahoma where we are 2-3 hours from Tulsa, OK,  Fort Smith, Arkansas, Dallas, TX, and Oklahoma City, OK on the North, East, South, West respectively.   I’ve worked at National Oilwell Varco as a pump engineer for 15+ years doing technical sales, product engineering, manufacturing support, and project support.  That time has been an evening split between manufacturing facilities in Tulsa, OK, Marble Falls, TX, and McAlester, OK.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three elementary age daughters that we home school.

CURRENT TRAINING: I took about 6 weeks off after my last race in October and started back into my 2020 training at the end of November.  worked with BSC Multisport for coaching/training plans for my 2018 season and have been self-coached since then. I am building volume right now.

I build a wish list of Races in November and there were about 20 races on it.  I decided to cut the list down to just three.  I am still toying with a few of the triathlons that I cut from the list so everything is subject to change but here is how it stands as of today.

1) USAT Oklahoma State Championship Olympic Triathlon (Rt 66 Triathlon, El Reno, OK) Saturday, June 6, 2020

2) USAT National Championship Olympic Triathlon (Milwaukee, WI) Saturday, August 8, 2020 

3) Redman Triathlon 70.3 (Oklahoma City, OK) Saturday, September 19, 2020

Goals -- I am starting a Youth Running Club this month to do some races in April (parent meeting is tomorrow at 12:30 PM). If all goes well with that I want to do a reprise of that at the end of the summer to gear up some of the local youth to do a kids triathlon or two at the end of the summer.  This goal was inspired by the USAT Foundation. They make grants available to youth Triathlon programs.  I won't be doing a full USAT Foundation youth program or applying for any type of grants but thought that I could still do something to give back to the community even though my set of skills is generally considered exotic and futile in the part of the country I live.     

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I enjoy an active group and look forward to learning from others and following all our Manatees friends on their 2020 endeavors.   I will keep my training log updated and check in regularly even if it is just to say that I have been procrastinating or overwhelmed.  

2020-01-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Welcome Curtis! I used to live just north of you in Wichita. Redman is one of my favorite races and I miss being able to do it! 

2020-01-06 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Curtis!

I look forward to getting to know you!

2020-01-06 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Welcome Curtis!

2020-01-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

NAME: Jason

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I have a Facebook account that I am in the process of deactivating because it has become too distracting and too political for me to keep my sanity. I am also in the process of setting up Strava and Zwift accounts, and look forward to joining in others’ training logs.

STORY: I am currently 44, married, and have a 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I live in Alaska and work in the legal field. I grew up playing sports of all kinds, soccer, football, basketball, baseball, but really did not do much after high school. This also included having a pool in my backyard growing up in California and swimming very early in life, swimming competitively some and playing water polo. Fast forward many years of college, law school, and working in a very busy field and I sit here way out of shape and realizing changes are needed. I have been somewhat obsessed with triathlon for a couple of years now, in that I read about it, watch it whenever I can, and every so often bike, swim and run. I swim far more often than the others because that’s my comfort zone. I rode a bike nearly every day of my childhood, but have found the miles in my 40’s extremely difficult. Historically I have absolutely hated running, but am currently working my way through C25K and find the gains pretty rewarding.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids, 15 and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: Working my way through C25K for running. I’ve developed somewhat of a game plan for swimming and biking that simply starts with small amounts and continues to work up, but I need to come up with a much better plan.

THIS YEAR’S RACES/EVENTS: My goal is to get through a couple of sprints and possibly an Olympic distance tri this summer. I would be extremely happy if by the end of the year I could complete the individual distances for a half IM (i.e. not all in one setting, just be able to do those distances on their own).

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Get in better shape, consistently work on improving things, and simply cross the finish line at some events. Part of my reason for joining the group is that I want to learn from others how to use things like Strava, Zwift, Training Peaks, etc., because seeing progress numbers on paper tends to motivate me.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Honestly, I don’t know the answer to this. Right now, perhaps nothing. I don’t know what I have to offer at this point, and am simply hoping the group will accept me as a newbie, and that in a year I will have far more to offer. I scrolled through the mentor group archives and was back and forth on whether to join this group or one other. I found the folks in this group to be a little intimidating – many of you have been doing this for quite a while – and wondered how I could fit in. But I read through this entire thread. When I read Laura’s bio and it said “Too often I spend a lot of energy making plans and trying to improve, when really I should just be focusing on showing up and doing the work,” I knew that phrase matched exactly where I am at. I’ve read a number of books on the subject, read through a ton here on the forum…at some point I simply have to show up and do the work. So here I am.
2020-01-06 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Jason!

Let us know when you are on Zwift and Strava!

2020-01-06 10:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Welcome Jason!
Don't feel intimidated... We are a very cool (if not the coolest!) group that offers tons of support
There is a lot of extremely experienced folks here, but that is only an advantage - as you can ask any questions and find advice from training to nutrition, to equipment, to choosing your race, to beer tasting

Motivation and support are the best part of this group.

Also... I am so jealous of Alaska! It is on mine (and my kids') "to visit" list
2020-01-07 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by alaskatri NAME: Jason OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I have a Facebook account that I am in the process of deactivating because it has become too distracting and too political for me to keep my sanity. I am also in the process of setting up Strava and Zwift accounts, and look forward to joining in others’ training logs. STORY: I am currently 44, married, and have a 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I live in Alaska and work in the legal field. I grew up playing sports of all kinds, soccer, football, basketball, baseball, but really did not do much after high school. This also included having a pool in my backyard growing up in California and swimming very early in life, swimming competitively some and playing water polo. Fast forward many years of college, law school, and working in a very busy field and I sit here way out of shape and realizing changes are needed. I have been somewhat obsessed with triathlon for a couple of years now, in that I read about it, watch it whenever I can, and every so often bike, swim and run. I swim far more often than the others because that’s my comfort zone. I rode a bike nearly every day of my childhood, but have found the miles in my 40’s extremely difficult. Historically I have absolutely hated running, but am currently working my way through C25K and find the gains pretty rewarding. FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids, 15 and 11. CURRENT TRAINING: Working my way through C25K for running. I’ve developed somewhat of a game plan for swimming and biking that simply starts with small amounts and continues to work up, but I need to come up with a much better plan. THIS YEAR’S RACES/EVENTS: My goal is to get through a couple of sprints and possibly an Olympic distance tri this summer. I would be extremely happy if by the end of the year I could complete the individual distances for a half IM (i.e. not all in one setting, just be able to do those distances on their own). GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Get in better shape, consistently work on improving things, and simply cross the finish line at some events. Part of my reason for joining the group is that I want to learn from others how to use things like Strava, Zwift, Training Peaks, etc., because seeing progress numbers on paper tends to motivate me. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Honestly, I don’t know the answer to this. Right now, perhaps nothing. I don’t know what I have to offer at this point, and am simply hoping the group will accept me as a newbie, and that in a year I will have far more to offer. I scrolled through the mentor group archives and was back and forth on whether to join this group or one other. I found the folks in this group to be a little intimidating – many of you have been doing this for quite a while – and wondered how I could fit in. But I read through this entire thread. When I read Laura’s bio and it said “Too often I spend a lot of energy making plans and trying to improve, when really I should just be focusing on showing up and doing the work,” I knew that phrase matched exactly where I am at. I’ve read a number of books on the subject, read through a ton here on the forum…at some point I simply have to show up and do the work. So here I am.

Welcome to the group, you will fit in perfectly.  Please ask as many questions as you want and please offer up advice.  We all have something to contribute. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

2020-01-07 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good Morning all. I hope all is well wherever you may be, far flung as we are. I haven't yet taken the opportunity to welcome everyone, new and veteran members of the Manatee Pod. I am in a bit of a digital reduction, trying to think through my online time. I have found that it can be a bit of a time suck, and really, how many cat videos and memes does one man need to watch/read? That said, I will be checking in here and reading the thread through email, as this is one of the online areas that does help me. I am in for the Jogo Challenge. Janyne, I can clean up the sheet this evening after my night ride. I can't get to Google docs anymore from work, so lunch time is out of the question. I like y'all, but doing that stuff on the phone is a bit much for these eyes.

A welcome to new members, Jason, Curtis, Sheri and Tom. I hope this group can help you in some way and that you are able to share some of your experiences (be it triathlon or life or whatever). I can understand someone being a bit intimidated, but give it a bit of time and you'll be moving forward along with the group. One of the items that makes me happiest with this group is the support goes beyond tri's and has helped me in other aspects of life as well. Simply stated, these are good people. Also, I may be biased.

A welcome to all of the returning members as well. Hello again Karen, Kirsten, Jen, Jen, Robin, Robin, Hands, Melanie, Laura, Lisa, Jim, Nancy, Nate, Adam, Marysia, Randee, and long missing member Mark.

And a big thank you and hello to everyone's friend, Janyne. I think I speak for many when I say that your work and care have kept us together, growing, and giving for years now. We wouldn't be here without you.

2020-01-07 6:55 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Good Morning all. I hope all is well wherever you may be, far flung as we are. I haven't yet taken the opportunity to welcome everyone, new and veteran members of the Manatee Pod. I am in a bit of a digital reduction, trying to think through my online time. I have found that it can be a bit of a time suck, and really, how many cat videos and memes does one man need to watch/read? That said, I will be checking in here and reading the thread through email, as this is one of the online areas that does help me. I am in for the Jogo Challenge. Janyne, I can clean up the sheet this evening after my night ride. I can't get to Google docs anymore from work, so lunch time is out of the question. I like y'all, but doing that stuff on the phone is a bit much for these eyes.

A welcome to new members, Jason, Curtis, Sheri and Tom. I hope this group can help you in some way and that you are able to share some of your experiences (be it triathlon or life or whatever). I can understand someone being a bit intimidated, but give it a bit of time and you'll be moving forward along with the group. One of the items that makes me happiest with this group is the support goes beyond tri's and has helped me in other aspects of life as well. Simply stated, these are good people. Also, I may be biased.

A welcome to all of the returning members as well. Hello again Karen, Kirsten, Jen, Jen, Robin, Robin, Hands, Melanie, Laura, Lisa, Jim, Nancy, Nate, Adam, Marysia, Randee, and long missing member Mark.

And a big thank you and hello to everyone's friend, Janyne. I think I speak for many when I say that your work and care have kept us together, growing, and giving for years now. We wouldn't be here without you.

OMG! Over the holidays I was doing some group rides on Zwift. They were all texting (there is in game messaging) and I wanted to text too. I started to keep and old pair of glasses next to my trainer

2020-01-07 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

2020-01-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Buckshot

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

We have some Manatees that use Zwift, some use TrainerRoad, and some use The Sufferfest.

I believe that all there will allow you to select erg mode to hold a specific wattage during workouts. I think that the TrainerRoad and Sufferfest structured training is pretty darn good.

My coaching group gives us custom structured workouts for Zwift and I use those.  I also participate in group rides and races on Zwift.  Basically, my training plan tells me how long and what wattage for my long rides.  I then calculate a watts/kg range for myself and try to find an appropriate group ride.  It's more entertaining to me to spend 2+ hours with a "group" than by myself. Sometimes they tell jokes like:

Why did the M&M go back to school?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127